PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: The Movie. Bluray Review.

turtle boy
12th July 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, we all knew this would happen, Mad Man has released TFTM(86) on Bluray disk. At an over inflated price of $34.99, I was disappointed to find out that there is nothing new featured on the disk, despite the massive amount of space that BRD's are known for.

To my sadness, the past 3 releases of the film have not had the Star Wars style scrolling text at the beginning. Which we here in Australia (not me, I was to young :() and in the UK got in theoretical releases and this is no exception, but I suppose that bringing the movie out again would encourage younger fans to buy it, and with the scrolling text, would give the story away.

I have, so far tried to watch it 3 times, but all being failures, I fell asleep twice cause of the time of the morning I was laying in bed watching it, I also tried to watch it yesterday morning, but to no avail. So I'm watching it as I write this up.

Displayed in 1080P, the picture quality and color is amazing and my brother who cant tell the difference in Bluray and DVD can see it in this. The video also appears to play quicker, I'm not sure if it's just me or this is actually happening. it would seem that they have fixed alot of the scratchiness of the picture, and that makes up for the lack of new features.

The lighting in the film is 100% better, random flashes in the Autobot city battle look a hell of alot better and every time I see one, I want to see another.
Springer and Arcee just transformed the city, and the transformation looks great, the White and Orange displayed in full HD is just beautiful.

We are at one of the highlights of the movie, Prime and Megs, as prime transformed, the camera did a quick flash of a group of Cons running across the city. I could see them all clearly and name them all, i couldn't do this on any of the DVDs I have of the film.

"The Decepticons are retreating". The gun shots from Arcee and Cup in that scene look really good, almost like they have been redone completely. Prime is now dead, the matrix has been passed and Unicron is pissed, I am unsure who did the animation on the inside of Cron but they deserve an award, looks brilliant. The transformation of Megs into Galvi is crazy, you can see each line making up his internal mechanics. Making that scene a real joy and new excitement to watch.

The sound isn't much better IMO, but then again, I'm using the speakers on my tv, not my surround sound system.

In the Bios of all the transformers that have a large roll in the film, it says that Skywarp was made into Cyclonus, not Kickback who is clearly in the for-ground.

Ok I haven't seen past where I am in the movie right now on BR, so I'm signing off to complete my viewing.

I'll finish this after the movie :)

Sky Shadow
12th July 2009, 03:16 PM
In the Bios of all the transformers that have a large roll in the film, it says that Skywarp was made into Cyclonus, not Kickback who is clearly in the for-ground.

It's actually Bombshell in the foreground, not Kickback. And a bunch of Australian fans wrote that bio for the Madman DVD release in 2003, so it's relatively meaningless. The same bios say that Bombshell is a Sweep, which is absolute bollocks (Kickback and Shrapnel were Sweeps, but Bombshell definitely was not.) The way Unicron narrates it, Bombshell is Cyclonus and Skywarp is his Armada. The way it was storyboarded:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4140/bombshelltocyclonusstor.jpg
Bombshell is Cyclonus. (Even in the recent IDW Transformers: The Movie Adaptation, Bombshell is Cyclonus.) A bunch of people got together and wrote inaccuracies in some DVD extras, but I don't believe it makes it true.

(I actually first wrote about this issue six years ago:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.toys.transformers/browse_thread/thread/6000ac9cf3a340fe/016cc1d682de756e?hl=en%10cc1d682de756e)

Enjoy the rest of the movie!

Sky Shadow
12th July 2009, 03:56 PM
P.S. At this point I can't actually remember who wrote the DVD extras (sorry if it's anyone here and they take offence) but, as I also said back in in 2003, I "have nothing but the highest regard for fans in question, just that it's alerted me to a quandary that has only stated to rear its head over the past couple of years which could be dubbed something along the lines of 'official fan retconning.'":

http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.toys.transformers/msg/4c267a8eb7b02d52?hl=en%10cc1d682de756e

funkyaw
12th July 2009, 06:30 PM
It was an impulse buy for me. Just waiting at Westfields and I saw it on the display shelf at Sanity and thought why not? even though I already have both Madman DVD releases.

My subjective assessment was that the Bluray version was just a bit sharper in picture than the DVD releases. Whether it was my mind playing mind games to justify the purchase or not is another thing...

Jetfire
13th July 2009, 12:40 PM
I have this on HDDVD. I'll stick with it. I think the extras are identical.

Gutsman Heavy
13th July 2009, 02:05 PM
Jetfire, this is a review of the 86 animated film, not the 2007 flick. the 86 film was never issued on HD-DVD

Jetfire
13th July 2009, 02:46 PM
Jetfire, this is a review of the 86 animated film, not the 2007 flick. the 86 film was never issued on HD-DVD

I stand corrected

Bartrim
13th July 2009, 04:49 PM
To my sadness, the past 3 releases of the film have not had the Star Wars style scrolling text at the beginning.

The first single disc copy I bought had the scrolling text at the start of the movie.:)

The_Damned
13th July 2009, 04:54 PM
i just got this on blueray as well and it looks amazing compared to dvd.:cool:

TheDirtyDigger
27th July 2009, 11:56 AM
Sweet. Going on the strengths of your convictions lads, I'm getting this on Blu Ray.

primatives
29th July 2009, 05:49 PM
Just for those who arent seeing a big difference in quality with the DVD version and Blu-Ray. Double check that your TV is capable of displaying the full 1080p high definition picture and you MUST have a HDMI cable to see the difference, if you're using standard RCA cables then the quality will be just like DVD. Just thought I'd point it out :)

Gutsman Heavy
29th July 2009, 06:30 PM
RGB cables also work.

AussieJason
29th July 2009, 07:23 PM
RGB cables also work.

Good to hear as I'm using component / RGB. I'll have to get a HDMI cable sometime for my Blu-Ray player though.

I assume it's the widescreen version ?

Gutsman Heavy
29th July 2009, 11:30 PM
it is