PDA

View Full Version : RotF in comparison to TF1

SilverDragon
12th July 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm curious as to whether people thought that RotF was better, worse, or about the same as the first film in the series.

I initially thought it was better, on account of the increased robot action, but now I think about it, it was kind of on the same level as the first film.

The_Damned
12th July 2009, 07:38 PM
thought they were of the same caliber with rotf being a little more exciting

SofaMan
12th July 2009, 07:53 PM
TF2 was overlong to a greater extent than the first film. A lot of the direction was sloppy. It was underplotted, and despite its gargantuan runtime, characters were underdeveloped. It was more racist and misogynist than the first film. There's something slightly icky about watching a film like this and realising it was made by a 44 year old man. It's tiring waiting for him to act like a grown-up.

I think the first film was far more successful overall; it met the expectations it set for itself. I think the success of the first film made MB lazy with the second.

Gutsman Heavy
12th July 2009, 07:54 PM
ROTF was much, much worse.

Robzy
12th July 2009, 09:44 PM
ROTF was worse, but TF1 was not very good to start with!

RageOnTheRoads
12th July 2009, 10:34 PM
TF 1 was fun. I saw that movie four times, hadn't done that since Jurassic Park. Plus it renewed my interest in transformers. :)

ROTF as others said, felt rushed. My first impression when I walked out of ROTF was the writers strike had actually had a significant effect on the movie- Bay should categorically not be allowed to go anywhere near movie scripts! Now granted I am a glutton for suspension of disbelief, but poor editing and story are another thing altogether... I never, ever thought I could ever feel cold towards Optimus Prime and the autobots. Way to go Bay. :(

SofaMan
12th July 2009, 10:54 PM
I never, ever thought I could ever feel cold towards Optimus Prime and the autobots. Way to go Bay. :(

I know exactly what you mean.

STL
13th July 2009, 12:12 AM
ROTF was worse, but TF1 was not very good to start with!

My exact sentiments.

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2009, 08:44 AM
For those of you who were expecting to dislike ROTF, but went ahead and watched it anyway - just remember that MICHAEL BAY HAS YOUR MONEY! (or monies if you watched it more than once!)

Sure, I've seen it 3 times, but I like RotF! :D That's not to say that I'm blind to its flaws, but I don't find it a dislikeable movie. Anyway, I voted "RotF was worse" - but only marginally for me. I'd give TF1 8/10 whereas I'd give RotF 7/10.

TheDirtyDigger
13th July 2009, 09:11 AM
I was expecting to love it. My expectations were that this was going to be the most brilliant movie ever.

:(

liegeprime
13th July 2009, 10:58 AM
I haven't seen it yet ... yaaaaay!:D:D:D

Well at least Im not going to expect much when I do see it, just like in the first movie, the moment I saw the character pics, meh not expecting much.... saw most of the "xplosions" on the ROTF trailer... means one thing for me , not much story writing here;);), so good thing Im saturating myself with all these data before I really watch the movie, that way Im not dissapointed heheheh.

Jetfire
13th July 2009, 11:38 AM
I voted ROTF is worse. The first film is structured better and I think you can see Steven Spielberg's influence in it, whereas the 2nd is a allout-Bay fest.

For robot-combat action though, the 2nd film wins.

Still inkling to see that forest scene again though (although I might leave after it, lol no)

Seraphim Prime
14th July 2009, 12:05 AM
The pacing and build-up of the first one was so much better. We connected with Sam and his desires, and this tied with Bumblebee, and as a result the greater Autobot desires, with the US soldiers and the Pentagon storyline shwoing the scale of the Decepticon threat.

The second one felt more all over the place and unfocused, in my mind, which weakened it.

Ironhide63
14th July 2009, 06:20 AM
I was expecting to love it. My expectations were that this was going to be the most brilliant movie ever.

:(

that was definitely my problem...for the first movie I didnt follow it at all. And ever since I have been following ROTF. Therefore I WILL NOT be following TF3. I dont wanna spoil what could've and should've been the mo0st awesome movies in history...lol.

Bartrim
14th July 2009, 09:38 AM
I voted ROTF was worse only based on an overall storyline. TF1 felt like a Transformers live action movie. ROTF felt like a saturday morning cartoon. That being said I still enjoyed ROTF and plan to watch it numerous times once I get it on DVD;).

My wife actually prefered ROTF but I think that may be because Megan Fox has less screen time.:D

d*r*j*
15th July 2009, 11:55 AM
I think my first obstacle was faced before even setting foot in the cinema. I had already come to terms with the fact that the toys for this movie were pretty bad. It allowed me to watch this movie as a block buster action movie based on the theme of transformers, rather than a transformers movie within itself. I enjoyed it, the script was pretty thin at times... like most block buster action movies... everything comes together without much realism, a few too many happy coincidences...

G1Optimal
15th July 2009, 12:39 PM
Voted way earlier.... but, forgotten what i voted for think it was.
"They were generally the same in quality"

Reason:
It was good:) but not that good.:(

and now thinking about it could of been better if they added better enthusiastic Music in it... :confused:

Example: Stan Bush "Dare" to the scenes with Prime and Jetfire at the end ;);) (Felt that "i"could not refer directly to what i was getting at due to "that so very remote possibility" of Spoilers.:p:D) as the lyrics do kind of describe that situation which would probably put "Touch" in The Jungle fighting scenes.

Anyway, personally hoping that Bay was directing "TF:ROTF" in a Selective Truth kind of way, where.......
It would stand on it's own but would also lead to TF3 in a way that will not directly follow ROTF Type of thing.

sanbot
15th July 2009, 12:54 PM
I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. ROTF was disappointing and that was after I went to watch it expecting it to be bad! But I still thought both 1 and 2 were the same.

They both had similar storylines imho (though ROTF did have jus a tad bit more action).

Did anyone else think that the desert backdrop in ROTF looks like it was just recycled from the 1st one? Also, does anyone else think that in both movies the ending action sequences were similar i.e. Sam running with something in his possession to save the day?

Paulbot
15th July 2009, 08:20 PM
Did anyone else think that the desert backdrop in ROTF looks like it was just recycled from the 1st one?

Yes, I thought it was supposed to be the same middle east city at first. It looked identical.

GoktimusPrime
15th July 2009, 10:08 PM
I believe the village in Qatar was shot in White Sands New Mexico, whereas the Egyptian village was actually shot on location in Egypt.

G1Optimal
16th July 2009, 06:33 PM
Example: Stan Bush "Dare" to the scenes with Prime and Jetfire at the end ;);) (Felt that "i"could not refer directly to what i was getting at due to "that so very remote possibility" of Spoilers.:p:D) as the lyrics do kind of describe that situation which would probably put "Touch" in The Jungle fighting scenes.

Example of what i meant
Youtube Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxWdu1II5tc):);)

Sorry to post this link ,but....:o
IMO similar music like this is what ROTF also lacked.:(

FFN
16th July 2009, 07:58 PM
I hope you people describing a desire to hear bad 80s music are taking the piss. Bad 80s music don't belong in modern movies, unless it's an 80s flashback/set in the 80s or is intended to be humourous.

I had already come to terms with the fact that the toys for this movie were pretty bad. Leader Class Optimus Prime disputes this, with hooks.

Did anyone else think that the desert backdrop in ROTF looks like it was just recycled from the 1st one? As I recall, much of the desert location filming with explosions was done at White Sands, which was the same military location used to film the Scorponok attack in the first film. Different set, though.

They did do some location filming in Egypt and Jordan for shots that didn't require things blowing up.

Ironhide63
16th July 2009, 08:19 PM
I thought some of the Predator footage was used from the first film...could be wrong, the soundwave footage was used lots of times...

FFN
16th July 2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, the "Predator"* footage was from the first movie.

*It's actually a Reaper drone, but neither has a jet engine.

Paulbot
16th July 2009, 10:18 PM
I hope you people describing a desire to hear bad 80s music are taking the piss. Bad 80s music don't belong in modern movies, unless it's an 80s flashback/set in the 80s or is intended to be humourous.

During Terminator Salvation, John uses loud music to attract a terminator, and the song just happens to be "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N' Roses. For a large portion of the audience it's just a loud rock song, but it was also a fantastic easter egg to the fans who recognise it from Terminator 2.

I would have been overjoyed for something like that in ROTF. Say Soundwave is scanning across radio transmissions and among other music and voices there's a snippet of The Touch or Dare. That sort of easter egg that would make Transfans very happy.

sanbot
24th July 2009, 09:21 AM
During Terminator Salvation, John uses loud music to attract a terminator, and the song just happens to be "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N' Roses. For a large portion of the audience it's just a loud rock song, but it was also a fantastic easter egg to the fans who recognise it from Terminator 2.

I would have been overjoyed for something like that in ROTF. Say Soundwave is scanning across radio transmissions and among other music and voices there's a snippet of The Touch or Dare. That sort of easter egg that would make Transfans very happy.

+1

That moment in Terminator Salvation when they played Guns N Roses was one of the few memorable moments in the movie for me. It brought back fond memories of T2.

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the "Predator"* footage was from the first movie.
I didn't notice that! Man, that's cheap! Then again, it fooled me and saved them money. Ah wells. :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/nigahiga_pwned.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhb89V43KWc) by Michael Bay!

Sky Shadow
24th July 2009, 11:25 AM

Like... Bumblebee being "so excited" or calling Alice a "super freak"?

foor
24th July 2009, 01:34 PM
I really really hated the 2nd movie. I was expecting it to be bad, but to be so abysmally bad is just sad. And the fact that it's made like 700 million now makes me sad that Bay can just pump out another crappy 3rd movie and still get blockbuster takings.