PDA

View Full Version : Hottest 100 of all Time

popculturepooka
13th July 2009, 07:24 AM
What are your thoughts on the outcome?

It was obvious to all that 'Smells like Teen Spirit' would be #1... again.
#2 was a shock to me, but Rage Against the Machine are awesome so it was a pleasant shock.

#3 being a cover song shit me, so did Hilltop Hoods being anywhere in the top 20, that's just insulting.

Sky Shadow
13th July 2009, 10:12 AM
It was a lot of predictable cock rock - only one female vocal in 100 songs, I think. It would have been better if Michael Jackson's body had waited the three days until the voting was over before it killed him - it skewed his appearance in a radio poll by a station who would never play him otherwise. I agree that a whiny Leonard Cohen cover is not great art. Nevertheless, people voted for these songs and I'd agree that a lot of the best pop/rock songs of all time were clearly represented (with a few oddities.)

Paulbot
13th July 2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know half of the songs that made the "Hottest 100" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100,_2009#Hottest_100_of_all_time ). I probably know them if I heard them I guess.

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2009, 11:07 AM
<--only listens to TF music.

fatbot
13th July 2009, 11:34 AM
What a load of crap, gunners barely squeaked into the top 50, there's no alice cooper, no motorhead and worst of all... no stan bush!:mad:

Thanatos
13th July 2009, 12:47 PM
A fun while predictable day however :D

Lord_Zed
13th July 2009, 01:23 PM
I only caught the last 10, Fine with the top 3 there all enjoyable songs. Though I do prefer Leonard Cohen's version just a little over Buckleys.

Also I couldn;t help but notice being dead is also a big boost in the hottest 100, See Michael Jackson, Kurt Cobain, Jeff Buckley, The Joy Divison guy, Fredy Mecury, Jimi Hendrix and more.

shokwave2
13th July 2009, 02:29 PM
only one female vocal in 100 songs, I think.

You forgot to count the Michael Jackson songs;)

jgon2098
13th July 2009, 02:47 PM
metallica 19 wtf. noooo

haha s.o.a.d made it to the top 100, such a long time since i've heard chop suey.

surprised men at work isn't up there...

TheDirtyDigger
13th July 2009, 02:59 PM
metallica 19 wtf. noooo

Yeah I agree. They could have gone a bit higher with that.

Rampage
13th July 2009, 04:00 PM
3x Radiohead songs & hilltop hoods in the top 20 of all time

this is why i don't listen to the radio

JJJ is pretty much the best station & its still full of garbage

popculturepooka
13th July 2009, 04:01 PM
<--only listens to TF music.

worst of all... no stan bush!:mad:

Lol you guys are hilarious.

Bartrim
13th July 2009, 04:41 PM
A very predictable list with the odd bad surprise (I'm lookin at you Hilltop Hoods:mad:). Where is T.I.SM? Where is Spiderbait? Why is the London Calling the only Clash song in there?

What rubbish! However thanks to internet broadcasting I am happily listening to Triple M at work now. :D

loophole
13th July 2009, 05:23 PM
i was quite happy with the top 2 love R.A.T.M., Nirvana was no surprise at all to get no 1 and i dont get how Queen got so high :confused:

The_Damned
13th July 2009, 06:13 PM
i was quite happy with the top 2 love R.A.T.M., Nirvana was no surprise at all to get no 1 and i dont get how Queen got so high :confused:

cause they are awesome.:)

dont know bout jeff buckley

shokwave2
13th July 2009, 07:34 PM
dont know bout jeff buckley

Yeah Buckley is a puss IMO. Nirvana had to be #1. RATM rock hard so they deserve #2. Pearl Jam could have been a few spots higher IMO. Hilltop Hoods are embarassing aussie music (wannabe gangsta rappers that sound like crap).

popculturepooka
13th July 2009, 08:09 PM
I don't mind the hilltop hoods, but they aren't top 20 material.
For aussie hip I far prefer The Herd and possibly Bliss'n'Eso.

autobreadticon
13th July 2009, 11:12 PM
Knights of Cydonia Muse in the top 20 , whahaa massive rockage :)

autobreadticon
13th July 2009, 11:14 PM
also blur song 2 should be higher! :(

Tober
14th July 2009, 04:23 AM
You have to keep their target audience in mind ofcorse. I took a glance over it and there wasn't much from Rolling Stones, Bowie, Dylan, Pink Floyd, Marley, Zepplin, Hendrix.. Nothing from The Eagles, Kiss, INXS, The Sex Pistols, Cold Chisel, The The, The Bee Gees, ABBA, Aerosmith, Dianna Ross, Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Neil Diamond, The Doors etc etc... wrong station...

Kinda suprised about Halleluja too, it's ok but not one of his better songs imo, and I prefer John Cale's cover myself :p

Suprised there wasn't more from Joy Division, New Order, Smiths, Cure, Billy Bragg, Pixies etc... and a complete lack of Bjork!!?? I guess I'm just out of touch.

No R.E.M. !!?? :mad:

Hilltop Hoods are crap. :D No Coldplay too tho (:D). Strange also that there's a complete lack of rap too.. Public Enemy, NWA, Snoop Dogg... or even Eminem etc - not to my tastes but I would have thought they'd be there somewhere.

liegeprime
14th July 2009, 08:06 AM
Hhehehehe Bjork :D:D Everytime I mention that name ( we had a patient with that name before) makes me laugh internally - coz somehow it conjures up an image of Waspinator getting splattered on the wall somewhere and exclaiming "Bjork!" in my head nyehehehehe:D:D:p

i_amtrunks
14th July 2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Liege, I'll now forever have the Waspinator "bjork" noise float in my head when watching BW.

Not a very good top 100, Hilltop Hoods are terrible (but thats the kind of crap that JJJ plays now). Far too many songs from the 90's, and nowhere near enough from the late 60's and 70's.

I think the last few MMM top 100's have been far and away better than the JJJ version. MMM has more Queen and The Who.