PDA

View Full Version : What I like about OTCA...

klystron
16th July 2009, 05:22 PM
I am a member of some car and (push)bike forums, and I am fed-up with the level of "elitism" among the members of these sites. :mad::mad:
The bike one really annoyed me today: if you dont have the right $5k bike than you're cr@p and whatever ride you do have must be cr@p. If you didnt build it from scrap you pinched off someones front lawn during bulk-rubbish collection, you have no street cred.
And so on! :mad::mad:
This site and its members are NOT like that, and I must admit I find it somewhat refreshing.
Sure I lurk alot and dont post much. Sure I only have 60 figures. Sure I dont have any MISB. Sure I dont buy the latest stuff from USA before everyone else. Sure I'm am not a completist.
But I never get made to feel bad about these things. Maybe a little jealous, but not bad. Nor do I ever see someone else being made fun of cause they only have (say) Energon figures and no G1 stuff. (Ha, losers! No just kidding :p)

Anyway, thats my little rant and I feel better already.
Keep up the good work guys.

(Yes, work is slow today...)

Sam
16th July 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I am glad you like it. :)

Saintly
16th July 2009, 10:39 PM
i thought this wasn't a "welcome" thread??? but more of why we like OTCA

besides you two joined within two weeks of each other in 2008, i would hardly say welcome :P

dirge
16th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, klystron _is_ welcome (:

(edit: woohoo! 4500 posts!)

TheDirtyDigger
21st July 2009, 11:17 AM
Nice to hear that klystron.
The culture in any forum or organisation comes from the top down by the people that run it. The reason OTCA is very friendly, welcoming and non-elitist is because Griffin and his team of mods are pretty strict on flamers and troublemakers as well they should be.

I'd love to get stuck into the Beast Wars lovers out there but perhaps it's better that I can't! :D

kup
21st July 2009, 11:27 AM
Nice to hear that klystron.
The culture in any forum or organisation comes from the top down by the people that run it. The reason OTCA is very friendly, welcoming and non-elitist is because Griffin and his team of mods are pretty strict on flamers and troublemakers as well they should be.

I'd love to get stuck into the Beast Wars lovers out there but perhaps it's better that I can't! :D

yeah because you would only get pwned :p

Deceptic_Optic
21st July 2009, 11:33 AM
i like OTCA becausemajority of the members are very friendly and always have the willingness to help, not everybody you will like but thats life you know all in all this forum have all good people in it. and i am very proud to be part of it.

yukitora
1st August 2009, 10:33 PM
At first i was really worried that i wouldn't fit in here. all those collection photos of neet boxes and stuff. i only have about 30 guys, and most of them are carrying sand from the autobot base from 1986! the joints are so rusted or seeled with brick sand, that most dont want to stand up, and they wont pose! (you have to take cyclonus arms off to turn them around!).
But all the guys here have been very kind, and its nice to know that the whole group feels more like a family then a site to bost on. i'd welcome any of you guys if you were passing through townsville.

kup
2nd August 2009, 12:52 AM
At first i was really worried that i wouldn't fit in here. all those collection photos of neet boxes and stuff. i only have about 30 guys, and most of them are carrying sand from the autobot base from 1986! the joints are so rusted or seeled with brick sand, that most dont want to stand up, and they wont pose! (you have to take cyclonus arms off to turn them around!).
But all the guys here have been very kind, and its nice to know that the whole group feels more like a family then a site to bost on. i'd welcome any of you guys if you were passing through townsville.

Have you considered restoring your toys? Sometimes they are not as bad as they seem and a quick fix can make all the difference. Take photos of them with descriptions of what's wrong and I will try to do a diagnosis.

shokwave2
2nd August 2009, 07:31 AM
Have you considered restoring your toys? Sometimes they are not as bad as they seem and a quick fix can make all the difference. Take photos of them with descriptions of what's wrong and I will try to do a diagnosis.

Are you qualified to run a diagnosis Kup? Leave that up to Ratchet;)

kup
2nd August 2009, 11:58 AM
Are you qualified to run a diagnosis Kup? Leave that up to Ratchet;)

I believe that I am ;)

dirge
2nd August 2009, 12:08 PM
Dr kup is a good fixer upper. I'll vouch for him.

His defibrillator hurts like hell, mind you.

Paulbot
2nd August 2009, 08:01 PM
One thing I like about OTCA is the people. In the past few days I've spent time with Jaydisc, Blackie, Blink90210, JuzMel, Kay-al, Goro, Iceburn, Demonac, theHandsomeCrab, theDirtyDigger & Primatives. A whole bunch of great people that I would never have met if it weren't for OTCA. :) :cool:

rateeg
2nd August 2009, 08:03 PM
i wanna meet people here too..
im such an outcast.
it's hard to be a rookie in this country.

Wheel-J
2nd August 2009, 08:37 PM
i wanna meet people here too..
im such an outcast.
it's hard to be a rookie in this country.

hey rateeg, every now and then there's a melbourne lunchmeet happening usually around the city. It's one of the most convenient time and place for many but not for all. If you can come some tme, you can meet some ozformers! Speaking of, I'll soon be coming for one of the lunchmeets as I have some stuffs to give and get from other members. :)

GoktimusPrime
2nd August 2009, 08:47 PM
Remember as Uncle Digger always says - photos or it didn't happen!! :D

rateeg
2nd August 2009, 08:51 PM
hey rateeg, every now and then there's a melbourne lunchmeet happening usually around the city. It's one of the most convenient time and place for many but not for all. If you can come some tme, you can meet some ozformers! Speaking of, I'll soon be coming for one of the lunchmeets as I have some stuffs to give and get from other members. :)

i might be free.
when is that? :)

Paulbot
2nd August 2009, 08:52 PM
Remember as Uncle Digger always says - photos or it didn't happen!! :D

Are you seriously asking me to post pics to prove I spent time with people?

i might be free.
when is that? :)

Rateeg, watch this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1926).

Vector Sigma 13
2nd August 2009, 08:58 PM
Easy going guys (and Gals). People dont care how big your collection is (even though i get a little jeaulous sometimes over the large, uber cool ones!). And its not just the toys- the discussions are great too. I wish i had more time to take part in them!

Met the great members here and SA and met some of the Vic guys too! Im actually looking forward to visiting some more members in other states down the track too!

Being a member on here has done me a lot of good as being a Transformer fan in a small town is a pretty lonely existance!

blackie
2nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
it did happen dont worry :)
sad i missed out on saturday tho, sounded like a ripper

GoktimusPrime
2nd August 2009, 09:06 PM
If you're referring to my post
It wasn't. That wasn't aimed at anyone specifically. I just think it's nice to keep photographs of members and events so that we can look back on them later and reminisce fondly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/melbmeet.jpg

:)

rateeg
2nd August 2009, 09:12 PM
who are those hunks? :)

Paulbot
2nd August 2009, 09:14 PM
Once upon a time fan meets might have been rare, and perhaps in NSW it is still rare, but in Victoria the OTCA members are meeting more than once a week in small and assorted groups.

I met up with the various fellow fans I mentioned on five different occasions in the past few days. I don't need to prove I've spent time with my friends to anyone and I strongly object to being asked to.

GoktimusPrime
2nd August 2009, 09:18 PM
Are you seriously asking me to post pics to prove I spent time with people?
"Asking" is the operative word. I'm not demanding, only asking. It would be _nice_ if someone could, but if you can't then that's fine. :)

blackie
2nd August 2009, 09:19 PM
i love the constant fan meets :D
ive developed a great group of friends from here in just over a year

Vector Sigma 13
2nd August 2009, 09:28 PM
Lol- your funny Paulbot:D

Tiby
2nd August 2009, 10:28 PM
OTCA helped me feel normal collecting toys as an adult. Having no-one to really discuss this hobby with was a bit lonely, and now I have made a whole bunch of new friends!

Kyle
2nd August 2009, 10:48 PM
One thing I like about OTCA is the people. In the past few days I've spent time with Jaydisc, Blackie, Blink90210, JuzMel, Kay-al, Goro, Iceburn, Demonac, theHandsomeCrab, theDirtyDigger & Primatives. A whole bunch of great people that I would never have met if it weren't for OTCA. :) :cool:

OTCA helped me feel normal collecting toys as an adult. Having no-one to really discuss this hobby with was a bit lonely, and now I have made a whole bunch of new friends!

In WA I've met kurdt, orion, Tets, Ark-Ivor, llamatron, hereticpoo, roller, Autocon, Valkyrie, Lint, bruticus, Sentinel, Zahak, Geminii, kenny, ... and have become good friends with many of them. I've also had the good fortune to have met griffin, Tober and Goktimus from the other states. Looking forward to meet up with more of you in future. :)

klystron
2nd August 2009, 10:55 PM
I've never met anyone from here...
:(

Kyle
2nd August 2009, 10:58 PM
I've never met anyone from here...
:(

Next time we have a Saturday meet in Perth, take the train to join us! :)

dirge
2nd August 2009, 11:00 PM
I'd struggle to name all the members here I've met. But I'll give it a go...

NSW: Gok, kup, Eazy D, 99, excelon, Bartrim, The damned, saintly, Rampage, liege, lord zed, sky shadow, the pie, FFN, gamblor, tron07, SilverDragon, Jimreborn, pete, pulse, iamtrunks, G1Optimal, 1azrael1, sam, kuzzy, tober, tiby, shazam, fatbot, fungal, heroic decepticon, stencilator, the scream man, springah, tiby
ACT: Omega Supreme
Qld: griffin, Maxiewolf, soundwarp, counterpunch
Vic: paulbot, jaydisc, digger, mel, demonac, krayt, lhec, STL, sifun, Iceburn, borgeman,
WA: roller, 1orion2many, tetsuwan
SA: loophole, Sofaman
TAS/NT: Noone

Which I guess is testament to how friendly this place actually _is_.

Apologies to anyone I've missed (:

mangis
2nd August 2009, 11:04 PM
I do believe there's a WA meet coming up for the release of the GI-Joe movie. Depending on work I'm thinking of going. Met up with a lot of guys on here a while back but haven't been that active in the TF community of late. It'd be good to catch up with a lot of them again.

If you're free you should come meet a lot of the other WA guys. Details haven't been 100% confirmed but you can find them here http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5059

Kyle
2nd August 2009, 11:05 PM
In WA I've met kurdt, orion, Tets, Ark-Ivor, llamatron, hereticpoo, roller, Autocon, Valkyrie, Lint, bruticus, Sentinel, Zahak, Geminii, kenny, ... and have become good friends with many of them. I've also had the good fortune to have met griffin and Tober from the other states. Looking forward to meet up with more of you in future. :)

Almost forgot I've met Gok before too, but it was many many years ago at a Perth fair before I joined OTCA. :cool:

liegeprime
2nd August 2009, 11:56 PM
I like here of course are the people you meet both personal and just online... you get to share the hobby with fellow locals and interstate fans and discuss TF stuff and otherwise with very active group of individuals. Added bonus is I get to discover fellow Filos hehehe. Used to be the only active member, thank goodness not anymore. Better to get to see a face and tie it a name/userID though. :)

Love seeing other collectors collection - as Ive always mentioned its not the collection size, its how well its loved by the collector that counts. Every collection is priced. Like how they share the pics for everyone - okay Im a bit of a TF voyeur:D:p.

I also like how active this forum/board is. It may not be as active say like TFW( just look at the number of people online at a time) but the activity here is pleasant, there, well best not to say anything. I like how fellow fans help one another here in finding hard to find toys, like the saleyard stuff.

I like how it's a thriving local community, so the news and events I read I can relate, rather than say if you read a US based one, well its their sale , nothing to do with me thousands of miles away here. Also even the whinges and whines i get to read here are relatable and you can emphatize with. There an atmosphere of belonging as well in the forum that has been fostered and I have observed.

I like how the admin and mods police the forum without you even noticing as the forum runs smoothly ( or am I just to oblivious):D

I like that when i log on to everyday theres always something new and interesting posted to keep the boredom away. Lord knows how many ebay items Ive missed while reading a thread here hehehehe.

Deceptic_Optic
3rd August 2009, 08:29 AM
o0o0o0 another one why i like OTCA is that its not just transformers you talk about its also other toys like the JOE's...*shout out to foor he is GI JOE god!!!!* and heaps of other stuff. And the filos yaya thought i was goin to be a loner here, Liegeprime was the first filo i met here and welcome me with full arms and Gok first time ive seen someones tf collection in my whole life i go gaga just thinking about your collection, sorry i didnt show it i was bit conservative about it plus cos the wife was there lol...

TheDirtyDigger
3rd August 2009, 11:22 AM
I like how we're an Australian forum and high standards of English are the norm! :)

GoktimusPrime
3rd August 2009, 07:05 PM
OTCA members (past and present) that I've met...

NSW: dirge, Eazy_D, kelvinchang99, excelonzero, The_Damned, Saintly (and his boys :)), Rampage, liegeprime, Lord_Zed, Kharnifex, the_pie1986, FFN, gamblor916, hound, tron07, norcinu, Tiby, fatbot, Fungal_Infection, heroic_decepticon, stencilator, The_Scream_Man, Jimreborn, springah, kup, Deceptic_Optics, Belinda, Charl, spiralpoison, OzPhoenix, 1AZRAEL1, optimus1, i_amtrunks, jgon2098, kuzzy, RokDog, Sam, Sky_Shadow, Tober, Zaul

ACT: Omega Supreme, Megatron

QLD: griffin, Maxiewolf, Soundwarp

VIC: Paulbot, Demonac, Armada Convoy

WA: roller, 1orion2many, Tetsuwan Convoy, Ark-Ivor, Kyle, Astroclonus, Geminii

SA: loophole, Sofaman

TAS: Rowena

NT: (None)

JAPAN: Tiger Convoy (怪軍三等兵)

...apologies to anyone I've left out. :)