PDA

View Full Version : Knockoff Springer, Sideswipe, Red Alert, and Octane

rampagesss
21st July 2009, 11:47 AM
Well it looks like we are geting more Knockoffs

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/252151-ko-springer-sideswipe-red-alert-octane-released.html

kup
21st July 2009, 11:54 AM
Doh! They look pretty accurate when loose too which is a shame.

Damn it Hasbro! Springer is your mold not Diaclone or Microman. Why haven't you made a reissue of it instead of the 1000th release of Starscream or Soundwave?

reillyd
21st July 2009, 03:44 PM
Doh! They look pretty accurate when loose too which is a shame.

Damn it Hasbro! Springer is your mold not Diaclone or Microman. Why haven't you made a reissue of it instead of the 1000th release of Starscream or Soundwave?

Don't diss the screamer - he tends to backstab anyone who slights him.

Excuse my ignorance here, but was Springer a Hasbro US produced toy, rather than Takara? What about the other tripple changes - same deal?

kup
21st July 2009, 03:57 PM
Don't diss the screamer - he tends to backstab anyone who slights him.

Excuse my ignorance here, but was Springer a Hasbro US produced toy, rather than Takara? What about the other tripple changes - same deal?

Well they are both really. Most of the post 1984-1985 toys are Hasbro/Takara joint efforts for the Transformer line while the previous molds were made by Takara and other manufacturers for other toy lines such as Diaclone which were then used for Transformers.

Gutsman Heavy
21st July 2009, 03:58 PM

I don't think so, I know that Blitzwing was a Diaclone toy originally, so not all triple changers are originally TFs

kup
21st July 2009, 04:00 PM
I don't think so, I know that Blitzwing was a Diaclone toy originally, so not all triple changers are originally TFs

That's correct, Blitzwing is Diaclone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3HB8Zt2VY

dirge
21st July 2009, 04:50 PM
Takara produced almost all of G1's toys. The exceptions were those licensed from non-Takara toylines, such as Jetfire, Shockwave, dx Insecticons, Roadbuster, Whirl. And Omega Supreme, which was Tomy (hence the recent issue in Japan - not quite a reissue over there).

So Springer's reissuing would likely be TakaraTomy's choice, rather than Hasbro - who seem to follow TT's lead with respect to reissues. About the only exceptions were Hoist, Bluestreak & Dirge (which were not reissued as general release in Japan).

canofwhoopass_87
21st July 2009, 10:07 PM
This is seriously annoying news. Some of the offers and questions asked by some of the idiots at the bottom of that octane sale page are pathetic. Dammit man.....NOT SPRINGER!

It's already tough enough dodging the rest of the KO crap out there. Thanks for the heads up though

heroic_decepticon
21st July 2009, 10:18 PM
Not sure if this is old news or new, but when I was in Singapore, I saw the following which I'm pretty sure were knockoffs:

- all 5 G1 US boxed Dinobots;
- US box G1 Devastator giftset; and
- US box G1 Wheeljack.

Robzy
21st July 2009, 10:39 PM
Boo!!! Enough with the KOs! Let's have the real thing! :mad:

GoktimusPrime
21st July 2009, 11:00 PM
Diaclone and Microman were made by Takara. That's why we had Microman figures integrated into Transformers in 2004 (Kicker and Gamede) to commemorate Microman's 30th Anniversary.

We are assuming that the Sprung and Octone moulds aren't lost or damaged.

Tabias Prime
21st July 2009, 11:50 PM
I'm tired of these and I have pity for the person who thinks there getting a bargain.For us die hard fans who can spot a fake miles away.I see this sort of crap on ebay, mostly from china based sellers..If you see this sort of crap you can report the seller to ebay for selling counterfeit items, i do it on a regular bases.Someone has to keep the bastards honest.:p

canofwhoopass_87
21st July 2009, 11:58 PM
Alerting hasbro and takara about this seller (check out his reply including his paypal id at the bottom of the octane sale page) might result in some action.

TheDirtyDigger
22nd July 2009, 06:29 AM
Hasbro and TakaraTomy should buy the factory making these, tweak the quality to a high standard and do official reissues.

Zippo
22nd July 2009, 04:19 PM
I have wanted a Rissue Red Alert for a while. Fingers crossed that he is released soon for Encore.

Tabias Prime
22nd July 2009, 07:25 PM
Alerting hasbro and takara about this seller (check out his reply including his paypal id at the bottom of the octane sale page) might result in some action.

I did this as well when i started reporting fakes.

reillyd
29th July 2009, 03:16 PM
Quick question. I've seen multiples of many items like Nightbeat MISB (all using same photo) at http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/girltf_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

and many multiples of "slightly damaged" Twintwists from other sellers. Does anyone know if there is a master list of knock-offs? Given that Hasbro always sold items by case assortments, and not a whole case of a single item, it seems really unlikely that someone would have three or more of the 1 item, no?

TF76
29th July 2009, 03:36 PM
I wonder if we will ever see people adding 'age' or to knockoffs.

Not only, rips dirt damaging the window but also as prices go up loose toys.

Paint chips, exposing to UV light, damage to stickers, rusting, washes of dirt/dirt color dyes and paints.

I also wonder how many ko's are parted and mixed with original bot parts, not just weapons, windows doors etc...

canofwhoopass_87
29th July 2009, 04:18 PM
I did this as well when i started reporting fakes.

Be sure to let them know his/their paypal address as well (bottom of that octane sale page), it's a nifty little piece of evidence which may result in some serious ass kicking.

I wonder if we will ever see people adding 'age' or to knockoffs.

Not only, rips dirt damaging the window but also as prices go up loose toys.

Paint chips, exposing to UV light, damage to stickers, rusting, washes of dirt/dirt color dyes and paints.

I also wonder how many ko's are parted and mixed with original bot parts, not just weapons, windows doors etc...

I've thought about this as well when I was looking at my own G1 springer. In terms of sticker wear/condition, I think this comes with repetitive transformations and general wear and tear. I reckon it'd be hard to replicate age and damage.

As for mixing ko and original parts and bots, this is just something too difficult to avoid I think. I was talking to Matt from transformerland.com the other day and even he has trouble distinguishing. He wasn't even aware of the KO mirage -_-

Pays to be vigilant I suppose, even if it's getting more and more difficult :)

Paulbot
29th July 2009, 04:28 PM
Quick question. I've seen multiples of many items like Nightbeat MISB (all using same photo) at http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/girltf_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

and many multiples of "slightly damaged" Twintwists from other sellers. Does anyone know if there is a master list of knock-offs? Given that Hasbro always sold items by case assortments, and not a whole case of a single item, it seems really unlikely that someone would have three or more of the 1 item, no?

Nightbeat's one of those toys that someone "found" a bunch of MISB and they entered the market. Same with three lots of European Micromasters earlier in the year. I tend to look at those lucky finds with some suspicion, but I'm fairly certain neither case proved to be knock-offs.

Gutsman Heavy
29th July 2009, 04:30 PM
I got one of the "found" nightbeats, it is legit, at least mine is :)

canofwhoopass_87
29th July 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm quite certain that short term explosion of misb/mosc nightbeats/micromasters were a legitimate release. Nightbeat was apparently found in an old warehouse by some dude who knew their worth.

TF76
29th July 2009, 05:06 PM
I've thought about this as well when I was looking at my own G1 springer. In terms of sticker wear/condition, I think this comes with repetitive transformations and general wear and tear. I reckon it'd be hard to replicate age and damage.

I used to match play and dirt and crap on guitar parts (not that fake looking relic stuff)
Different parts from same or "similar" years and yeah ill shut up.... cough*dodgy*cough... Anyway, I know lots of tricks. ;)
Not sure how well it would translate to toys but for an auction it wouldn't need to be too convincing.

That said I don't want to buy a KO or give anyone ideas. :D

reillyd
29th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I bought Universe Nightbeat, and it would be a nice counterpiece. I shall bid (on these, at least) with confidence, but yeah the issue of adding "age" stickers and ware to boxes is a little unsettling.

canofwhoopass_87
31st July 2009, 09:54 PM
G1 Springer and Octane on local ebay AU at the moment with free postage, pounce before they KO hit the shelves! I'd bid, but I already have them :rolleyes:

Also, just an interesting note -

I was discussing KO's and reissues with Matt (the owner of transformerland.com) and he reckons (in his years of selling experience), KO's reduce the market value of original g1's as much as reissues do.

Just food for thought I guess.

Sky Shadow
31st July 2009, 10:01 PM
I was discussing KO's and reissues with Matt (the owner of transformerland.com) and he reckons (in his years of selling experience), KO's reduce the market value of original g1's as much as reissues do.

I'm certain that they do in at least two ways.

1. People buy knockoffs (consciously or not) and then think they don't need an original, or

2. People like me who would quite like... say... a Gnaw toy, never actually bid on or purchase one because we're now paranoid that it might be a knockoff or contain knockoff parts.

Thus original toys sell for less or not at all.

heroic_decepticon
31st July 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm certain that they do in at least two ways.

1. People buy knockoffs (consciously or not) and then think they don't need an original, or

2. People like me who would quite like... say... a Gnaw toy, never actually bid on or purchase one because we're now paranoid that it might be a knockoff or contain knockoff parts.

Thus original toys sell for less or not at all.

well said!