PDA

View Full Version : Super God Masterforce

Paulbot
17th February 2008, 08:08 PM
As a lot of people are buying Masterforce DVDs at the moment, what are people's first reactions?

I've watched the first four episodes and really like this series so far.

I'm only about one disc into the Headmaster series because I found it frustrating to watch, for a couple of reasons: a very bad sub job, that it looked like lost G1 episodes but didn't feel like it; and there were too many characters and locations and clunky narration trying to explain what was happening.

Masterforce has introducing the characters slowly and it's worked much better. The animation is much better and the narration non-existent.

I've not noticed one error in the subtitles yet, although I find the translation of Cybertron and Destron a little annoying because I keep hearing the characters say it.

The Autobot characters are fun (but why does Phoenix have Wolverine's hair?) and the human ones who are clearly going to play a big part aren't bad either. In part because they won't be saving the day by giving Metalhawk instructions but my working on the same level as the Pretenders. I like that in their first mission they are told not to fight and it leads to a scene that's the closest we'll ever see to Cybertron school yard bullying!

The way that Pretender and Headmaster technology works in this universe is much better than the G1 comics. The Autobots really are pretending to be humans, the Decepticons are hiding their true nature. The confusing and poorly executed Nebulan and Transformer mind working together in the comics never really worked... I prefer the idea that the head component controls the larger body (whether the head is either Transformer or Human).

Even the Seacons as Terrorcon-like disposable drones hasn't bothered me like I thought it would either.

And unlike when I watched Headmasters I'm totally fine with calling these characters by the Japanese names because they feel like new characters. I'm already searching Ebay for a Goshooter.

So what are other's initial thoughts?

1orion2many
17th February 2008, 11:06 PM
:)I'm pretty much the same with Headmasters, it's a real chore to watch but I will not touch the Masterforce DVD set I bought until I have finally finished watching HM.:rolleyes:

kup
17th February 2008, 11:16 PM
I very much enjoyed Masterforce and its one of those series that gets better and better as it goes. The ending is very epic and will not dissapoint.

I have also rencetly finished watching Victory, at first it seemed like it was going to be a chore to watch as it had many strange Japanese elements but it quickly went passed that in the first few episode and its quality increased to something similar to Masterforce although I still prefer MF than Victory however but its not far behind.

I am now proud to say that I have watched every single bit of G1 animation ever released (including Zone) :)
________
Los Angeles Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

Sam
17th February 2008, 11:42 PM
I saw it today at Kinokuniya, bought it straight away because I know I'd want to watch it.

Haven't opened it yet though. :)

i_amtrunks
18th February 2008, 10:17 AM
I saw it today at Kinokuniya, bought it straight away because I know I'd want to watch it.

Haven't opened it yet though. :)

Dammit, I went looking there for it yesterday and they had already sold it!
JB at Town Hall didnt have it either, so had to go back to Parra to grab it!

Havent had a chance to watch it yet, but from memory of watching old fansubs on VHS, the animation was a lot nicer than G1 in general...

GoktimusPrime
18th February 2008, 07:49 PM
First impressions? Ooh, that's going back many years as I first watched Masterforce back in 1993 - albeit that was the horrific StarTV dub. That confused the hell out of me thanks to it's complete incompetent translation of the script. :/

I got a fan subbed version about a year or two ago, and I really enjoyed that. The story does involve humans a lot - humans effectively controlling/piloting transtectors, which is a new concept to get used to - but once you get used to it it's a very decent story.

The advantage of having humans controlling Transformers is that the humans aren't completely useless bystanders like in so many other Transformer series (e.g.: Daniel, Rad, Sari etc). They're actually participating with the Transformers and making an actual contribution to the Transformers' war - after all, it's being waged on their world with their people as casualties. And Masterforce makes the threat to humanity abundantly clear, even in the first episode with the Canadian passenger cruiser being attacked by Decepticon Pretenders and of course, with Dr. Gou (Shuuta's father) being a direct casualty. It's not as good as the binary bonding between Transformers and Nebulans in the G1 comics - which was an actual symbiosis between Cybertronians and Nebulans. The problem with the Headmaster Jr concept is that only the human or Transformer is ever dominant at one time whereas in the Marvel comics both minds were conscious with both minds eventually merging into one.

The animation is really good... although Victory is just as good (arguably better toward the end) and nothing beats the animation in Zone. ;)

autobreadticon
20th February 2008, 12:28 PM
yesterday i brought the headmasters and i am really enjyoing. I find that if you watch it jap audio and english subtitles , you dont concentrate on the predictable direction of each episode. But the constant inclusion of ALOT of different t/f and battles is eye candy. And the story telling is broken up to different scenarios and character events happening at the same time, so its like we get to witness groups of characters reacting in different ways.

things i found out are wheelie is a even worst little s#iT and daniel is a little brat.

Pulse
24th February 2008, 09:50 PM
I just finished watching all 42 episodes &, I have to say, it was really good. Good character development, Story continuation & not too many pointless episodes.

Even though I had previously heard that there were too many humans in the story, I found their numbers acceptable. Great buildup to the big finish, Not nearly as many deaths as there was in Headmasters & excellent animation to top it all off. :)

A couple of points that seemed to stick out to me:
# Just like Headmasters, There were 3 Destron Pretenders to battle the 4 Cybertron Pretenders - bit of an unfair advantage, don't cha think?

# In the final battle in the last episode, the only Cybertron pretender involved was Hawk - where were the other 3?

# I really enjoyed the "human feelings storyline" incorporated into the 3 Destron Headmaster Juniors & Clouder/Doubleclouder storyline and their decision to change sides

# If Shuta, Cab & Minerva are only supposed to be kids, how can they drive their vehicles & Godbomber?

# As a toy, Browning is all kinds of awesomesauce - but as a character in the cartoon series, Browning is basically a tiny pet who is nearly as annoying as Danny/Wheelie. Browning doesn't even come close to their level of annoyingness due to the fact that he's seen much more sparingly than those two. Couldn't they have thought of a much better character for Browning in the series other than being a pet to Cancer?

# It seemed like Ginrai kept getting one powerup after another to become strong enough/powerful enough/big enough to be able to fight Buster & Hydra, Overlord & then Black Zarak. Couldn't any other Cybertrons stand up to the might of these Destrons or did Ginrai/Super Ginrai/God Ginrai have to do all the work himself?

# Wouldn't it have been cool if Bludgeon was a part of the series as well

# How do the Seacons multiply their numbers so easily, become destroyed so easily & are ready for another battle as soon as the next episode?

Oh, & guess what's up for preorder already http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/798922 I can't wait. I gonna be pre-ordering it tomorrow from my nearest Ezydvd store. Damn May can't get here soon enough.

dirge
24th February 2008, 10:47 PM
# If Shuta, Cab & Minerva are only supposed to be kids, how can they drive their vehicles & Godbomber?

It's very briefly touched upon early - the bracelets impart them with the ability to drive. Whether or not they're doing so legally is another matter altogether :)

# As a toy, Browning is all kinds of awesomesauce - but as a character in the cartoon series, Browning is basically a tiny pet who is nearly as annoying as Danny/Wheelie. Browning doesn't even come close to their level of annoyingness due to the fact that he's seen much more sparingly than those two. Couldn't they have thought of a much better character for Browning in the series other than being a pet to Cancer?

It may have been the other way around. I mean, they may have decided on a pet and decided to use the pre-existing MC07 mould. I see your gripe, though.

# It seemed like Ginrai kept getting one powerup after another to become strong enough/powerful enough/big enough to be able to fight Buster & Hydra, Overlord & then Black Zarak. Couldn't any other Cybertrons stand up to the might of these Destrons or did Ginrai/Super Ginrai/God Ginrai have to do all the work himself?

Welcome to Anime! :p

# Wouldn't it have been cool if Bludgeon was a part of the series as well

He would have been in Victory if anything - Masterforce was a year before Bludgeon. Bludgeon was never sold in Japan, incidentally.

# How do the Seacons multiply their numbers so easily, become destroyed so easily & are ready for another battle as soon as the next episode?

Mindless drones. And cartoon physics :)

Oh, & guess what's up for preorder already (Victory)

I guess this means that Madman have been very happy with the sales of Headmasters and are keen to cash in. Which is good to see. I actually ordered the Metronome set from Amazon.co.uk before Madman announced Headmasters (it contains all three series), but I'm glad that Madman have been able to succeed with these shows.

Pulse
24th February 2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your help Dirge in clearing some of those things up for me.

GoktimusPrime
24th February 2008, 11:59 PM
Browning did save Cancer's life once by summoning Minerva's assistance.

Soundwarp
25th February 2008, 07:32 AM
So the dub is better than HM???

kup
25th February 2008, 10:50 AM
There is no dub, just subtitles in the Madman release. I think one or two episode s may have the dub but its only there for comedy value.

Dont watch the dub in any of these series. Headmasters is the least shocking because at least the dub follows the plot to some degree. In MF and Vic the dub just doesn't make any sense at all.

Ginrai is called Optimus Prime when he is not, even the human is called Prime.

Minerva is called Nightbeat (even just the girl)

and so on and so on.

The worse diservice you could do to yourself and these series is watch it with the Star dub.
________
Mazda 929 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_929)

Pulse
25th February 2008, 11:19 AM
I definitely wholeheartedly agree with you Kup. The English subtitles at the bottom of the screen are by far the way to go to experience the Japanese G1 series at their best.

Paulbot
25th February 2008, 12:06 PM
And the Masterforce subtitles are better than the Headmasters subtitles, but wow Pulse you tore through the series! Mini-marathon? I'm only up to episode 8!

Pulse
25th February 2008, 02:25 PM
And the Masterforce subtitles are better than the Headmasters subtitles, but wow Pulse you tore through the series! Mini-marathon? I'm only up to episode 8!

Pretty sad that I've finished watching the whole thing, isn't it. I just loved it & after I got hooked, I couldn't stop.

After picking it up that Thursday, I watched my first 4 episodes on that week's Sunday. From then on I was watching 4 episodes a day while on the weekend I watched 8 episodes a day. It was awesome! :)

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2008, 10:54 PM
Learn to sing the theme song! Maybe then I won't be the only person singing Transformers songs at karaoke/idol comps at conventions!! (hey, I won Animania Idol 2005 with my performance of the Transformers Victory opening, m'kay? :p)

Pulse
25th February 2008, 11:07 PM
I actually think the Headmasters song is better "Head-o-Masso-tar"

But the Masterforce song ain't that bad either "Mas-tor-Force"

I have to wait til May to see Victory so I can't give you my take on it until then.

Sorry, it's hard to put the voice tones of the singer in written words :p

dirge
25th February 2008, 11:20 PM
The Victory song rules. It's my favourite TF theme!

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2008, 11:32 PM
Ditto.
2nd favourite is the Masterforce theme followed by the Zone theme. The Headmasters theme is my least favourite of the G1 JP opening themes (although I don't dislike it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3DdnOifW8 <---some Spanish fans singing the opening theme for The Headmasters. :)

kup
25th February 2008, 11:44 PM
My favorite is Masterforce, I like Both Vic and Headmaster songs the same.

I also paricularly like the Beast Wars II song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC16N6xxaZ4

Although it would pretty hard to sing it at a Karaoke party :P

Hey that's a thought, since we are having difficulty finding a fan meet activity, why don't we have a Transformers themed Party?
________
SQUIRTING ANAL (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/995/anal/videos/1)

Kyle
26th February 2008, 12:18 AM
I like:
1. Victory
2. Headmaster
3. Masterforce

Actually bought a CD boxset:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Aussie%20TF%20DVDs/DSC00040.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Aussie%20TF%20DVDs/DSC00043.jpg

I like the 2nd theme song of BWII too and the BW Neo one wasn't bad either.

Will also get this newer set eventually when I have more cash flow:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9x-77-9-49-en-15-transformers-70-21i7-43-9v.html

bassbot
29th February 2008, 05:54 PM
i really wanna get masterforce, i've watched both eng subtitles and the hilarious, and yet annoying eng dub headmasters. got through it. can't wait, masterforce sounds freakin amazing!

9th June 2009, 11:43 PM
if only they could release headmasters with original voice overs from g1 ....

jgon2098
10th June 2009, 12:06 AM
I like:
1. Victory
2. Headmaster
3. Masterforce

Actually bought a CD boxset:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Aussie%20TF%20DVDs/DSC00040.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Aussie%20TF%20DVDs/DSC00043.jpg

I like the 2nd theme song of BWII too and the BW Neo one wasn't bad either.

Will also get this newer set eventually when I have more cash flow:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9x-77-9-49-en-15-transformers-70-21i7-43-9v.html

kyle I've been strongly considering purchasing this box set. Is it an official hasbro/takara product? what year was this released.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th June 2009, 01:10 AM
kyle I've been strongly considering purchasing this box set. Is it an official hasbro/takara product? what year was this released.

Not sure what Year it was produced, but it has music from 1984-1990
Have a look here (http://www.e-hobby.co.jp/cgi-bin/omc?port=33301&req=PRODUCT&ett=20040419054224319721000000&parentpage=18650710&hier=20050915090721538698000000)

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2009, 11:03 PM
if only they could release headmasters with original voice overs from g1 ....
Well technically they did use the original voice actors from G1. Except for Arcee who was voiced by Kawanami Youko (whereas I think she was voiced by Katsuki Masako in 2010 and another seiyuu in the Japanese dub of Transformers The Movie).

But perhaps you meant the original English-language voice actors in a dubbing of this series. I've heard that they actually did plan on dubbing all the Japanese G1 series over with the Anglophone voice actors in the early 1990s. Then someone decided to "improve" on the Japanese series by adding intermittent computer graphics known as the "Cybernet Space Cube." But then someone decided it would be better to retcon the old episodes in the same way first before introducing audiences to the Japanese episodes dubbed. So that's what they did. This show was called "Transformers: Generation 2." (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_2_(cartoon)) It flopped miserably so they never got up to dubbing the Japanese series.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2009, 03:25 PM
For all you (us?) Melbournians chasing the animated series, there's an anime/hobby shop in Box Hill that has the SGM DVDs going for $45...

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2009, 04:10 PM
Animezone?

enforcer888
11th June 2009, 05:09 PM
I loved Masterforce after getting used to the concept, Headmasters was interesting too. Victory on the other hand.... haven't been compelled to watch it all that much, it's really goofy in a foreign way. :D

GoktimusPrime
11th June 2009, 06:32 PM
Victory is awesomesauce. Dinoforce are goofy and occasionally annoying, but the Breastmasters are wicked. :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2009, 09:14 PM
Animezone?Didn't grab the name, sorry:o... Will try to remember to write it down next time I'm there.

blackie
11th June 2009, 09:21 PM
Didn't grab the name, sorry:o... Will try to remember to write it down next time I'm there.

theres two. anime zone is run by a white guy, the other one is run by 2 aisan blokes. anime zone has lots of stock, otherone has bugger all :)

11th June 2009, 10:12 PM
i meant the original english voice actors. anyone on here have an anglophone ? :) i never realised g2 flopped because i remember it being on for a while as i grew up.

Well technically they did use the original voice actors from G1. Except for Arcee who was voiced by Kawanami Youko (whereas I think she was voiced by Katsuki Masako in 2010 and another seiyuu in the Japanese dub of Transformers The Movie).

But perhaps you meant the original English-language voice actors in a dubbing of this series. I've heard that they actually did plan on dubbing all the Japanese G1 series over with the Anglophone voice actors in the early 1990s. Then someone decided to "improve" on the Japanese series by adding intermittent computer graphics known as the "Cybernet Space Cube." But then someone decided it would be better to retcon the old episodes in the same way first before introducing audiences to the Japanese episodes dubbed. So that's what they did. This show was called "Transformers: Generation 2." (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_2_(cartoon)) It flopped miserably so they never got up to dubbing the Japanese series.

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th June 2009, 10:38 PM
theres two. anime zone is run by a white guy, the other one is run by 2 aisan blokes. anime zone has lots of stock, otherone has bugger all :)Animezone it was then, cheers.

blackie
11th June 2009, 10:42 PM
Animezone it was then, cheers.

no probs mate
are you living round the box hill area, or in the CBD?
did you end up finding accomodation?

Ode to a Grasshopper
12th June 2009, 12:22 AM
no probs mate
are you living round the box hill area, or in the CBD?
did you end up finding accomodation?Currently I'm alternating between a mattress in a cousin's study in West Preston and an old friend from Fremantle's couch next to Deakin Uni, but both of those are sadly only temporary options. I'm ferrying across to Devonport in Tassie in 2 weeks but I'm pretty much sold on living in Melbourne provided I can get work (might try for TRU Chadston, working in a toystore would work with our hobby/obsession and I do have a bit of retail experience) and some decent people to stay with.

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2009, 10:43 AM
Also your discount card gives you 10% off everything in TRU, even if it's on sale! :)

enforcer888
13th June 2009, 01:55 PM
The episodes that started with the introduction of Hellbat have been awesome. What a sneaky, conniving bastard! Love it. He's probably worse than Starscream.

Kyle
13th June 2009, 03:08 PM

It was officially licenced by Takara. Was released in March, 2004.