PDA

View Full Version : What DO you like about Revenge of the Fallen?

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2009, 10:32 PM
Quite simple - just talk about what you actually _do_ like about RotF! There's already a thread for talking about what we don't like about the movie here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4716), but this thread is for talking about what you _did_ find enjoyable. :)

I've also attached a poll with this thread asking if you're intending on buying this movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray, HDDVD, VHS, Betamax etc. :p) - because surely you wouldn't waste your money buying a copy of this movie if you disliked it, ha ha ha ha ha!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_fabio_lol.jpg

Anyway, here are some things I liked about RotF:

Seeing humans fighting alongside Autobots against Decepticons
Humans have been widely disliked by fans because they're usually just pretty much useless. They're typically just getting in the way either as victims or even antagonists. But once in a while it's good to see humans actually being _useful_. It's also reminiscent of the various Transformers vs. GI Joe crossovers that we've had since G1, as well as the EDC from the G1 cartoon.

Ancient Transformers worshipped as Gods
As Ben Yee pointed out, "the idea of aliens coming to Earth and being seen as "Gods" to the ancients...(is) a fun scifi concept to play with..." - and is also reminiscent of G1's "Man of Iron."

Numerous references to previous Transformers series
As discussed on this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5132). :)

Visual special effects
Astounding!

Wheelie didn't suck!
Aside from when he humped Mikaela's leg, Wheelie was a pretty cool character! He's not the useless "5th wheel"/"Jar Jar Binks" like character that he was in the G1 cartoon.

Some jokes were funny!
Not all the humour sucked. Some better humorous moments (IMO) include:
+ The jock with the tight shirt
+ Leo tasering himself and being found by Simmons
+ Simmons talking about how other S7 members thought of him as obsessed!
+ "The internet is pure truth!"
+ "I have a web cam date with my girlfriend."/"That is so cool."/"No it's not."
+ The running joke between both films that the word "Transformer" is only ever said once (and never by a Transformer!). In the first movie Ron Witwicky said it when talking about a broken electrical transformer. In RotF Simmons refers to the Transformers as "Transformers." I hope they maintain this in the next movie - I would love to see it as consistent running thing in all the TF movies like how Star Wars has "I got a bad feeling about this" (and of course "May the Force be with you.")
+ Mixmaster's Decepticon-faced dog hood ornament was SIK!

Frank Welker as Soundwave
When I saw this movie at the IMAX premiere, I could hear all the fans in the audience going, "Wwwhoooaaaaa!" when Soundwave first spoke. And it's Welker's real Dr. ClawSoundwave voice - we heard it briefly in the G1 episode "Roll For It" and it's also the way that Welker had always wanted Soundwave to sound like. Apparently he never really liked how Sunbow digitally altered his voice - so in RotF we can actually hear Soundwave talking as Welker had intended since G1! :)

Alice
I know not everyone likes her - but I think she's awesome. I really like the idea of Transformers scanning and transforming into humans - it totally makes sense and pumps them right up to a whole new level of being robots in disguise. It's also a neat reference/inference to G1 and Beast Wars as discussed here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5132). :) Note that this does NOT reflect my opinion about Isabel Lucas at all - I'm just saying that I like the character-concept of a human-moded Decepticon. I personally don't find Lucas to be physically attractive nor was I impressed with her acting - but her lack of acting ability actually suited the character since she was basically a robot pretending to be human. (^_^) Give me the toy now HasTak.

liegeprime
24th July 2009, 10:34 PM
Finally somebody dies. In the first movie, when Prime falls in buildings not one human got squishied, how the heck does that happen, hellooooo. Now we see here (even thought its mostly CGI) mass death, now that at least is a "bit" of realism IMO.

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2009, 10:40 PM
Good point. Seeing the NEST soldiers carrying flag-draped coffins helps reminds viewers that this isn't just inconsequential violence. The first movie would've had that too if Figueroa's death scene hadn't been cut. Ah well.

PS: Another funny scene - when Lennox managed to con Galloway into opening his parachute. :D

loophole
24th July 2009, 10:45 PM
i liked it!! :D

i like the first thing my dad said about the movie after he saw it "finally Prime grew some" refering to Prime actually killing the Decepticons and not actually talking them to death

Lord_Zed
24th July 2009, 11:21 PM
More Action.

Decepticons have a larger role.

Proper Transformer vs Transformer fight in the forrest

For the most part improved special effects, more detailed robots, that bleed and leak ichor.

Some Battlescenes could actualy be followed without watching twice. :D

Wheelie actualy tolerable.

The art design for some of the Decepticons, thier base as well as the sun smasher machine. It looked really scifi and fantasy to me.

The way Decepticons were portrayed as evil and ruthless Killing their own etc etc.

For some reason the movie Decepticons remind me of Skesis.

foor
25th July 2009, 12:10 AM
I liked the Megatron/Starscream banter. I liked the concept of "the Fallen".

I liked in the end when Megatron got pwned, he yelled "Starscreaaam!"

I liked the Matrix design, although I'd never buy a prop. Was better than the Allspark Cube.

Gutsman Heavy
25th July 2009, 01:38 AM
Wheelie (bar leg hump) and Welkers Soundwave voice.
I will be buying the Blu-ray, it'll fit in my bad movie with bugger all saving points collection nicely (snuggled between Resident Evil: Apolypse & AVP)

GoktimusPrime
25th July 2009, 10:42 AM
The way Decepticons were portrayed as evil and ruthless Killing their own etc etc.
+1. The way the Constructicons united into Devastator was just violent and not like the laws-of-physics defying Voltron-esque sequences that we saw in the G1 cartoon, or the "let's fall onto each other into a heap" that we had in the G1 comics. :p

I liked the concept of "the Fallen".
The Fallen didn't originate from the movie though; he was originally a character from the Transformers comic books. Unless you mean you like the movie universe's version of the Fallen over the original. :)

griffin
25th July 2009, 11:57 AM
Just because it is the same name, doesn't make it the same character. The Movie's Fallen is a completely different concept to Dreamwave's Fallen.
It's the concept foor is referring to, not the name.

liegeprime
25th July 2009, 12:17 PM
I liked the Matrix design, although I'd never buy a prop. Was better than the Allspark Cube.

I will, a chance to stab someone in the chest and yet they live.:D:Dheheheheh!!

Sky Shadow
25th July 2009, 12:28 PM
Just because it is the same name, doesn't make it the same character. The Movie's Fallen is a completely different concept to Dreamwave's Fallen.

Although according to Forest Lee who writes the toy packaging bios, it is supposed to be the exact same character, since The Fallen is a 'mulitversal singularity' - there's only one in the multiverse and he can travel between Transformers universes.

No, I don't buy it either.

(Another thing I won't buy is this DVD, [although I do like Alice.])

SilverDragon
25th July 2009, 12:49 PM
-More robot action. Specifically, the Shanghai scene.
-Wheelie
-Jetfire

dirge
25th July 2009, 12:56 PM
Wheelie didn't suck!

Some jokes were funny!
Not all the humour sucked. Some better humorous moments (IMO) include:
+ The jock with the tight shirt
+ Leo tasering himself and being found by Simmons
+ "The internet is pure truth!"

Frank Welker as Soundwave
And it's Welker's real Dr. Claw Soundwave voice

The twins being Subcompacts. There are too many über sports car TFs. Budget end subcompacts are far more common on the roads.

No more ******** ******** ****** *** * ******* Animated toys. We have vehicle modes that look like real vehicles again, not deformed chickens (Swoop), weird flying arrows (2 Pack Megatron), Guy Smiley (Grimlock) or rocket coupes (Bumblebee).

GoktimusPrime
25th July 2009, 04:00 PM
I think that they're the same concept - i.e.: one of the first Transformers to be created by Primus/AllSpark and the first who became evil - thus being the most ancient evil on Cybertron. Both original and movie Fallen returned from banishment to do dastardly things. That's not to say that they're the same character (although as Sky Shadow pointed out, officially they are) - it's like say G1 and movie Optimus Prime. Two different characters in different universes, but are conceptually they're fundamentally the same (i.e.: heroic leader of the Autobots who love to sacrifice themselves).

The only main difference between The Fallen in the movie and original continuities is their origin - the movieverse stating that he was created by the AllSpark rather than Primus and also lacks any mention of Unicron's influence in his fall to evil. But as TFwiki also comments, the movie universe is still being fleshed out, so perhaps future events may help to resolve this paradox -- or perhaps make it worse. ;)

Guy Smiley (Grimlock)
Lol. :)

foor
25th July 2009, 04:44 PM

I found that while there were similarities in the character between movie and DW-verse, the Fallen was never the inspiration and creator of the Decepticons in the comics media. I liked that concept. I liked the idea of the Fallen being Megatron's master, mirroring almost too closely to the Emperor Palpatine / Darth Vader relationship.

Paulbot
25th July 2009, 05:29 PM
To answer the poll question: I will buy the movie on DVD and am looking forward to running it through iMovie to create a shorter fan edit.

GoktimusPrime
25th July 2009, 07:42 PM
I liked the idea of the Fallen being Megatron's master, mirroring almost too closely to the Emperor Palpatine / Darth Vader relationship.
Yeah. I also liked Megatron's evolution from High Protector to Decepticon leader also mirrored Anakin's journey from Jedi Knight to Sith Lord. Although even when Megatron was a good guy, he was still kind of a jerk. :p

Bartrim
25th July 2009, 08:51 PM
I loved that there was so much more robot action. I really enjoyed the twins banter too.

One scene I really liked and it showed Optimus' influence on the autobots was the scene where NESt are ordered to stand down. Without Primes leadership the other bots were ready to engage the other army soldiers. I really like Ironhides line "You want a piece of me? I'll tear you apart":)

Vector Sigma 13
25th July 2009, 09:24 PM
I loved that there was so much more robot action.

This was all i wanted for this movie and i got it!

Im buying!:D

omegaprime
26th July 2009, 10:22 AM
I liked the fact optimusprime was more like how optimus should of been for ages now.

hes always been to soft.:D

liegeprime
26th July 2009, 10:30 AM
Softimus Prime:p;)

GoktimusPrime
26th July 2009, 10:53 AM
...don't tease me - is there really a plush RotF Prime?! I wants! (for my daughter of course, *cough*) :p

foor
26th July 2009, 08:02 PM
...don't tease me - is there really a plush RotF Prime?! I wants! (for my daughter of course, *cough*) :p

You need a plush Demolishor to go with him.

RageOnTheRoads
3rd August 2009, 12:27 AM
Softimus Prime is the King! He gets my vote. Bitter, genocidal Bay Prime, not so much. :D

Anyways, things I liked, things I liked hmm......

Well there is Bumblebee of course, just as awesome this time around. ILM did a great job with his emoting (his little spat after the kitchen bots and his expression when Sam 'died' was epic). Con-friggin-structicons! Long Haul, Mix, scrapper and Demolisher were amazing and the Screamer/Megs punch ups, equally as fun. :) Ravage was nice, and I really liked Devastators design and the way he merged -despite his pitiful demise.... That is pretty much it.

To answer the poll question: I will buy the movie on DVD and am looking forward to running it through iMovie to create a shorter fan edit.

LOL Bravo! :D

sanbot
3rd August 2009, 01:33 AM
The forest fight scene was cool and the megs/star scream trash talking.

I think thats really all that I liked about the movie!

Although, I picked undecided about buying the DVD in case there are some really cool special features on it.