PDA

View Full Version : FOOD

liegeprime
25th July 2009, 08:06 PM
Okay prolly not in everyones list to discuss, but, Ive been eating the same thing for the past week over and over. Its getting boring. So from time to time I do take outs - not the healthiest option but sometimes you just loose interest in cooking - with masterchef gone from TV inspiration is dwindling actually. SO thought of starting a thread which we can view from time to time and get inspiration on what to eat and cook, whet the appetite so to speak...

Early this week Ive been eating canapes :o:o(lunch, dinner) those water crackers, topped with cream cheese, slice of cucumber and sundried tomato, a piece of olive and a dab of Salmon in XO sauce ( available in Wooly asian are, yum) , its nice but the dry crackers tend to have injured my tongue a bit so I switched a while to Nido soup with fruits. Also eating Sinigang for the last 2days( Filo dish) kinda like Tom Yum only pork. Any other suggestions.....

MV75
25th July 2009, 08:59 PM
Well, I just finished having pancakes for dinner. Real ones, not that bottle crap.

I've got quite a few dishes to my name, no uni bum food though sorry, it's all real food. :) But there are a few cheapies.

Maybe this can be the "what did you eat on the weekend" thread, and people post up recipes on request? Is that what you want?

Vector Sigma 13
25th July 2009, 09:02 PM
Bacon and eggs for Brekkie tommorrow! lol. Another breakfast (probably not really a breakfast meal) favorite of mine is that watties spaghetti and meatballs on toast with some grated cheese on top. Not rocket science but nice.

Good old BBQ is something i try to do once a week with the family. Try doing something other than snags or chops on there. Have some nice salad to go with it and dont forget to grill some mushrooms too!

I dont get to cook much so i enjoy it when i get the chance!

liegeprime
26th July 2009, 12:12 AM
Well, I just finished having pancakes for dinner. Real ones, not that bottle crap.

I've got quite a few dishes to my name, no uni bum food though sorry, it's all real food. :) But there are a few cheapies.

Maybe this can be the "what did you eat on the weekend" thread, and people post up recipes on request? Is that what you want?

Yep something to that effect, all food related, not just on weekends but if somebody comes across , say a delectable food in a resto, something they bought in a shop, do share the info as well:D;)
Better if we get to post piccies as well, enhances the appetite as we do eat first with our eyes.

blackie
26th July 2009, 12:20 AM
here is some stuff i like to eat:

Stuff that is easy:
Steak and salad
Steak and chips
Parma and chips
2 min noodles XD
fish fingers
Tosted ham and cheese sandwiches

stuff that takes time, but is really good:
my amazing noodle dish (will post recepie when i find it XD)
stirfry
Lasagna
chicken pie

making the yummier stuff generally enables you to make it in a batch and freeze it therfore having foods for weeks :D
at least thats what i do when i cook

jacksplatt11
26th July 2009, 04:35 AM
Because I cook for myself nowadays (not living at home and all) my diet ranges between home cooked meals of:

Schnitzels
Bacon and eggs
Home cooked fish n chips (love safeway flathead fillets)
toasted
pizzas
and any variation of chicken diced or stir fry or fillets (burgers or tacos or sandwiches or whatever)
and take away (only on the odd days :p)

Sky Shadow
26th July 2009, 09:39 AM
The other week, Griffin suggested I should post a link to the following site, but it never quite seemed appropriate. Until now... :D

http://www.fancyfastfood.com/

liegeprime
26th July 2009, 10:18 AM
Yuuuuummmmmm thanks for the link Skyshadow!!:D:D I like the soup one. Perfect for winter and its fastfood!

26th July 2009, 10:44 AM
best thing i ever did was get a job in hospitality. My work has 4 restaurants and 6 bars cant go wrong

GoktimusPrime
26th July 2009, 11:25 AM
Stir fries FTW :)

Try peanut satay chicken stir fry (e.g. Kan Tong) w/ coconut rice. To make coconut rice, boil the rice in coconut cream. Tastes really good with curries too. (^_^)

stencilator
26th July 2009, 02:50 PM
Ooooh a food thread... nice! I love eating and cooking, and my wife loves cooking even more than I do... how lucky am I?!!!! Anyway, so far this weekend I have been out to dinner to a fancy Japanese restaurant called Toko... awesome food and quite the spectacle to watch them create artworks in fish. You have to save your pennies but well worth it.

At home, my wife baked me a batch of chocolate brownies... I think she should go into business making them, they rock! She made these ones with quality green and blacks dark chocolate and sour cream... they're soft and gooey but at the same time cakey and not too heavy. (drools like Homer) Oh man I've eaten so much but can't stop.

Tonight I will cook pizzas (making the dough now) followed by apple and rubarb crumble. I love winter food! :D

I'm about to move house and am currently packing our cook books... two boxes I can hardly lift and counting. If anyone wants recipes, I got plenty.

Vector Sigma 13
26th July 2009, 04:14 PM
apple and rubarb crumble

Yum! Reminds me of what my Grandmother used to make!

Somewhere ive got some great camp cooking recipies. I looovvvveee campfire cooking!

Bit hard to do in the city i guess...

liegeprime
26th July 2009, 07:16 PM
Ive been meaning to cook Rhubarb. Never eaten it but looks yummy! Saw this episode from the Cook and the Chef - Maggie Beer's brulee recipe seems pretty simple. Just need to get that blowtorch to do the caramelizing part. oh and those ramekins as well:p need to see if there's any on sale at Myers.

Posting this is Maggie's Rhubarb crumble Ive been meaning to try before winter ends hehehe- but you can eat it anyway even if its not winter:p

1 kg rhubarb stalks
2 oranges, zested, juiced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup caster sugar or 1/4 cup honey

Crumble
140 g unsalted butter cubed and chilled
125g plain flour
80 g dark brown sugar
100 g oats

1) Pre heat oven - 200ºC. Remove leaves off rhubarb and trim brown areas
Wash stalks and string if needed, cut into 4-5 cm pieces
2) Make crumble by rubbing butter into the flour mix with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add sugar and oats, mix by hand
3) Grease moulds/ ramekins. Spread rhubarb out in base and with OJ, zest and cinnamon, sprinkle with sugaror honey. Spread crumble mix on top evenly
4) Bake for 20-25 minutes or til golden and first signs appear of rhubarb juices rising up in the sides. Servew with rich cream.

I for one think this would be great with vanilla :D:p;)ice cream... but since I havent tried it, I can only imagine for now hehehe

TheDirtyDigger
26th July 2009, 10:29 PM
I like pie.

Paulbot
27th July 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm having soup for lunch this week because it means I spend about $1 on lunch each day instead of $7. I don't actually like soup all the much but I'm giving it a go (and hoping it helps my belt as well as my wallet).

I like pie.

and JaAm!

:cool:

Dkaris
27th July 2009, 02:15 PM
I've been experimenting with a Caesar salad foccacia. basically chicken schnitzel, salad and some diced bacon on foccacia bread with some caesar dressing. NOM

sanbot
27th July 2009, 04:01 PM
I made focaccia sandwiches for lunch on saturday for our 6 months. It was really simple, focaccia, ham, mixed salad and spicy capsicum spread but surprisingly filling. Topped it off with strawberries and cherries.

Also baked orange and poppy seed muffins which turned out much better then I'd expected.

I must admit I am quite proud of both of them! Especially the muffins.

Wheel-J
27th July 2009, 07:34 PM
Tonight, right at this very moment whilst watching R'Usmartr>5thG'r, I'm enjoying my Subway's steak and gravy (http://www.subway.com.au/content.asp) with extra jalapenos, mmmm...

:D

Sam
27th July 2009, 07:38 PM
Well I am not a good cook (basically I can make the food edible, that's kinda it), but I sometimes buy diced beef, either dice or slice potatoes, chop some onions, and then stir fry them together.

The other thing I sometimes do is add beef chunks, onions, tomatoes, and tofu into a hot of water and boil it (also add some salt and perhaps chicken stock for flavour).

Most of the time my wife cooks because she knows how to flavour food better than I do (let's just say my knowledge of flavouring food is close to nil), and she knows how to do more dishes.

autobreadticon
27th July 2009, 11:39 PM
Indo. Packet noodles,more than meets the eye in making it

Doubledealer
28th July 2009, 09:27 AM
I find an English breakfast is the best way to start the day...So I have that pretty much every day! :D Usually I'll have:

-1 or 2 rashers of Bacon, 2 eggwhites (1 yolk), baked beans on wholemeal and glass of Dairy Farmers Lite White milk

Other faves:

-2 Birds Eye fish cakes and baked beans
-Plate of Whitebait

When I'm rushed for time (or as a snack during the day):

-Sustagen, Choc Protein Revival (30g protein), Up & Go Energize, Uncle Tobies Oats Quick Sachets

For lunch I usually take leftovers from the night befores dinner

Dinner staples and faves include: Chille con Carne (so cheap, easy and delicious!), Satay Chicken, Beef Stroganoff, Chicken Kiev, Chicken a la King, Casseroles using cheap chuck/blade steak (slow cooked), pesto spaghetti with fresh shaved parmesan, carbonara, Char Sui Pork, Steak Diane, Chicken Volovants, Stir fries (try starting with a base of ginger and garlic, then add veggies/meat and some soy, experiment with oyster and other sauces, add some rice noodles etc.), Turkey burgers (turkey mince is really cheap and tastes just as good as beef - make some burgers by combining an egg, some sweet chilli sauce, onion, salt and pepper) to 500g turkey mince...I have this for lunch with baked beans and cottage cheese...Weird combo but it somehow works, and what a protein hit!

Hopefully that gives you some idea's. :)

liegeprime
28th July 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm having soup for lunch this week because it means I spend about $1 on lunch each day instead of $7. I don't actually like soup all the much but I'm giving it a go (and hoping it helps my belt as well as my wallet).

Erm you could try changing soup flavors then - chicken, then beef, cream of mushroom, cream of corn, Nido, minestroni that way it dont get boring.:D

Doubledealer
28th July 2009, 09:50 AM
Problem with soup is it's really not that filling unless you have a really chunky minestrone or similar. I'm positively ravenous by 12pm - if I had to have soup for lunch I'd pass out by 3pm. :p

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2009, 01:39 PM
Last week I got some take away Yum Cha at a restaurant in Castle Hill called Hilltop Phoenix (http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/hilltop_phoenix/). The food was really good, but their service was DREADFUL. The staff treated me with contempt. :mad: So if you like good Chinese food but don't mind being treated like sub-human crap, then go for it.

Some restaurants that I would recommend are:

Ichi-Ban Boshi (http://www.ichibanboshi.com.au/) - located in Sydney's Bondi Junction (or "Bonjan" in Japanese ;)) and Victoria Galeries building (opposite Kinokuniya) and Gold Coast's Southport. The food and service are great, only downside is that you have to queue as they don't take bookings. Recommended if you're not in a huge hurry to eat right away.

Zenya Noodle Bar (http://www.zenyanoodlebar.com/) - I was surprised to find an _authentic_ Japanese restaurant in Sydney's Eastwood (home of Hasbro Australia)! But yes, the cuisine is authentic and the service is okay. :)

That'll do for now. :)

hotaru_oz
28th July 2009, 04:32 PM
Considering I was in AVCon this weekend I mainly ate take out which consisted of Maccas, Sushi Train and the Pancake kitchen.
There is some Ravioli in the fridge that I should cook up lol

Doubledealer
28th July 2009, 04:59 PM
Last week I got some take away Yum Cha at a restaurant in Castle Hill called Hilltop Phoenix (http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/hilltop_phoenix/). The food was really good, but their service was DREADFUL. The staff treated me with contempt. :mad: So if you like good Chinese food but don't mind being treated like sub-human crap, then go for it.

Ichi-Ban Boshi (http://www.ichibanboshi.com.au/) - located in Sydney's Bondi Junction (or "Bonjan" in Japanese ;)) and Victoria Galeries building (opposite Kinokuniya) and Gold Coast's Southport. The food and service are great, only downside is that you have to queue as they don't take bookings. Recommended if you're not in a huge hurry to eat right away.

Zenya Noodle Bar (http://www.zenyanoodlebar.com/) - I was surprised to find an _authentic_ Japanese restaurant in Sydney's Eastwood (home of Hasbro Australia)! But yes, the cuisine is authentic and the service is okay. :)

That Yum Cha place sounds a bit scary! Were you trying to pay with your credit card each time they offered you a dish? :p

I went for Yum Cha for the first time the other week, I was amazed at how popular this Chinese tradition is - the place (The Golden Palace) was PACKED. The food was a bit hit and miss (one meal I dubbed 'liquorish slime rice') but overall it was a fun experience. If anyone goes there I'd recommend the BBQ pork buns (does anyone not like these though :p), the crispy prawn/mayo rolls with seeweed band aaaand err, that's all I can remember. Be wary of the spring rolls...The ones we got were simply sausages in spring roll cases. :/

After doing some research on the net it seems like most of the popular Yum Cha places in Brisbane are down south in Sunny Bank...Might have to try somewhere there next time. :)

sanbot
28th July 2009, 10:02 PM

I had the same experience you did at Hilltop Phoenix. Although my friend and I only ordered one dish of fried rice to share between the two of us :p so perhaps they may have thought we were not good enough for them.

Speaking of Japanese food, I love my ramen and I've had ramen in so many places both in Japan and here in Sydney. One place that has awesome ramen where the soup is thick and brothy and the meat fresh and the chef is actually Japanese is Ryo's noodles on Falcon street in Crows Nest (pronouced Leo, for some reason Japanese pronouce there 'l's as 'r's hehe). Its not immediately obvious because its just a small restaurant in a section of Falcon street where you would not expect there to be a restaurant. You cannot make bookings and as a result you have to wait in line on some nights.

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2009, 07:50 PM
for some reason Japanese pronouce there 'l's as 'r's hehe
Replied here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=118791#post118791) :)