PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Transformers Mighty Muggs?

Deceptic_Optic
26th July 2009, 10:01 AM
I dunno if this had been posted before i havent check but what do people think of mighty muggs?

dirge
26th July 2009, 11:50 AM
I voted for the second option... having said that, I can't say I "hate" them, because that involves active emotion. I simply have no interest whatsoever.

Ode to a Grasshopper
26th July 2009, 11:58 AM
They're like Action Masters but uglier, less posable, and with no Transforming bits at all. What's the point?

GoktimusPrime
26th July 2009, 12:41 PM
They're like Action Masters but uglier, less posable, and with no Transforming bits at all. What's the point?
+1 QFT!

There's also no fictional justification for them either. As lame as the Nucleon plot device was, at least it existed. And yeah, Action Masters had transforming weapons and vehicles. They also had unique characters like Krok, Mainframe etc. whereas Mighty Muggs are all just rehashed G1 characters -- and all overdone characters from the first two years of G1 too.

Shane McCarthy'd!

P.S.: My understanding of Mighty Muggs is that they're supposed to be customisable so people can make whatever character they want - like Stikfas (only uglier). But I've _never_ seen a blank Mighty Mugg anywhere! I wouldn't mind seeing people make their own customised TF Mighty Muggs like Bludgeon, Unicron, the Liege Maximo etc.

Lint
26th July 2009, 01:30 PM
I respect their existence. They're like themed plushies which make great gifts for small children, partners, pets and gag gift for a mate since they do look like miniature blow up dolls.

I feel sorry for anyone who feels compelled to collect these simply because of their branding :p

TF76
26th July 2009, 02:40 PM
Im as much into merch as actual transformers and see them (like the potato head stuff) as that.

I like them, I respond to them better emotionally (as familiar characters) than any of the Classics toys.

So far I don't like the movie ones (possibly being released).

rampagesss
26th July 2009, 06:58 PM
I quite like them, its interesting to see different looking versions of G1 Transformers and as long as they keep making them (Generation 1 versions, the movie one look bad) ill keep buying them :D

turtle boy
26th July 2009, 07:08 PM
I don't like the at all, I was confused when I first saw them. To hell with them I say

BigPenney
27th July 2009, 08:21 AM
I like them.
I have the Soundwave and a few from other series and would love to get Grimlock and Shockwave (if he is ever released) however they are something I would only buy when on special. They’re good, but not worth the $25 stores charge.

Paulbot
27th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Some are cute, some aren't. I've got better things to spend my money on but I'll accept them as gifts. :cool:

TheDirtyDigger
27th July 2009, 10:06 AM
THEY F***ING SUCK!!!:mad:

Their only useful purpose would be as target practice for gun clubs.
Such a disgusting waste of precious natural resource.

Deceptic_Optic
27th July 2009, 10:21 AM
lol :eek::D

shokwave2
27th July 2009, 06:28 PM
I don't mind them. I like "arty" collectables that are different from the rest of the line. I was going to collect them all, still might, but at the moment i'll just wait for Shockwave.

MV75
27th July 2009, 06:45 PM
They're just the same base figure with a different print screening on them. Pointless.

shokwave2
27th July 2009, 09:31 PM
They're just the same base figure with a different print screening on them. Pointless.

So are Seekers, repaints, 25th anniversaries, premium editions and jungle camo versions.

TheDirtyDigger
27th July 2009, 09:49 PM
So are Seekers, repaints, 25th anniversaries, premium editions and jungle camo versions.

Yeah but they all transform.

MV75
27th July 2009, 10:10 PM

Not exactly right. Plus they're not pointless. :D

Jetfire
28th July 2009, 07:35 PM
Nah. They look rubbish.

yukitora
25th August 2009, 06:03 PM
the next group in the line of transformer paperweights. the first being ultimate bumblebee (with hat).

SilverDragon
25th August 2009, 06:12 PM
I have no interest in them. That being said, the custom one made for Derrick J Wyatt is awesome.

Robzy
25th August 2009, 08:16 PM
I voted the 'hate' option but, as Dirge said, I don't really care about them whatsoever.

I'm just not a fan of Transformers that don't transform... what's the point? :rolleyes:

SOUNDBLASTER
25th August 2009, 08:19 PM
Hate and definatly recycle . :D

autobreadticon
25th August 2009, 08:51 PM
they are terrible , but i couldn't help getting Soundwave & Starscream (looks awesome) :o

Jhiaxus
27th August 2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah. Put me down for responding to this thread mostly so people can see where I stand on this sort of thing... rather than actually caring.

The Mighty Muggs clearly aren't aimed at me. They're certainly not for the sort of person who genuinely collects TRANSFORMERS. People who like G1 merch... sure.

But I've got these characters already... in better, more interactive forms. So... uhhh... who cares?

For people who want cute little TF figurines, maybe they'll appeal?

--Jhiaxus
(Colour me "Needs to Transform".)

heroic_decepticon
27th August 2009, 01:58 PM
i think they are the natural response to kubrick/bearbrick.

They're certainly not for the sort of person who genuinely collects TRANSFORMERS.

that's too much of a generalisation :p

GoktimusPrime
27th August 2009, 02:56 PM
I think he means that genuine Transformers collectors aren't the primary demographic target for Mighty Muggs, rather they're aiming more for people who wouldn't even consider themselves fans but would like to have some G1 merchandise to decorate their work or home office. While there are actual fan-collectors who buy them I don't think we're the intended market, cos if we were I'm sure they wouldn't, ya know, suck so bad. :p :D ;)

High_Q
27th August 2009, 08:23 PM
I think he means that genuine Transformers collectors aren't the primary demographic target for Mighty Muggs

Genuine TF collectors who also to collect designer toys(e.g. urban vinyl, Kubricks) are the target market. Mighty Muggs - 100% super deformed - 100% recycled awesome.

Ultra Streak
9th October 2009, 12:30 AM
I wanted to tick the hated box but I actually picked up the soundwave one in Singapore. He was the only one i liked though, the rest are totally lame.

Grievous
16th January 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not the biggest fan...but I picked up a Snake Eyes one
the other day on sale and he looks pretty cool.

The only one I'm really keen on is G1 Shockwave...
:cool:

heroic_decepticon
17th January 2010, 11:24 AM
I too have a Snake Eyes one and one for my favourite marvel character - Thanos!

Grievous
18th January 2010, 07:33 PM
So...I went back to Toys'R'Us today and picked up the Cobra Commander
& Destro Mighty Muggs.

They only cost me $15.00 each like with Snakes Eyes...so why not?
Destro looks awesome...light just bounces off his head...
;)

Hopefully they will end up reducing the Transformers Mighty Muggs...
That would be sweet...
:D

DarkHyren
19th January 2010, 02:50 AM
I've seen these from time to time in stores. I have no idea what they are.
Statues maybe, though I'm told they are like plush toys :confused:
They don't interest me other then the fact that they are something that vaguely look like some TFs.
Overpriced for what they are, whatever that may be.
If I'm buying a TF statue/paperweight I would rather spend money on one that looks like the character its supposed to be.

griffin
19th January 2010, 02:31 PM
They are novelty items, that should have worn off by now... They are solid plastic, oversized figurines with limited movement (usually just the arms and head, and most often the legs as well - but need to stand on both to balance).
If Hasbro can spend 18 months on a Deluxe sized toy, enginneering 50+ parts to be able to convert between multiple modes, I don't see how this lump of 5-minute engineering should cost the same as a Deluxe just because it is the same size. Same can be said about the Robot Replicas, but at least they have better sculpting.

Vector Sigma 13
19th January 2010, 09:22 PM
Whats that descriptive word im trying to think of...

Ah-

Crap!

heroic_decepticon
20th January 2010, 08:28 AM
They are novelty items, that should have worn off by now... They are solid plastic, oversized figurines with limited movement...

I think the key word is "novelty". Cos that's what the Mighty Muggs are.

I think its a brilliant concept, almost like the Kubrick/Bearbrick concept. There is a simple sculpt and through ingenuity, anything can be painted on it and it can look like any character. It is a cool concept, and obviously can make lots of money for the toy companies.

So, I am fond of them to the extent that I am fond of the concept.

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2010, 11:26 AM
Well they're a crap novelty to me. But you're right about Mighty Muggs sharing the same concept as Be@rbricks.