PDA

View Full Version : Sculpturing Putty

rampagesss
30th July 2009, 05:30 PM
Not sure if this is the right section, but im looking for some putty that i can use to make custom faces, ive tried my local hobby stores but they don't have what i want. I want it to have a concistancy of clay or blue tac that and will harden once i have the shape i want so i can sculpt it into transformer faces and parts.

Any help would be great

This link here shows what i want, but where can i get some here
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214554-custom-head-tutorial-sculpt-bot.html

gamblor916
30th July 2009, 05:51 PM
I picked up some Aves Apoxie Sculpt (http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html). Good stuff! Start with something like the 1/4lb pack.

nettie!
30th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Talk to TF76! He used to do LOTS of sculpting and garage kits and stuff so he knows lots! pm him! :)

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2009, 08:46 PM
I've used Sculpey and Super Sculpey. Neither are very durable though :( I find Super Sculpey never really properly hardens and while baked Sculpey is harder, it's also brittle. (T_T) So yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend them, even though they seem quite popular from what I've read in magazines. I guess they're good for making customising toys that you only ever intend to display and never play with... which does NOT work well with me!

TF76
30th July 2009, 10:09 PM
My top 3 would be...

Super Sculpey is really good but not the most durable, but it is pretty strong I have some stuff i made about 8 years and it is fine. It takes a bit of practice getting it just right (it should be really hard) but avoid normal Sculpey its bad! Riot Art sell this. Very good for fine detail. (It is more like bluetack)

Miliput is an epoxy with a slow drying time, it is water soluble really strong.
Model/Hobby shops should still sell that. Good for detail but a bit mushy for my liking and I didnt find it good for reallly thin stuff. (It is more like clay)

Sellys kneed it, sets really fast but as long as you do stuff in stages it is suprising just how useful it is. CUT the (usually dry) end off befor you cut the bit you want to use, it makes the putty a bit smoother. Bunnings should sell this. Not the best for detail i roughed stuff out with it a lot, that said I did do some detail work with it too. (It is more like bluetack)

kup
31st July 2009, 12:01 AM
I used Sculpty to fix toys with small missing pieces before with reasonable success.

Before I got Timelines 06 Megatron I thought of kitbashing a Cybertron Defense Red Alert into one and tried Sculpting a Megatron head. I must say that it turned out pretty decent and recognisable as Megatron, a retarded looking Megatron but still Megatron :)

liegeprime
31st July 2009, 05:03 AM
Sculpey and super sculpey is good but there might be better ones that doesnt need to be baked to a tee. Ive used both but it takes close attention to really be able to achieve a proper baking time. Also if you are not careful with these they can burn on some parts 9thinner) and still be half baked in some (from experience:o) try Pming TF76 as Nettie said, sounds like he's been playing with stuff for quite some time.

GoktimusPrime
31st July 2009, 10:32 AM
Sculpey and super sculpey is good but there might be better ones that doesnt need to be baked to a tee.
Sculpey needs to be baked whereas Super Sculpey will set in room temperature. :)

liegeprime
31st July 2009, 12:22 PM
Sculpey needs to be baked whereas Super Sculpey will set in room temperature. :)

No wonder it hardened on mine hehehe, should read instructions more:D

stencilator
31st July 2009, 01:40 PM
I really like the Tamiya quick set stuff. It goes off over night and sticks like buggery to the plastic. I also find that it's a very similar strength to the plastic so sections that are added to existing plastic can be sanded to blend in seamlessly (can be - not saying that I always can). It's what I always use for head resculpting... like this recent Arcee head I did for someone's birthday... ;) It's the first movie arcee head with some serious carving and putty additions.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/stencilator/002-3.jpg

Sorry about the craptacular photo. :o

lcz128
31st July 2009, 03:26 PM

Incorrect.

I think we covered this in another thread... but oh well - I have a box in my bag and it does not set at room temperature (SUPER Sculpey).
Rather - it says bake at 130 degrees celcius for 15minutes per 6mm of thickness.

It also says 'Super Sculpey remains soft and pliable when stored in a cool place'

:)

GoktimusPrime
31st July 2009, 10:23 PM
That explains why it never hardened properly! :p

So what's the difference between Sculpey and Super Sculpey then? Does the latter come from Krypton?

yukitora
31st July 2009, 10:39 PM
games-workshop green stuff, kiddies.
the more blue you use, the harder and quicker it sets. the more green, the softer and longer it sets, allowing you to carve into it over a couple of days. works on plastic and metal. use with wet fingers or wet knife so it dont stick to you! becomes bit sticky when first drying. you can even use glue to stick it on to something first, or use it like glue to jam two bits together. or use it like a stamp. i cant sculpt for shit, but i know how to customise with parts! you can paint straight over it too.

bruticus
2nd August 2009, 12:19 AM
games-workshop green stuff, kiddies.
the more blue you use, the harder and quicker it sets. the more green, the softer and longer it sets, allowing you to carve into it over a couple of days. works on plastic and metal. use with wet fingers or wet knife so it dont stick to you! becomes bit sticky when first drying. you can even use glue to stick it on to something first, or use it like glue to jam two bits together. or use it like a stamp. i cant sculpt for shit, but i know how to customise with parts! you can paint straight over it too.

huh, are you really a chick?
OIC... it must be from the kalgoorlie upbringing... lol just kidding :p

Green stuff is darn expensive hey...
I too cant sculpt for sh*t but hopefully when my dremel arrives next week i can err... fine tune some of my "works of art"

Lord_Zed
2nd August 2009, 02:55 AM
Green stuff is darn expensive hey...
I too cant sculpt for sh*t but hopefully when my dremel arrives next week i can err... fine tune some of my "works of art"

Sure is that's why you go to an indy hobbystore and buy another cheaper brand. Works just as well.