PDA

View Full Version : ROTF breaks into top10 US & top20 worldwide charts.

griffin
31st July 2009, 07:18 PM
Still out in theatres and slowly working its way past US$800million worldwide, the second TFs movie has made it into the top 10 all-time earners list in America, AND the top 20 all-time earners worldwide lists.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

And on the 'adjusted for inflation' US list, ROTF comes in at #84.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Tabias Prime
31st July 2009, 08:03 PM
well what dos this say about all the bad reviews:confused:someone must of done something right:p

TheDirtyDigger
31st July 2009, 08:28 PM
I think it's an indictment on the state of society.
I blame Baby Boomers and Gen Y...

...equally.

heroic_decepticon
31st July 2009, 11:33 PM
.......... what's the world coming to (audiences must like to 'turn their brains off' (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php) when watching movies)

Lord_Zed
1st August 2009, 01:33 AM
While I don't think ROTF is top 10 material, I do think people turning their brains of at the movies is a given. And to be honest I can sympathize a bit with that, after a long week of work turning the old brain of and just going to see some thrills and spills has its appeal. I think I'm actualy more likely to concentrate when watching a DVD at home than watching a movie on the big screen these days.

I mean how many of this top 10 list actauly have clever and engaging plots?

heroic_decepticon
1st August 2009, 01:36 PM
I mean how many of this top 10 list actauly have clever and engaging plots?

If by 'clever and engaging' you don't set the bar as high as (to name a few examples) The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Saw I & II type 'clever and engaging', I think that at least the following in the top 10 would fit the bill (and rightly so):

(1) Titanic
(2) The Dark Knight
(3) Star Wars
(5) ET
(8) Spider-Man

The top 20 list however, is far from based on good taste, with movies like Dead Man's Chest, Spider-Man 3, Kingdom of the Crystal and At World's End and ermmm..... Revenge of the Fallen, in it.

Lord_Zed
2nd August 2009, 02:39 AM
I supose you are correct, but then we start to drift into the realm of personal taste, what I might find clever and engaging you might find dull and repetative.

Suffice it to say that while I enjoyed most of the movies in the top 10 (bar one). For half of them I found the main draw card was awesome action and fight scenes. While the story itself seemed to play second fiddle. I still enjoyed them all though.

Here I'm reffering to:
Star Wars Episode 1
Star Wars Episode 3
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Spider-Man
And of course Transformers Return of the Fallen

SofaMan
2nd August 2009, 11:23 PM
well what dos this say about all the bad reviews:confused:someone must of done something right:p

Well, McDonald's sells a lot more food than most other restaurants. Doesn't mean it's any good though.

TF76
2nd August 2009, 11:29 PM
Well, McDonald's sells a lot more food than most other restaurants. Doesn't mean it's any good though.

umm...depends if your the one who eats it or the one who profit from it. :p

...actually it makes no difference apple pies are $1 that all $1! How can you go wrong! Best food place ever! :D

SofaMan
2nd August 2009, 11:34 PM
I did notice that out of the World Top 10, that 8 of them were sequels. LotR was a least a single narrative split over 3 films; the other six are just 'whore's movies (http://www.writingstudio.co.za/page250.html)'. Their success was largely based off the success of the first film.

In the Top 25, 5 of them are Harry Potter films, and 17 of them were sequels. Only 8 were actually original movies!

I'm actually slightly terrified of what this says about us as a culture. Are we really that frightened of being told stories that are completely new?

SofaMan
2nd August 2009, 11:36 PM
umm...depends if your the one who eats it or the one who profit from it. :p

...actually it makes no difference apple pies are $1 that all $1! How can you go wrong! Best food place ever! :D

Of course the other point is it doesn't matter if you take one bite, spit it into the bin and throw the remainder of the apple pie after it. They've still got your dollar.

By the time you discover you don't like it, it's too late. They've got your money.

TF76
2nd August 2009, 11:45 PM
Of course the other point is it doesn't matter if you take one bite, spit it into the bin and throw the remainder of the apple pie after it. They've still got your dollar.

By the time you discover you don't like it, it's too late. They've got your money.

Win win situation. I get excited it is a dollar, they get excited about my dollar.

I guess if you happen to like the tast (like I do) well that's an extra bonus. I've been hitting the apple pies hard lately.

mangis
2nd August 2009, 11:52 PM
Totally disappointed that none of them are actually really good movies. Films that tell a great story and are genuinely entertaining, ones that make you think about them long after you've seen them haven't seemed to do anything at the box office. For example Gran Turino, one of - if not THE - best films of the year doesn't make an appearance.

I've noticed it in previous years as well, films like Inside Man, Taken, The Professional ... and going back a long long time - Bladerunner. All Spectacular films.