PDA

View Full Version : Video games (Trade em, Sell em, Keep em?)

Paulbot
3rd August 2009, 01:58 PM
Over the weekend I fired up my Playstation 2 for the first time in maybe six months. (It had been buried in my bedroom and the TV blocked).

I plan to buy an XBox within the next 12 months but first I have PSOne and PS2 games I've never finished that I should finish.

But some of them: I'm just not going to, or don't want to play again, so I'm thinking about exchanging them for cash (to go towards the Xbox).

I'm after some advice on how to do that. I hear bad things about EBGame exchange rates. I'm no so sure about JB Hi-Fi's trade ins. Or Cash Convertors maybe?

Some I want to hang on to, like the Tomb Raider series and Resident Evil 2-4, and things like Ultimate Spider-Man and Rival Schools which I enjoyed a lot. But it's been years since I played some of the other games. Some are too long and invovled for another playthrough or to dip in for an odd hour or so (The Final Fantasy games or Metal Gear Solid 3 for instance).

A couple of games can attract relatively big dollars on Australian Ebay (Final Fantasy VII to IX, Marvel vs Capcom 2) but while the big dollars is appealing the risk of ebay buyers diddling me with false claims makes me wary of using that.

I've considered listing some of them for sale here too where I have more trust in the buyers.

Or do I keep them all in the highly unlikely event I'll play them again one day.

What do others do? Build video game libraries or play em out and trade em in?

blackie
3rd August 2009, 02:14 PM
dont sell the FF games, theyre classic
i remember i wanted to trade in some of my old xbox games a little while ago, and at best i would have got $2 a game :(
i just keep all mine for the times i get so bored, or am too poor to buy a new game and i crack them out every now and again

1AZRAEL1
3rd August 2009, 02:33 PM
I keep all mine, though I have sold a couple over the years.

Never sell FF, love those games. I atempted to start VIII again, stopped playing it again. I finished it once, and beat the last boss first go as well. Almost too long a game to play through again.

I still keep my Legacy Of Kain games, will always play them again someday.

But hey, they could be like N64 and Sega games in a few years time - In high demand.

Kyle
3rd August 2009, 02:44 PM
Paul, is your MVC2 a PAL disc? If you're selling it I would be interested in buying. :p

Paulbot
3rd August 2009, 03:44 PM
Paul, is your MVC2 a PAL disc? If you're selling it I would be interested in buying. :p

It is a PAL disc. I figure I'll download the new XBox version once I get an XBox so I don't really need to hang on to it. Haven't decided yet but I will let you know when I do.

The Final Fantasy games are great, but when I think about the (at least) 50 hours of game play each has I don't see myself playing through them again. (I still need to finish IV and I bought but haven't even started playing XII, plus I have been playing III on the DS and haven't started IV on the DS yet either!!).

With all these new games to play I just don't see myself playing the old ones and so they just sit there. And when I look around my room I just see potential dollars and shelf space. :)

1AZRAEL1
3rd August 2009, 04:12 PM
The Final Fantasy games are great, but when I think about the (at least) 50 hours of game play each has I don't see myself playing through them again. (I still need to finish IV and I bought but haven't even started playing XII, plus I have been playing III on the DS and haven't started IV on the DS yet either!!).

With all these new games to play I just don't see myself playing the old ones and so they just sit there. And when I look around my room I just see potential dollars and shelf space. :)

LOL fair point. I think FFVIII took me well over 100 hours, somewhere around 150 hours, stupid card game :p

TheDirtyDigger
3rd August 2009, 04:41 PM

PB can you please tell Kyle that you're not going to sell it at all and secretly sell it to me.
I really need this game and I promise I wont tell him. ;)

Kyle
3rd August 2009, 04:49 PM
PB can you please tell Kyle that you're not going to sell it at all and secretly sell it to me.
I really need this game and I promise I wont tell him. ;)

:o:p:D

strop
3rd August 2009, 05:54 PM
With places like Cash converters they only give a certain amount for games depending on which platform has the highest rate of customers

With EB and JB HI FI will only give extra IF the game is brand new and highly in demand or very high in demand and that goes for games as well.

I would say to sell them seperately on forums that way you know when they have paid you and they more then likely give good refs. By the way if you have ff8 I would gladly buy that off you lol.

shokwave2
3rd August 2009, 07:43 PM
Sell the games you don't think you'll play again. You won't miss them if you're not interested in them now. You can always buy them back later down the track. Personally, i trade in or sell a game once it's finished or i get sick of it.

As for trade-ins, Cash Converters and EB are probably the worst for value. JB give the best trade in value. But if you're just after cash, Cash Converters is the only one of the three to offer cash. JB and EB only offer store credit which is ok if you're looking for a new game or DVD.

eBay is good for selling the rarer games. Post your lowest amount you'd want for the games (e.g. $50), otherwise you'll ending up dissappointed when an auction ends at $5.

I own about 18 Xbox360 games and probably another 8 Xbox LIVE arcade (downloaded) games. I play probably 4-5 games on rotation and pull out an old game once a month to mix things up. I should get rid of about 8 games which are gathering dust.

So if you're after cash, eBay or Cashies. If you're after store credit, JB or EB. Don't forget you can always out stire credit towards a new console.

Gutsman Heavy
3rd August 2009, 08:59 PM
post a list of the games, I might be interested in some PSX games.

Paulbot
3rd August 2009, 09:01 PM
Suddenly everyone wants to buy my stuff. :) Good to know.

Thanks Strop and Shockwave for the tips on those particular stores.

Kyle
3rd August 2009, 09:03 PM
I'll pay good price. :D

Stompy
3rd August 2009, 09:40 PM
The vultures are circling... hehe.

I'm interested in Rival Schools if you ever want to part with them. :p

As for trading, you won't really get much for the old stuff (anything not 360, PS3 or Wii games) unless you know their value, which you can probably get more for on ebay. Otherwise, just hang on to them. Otherwise sell them to loving owners. MvC2 is quite sought after but demand should dwindle since the 360 and PSN versions are out (which is pretty good btw, no need to unlock characters).

But as mentioned above by strop, best to sell it at forums and in-the-know's than trading them in for a few measly dollars.

Paulbot
4th August 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm interested in Rival Schools if you ever want to part with them. :p

Rival Schools would be a keeper I'm afraid. It's a very fun game, the only 3D fighter I've liked, and I like the novelty of having a game that is only in Japanese.

MvC2 is quite sought after but demand should dwindle since the 360 and PSN versions are out (which is pretty good btw, no need to unlock characters).

That release has made me think I just missed the boat of making the most money I could from MvC2, but also that I don't need the PS2 version if I can get the new version on the next gen console.

Kyle
4th August 2009, 04:40 PM
That release has made me think I just missed the boat of making the most money I could from MvC2, but also that I don't need the PS2 version if I can get the new version on the next gen console.

Me or TDD will still pay good money for it! :D

Blink90210
4th August 2009, 06:37 PM
I have nothing to say about what the best thing to do with the games are, but I do want to say that I HATED the entire "vs" series from Capcom (3 button supers, ugh). Rival Schools is very good, I was also a fan of the Street Fighter EX series and of course Tekken 3 is the benchmark for 3D fighters.

hotaru_oz
10th August 2009, 06:00 PM
Personally I wouldn't sell your Final Fantasy games they are now collectors items now.
anything older than PS2 your better off selling on the forums, most places except Cash Converters and Game Trader's deal with older games and they don't offer much.

bruticus
10th August 2009, 07:16 PM
Over the weekend I fired up my Playstation 2 for the first time in maybe six months. (It had been buried in my bedroom and the TV blocked).

you mean you found something in your messy room?? whoah....

Hey, i cant believe that there are FF fans here too. Hopefully i can show my FF collection some day.

yeah i definitely would never sell the FF games unless you desperately need the cash. So what if you will never play them again... when you pour 70+ hours into something, surely there should be some sentimental values attached with it.

but im not sure what you are going to do with your other games... i havent heard much demand for second hand disc games whilst the mod chips, torrents and dvd burners are commonplace. Game catridges on the other hand have maintained their value over the years and are still sought after.

Do you have Gametraders in melbourne?? you might want to look them up if they are around your area.

kurdt_the_goat
10th August 2009, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure how much MvC2 would have got you anyway, the Dreamcast version is the one favoured by most fans due to some random arcade innaccuracy in the PS2 version that escapes me at the moment.

kup
11th August 2009, 10:42 AM
Anyone have Fallout 3 for PC which they want to sell?

Paulbot
19th August 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm going to list some of my PSX, PS2 and DS games for sale on the board soon. I'm just having a go at several of them to decide whether I do want to play them again or if they wont be missed. (I'm also still undecided about keeping or selling MvC 2 sorry guys).