PDA

View Full Version : All Hail Megatron Coda #13 to #16

Paulbot
7th August 2009, 06:02 PM
Thought I'd start a new thread for these four issues and leave the last thread for people who read the second trade to comment.

The first issue of the new series starts with an Ironhide/Optimus Prime chat. It kind of feels like an extended Mosaic and is very much a discussion with a few flashbacks thrown in. Both aspects are interesting. The art though... Adopting the movie feel is not too bad. The added complexity to the robot modes isn't too far removed from what we saw in the earlier IDW series. It's just the faces. Well for me it's the teeth (and Prime's retractable faceplate) that just look wrong.

The second story has more traditional looking character models, but the style and colouring make me think of the earliest Transformers tie-in books. I prefered it when I saw the previews in black and white, but it grew on me. The story features the giant Astrotrain as seen in TFTM but somehow makes him seem even bigger than in the film.

There's a throwaway line describing the tapes as Soundwave's children. I don't think it's meant to be taken literally as it clashes with Megatron: Origin (even though I tend to view that as an Dreamwave comic published by IDW). If it is I think it's the first time in canon that Soundwave has been called a parent to the tapes, and that's an idea I've personally never been a fan of.

I generally like how these two stories seem like two short Spotlight comics and look forward to the next three issues.

kup
7th August 2009, 06:12 PM
so it's out? cool.

Sorry didn't read any of your post to avoid spoilers :p

Paulbot
7th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Yes #13 was out last week I believe. No real plot spoilers in my first post.

i_amtrunks
7th August 2009, 06:48 PM
Week before actually! :p

Got a mate to nab it for me when it came out, and I still have not read it, that's how bad the impression the 5 page preview gave me.

Might go find it and read it now, no good footy on yet and there's 15 minutes before the cricket starts!

i_amtrunks
7th August 2009, 07:38 PM
Might go find it and read it now,

And what a waste of 5 minutes.

First story was... well boring. Sure it is nice to get a bit of depth to characters, (especially after the cartoon portrayal of characters used in AHM) and in that aspect its a decent but not outstanding story. However Ironhide and Optimus have been heavily featured in IDW stories already. Had it been a lesser known pair (Springer and Kup perhaps) it would have been far better.
Art is atrocious, and if I knew this was the direction IDW were heading in, I'd drop their comics right now.

The second story written by Mike Costa gives us a better idea of what to expect from the ongoing series, Starscream is back to his infiltration style character, a complete 180 change from where he was at the end of AHM (which was so very out of character for him in everything IDW), Kind of glad to see him back to scheming while Soundwave remains ever loyal. Also interesting that Starscream grabbed the Matrix.
Liked the little mental note about Razorclaw, and the splinter factions, ties into the "-tion" stories and other transformers lore in general.
Art was different, but in a good way, I actually enjoyed the change for the shorter story, but certainly something Id not like to see in the ongoing.

Both stories had an extended Mosaic feel to them, a nice change of pace, but I'm sure I will be sick of it come AHM #16, for what really is a series to tie AHM into the "-tion" and future ongoing series, a problem that should never have occurred in the first place.

Blink90210
7th August 2009, 07:47 PM
I believe Mike Costa is going to do the on-going Transformers comic and based on what he's written, I've sure it'll be ok. As I said to PB two weeks ago, I'm not a fan of the teeth and the way the eyes are done and I really hope I can look past it because it really is distracting for me.

Zahhak
7th August 2009, 09:04 PM
best line in the comic : starscream "I'd jettison him(megatron) ceremoniously into orbit if I didn't have this nagging feeling he'd back stronger'
TFTM references for the win.

roller
8th August 2009, 06:51 PM
first story is stupid

i think the G1 cartoon pulled off drinking robots better then this story

The art!!!! why IDW why???!!!!

From start to finish it should be the same type of artwork, i want consistency in the art!!!

Infiltration- great art > Maximum dinobots- Armada cartoon art> AHM Coda-movie designs on G1 silly

The second story was good, but that line by starscream about throwin the corpse into space, just too silly

liegeprime
9th August 2009, 06:40 AM
I believe Mike Costa is going to do the on-going Transformers comic and based on what he's written, I've sure it'll be ok. As I said to PB two weeks ago, I'm not a fan of the teeth and the way the eyes are done and I really hope I can look past it because it really is distracting for me.

Creepy is the word I can think to describe those eyes and teeth detailing:o

kup
16th August 2009, 10:26 AM
I have to agree that both these stories felt more like extended fan made Mosaics than anything substantial that adds to the overall story. I am disappointed with this because if I want to read isolated 'character depth' stories like these that add very little then I can just go to the Mosaic website and read them for free instead!

The Prime and Ironhide story was indeed a waste of time. A very cliche 'Don't leave! You are my friend and we need you. Let's remember the old times!' story which is pretty much what you expect to read in a Mosaic. I didn't mind the art so much but I did see it as non fitting as although the attempt is to make them more movie like, it didn't do that too well and it just ends up looking freaky and Prime's mouth was awful. However even with the art aside, the story wasn't very good and didn't make much sense. I felt that Ironhide didn't really contribute much to Prime's leadership and was more of an obstacle than a proper mentor.

It seems that Furman thought up this story in 5 minutes without much effort and given the treatment that he has received from IDW, its no surprise. I also would be reluctant in dedicating a lot of work and time into something only to have the publisher discard it all in favor of a mediocre 12 issue story with a mediocre writer.

Overall the story was lame and it didn't bring anything to the table in regards to the overall story ark.

The Starscream story was a little better but again, it also read like an extended Mosaic. It is basically a character story on Starscream which feels a bit odd and contradictory to events we saw in Issue 12 to AHM when it comes to Starscream's character. Specially when he tried to talk Soundwave into turning off the life support systems. That wasn't very 'Decepticon' of him according to Issue 12, he is supposed to take power not have it handed to him :rolleyes:

The bit with 'Soundwave's children was also lame but I hope that Starscream meant that figuratively.

This Mosaic *cough* Coda story did contribute more story wise. We know that the Matrix is still under the possession of the Decepticons and that the Decepticons are still divided into factions as it has pretty much always been in the comics and that Razorclaw is a contender for the Decepticon throne if Megatron dies. These bits that explain 'forgotten plot points' in AHM 1-12 are good but not enough to make this story worthwhile as the story went no where - It was basically 'A day in the life of Starscream' story.

This issue of the first Coda is very disappointing. The writers are not making any real effort- particularly Furman - and they seem no longer willing to bring forth an involved story ark as IDW has proven willing to discard years of work for something inferior and badly thought out as a 'reader appeal' attempt and as a writer who likes involved and meaning full story arks, Furman clearly doesn't want to risk that happening again.

I expected to read proper stories, not two meaningless Mosaics. I am very tempted to call it quits as of now as paying $8 per issue isn't worth it for this work.

i_amtrunks
24th August 2009, 07:54 PM
AHM #14 is good. uneccesary but a good read.

Sunstreakers story is very much un-needed, and in many ways rather stupid, it tries so very hard to try and tell us why Streaker wants all humans dead (especially for those who may have only started reading at AHM) but fails to get any emotion or feeling into the story (but does give us a looksie into a possible return for Streaker)

Galvatron/Dead Universe story was interesting, and pretty good. The fact it has no relation to AHM and is the best story since Maximum Dinobots cannot be just a coincidence. It is the only Coda story thus far released that looks to tie into the ongoing series, yet also tell a decent story in it's own 11 page run.

Art is good for both issues, colours also well done, felt like an Escalation issue more than a CODA.

GoktimusPrime
24th August 2009, 09:22 PM
The Sunstreaker story was quite disappointing and just rather pointless. IMHO it didn't reveal anything substantial that we really didn't already know. Very meh. I'm also _not_ a fan of Sunstreaker being referred to as "Streaker." (-_-)

The Dead Universe story was a far better read. I like how it went in to further explain the nature of their undeath and how Cyclonus is some kind of anomaly. The origin of the Sweeps was interesting. Galvatron's new insanity streak is interesting, harkening back to his G1 cartoon counterpart, now fused with his more lethal comic persona.

Lord_Zed
24th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Sunstreakers story is very much un-needed, and in many ways rather stupid, it tries so very hard to try and tell us why Streaker wants all humans dead (especially for those who may have only started reading at AHM) but fails to get any emotion or feeling into the story (but does give us a looksie into a possible return for Streaker)

Can't a Geewun character just stay dead for once?

kup
24th August 2009, 10:04 PM
I agree with you guys, the Sunstreaker story was rather redundant. By McCarthy standards was rather good given the poor quality of his overall work but it tries so hard to justify Sunstreaker's actions in AHM but still comes short at making it logical and coherent. It really shows how amateurish McCarthy is as a writer.

The Galvatron story was indeed very good and it truly shows that the biggest mistake by IDW so far was giving McCarthy the reins for a 12 issues story. I don't know the writer who did the Galvatron story but it is clear that he did his research on the previous work and the featuring characters in general - picked the best bits and made a short but interesting story that replicates the atmosphere and alure that Furman's previous storyline had while maintaining simplicity and coherence.

This story along with Spotlight Metroplex has given me a bit of hope for the future of this series and IDW would be wise to keep McCarthy's work limited to short character stories - He can write good dialogue and highlight tension between characters as he showed during the 'before Prime's come back' Autobot side of the story in AHM but sucks big time and looses the plot in the overall story.

FFN
1st September 2009, 11:17 PM
I like how McCarthy tries to justify his "Sunstreaker hates all humans" plot development in AHM by abridging and altering the scene from Devastation issue 3 and 4 where Hunter suggests they become a headmaster, and implies that Hunter ignored Sunstreaker's pleas and forced him to do it.

I read everything that had been put out by IDW and there's no disrespect of what Simon's done coming from me. I grew up reading Simon Furman books and still have those big format TF comics in my back room. There's no way I'm going to spit on anything that man's done My arse, mate.

Sky Shadow
2nd September 2009, 09:16 AM
Can't a Geewun character just stay dead for once?

Can't they all die and be replaced by characters from 1987-1992 for once? :)

GoktimusPrime
2nd September 2009, 11:12 AM
1993 G1.5 characters too. We had Clench/Colossus in Megatron: Origins! :)

Why it's almost as if AHM was written by a GeeWunner for GeeWunners. (-_-)

Jhiaxus
9th September 2009, 05:55 AM
So I picked up issue 14. I've read it through. It's really unfortunate.

The Sunstreaker story was... very McCarthy. It's meant to be a tragic retake (rather than really contributing continuity-wise) in Sunstreaker's story. I don't see the point -- he's still alive? Uh, okay.

McCarthy wants the pathos of his characters in pain... it's a theme throughout his TF work, Blurr, Cliffjumper, now this Sunstreaker story. He's just not very good at it.

Then the Galvatron story. Yet another reset-to-G1. How unfortunate. A boring story that was... kinda pointless. It's amazing how little happens in these comics. 11 pages was a *FULL UK ISSUE* back in the day. And they had to have a beginning, middle and an end.

The Galvatron story doesn't even really have any signs of actual story structure. Cyclonus is burning corpses, then Galvatron talks him out of it. That's not a story, that's barely even a vignette.

--Jhiaxus
(I dunno... I'm sorta coming to the end of my chain with IDW comics.)

FFN
11th September 2009, 02:04 AM
Are you the same Jhi that didn't let me make fun of McCarthy on the wiki?

Sky Shadow
11th September 2009, 09:29 AM

I'm sure making fun of Shane McCarthy distracts valuable manpower resources away from making fun of Pat Lee. ;)

GoktimusPrime
11th September 2009, 09:39 AM
Thankfully Pat Lee's no longer working on Transformers.

FFN
11th September 2009, 10:25 PM
Until Hasbro Hong Kong asks him to (badly draw) Movie Prime and Movie Megs again.

I'm sure making fun of Shane McCarthy distracts valuable manpower resources away from making fun of Pat Lee. ;) I put forward that the tfwiki's Pat Lee article is the most extensive article on Lee's dodgy activities, especially since Wikia toned down their version of the article and Wikipedia completely pruned all of the "allegations" from theirs.

In fact, Wikipedia's article only mentions how James McDonaugh and Adam Patyk "claim" they weren't being paid. I find this insulting because a few of my friends were ripped off by Dreamwave as well.

roller
11th September 2009, 11:20 PM
Thankfully Pat Lee's no longer working on Transformers.

Your first name basis suggests you know him outside of here, if that is a correct assumption, could you please tell him and Candice Chan that i want my letters back

ta

Sky Shadow
12th September 2009, 09:35 AM
I put forward that the tfwiki's Pat Lee article is the most extensive article on Lee's dodgy activities, especially since Wikia toned down their version of the article and Wikipedia completely pruned all of the "allegations" from theirs.

In fact, Wikipedia's article only mentions how James McDonaugh and Adam Patyk "claim" they weren't being paid. I find this insulting because a few of my friends were ripped off by Dreamwave as well.

I'm not against making fun of Pat Lee at all. I don't think it can ever be done enough. In fact, I was doing it before it was even popular:

(after reading an interview with Pat Lee on March the 3rd, 2001 at 6:00 pm - one whole year before Dreamwave had even published any Transformers comics):

Yeah, I like the bit where when asked:

"Do you see anything shady in the way that Transformers comics and
cartoons were created in the past, as a vehicle to sell the toys?", Mr. Lee
replies: "Well the cartoon was amazing, it was only a matter
of time before the toys were made."

Surely nobody wants this man to have any power over Transformers
continuity?

Sky Shadow.

Sky Shadow
12th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Here's the preview to #15. Just these first five pages are some of the best Transformers sequential art I've read in years. Nick Roche is a legend - this stuff feels like Furman's old work and gives me the same level of happiness. He's a genius and this is just him cleaning up other people's messes - imagine what he could do if he were given more control of the franchise. Roche should be given free reign over the G1 title. http://www.bzzurkk.com/2009/09/transformers-all-hail-megatron-15-preview/

kup
12th September 2009, 01:11 PM
Here's the preview to #15. Just these first five pages are some of the best Transformers sequential art I've read in years. Nick Roche is a legend - this stuff feels like Furman's old work and gives me the same level of happiness. He's a genius and this is just him cleaning up other people's messes - imagine what he could do if he were given more control of the franchise. Roche should be given free reign over the G1 title. http://www.bzzurkk.com/2009/09/transformers-all-hail-megatron-15-preview/

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!

You are right, its certainly has a refined Marvel UK feel to it. I also love how they are concentrating on character and dialog rather than several flashy but speech bubbleless panels to tell the story. I find that gives much more atmosphere and immersion than just cool but confusing muted art.

*SPOILERS!!*

I am very much looking forward to this but I would like more explanation on how exactly they used the Pretender process to fix Kup - I know this is explained by Prowl in the last panel of the second last page but the Sci-Fi nerd in me wants to know more.

BTW just the concept of having used it to fix Kup is super awesome and clever in its own right.

Jhiaxus
12th September 2009, 06:55 PM

Yes I am. I'm also the same Jhi who wrote this:
http://boltax.deviantart.com/art/Colour-AHM-in-one-Page-111563695

As I remember it, the actual issue I had was with you pretending like Today Tonight were anything like a reliable source for ANYTHING... as opposed to me loving Shane.

--Jhiaxus.

kup
12th September 2009, 07:35 PM
Do you have a part 2?

Lord_Zed
12th September 2009, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure which is better but both that AHM 15 preview and Jhiaxus comic are now competing to be my most favourte AHM comic ever. :D

GoktimusPrime
13th September 2009, 08:22 AM
Wahahaha, that AHM parody was awesome Jhiaxus! :D

I don't think anyone should be made fun of on a wiki. I'm not saying that McCarthy shouldn't be mocked but I don't think a wiki is the appropriate place for it. I prefer wikis to be impartial in tone/presentation.

As I remember it, the actual issue I had was with you pretending like Today Tonight were anything like a reliable source for ANYTHING... as opposed to me loving Shane.
On a Sydney morning radio station last week someone called in and said that he and his partner have recently started having more intellectually stimulating conversations with each other by watching A Current Affair or Today Tonight. The radio hosts all laughed at him, and later on another caller laughed at him too. :p

kup
13th September 2009, 08:56 AM
I can't believe that after all that's happened over the years, A Current Affair and Today Tonight are still taken seriously by a good portion of the populace and continue to enjoy high ratings.

i_amtrunks
13th September 2009, 11:59 AM
Roche's work on Spotlight Kup has always been my favourite single issue, and this continuation of his own work looks like it'll rank as #2.

Fantastic art with a techy, but understandable story, that patches up some gaping holes AHM dealt us...

I'd love to see what Roche could do with his own series, lets hope the Wreckers mini doesnt get ruined in the editing process.

Jhiaxus
13th September 2009, 07:25 PM
Since you guys asked:
http://boltax.deviantart.com/art/All-Hail-Megatron-7-to-12-136866597

--Jhiaxus.

FFN
14th September 2009, 07:50 PM
Superb work, my wiigii friend, I salute you *salutes* :D

Yes I am. I'm also the same Jhi who wrote this:
http://boltax.deviantart.com/art/Colour-AHM-in-one-Page-111563695

--Jhiaxus. Actually I wasn't pretending Today Tonight was reliable for anything, I was more depending on the reports of fans who saw the show. I hate Today Tonight. Since we don't have video of that show anywhere, I would like to know did Shane say it would be about a "world without Autobots" or did TT say that? I have a very hard time believing TT thinks their audience needs to know "This new Transformers comic is about a world where the Autobots, the good robots, aren't around to defend Earth!"

It sounds more like something McCarthy would say, or various aussie fans misreported it.

roller
14th September 2009, 08:43 PM
ACA ??? I watch Frontline

Jhiaxus
20th September 2009, 03:34 PM
Well I picked up All Hail Megatron #15!

It was kinda nice to read a TF comic that took time to read and consider.

I was a bit disappointed -- I'd hyped it up a bit in my head, because I LOVED Spotlight Kup. But the story here... was kinda pointless unless there's a follow-up. Here's hoping that the Wreckers series is that follow-up.

I liked Prowl a lot, and the characterisation... ahhh that was really nice. Each of them being treated as a different character with a different voice. That's ALL I ASK from Transformers. Not much to ask is it? (Okay, I ask for more than that, especially when I get it... but it's a start.)

I love how expressive Nick Roche's art is... but I don't particularly like his compositions or layouts. His pages are confused -- it was, admittedly, a LOT worse in Maximum Dinobots. This was nicely readable, if a bit visually ugly.

The Perceptor story was... fine. Not great, not bad. The art hurt it a bit too -- there was no mood to the art, and no creativity in the angles. This was especially bad in the "Perceptor sharp-shoots Monstructor" panel. If it had been framed from the point of view of the shooter -- so that the blast is the focus of the image instead of MOnstructor himself -- it would have worked a hundred times better. Also scripting to the page was a bit bad too. Way to waste an entire splash page on a reveal of Perceptor... when... uhhh... we already knew what "New" Perceptor looked like from nearly 12 issues of him in All Hail MEgatron already!

Overally, though, Casey Coller does a workman-like job with the art. I especially like the way he draws Transformers' hands. (I like the way Roche draws them too, for that matter.) I just wish he'd be a bit more thoughtful with his framing of scenes. Pull back a bit, show us the environment. Give us a long shot once in a while, Casey. Honestly, that goes for you too Nick Roche. Enough with the medium shots and closeups already. Give us a damned long shot!

Special Mention goes to the lettering. I REALLY noticed it this issue. The Letterer, whoever he was (Chris Mowry) had a style that really, really suited Casey's work... but the exact same bubbles, and fonts used on Nick Roche's work looked really out of place. I really noticed the text as standing out from the artwork more than it should in the Nick story. The script was very word, and that contributed to the problem, but the main thing was that the TOTALLY crisp perfect panels and borders the text didn't blend in as a part of the art -- they stood out from it as intrusive.

Ahhh well.

Overall, I enjoyed the issue a LOT more than my usual All Hail Megatron. If the entire series had been this quality -- honestly the quality of either story -- I'd have a LOT less complaints. I'm going to read it again without the expectations that Spotlight: Kup would put on it... and I do believe I'm gunna enjoy it MUCH more on the second read.

It's been a while since I could say that about a Transformers comic.

--Boltax.
(Oh... the whole explain-the-cigar thing made me cringe. That's one thing about All Hail Megatron that didn't *NEED* explaining. Fortunately, the ACTUAL EXPLANATION was *really* strong and effective and worked with the story AND the continuity, so the cringe didn't last.)

(Cy-gar is a cringe that lasts, though.)

Lord_Zed
20th September 2009, 06:21 PM
Yes I picked this AHM #15 to, after suppsedly giving up on AHM. The preview of the Nick Roche story drew me in.

The first story was just about good enough to justify the purchase (just). the characters had umm character (how wierd). And the large amound of dialouge made this comic feel filling, I could have sworn the whole AHM series was shorter than this one story.

The Preceptor story was decidedly average and filler like, it showed what happened between Spotlight Drift and AHM, but didn't really explain why Perceptor changed. (I got a hole in my chest, so now I wanna shoot stuff!!!! :confused:)

On a side note I'm not really sure I like the idea of the G1 movie crew being the Wreckers now (as has been implied lately), the whole awesome thing about the old Wreckers was that they were made up of a whole bunch of otherwise obscure Transformers, not some of the most popular ones. Wish they'd bring Topspin, Twintwist etc etc back.

Sky Shadow
21st September 2009, 11:07 AM
All Hail Megatron #15:

The Nick Roche Kup story was the best Transformers comic in living memory and the best eleven-page story in twenty years. Brilliant characterisation of Prowl, amazing ideas and it was a more thorough read than most 22-page comics in half the space.

As expected, Denton Tipton's Perceptor story was a festering pile of crap. If I could bring myself to cut off the second half of this comic using scissors, I would, and then I'd flush the pages.

Still, as Meatloaf probably never said, one out of two ain't bad. Particularly when that 'one' is awesome with two sachets of extra sauce.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2009, 06:16 PM
Prowl was cool. :) The "Cy-Gar" thing felt forced, but I suppose Roche felt the need to explain it's otherwise meaningless appearance in previous AHM (yet another writer cleaning up after McCarthy's mess (-_-)); but as Jhiaxus said, it was a pretty good explanation so I was able to accept it. The word itself is indeed cringeworthy though... and I'd imagine that it would be pronounced differently from 'cigar' like maybe "sigh-gar" because previously Spike asked Kup something like "what's with the cigar?" and he replied, "What's a cigar?" -- so in keeping with that I'm imagining that it's pronounced differently. Or so I tell myself so I can sleep better at night. :p

I thought the Perceptor story was okay. Not fantastic but I don't dislike it either, despite being revolving around the "nerd becomes hard-arse commando* to cover deep-rooted insecurity" cliché. :p

*as well as being a _pirate_ with that monocular eyepatch of his. "I just be doin' my job cap'n, Y'ARRR!"

Tommy K
25th September 2009, 07:09 PM
lol ive been looking at the reviews, mainly cause im waiting for the trades

but i love the whole concept of the cygar, or whatever you guys call it, all they need now is a scotch type thing to go with the cygar, then springer can join kup in a cygar and scotch moment on top of balcony lol (boston legal refrence)

SMHFConvoy
25th September 2009, 07:39 PM
I have a question. I only read up to issue 4 of AHM, was Kup portrayed with traits that Prowl had implanted in Kup's mind?

kup
25th September 2009, 09:47 PM
I have a question. I only read up to issue 4 of AHM, was Kup portrayed with traits that Prowl had implanted in Kup's mind?

Supposedly (retroactively speaking) Kup has those implanted subroutines in his head but we don't know if Prowl's subroutines are influencing his actions during AHM 1-12 or not.

Personally, I think that Prowl's subroutines have not been made active as of yet as Kup was not acting 'Prowl like' during AHM issues 1-12. It's possible that given the Autobot's near defeat during AHM, Prowl placed his agenda on hold until the Autobots get an upper hand or simply lost the means to activate them while exiled on Cybertron.

Lord_Zed
25th September 2009, 11:35 PM
Yes its hard to tell because Prowl became a complete wuss in AHM 1-10.

Overall though Kup seemed to display decent leadership skills in AHM, so its hard to say I reckon. At least if Prowls subroutines were working that would explain why Prowl backed down from his command so apparently willingly.

roller
26th September 2009, 12:03 AM
i was very surprised by this issue, it felt lengthy compared to the other IDW tf comics.

Art for Kups story is still that crap cartoony art from Max dinos

I totally inspired the cygar story, last time i spoke to Mr McCarthy i suggested spotlight Kups cigar. Wheres my cut idw?

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2009, 03:20 PM
So we have YOU to blame for that forced "Cy-Gar" device? Remind me to slap you! :p

was Kup portrayed with traits that Prowl had implanted in Kup's mind?
...not that I've noticed. :/

Okay, here's what I still don't quite get... how is Kup a Pretender?

Sky Shadow
26th September 2009, 03:46 PM

I think it's more that his body is a Pretender shell. He's kind of like Thunderwing if you only read the US issues of the Marvel comics: he has a super-powerful, transforming Pretender body even though it's not clear that there's any trace of a smaller robot inside.

kup
26th September 2009, 06:42 PM

As I understood it since it was made clear that there is no 'innerbot' - Kup's spark and brain have been interfaced with his new body in a similar way that the inner bot would interface with a Pretender shell.

So If you break Kup open you will not see an inner bot but his severely damaged positronic brain and spark chamber interfaced with his new body's (shell) electronic brain which compensates for the damage making Kup 'normal' again.

He now has a regular Transformer body but his brain (and spark) is plugged into it using Pretender technology rather than how it would be by conventional means.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2009, 09:39 PM
So basically his "body" is really a Mega Pretender shell with what little they could salvage from Kup housed inside. Man... Kup would freak if say a hole was ever blasted through his chest and he peeked inside to see remnants of his original cerebral cortex strapped inside! They should make a toy of this for Universe but a revamped Brainmaster gimmick (after all we had Universe Cyclonus as a Targetmaster); the small "brain" unit could represent the original Kup with the main body being the "Pretender shell." ;)

He's kind of like Thunderwing if you only read the US issues of the Marvel comics: he has a super-powerful, transforming Pretender body even though it's not clear that there's any trace of a smaller robot inside.
The US comics did reveal Thunderwing's nature as a Pretender with an inner robot during the Matrix Quest. Although we never saw Thunderwing's robot form, he did mention that he was a Pretender and thus had first hand knowledge of the relationship between a Pretender robot and his shell (which he exploited to incapacitate Bumblebee).

kup
26th September 2009, 10:41 PM
The UK comics also briefly showed the inner bot:

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/9e/Thunderwingisapretender.jpg

Sky Shadow
26th September 2009, 11:01 PM
The US comics did reveal Thunderwing's nature as a Pretender with an inner robot during the Matrix Quest. Although we never saw Thunderwing's robot form, he did mention that he was a Pretender and thus had first hand knowledge of the relationship between a Pretender robot and his shell (which he exploited to incapacitate Bumblebee).

The UK comics also briefly showed the inner bot:

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/9e/Thunderwingisapretender.jpg

Yes, I know both those facts thanks guys, that's why I said Kup's "kind of like Thunderwing if you only read the US issues of the Marvel comics". My point was, that if US readers could accept that Thunderwing was a transforming Pretender who never showed an/his inner bot, there's no reason why current IDW readers shouldn't be able to accept that Kup can exist along similar lines.

kup
26th September 2009, 11:26 PM
I understand what you mean but still, Thuderwing was a Pretender with an innerbot in both UK and US even if we never saw it in the former but it was clearly established in dialogue that it exists. Kup on the other hand does not have an inner bot and what makes him a Pretender is not a never to be seen inner bot but a Pretender tech based neural interface that connects his damage 'old' brain to the 'new' one of his body making it 'whole' again.

Yeah with Kup just as Marvel US Thunderwing, we will not get to see an inner bot but the difference here is that Thunderwing was established to have an inner bot and Kup has been established that he doesn't - The 'shell' is his only body so readers should be fine accepting it as he is a regular transformer like any other only that his brain uses pretender tech.

I also have to remember that although the concept is pretty cool, we would likely not hear of it again as its only purpose was to fix McCarthy's continuity mess up. We will see the Prowl side of this subplot but I doubt that we will ever hear of the Pretender concept again as it has already served its purpose to explain Kup's miraculous recovery :)

GoktimusPrime
27th September 2009, 09:03 PM
I think that Kup as a Mega-Pretender could've been better explained in the comic cos I was kinda confused by it. I don't have a problem with the concept of Kup being a Mega Pretender without a shown inner robot... but I think I would've benefitted if that were more explicitly explained.

Thunderwing didn't need as much exposition because the character was based on a pre-existing Mega Pretender toy meaning that the target audience (i.e.: people with a keen interest in Transformers) would be aware that Thunderwing is a Mega Pretender. After all, the G1 comics did fundamentally exist to promote the toys for Hasbro.

I hope that this is further clarified later down the track.

FFN
29th September 2009, 08:10 PM
Interesting - the text on one of All Hail Megatron issue 15's Perceptor covers was copy-pasted from the TF Wiki's G1 Perceptor article.

Tommy K
29th September 2009, 08:39 PM
picked up the vol 2 of all hail today
WOW!

anyhoo i understand that this is only for 13-16 but i feel more people will read my things here so whatever.

ok so i overall enjoyed it, it almost feels like a summer blockbuster, but this is comming from a 18/early adult/testosterone(dontknowhow to spell itlmao)/zomg i love explosions man.

reading through it i went through all kinds of emotions lol. like when mirages gets beaten up by ironhide(heart destroying) to the point where sunstreaker tells his tale(shock but it was leading to it kind of obviousish) then to the frightful zombiesk swarm attack(not scary just omg run like hell frightful) and all the other emotions as optimus, omega blah blah blah, i dont need to go into details im not like the reviewers on youtube lol.

anyway after reading the whole story i believe the story all up was slow at the start but from vol2 onwards it skyrockets in awesomeness, but yeah, i dont want to say anything unjust or whatever, but this is what i believe transformers 2 should have been like, or tf3 will be like.

but yeah, i hope i did spoil too much lmao

kup
29th September 2009, 09:41 PM
picked up the vol 2 of all hail today
WOW!

anyhoo i understand that this is only for 13-16 but i feel more people will read my things here so whatever.

ok so i overall enjoyed it, it almost feels like a summer blockbuster, but this is comming from a 18/early adult/testosterone(dontknowhow to spell itlmao)/zomg i love explosions man.

reading through it i went through all kinds of emotions lol. like when mirages gets beaten up by ironhide(heart destroying) to the point where sunstreaker tells his tale(shock but it was leading to it kind of obviousish) then to the frightful zombiesk swarm attack(not scary just omg run like hell frightful) and all the other emotions as optimus, omega blah blah blah, i dont need to go into details im not like the reviewers on youtube lol.

anyway after reading the whole story i believe the story all up was slow at the start but from vol2 onwards it skyrockets in awesomeness, but yeah, i dont want to say anything unjust or whatever, but this is what i believe transformers 2 should have been like, or tf3 will be like.

but yeah, i hope i did spoil too much lmao

I get the pitchforks, someone else get the torches :p

GoktimusPrime
30th September 2009, 11:02 AM
anyhoo i understand that this is only for 13-16
It is? That's news to me. Even if it is, it doesn't excuse its suckage. After all, the G1 and G2 comics were originally written for kids and they (generally) didn't suck quite as hard as AHM. For one thing they used a wider range and variety of characters other than just 1984-86!! (characters like Bludgeon and Thunderwing became stuff of legend because of the G1 comics - comics that I read and loved when I was a schoolboy)

Sky Shadow
30th September 2009, 11:14 AM

It is? That's news to me. Even if it is, it doesn't excuse its suckage. After all, the G1 and G2 comics were originally written for kids and they (generally) didn't suck quite as hard as AHM.

Kuzzy meant that this thread is only for issues 13 to 16, not that the comics are meant for ages 13 to 16.

Tommy K
30th September 2009, 04:40 PM
Kuzzy meant that this thread is only for issues 13 to 16, not that the comics are meant for ages 13 to 16.

thank you sky shadow, maybe i should reword things better in the future lol

Sky Shadow
4th October 2009, 12:16 PM
Um... I don't know exactly what this is, but I think it's making fun of Drift (so yay!):

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/257/f/5/Not_a_Mosaic_by_stripedwine.jpg

(It's from this Deviantart page: http://stripedwine.deviantart.com/)

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2009, 12:29 PM
BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious! :D
I love how Drift speaks and thinks in Japlish/Engrish and the art is done in a hyperbolised manga style. Aaaah... <wipes.tear.from.eye>

"weapabilities"

TEE HEE! :D

i_amtrunks
20th October 2009, 01:39 PM
Got #15 and #16 delivered today.

#15 was 50% fantastic, and 50% boring, and funnily it split right in the middle of the comic! The Prowl/Kup story was the best we have had in years, and I hope that we get to see this story influence the ongoing and mini series, as it is a big powerplay Prowl has get going.
But like all the cool and interesting plots and ideas that have been introduced in the IDW run, I bet it gets forgotten or retconned out of existence. :rolleyes:

After the great Roche story came a dull boring story that did nothing in 11 pages.

And #16 was the issue that deserved to end AHM, the series goes out with a comic with messy art and a large focus on terribly written, boring fleshbags, just like the majority of the series. I would recommend those 2-3 people who still buy AHM to skip #16, as you do not miss anything.

And so now to wait for the next two mini series. After what Roche did with Kup and Prowl, I cannot wait for his Wreckers mini, and I'll grab the Bumblebee mini, but remain weary.

From what I have seen and heard about the direction for the ongoing (Spike to be a main player) it can go to hell. (but as I am weak, I'll probably get the trades... :rolleyes:)

Bartrim
29th October 2009, 03:49 PM
. (but as I am weak, I'll probably get the trades... :rolleyes:)

At least the trades look good when they are all sitting together on the bookshelf:p

Bartrim
4th February 2010, 11:20 AM
Just finished reading the AHM Coda TPB and I pretty much agree with everyone else. The Prowl/Springer/Kup story was the best by far. I liked the pretender and cy-gar (although I detest the word) explaination. I also didn't mind the Perceptor story. I could relate to it a little bit and it explained why Perceptor became "another clown with a gun". But that whole super stud Spike in hospital with the sexy nurses... Puh-lease. Did Michael Bay write that because that was the vibe I got from it.

Overall not a fantastic TPB saved only by the Kup/Perceptor stories.

Oilspill
24th February 2010, 01:52 AM
I completely agree with Kuzzy, AHM part 2 was a rollicking good read. It made up for a lot of the slowness in AHM part 1 (and continuity breakage).

Yeah, that's right, I liked it. Bring on the pitchforks and torches haters :P hehe

Anyway, on topic - Coda was mostly an enjoyable read. A few boring stories in there (Spike, I'm talking 'bout you) but a few good ones too.

My biggest dislike is probably the Starscream story. The continuity got screwed in a very uncomfortable place in AHM, and the Coda was meant to be the bandaid to fix that -- but then Starscream's personality goes a complete 180 after the character development (that's right, character development in a Shane McCarthy story) he got at the end of AHM2!

It really shits me that there's another massive continuity error in the series that was meant to be fixing the previous continuity errors. On top of that, he's back to wanting to kill Megs, who is hooked up on life support - an easy target if every there was one, and he gives up because Soundwave says "no".
FFS that is weak-sauce right there.

However, the retconning was done astoundingly well in a few of the stories such as Nick Roche's Kup/Prowl story and the Perceptor story did the job satisfyingly enough too, though I preferred Perceptor's extensive vocabulary as displayed in Roche's work. I loved the splash page that Perceptor was given, one of my favourite pages in the whole Coda as far as art goes.

The Ironhide/Prime story I think was a good idea, given what was about to happen in the ongoing. Plus I always liked the dynamic between those two characters, which I don't think has been done justice in previous IDW offerings, so I was happy to read that. Yeah, Don's new art style sucks, but what can you do, hopefully it will change eventually.

The Galvatron and Crew story was very cool to see how they worked in some aspects of the characters that the sunbow cartoons + TFTM established back in the day. It's cool to see Galvatron a little insane (but not annoyingly "I punch out my own troops more often than Autobots" crazy like in season 3), and very nice to get Scourge and his Sweeps - even if how they get created is a bit vague.

I'm not going to rave about Nick Roche's work because everyone already knows how awesome it is :)

Overall, Coda was a pretty good read, it gets a solid B from me.