PDA

View Full Version : CRASH and BURN XBOX 360

1orion2many
20th February 2008, 10:55 PM
:(Well I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but my XBOX 360 has crashed, I looked it up on the internet and it is supposedly a common problem. My machine has frozen up and has three red lights showing up around the on button. I'm going to see if i can contact microsoft Australia to see what they have to say about the problem. There is supposedly a simple solution but it cost about $25-$35 U.S to get a book and DVD to run you through the solution. Anyone else with this problem:confused:.

G1Optimal
21st February 2008, 06:13 AM
Ring Microsoft.....
I Think in particular the Customer Support Number.:confused:

springah
21st February 2008, 09:38 AM
Yep, thats the RROD (red rings of death).

Call MS customer support in AUS ASAP to get a replacement. Anything else will prolly be a waste of time.

Saintly
21st February 2008, 09:56 AM
that RROD can apparently be caused intentionally... I've seen a couple of kids doing it to the xbox360 in TRU stores!

springah
21st February 2008, 10:12 AM
Haha sort of. Either play with the video port on the back until the rings turn red, or wait until the machine overheats in the plastic bubble they keep it in at TRU :)

1orion2many
21st February 2008, 01:00 PM
:(I sent an email off and also gave them a ring today, they have asked me to try a couple of things when I get home and then ring them back with the results and the serial code of my machine:(.

springah
21st February 2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, get the serial, call them up and say its broke. Pretend like you tested it and it hasn't worked. They ask to retest over and over because it usually will start working.

Then it breaks.. haha, so just say its had it and you need a new one.

As much as i like the 360 compared to the PS3, the actual machine is a POS.

1orion2many
21st February 2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, get the serial, call them up and say its broke. Pretend like you tested it and it hasn't worked. They ask to retest over and over because it usually will start working.

Then it breaks.. haha, so just say its had it and you need a new one.

As much as i like the 360 compared to the PS3, the actual machine is a POS.

From what I've read it was mainly the first production run, they took a lot of short cuts to get it on the shelves in a hurry, the later runs are supposedly of better quality. I prefer the Xbox 360 over the PS3 but when things like this happen I really start taking a closer look at the Sony machine.:(

springah
21st February 2008, 02:13 PM
From what I've read it was mainly the first production run, they took a lot of short cuts to get it on the shelves in a hurry, the later runs are supposedly of better quality. I prefer the Xbox 360 over the PS3 but when things like this happen I really start taking a closer look at the Sony machine.:(

That's what we all thought too. Until the 360 Elites started getting the same problem :(

Its apparently a design flaw that causes "solder creep" when the machine gets too hot. I'm lucky mine still works, but it'll die eventually.

Until the Sony machine comes out with some good games to match the 360, its all meh to me (MGS and Final Fantasy isn't worth the system, imo).

1orion2many
23rd February 2008, 01:26 AM
:confused:Well it's sort of good bad news on the 360 front. The Microsoft helpline after talking to me believed that my powerpack was cactus, I borrowed my sons power pack and lo and behold my 360 started working again:). Now of course the bad news, they don't sell the power supplys as a seperate entity so there is 3 things I can do. 1: send it into Microsoft to repair but this will of course cost money as I'm out of warranty by 2 months.
2: buy one of ebay for what seems to be around $80.00(I take it I couldn't buy one from Europe as they run on a different power supply to us:confused:). 3: Get my oldest daughter to look at it as she is a qualified electrician. Guess which one I'm going with to start with:D.

springah
23rd February 2008, 08:18 AM
Haha, why even consider options 1 and 2 then? :)

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2008, 09:07 AM
I take it I couldn't buy one from Europe as they run on a different power supply to us
depends on the voltage. We use 240V. Some countries use 110V in which case you'll need a transformer. Around last xmas I was looking at the prices of step down transformers at Dick Smith and they look pretty expensive. :(

Anyone know of any cheap step down transformer brands?

springah
23rd February 2008, 10:07 AM
Anyone know of any cheap step down transformer brands?

www.jaycar.com.au

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2008, 10:23 AM
what's the difference between an isolated and non-isolated transformer?

springah
23rd February 2008, 10:27 AM
what's the difference between an isolated and non-isolated transformer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_transformer

Internet has heaps of info..