PDA

View Full Version : Tales of The Fallen

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2009, 09:40 PM
SPOILERS AHEAD

#1: Bumblebee

Mowry's writing was adequate. I enjoy these kinds of expanded universe stories which help flesh in existing movie-continuity; in this case further highlighting Bumblebee's reunion with Sam, how that effects Sam and his relationship/interactions with others (e.g.: parents, friends, rivals etc.), and it was cool seeing Barricade back in action... though I was disappointed to see Barricade driving out of that explosion - I was hoping they'd kinda leave an ambiguous fate for Barricade at the end, which would help to explain why we never saw him in "Revenge of the Fallen."

Mowry's humour is preferable to Michael Bay's. e.g.: Bumblebee running through red light cameras (thus effecting Sam's driving licence & record), the woman in the other car totally freaking out at Sam because she sees him "driving" with his hands behind his head (reminding Sam that he has to keep at least one hand on the steering wheel to maintain the illusion that he is driving Bumblebee!) etc. Funnier than Jetfire farting parachutes or Wheelie humping Mikaela's leg any day IMHO.

Carlos Magno's art... I'm not a huge fan of. His humans sometimes look too similar; at times I had trouble distinguishing between Sam and Ron Witwicky - but my main gripe was with the way he drew action scenes. His action poses aren't terribly dynamic and his sense of cinematic choreography fails to excite me. Often one panel doesn't seem to 'connect' to what's happening in the next panel with a sense of "visual logic." Magno's art is otherwise not bad and he seems to have the potential to be a decent comic book artist. Perhaps Magno would benefit from having a closer look at Geoff Senior's G1 and G2 art for a better idea of how to 'animate' action scenes in comic books.

GoktimusPrime
7th November 2009, 08:20 AM
...isn't anyone else collecting this series? :/

I'm enjoying it. And I like how they're now helping to enrich the ROTF story and answer certain questions that the movie didn't address such as:
+ Justifying why NEST hunted Demolishor with such fervour
+ Further look into Sideswipe's character
+ What happened to the Autobots after losing Cybertron
+ Why Jetfire is so "old" and crochety; I thought this was a clever explanation for a rather difficult concept that I don't think Michael Bay originally put that much thought into.

griffin
7th November 2009, 11:36 AM
I only collect the compilations now, so have to wait several months after a series starts to be able to read it (and by then, it's too old to bother commenting on).
But I think most others have just lost interest in IDW and the movie-verse, so a combination of both probably doesn't have much appeal.

Autocon
8th November 2009, 01:07 AM
i have up to number three, have more issues been released in Aus?

im reading it to make more sense of the film which it does thankfully:D how many issues will it be altogether?

griffin
8th November 2009, 10:38 AM
Six.

Gutsman Heavy
9th November 2009, 01:07 AM
very disappointing so far, they are like spotlights with muddy art and uninteresting stories

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2010, 03:55 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the Arcee issue! It's exceeded my expectations.

Spoilers

It was neat to see the story explain how Arcee made the transition from her TF1 form to her ROTF form. I also like how it explains how Arcee is really one character but split among three components. Yet the three components are characters amongst themselves, displaying some degree of autonomy (as demonstrated when the Arcee component felt the need to go back and assist the Chromia and Elita-1 components)... kinda reminds me of G1 Optimus Prime with his three components; only it seems that the core consciousness/spark is evenly divided between the three components (whereas with Optimus Prime it rested with the main "Prime" (cab/robot) unit -- Prime can survive without Roller and Combat Deck, but the others cannot survive without Prime; although Prime can dump his core consciousness).