PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne people, I need your help!

Trailer Park Ninja
19th August 2009, 06:44 PM
I am contemplating going for a transfer for a job in Melbourne. I am throwing my hat in but wanted some advice about living down in Melbourne.

The job will be in the CBD but I'm trying to work out where I can afford to live and where to buy/rent. I don't mind travelling in to work (the transport system seems to be waaayyy better here than Sydney) but I'm looking for suggestions on suburbs that are decent to live in.

That is, safe, accessible to transport, clean, cosmopolitan etc. Looking at the real estate websites, it just seems Melbourne CBD is full of serviced apartments.

I would welcome serious suggestions as to what suburbs are desirable to live in from personal experience so I can go away and do some research.

Many thanks to guys who can give me somewhere to start.

Dylbot
19th August 2009, 07:16 PM
I live in Wantirna South, which in in the South-Eastern area of Melbourne, which is about a 1 hour bus+train ride to the city. In my opinion Wantirna South and the surrounding suburbs are pretty good, and ringwood and glen waverley have train lines.

jaydisc
19th August 2009, 09:52 PM
What kind of lifestyle you lookin' for? :D

Paulbot
19th August 2009, 09:57 PM
Rental market is pretty tight. The buying market is expensive in the inner city.

There's not much in the CBD. I like the east, southeast and inner north suburbs which is where I am currently looking to buy.

Depending on how long you're willing to travel for work might make a difference too. You could be facing a 30-45 minute commute depending on where you live if you're not close to the city.

Most suburbs are safe, Melb CBD seems to have the worst violence at the moment and inner West has a bad reputation, but then so does my suburb in the outer southeast.

TheDirtyDigger
19th August 2009, 10:01 PM
Stay away from the west and the north. Everywhere else is fine.

k.wong23
20th August 2009, 11:08 AM
The west is cheaper, but the west is like paramatta but 15-20 minute train ride into the city from inner west :)

I'd look for areas like Box Hill, Ringwood and like others said Glen Waverly isn't too far. Maybe even Mckinnon near Bentleigh

Trailer Park Ninja
20th August 2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys for your suggestions

Golden Phoenix
20th August 2009, 10:19 PM
I'd look for areas like Box Hill

Box hill is good. Balwyn is better if you are willing to pay for it. It can be expensive.
The pay off is that is safe with lots of public transport. Your also closer to me, and that is a priceless thing

jaydisc
21st August 2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry folks, but every recommendation here is Lame City. Again, I ask what kind of lifestyle you're looking for, because this might be what you want? Do you have a family/dog, want a yard, or do you wanna live somewhere with lifestyle??

Examples:

* If you like something a bit grundgy like Newtown, then you want Fitzroy [North], Northcote and surrounds (Inner North)
* If you want something a bit more Bohemian, beachside, outdoor cafes and bars, go with the area they call Bayside, which is St. Kilda, Elwood, Albert Park (Inner South)
* You want shopping & pretty people, go South Yarra, Prahran or Richmond.

TheDirtyDigger
21st August 2009, 12:48 PM
Good points Jd...

- If you want fully sick mate eastern Mediterranean go Dandenong and it's immediate surrounds.

- If you enjoy low class, feral, Caucasian boganista go Frankston North or Central.

- If you prefer the company of bottom of the barrel junkies and late night prostitution then certain parts of St. Kilda are ideal.

- Open homsexuality your thing? Get as close to Commercial Rd, Prahran as possible.

Hope this helps! :)

Paulbot
21st August 2009, 01:10 PM
The more important thing than lifestyle is price and preference to buy/rent. All of Jaydisc's suggestions are expensive, many of Digger's suggestions are cheap (both because of the reasons they mention).

Trailer Park Ninja
21st August 2009, 01:29 PM
I prefer living in a unit, close to regional shopping centres, transport, cafes with a diverse ethnic base.

Basically somewhere I can make it from work to home without getting shot, stabbed, mugged or panhandlers asking me for change every block on the way home. Rent would have to $800 fortnight tops.

Thanks for your input DD and Jaydisc :D

jaydisc
21st August 2009, 01:49 PM
Basically somewhere I can make it from work to home without getting shot, stabbed, mugged or panhandlers asking me for change every block on the way home. Rent would have to $800 fortnight tops.

Ha ha. You'll leave all that behind in Sydney :p , especially with a budget of $800 per fortnight, aka $400 per week. I pay $410 for a 3 bedroom house one suburb further from Northcote. If it's just you, and you want a flat with less bedrooms, you can live nearly anywhere. So, pick a lifestyle ;)