PDA

View Full Version : Botcon 08 Jazz & Grimlock

Pulse
22nd February 2008, 11:41 AM
http://botcon.com/Botcon08/08figures.cfm

Honestly, they both look like garbage. G1-style movie Jazz is much better as a homage & the Trypticon-ish Grimmy = Urgh!!!

kup
22nd February 2008, 11:41 AM
Jazz: Not bad, he looks good although his body shape is a bit ackward and kibblely due to Crosswise mold. Overall I like it.

Grimlock: He is just Classics Grimlock in Trypticon colors. Its not bad but a bit on the uninspired like Evil Prime's colors. Overall its just ok.

Although this year's Botcon figures does have a unique and interesting concept, its lacking in the appeal of the figures so far. The real stand out is Goldbug and to a lesser degree, Jazz but the rest are on the 'meh' side of things.

http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12470&
________
NO2 REVIEW (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/no2/)

kup
22nd February 2008, 11:42 AM
You just beat me to it!

Mods, please delete or merge my other thread.
________
Milf movie (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/28/milf/videos/1)

Pulse
22nd February 2008, 11:43 AM
jinx :)

We posted at exactly the same time, but because Kup comes before Pulse in alphabetical order, yours went first.

Pulse
22nd February 2008, 11:45 AM
Mods, you know what to do ;)

Paulbot
22nd February 2008, 11:54 AM
Already on it! :)

I like Jazz. Grimlock not so much.

i_amtrunks
22nd February 2008, 01:42 PM
Meh for Grimmy, its a nice homage and all, and looks alright, but it is a bit...boring.

Jazz looks fine, but most Jazz figures do, and this one really only looks like an "updated" Jazz, not one from a universe where the Autobots are evil.

turtle boy
22nd February 2008, 01:57 PM
I think its cleat to say that i'm not feeling these figures, I'll still try and get my hands on them, only cause they will complete the Classics. And thats what i'm trying to accomplish with one part of my collection.

sifun
22nd February 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm the opposite to you guys, I actually like grimlock's colour scheme.
far from that other purple proto grimlock from the asian boards from ages ago.

Jazz looks very disproportionate, due to using crosswise mold. I think this is more uninspiring than grimlock.

STL
22nd February 2008, 02:25 PM
*cough* joke *cough*

I'm glad I'm only grabbing a loose set this year. I really am. I can't believe how terrible half of these are. Grimlock is so unimaginative. Yes, I knew the mould would be used but no, I didn't realise that the choice of colours was so lame.

Jazz I really dig. Heaps. If he doesn't get a Classics 2.0 figure, I may just convert that Decepticon sticker into an Autobot one.

Paulbot
22nd February 2008, 02:30 PM
Jazz is in the Animated range so no Classics 2.0 version.

STL
22nd February 2008, 02:31 PM
Jazz is in the Animated range so no Classics 2.0 version.

Didn't they say that wasn't necessarily true anymore a month back? I think that's why we ended up with a Prowl. I dunno, I kind of expected that all the movie characters would get Classics incarnations.

Paulbot
22nd February 2008, 03:52 PM
I thought it was still confirmed that two toys with same transform modes and names are not on.
OK: Animated Prowl is a motorbike. Classics 2.0 Prowl is police car
Not OK: Animated Jazz is a white sports car. Classics 2.0 Jazz as a white sports car

Saintly
22nd February 2008, 04:29 PM
jazz i like, grimlock i no like :P

they hardly did anything to grimlock besides a repaint!

sifun
22nd February 2008, 04:39 PM
Why aren't they using animated or even movie molds for botcon? They've used classics already last year!!

Paulbot
22nd February 2008, 10:26 PM
The classics toys are too new (well not even released yet) and the movie toys are tied into licensing rights with the car (& etc) companies so they can't be reused.

griffin
23rd February 2008, 03:10 AM
The movie moulds are apparently never to be used again after the movie line is over (but Hasbro change their mind all the time).

Jazz is way too much like his Gen1 colours, which goes against the whole theme of this set. As ugly as Optimus (and to a lesser extent Bumblebee and Grimlock), the new colour schemes are the whole point of this set. As much as Crosswise looks good in Gen1 Jazz colours, it should have been released some other way and this BotCon figure should have new colours.

I guess I'm the only one actually disliking Jazz, because it doesn't fit with this year's themed set. I'd like it as a stand alone toy, called 'Autobot Jazz', but not as part of a mirror universe evil team of Autobots.
Taking on that perspective of the theme, the other toys are not too bad. It just takes a bit to get past looking at each figure as an individual toy, and look at the set, and how well they fit the theme.
As such, I like the way Grimlock just looks demonically evil.

Soundwarp
23rd February 2008, 09:33 AM
I like Jazz's Alt mode but the bot isn't my thing.
Grimlock is very "Meh"

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2008, 10:02 AM
Well said. This entire set screams of "meh" to me.

Thanatos
23rd February 2008, 12:24 PM
I think Jazz really works in the Crosswise mould tbh. I think I'll try and hunt down a loose Jazz and reprolabels him into Autobot Jazz with soem good old fashioned stickers :P.

Also Trypticon colours really work as "Evil" Grimlock. Still, as far as a set full or more Classics repaints... blargh. At least Dawn of Future's Past was relatively creative (figures/moulds we've had before but with completely new characters and heads and such), and The Games of Deception set filled out what should have been sold at retail seekers.

This adds nothing to me :P

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2008, 02:02 PM
I don't think anyone's saying that these colours don't work - they work. But they're not terribly astounding either.

Meh-blargh factor 7.

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd February 2008, 06:02 PM
Yar, a little disappointing on the Jazz front there. I like the nice head, but having "Kill to win" as the only major difference between a good Jazz and a bad Jazz is a little weak.....

Grimlock would have bee good if they had whipped out a bit of that scratching effect they used on Prime. To make him look real hard core. Maybe they want to channel a bit of BW Megatron with the purple.

Prime was OK, Goldbug is very cool, Grimbo meh and Jazz meh.

I just hope Starscream is awesome. Other wise its all a bit 別に

kup
23rd February 2008, 07:47 PM
??
I second that.
________
Elysion (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Elysion)