PDA

View Full Version : Stores selling Transformers in Japan

Jetfire
20th August 2009, 09:29 PM
Hey there,

I just found out today that I'm travelling to Japan next weekend for 2 weeks in Chiyoda for work :)

Can anyone recommend some TF shops in Tokyo ? :cool:

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2009, 10:25 PM
I'd personally recommend checking out Ikebukuro. There are two big department stores (Seibu and Tobu) sitting right on top of Ikebukuro station! And if that's not enough there are other stores like Bic Camera which have been known to stock Transformers at fairly cheap prices.

A lot of people who also recommend Akihabara, although personally the only transformer I've ever bought from there was a step-down transformer. :p I find Akihabara a bit too "touristy" for my taste; although I suppose it is good from a tourist POV as a lot of people who work there can speak foreign languages like English. Don't expect most people in Japan to speak any English btw. A lot of people in Japan would like to _think_ that they can speak English... and they will often _try_ ("try" being the operative word) to speak English with Westerners. But usually they end up butchering the English language and ultimately you don't understand what the <expletive> they're trying to tell you. So I strongly recommend that you learn at least some basic Japanese phrases that will help you get around for shopping, dining etc.; you could probably pick up a phrase book or something. If there's anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask Tetsuwan Convoy. Or me. :p

Seriously though, there's a thread for discussion about languages other than English here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2648) - please feel free to ask us any questions about Japanese there. :)

Jetfire
20th August 2009, 10:41 PM
I'd personally recommend checking out Ikebukuro. There are two big department stores (Seibu and Tobu) sitting right on top of Ikebukuro station! And if that's not enough there are other stores like Bic Camera which have been known to stock Transformers at fairly cheap prices.

A lot of people who also recommend Akihabara, although personally the only transformer I've ever bought from there was a step-down transformer. :p I find Akihabara a bit too "touristy" for my taste; although I suppose it is good from a tourist POV as a lot of people who work there can speak foreign languages like English. Don't expect most people in Japan to speak any English btw. A lot of people in Japan would like to _think_ that they can speak English... and they will often _try_ ("try" being the operative word) to speak English with Westerners. But usually they end up butchering the English language and ultimately you don't understand what the <expletive> they're trying to tell you. So I strongly recommend that you learn at least some basic Japanese phrases that will help you get around for shopping, dining etc.; you could probably pick up a phrase book or something. If there's anything you need to know, don't hesitate to ask Tetsuwan Convoy. Or me. :p

Seriously though, there's a thread for discussion about languages other than English here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2648) - please feel free to ask us any questions about Japanese there. :)

Hey thanks for a great response. I'll check out Ikebukuro.. So far I've just downloaded every free japanese language app for the iPhone to get started. Mushi mush

Cheers,
Jetfire san

kaiden
21st August 2009, 02:05 AM
gah im so jealous! i want to go to the sales there ;-;

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st August 2009, 02:36 AM
Mushi mush

Cheers,
Jetfire san

Err, Mushi means bug. Phone is moshi moshi.;)

By Far handy words
"Sumimasen" - Excuse me/sorry/thanks.
"arigatou" - Thanks
"doumo" - also thanks.

Bic camera or Yodabashi Camera are regular dept stores that wont lead you astray. They are almost everywhere and as gok said, have cheap prices. Sometimes they have mega=price-offs and you can get stuff t 1/3 original price!! Toys R us in Japan is pretty good too! I found some older stuff there nice and cheap. Although I notice they are shifting away from the action figure sort of market and going for the really young kiddies so they don't have as much cool stuffas they did a few years ago.

If you make it to Harajuku, Kiddie Land is 5 small floors of toy-joy(tm). Its a bit tricky to find in between all the people, but if you head down the main street and see a Condomania shop (I think thats the name, but if it isn't, its a bright coloured place that sells condoms) and have a look around there, as Kiddie Land is in that area.

I was in Japan last month for the tokyo toy fair (which reminds me I wanna share my pics) and most TFs were the occasional Encore, some random Henkei and Movie characters.

P.S If you wann send me a PS3 Slim while yer there, I would love you long time;)

I am serious about the PS3

kaiden
21st August 2009, 04:56 AM
oh! if its time to ask the -insert random guy- going to japan game to buy stuff for us... fill my henkei wants? XD

i'd be happy with the ones that i cant order on robotkingdom ^_^

Jetfire
21st August 2009, 10:22 AM
Sorry guys news just in.. I won't be picking up stuff for people on the forums.

Especially something like a PS3 lol.. only my wife is allowed to love me for any length of time.

Gutsman Heavy
21st August 2009, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't recommend getting a PS3 from Japan anyway, has built in censorship, boo! play any copy of Resistance (US/AUS/JAP) on a JAP PS3 and it'll censor that game, no gooey head shots for you!

Jetfire
4th September 2009, 09:52 PM
Hey there,

Anyway I'm here (or there)...

Planning a trip into Tokyo tomorrow.. currently I'm looking out onto the Yokohama port harbour

I found a cool store in Yokohama, Yodobashi which has a whole floor of toys and figures..

I also found the ROTF Devastator in Singapore but the ticket price was pretty high... over $200AU and the box is huge.. I'll pass I think

Wheel-J
4th September 2009, 10:38 PM
Have you visited Toys R'Us at Jack Mall? That mall is a small commercial complex located at the back of Queen's Square at Minato Mirai in Yokohama. If you don't pass via the Minato Mirai Line, most likely you can take the Sakuragicho station. Been there 4 years ago so my info may not be that accurate so be warned. :rolleyes:

Btw, you gotta love autumn in japan! :D

kurdt_the_goat
4th September 2009, 11:30 PM
Try this link if you go past Akihabara (http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112508988443227355345.0004676aa7da81bfd3452&ll=35.700579,139.771178&spn=0.001076,0.002221&z=19), and i recommend you do!

Most figure/hobby stores have at least a few TFs, but the best ones to visit are:
Yodobashi Camera.. i think it was 6th floor; Movie TF's, Encore's and Henkei.
Radio Kaikan.. this is a building housing heaps of smaller stores on different levels; all together, you could probably find most recent Japanese TF's and a few older ones.
Liberty Store #7.. must-visit store, 1st floor has got about 6 glass cabinets of TF's, mostly used, from all era's and a giant 1.5m Optimus statue!
Mandarake... ABSOLUTE must have if you're into G1, 2 full rows of glass cabinets, TF's from all era's, about 50% of it is Japanese G1. Make sure your wallet is prepared, though just seeing it is fun itself :) It's on the top floor, but only the right hand elevator gets to the top floor!

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th September 2009, 03:27 AM
Have you visited Toys R'Us at Jack Mall? That mall is a small commercial complex located at the back of Queen's Square at Minato Mirai in Yokohama. If you don't pass via the Minato Mirai Line, most likely you can take the Sakuragicho station. Been there 4 years ago so my info may not be that accurate so be warned. :rolleyes:

Its still there. Was having a look when I was over. Not much TF goodies though. To get there, get off JR lines at Sakuragicho. Head for Lndmark tower. Ride the long long flat escalator thing to the tower (passing the "ship") and enter Landmark tower. Head right and exit building. In between Landmark tower and the Queens tower is a metal sculpture that looks like a roller coaster, (facing away from Landmark) head left and walk about 10 min. Over the bridge, past the gallery with the fountains out the front and across the road. There is another bunch of shops. Toys R Us is down the end on the left. 2nd floor.

Sorry guys news just in.. I won't be picking up stuff for people on the forums.

Especially something like a PS3 lol.. only my wife is allowed to love me for any length of time.
Dang and Dang. Just thought I would try ;)

Hey there,

Anyway I'm here (or there)...

Planning a trip into Tokyo tomorrow.. currently I'm looking out onto the Yokohama port harbour

I found a cool store in Yokohama, Yodobashi which has a whole floor of toys and figures..

I also found the ROTF Devastator in Singapore but the ticket price was pretty high... over $200AU and the box is huge.. I'll pass I think
Yodabashi is pretty good. In the building that is over the Yokohama train station, there is a little toy store on the ground floor that has some good stuff.

Hope your having fun

Wheel-J
5th September 2009, 08:02 AM
Very detailed instruction there Tets! I won't get lost for that! :)
That brings me back down to ol memory lane. I remember the jampacked JR lines everytime I go to work. The minato mirai ship is on the right as you walk through the walkalators. And the gallery which I presume is the maritime museum towards the mall will be on the left side.

And there might be a chance you'll find a small flea market near the ship during Saturdays. It's pretty much like an outdoor op shop. So don't expect too much TFs. But you'll never know, it's like finding a Fort Max on an op shop. :D Though sometimes they change venue, if they're not there, you may prolly find them near one of the park (forgot the name) if you walk to kanai from sakuragicho.

Gambatte! :D

Jetfire
5th September 2009, 08:39 AM

No but thanks for the heads up, I'm in the Intercontinental Hotel which is next to the Queen's Square, and I've covered every floor of that. Didn't know about Jack Mall and TRU, I'll have to check it out .. thanks again

It is very humid here :p

Jetfire
5th September 2009, 08:42 AM
Its still there. Was having a look when I was over. Not much TF goodies though. To get there, get off JR lines at Sakuragicho. Head for Lndmark tower. Ride the long long flat escalator thing to the tower (passing the "ship") and enter Landmark tower. Head right and exit building. In between Landmark tower and the Queens tower is a metal sculpture that looks like a roller coaster, (facing away from Landmark) head left and walk about 10 min. Over the bridge, past the gallery with the fountains out the front and across the road. There is another bunch of shops. Toys R Us is down the end on the left. 2nd floor.

Dang and Dang. Just thought I would try ;)

Yodabashi is pretty good. In the building that is over the Yokohama train station, there is a little toy store on the ground floor that has some good stuff.

Hope your having fun

Thanks for help guys.. I've got a HD vid camera with me so I'll post up vids sometime when I get back

Wheel-J
5th September 2009, 08:42 AM
No but thanks for the heads up, I'm in the Intercontinental Hotel which is next to the Queen's Square, and I've covered every floor of that. Didn't know about Jack Mall and TRU, I'll have to check it out .. thanks again

It is very humid here :p

Ahh.. the sliced watermelon hotel. :)

And don't forget to claim your yodobashi points on your next purchase. You may get a free or discounted stuffs for that one. ;)

Jetfire
5th September 2009, 08:45 AM
Ahh.. the sliced watermelon hotel. :)

And don't forget to claim your yodobashi points on your next purchase. You may get a free or discounted stuffs for that one. ;)

I had to think there for a second about what you meant.. To me it looks like a giant concrete ship rising up out of the city.

Ok well time to hit the subway.. :D

GoktimusPrime
5th September 2009, 09:42 AM
Hey Wheel-J, I didn't know you used to live in Japan! Wow... seems the number of potential Japanese speakers on this board might be growing. Methinks I want to make a Japanese conversation thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=128071#post128071)! :)

Wheel-J
5th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Wheel-J, I didn't know you used to live in Japan! Wow... seems the number of potential Japanese speakers on this board might be growing. Methinks I want to make a Japanese conversation thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=128071#post128071)! :)

Lol! Goku-san sumimasen, I have to apologize that I am not really well versed in nihonggo. I only know a handful of very basic words I learned from my previous Japanese officemates and unfortunately most of it I have forgotten. Like Jetfire, I've been to Japan only for work circumstances. The HQ of the company I worked before is based in Yokohama so I had that opportunity to be there and work with Japanese. But unlike my other local work colleagues who were assigned there for longer, my stay there is on and off so I don't really have that chance to practice my jap comm skills much as they do. Though I would be eager to learn especially if the need arises again. :)

And btw, the only jap character that I can write is my name in hiragana(?) which I found out to be my name printed in my JR pass. ha ha! :D

Ok well time to hit the subway.. :D

If you're talking bout fast foods, there's a few other cheapy you may wanna try round your area. Ideally for lunchbreaks if you don't wanna walk far and at the same time fancy about ramen, there's a ramen shop at the lower level of landmark plaza after you pass by Hard Rock Cafe. You'll find that on your right just before Wendy's. Not really cheaper than Wendy's but a decent-sized bowl of ramen for Y950 should fill you up (circa 2005 :rolleyes:). Another one which I could recommend if not that I was told it was no longer cheap anymore is that fast food center on the 5th floor. They have this crappy buffet meal for Y210. You pay before you eat, grab your bowl, and fill it in as many as you can. Me and my regular mates have our bentos there most of the time. But sadly, I was told last time that they don't serve buffet anymore. And there's also a korean bbq resto across the street at the back of your hotel which you could try. If you're facing Maccas (not the one at landmark tower but the one accross the street), walk towards the left corner and find that resto on the 2nd floor. Last time I know they don't open the table grills during lunch so don't worry bout catching the savory fumes of bbq on your suit. :P

Of course, there are a lot of good diners there. If there'd be a chance I would go back there, I'll visit Pepper Lunch for a sizzling meal (the one like in Sydney), stuff myself with katsudon from my favourite Tempura shop at Kannai, and eat my staple gyudon with lots of red ginger at Yoshinoya. :)

Saintly
5th September 2009, 11:42 PM
sorry... don't really want to hi-jack the thread... but semi-related... any TF shops in Kyoto and Osaka? detailed instructions would be appreciative.

tempted to buy a PS3 but scared about the 100v incompatibility!

GoktimusPrime
6th September 2009, 12:06 AM
I only realised that you were going to Kansai just before you left Saintly... they speak a different dialect* from "standard" Japanese! Oops. :p

-------
*Diver (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Diver_%28BWII%29) and Gusshar (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Slapper_%28RID%29) speak in Kansai dialect Japanese. ;)

kurdt_the_goat
6th September 2009, 01:52 AM
sorry... don't really want to hi-jack the thread... but semi-related... any TF shops in Kyoto and Osaka? detailed instructions would be appreciative.

I'm not sure about Kyoto, but if you go into Osaka, the place to go is DenDenTown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipponbashi).
Here's a google map, not as detailed as my Akihabara one i'm afraid! (http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112508988443227355345.00045aa02064ac66d2df0&ll=34.680899,135.509405&spn=0.023962,0.038581&z=15)

It's just a single street mostly.... you'll want to look in most shops as it is :) I remember Capsule Toy Store and Joshin Super Kids Land had a few. Herogangu (http://www.herogangu.com/) i haven't visted myself, but apparantly they have a very impressive Japanese G1 offering. The map also includes the location of the fabled Toy Wholesaler if you don't mind a bit of a walk!

darockk
6th September 2009, 02:31 AM
in osaka, on the main street in den den town, look for a green walkway overpass and there is a pretty good toy shop that has older G1 stuff. its right at the foot of the overpass stairs.

kurdt_the_goat
6th September 2009, 04:10 AM
That's Herogangu, they have the overpass on the map on their website. (http://www.herogangu.com/cgi-bin/archives/4.html)

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th September 2009, 08:34 PM
If the PS3 doesn't have the range for aus power, you can buy step up converter when you get back. Usually found in Dick smiths etc etc.

Jetfire
6th September 2009, 11:27 PM
If the PS3 doesn't have the range for aus power, you can buy step up converter when you get back. Usually found in Dick smiths etc etc.

Hijack alert!!!!

Ok, I had a pretty good time in Akiba on Saturday.. I'll probably have another run at it next Sat but for now this is my take..

MP-6/MP-7 Skywarp/Thundercracker - I found a place selling both of these for 6000yen each because of "damage box" but really there is two slight dings at the back of each box - works out to about $150 for the two

ROTF Fallen from TRU Jack Mall because I seemed to missed out on this in Perth

In the backstreets on Akiba I found a shop selling TF's for 980 yen each - pretty cheap about $13 each - I got C10(Prowl)-C14(Ratchett)-C09(Sideswipe)-C17(Sunstreaker)
This sort of style packaging
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2408052954_e69e4947e2.jpg

Takara 2nd hand (but looks mint) 20 Kup w/ Wheelie - about $30

Revoltech Rodimus for a couple of other RV's from the same backstreet shop for a pricey 400yen each

2 ROTF Autobots/Decepticons Fridge Magnets 500 yen each

Street Fighter IV Revoltech stuff

A gold gundam dude from Todobashi

Encore Cassettes Vol.2 3800 yen

-----------------------------------------------------

I checked out some of the vintage G1 stuff but it seemed pretty expensive - tbh there is stuff on ebay I'm watching I'm more interested in so I passed - I'll have another look next Sat - my suitcase is already giving me funny looks

Saintly
7th September 2009, 12:31 AM
Am in Kyoto for at least till Wednesday.

thanks for the map, kurdt. I had listed DenDenTown and Herogangu shop but the rest would have been the case of walking discovery if it wasn't for your map.

The toy wholesaler is about the same distance for me as we'll be staying between shinsaibashi & shinsaibashisuji

gok, I couldn't tell the difference of the dialects unlike the chinese dialects. So at the moment, they all sound the same to me :o

thanks TC for the PS3 heads up. It's a pity that I already have one. And depending on time, I may be able to do you a posted favour as luggage space and sydney is the constraining factor. I've yet to use the JP postal service so I'm not sure how easy that is.

I saw these (http://shop.joshin.co.jp/shopdetail.php?cd=1746&area=&keyword=%C6%FC%CB%DC%B6%B6&line=0#19737) at Harajuku Kiddyland the other day, but don't really understand the point of them?

Sorry Jetfire for hijacking :) There's actually a couple of shops near Suehirocho Station Exit 1 (side) if you walk towards Akibahara

GoktimusPrime
7th September 2009, 10:23 AM
Transformers (electrical) are f'expensive in Australia! I recommend buying a step-up transformer while you're in Japan. I once bought a transformer from jaycar; cost me triple the price of one I bought in Akihabara and after about a year it stopped working. :(

Fungal Infection
7th September 2009, 11:15 AM
Hey Saintly, just be careful with the PS3 purchase - can't remember which thread it was in, but someone mentioned that there are restrictions on what games you can play on the jap system. I think it refused to play Resistance due to the graphic nature of the game or something.

PS. Since we are practically neighbors, if you can grab me an Encore Cassettes Volume 2 for under $50 whilst you are there, me will love you long time. :p

Am in Kyoto for at least till Wednesday.

thanks for the map, kurdt. I had listed DenDenTown and Herogangu shop but the rest would have been the case of walking discovery if it wasn't for your map.

The toy wholesaler is about the same distance for me as we'll be staying between shinsaibashi & shinsaibashisuji

gok, I couldn't tell the difference of the dialects unlike the chinese dialects. So at the moment, they all sound the same to me :o

thanks TC for the PS3 heads up. It's a pity that I already have one. And depending on time, I may be able to do you a posted favour as luggage space and sydney is the constraining factor. I've yet to use the JP postal service so I'm not sure how easy that is.

I saw these (http://shop.joshin.co.jp/shopdetail.php?cd=1746&area=&keyword=%C6%FC%CB%DC%B6%B6&line=0#19737) at Harajuku Kiddyland the other day, but don't really understand the point of them?

Sorry Jetfire for hijacking :) There's actually a couple of shops near Suehirocho Station Exit 1 (side) if you walk towards Akibahara

Gutsman Heavy
7th September 2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Saintly, just be careful with the PS3 purchase - can't remember which thread it was in, but someone mentioned that there are restrictions on what games you can play on the jap system. I think it refused to play Resistance due to the graphic nature of the game or something.

Yes, a JP PS3 will censor some games, also there has been problems with some multi player games that wont let to connect to local players, but that's pretty rare. stick with a local console IMO.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th September 2009, 12:31 PM

Considering the possible limits to Ps3iness, Hmm, maybe I should just get an aus PS3 then. Thanks for the thoughts tho. Just did some googling and there is a way around it, but its a bit of pain, just gotta get a game save off of a nonjap console and use that apparently.

The bike wheel covers? They make yer bike more aerodynamice! Like a transformer of course. Yes, I am a hijacker occasionally (rarely do I wheeljack though)

ITZTRU
7th September 2009, 05:41 PM
Just in relation to the PS3 issues...i brought one back from Japan in May...absolutely no problems what so ever...the system is multi voltage...don't even need a converter...just replace the electrical plug with something you should have at home (I can't remember the name...older PC's and even kettle's use them) and you're ready to go... :) not sure about all the censorship stuff tho...

darockk
7th September 2009, 11:36 PM
Just in relation to the PS3 issues...i brought one back from Japan in May...absolutely no problems what so ever...the system is multi voltage...don't even need a converter...just replace the electrical plug with something you should have at home (I can't remember the name...older PC's and even kettle's use them) and you're ready to go... :) not sure about all the censorship stuff tho...

i can confirm this, as i also have an old 20GB jap ps3, it just uses a D-shape PC or kettle cable and can run without any transformer.

Not sure about the new slim ps3 though.

Saintly
8th September 2009, 01:18 AM
nah, I'm cool with my current PS3, if it is space I'm lacking, I'll just upgrade the internal to the biggest 2.5in SATA drive when I'm ready.. the sliminess isn't what grabs me (I like it to feel solid!).

As for Fungal, we'll see, gotta find it first and gotta have the luggage space... so can't promise anything.

Found a hobby shop near Daimaru Kyoto this evening, sadly no TFs but a stack load of Gundams and Macross VFs

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th September 2009, 03:37 AM
gundams are everywhere!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_1151.jpg
He aint so big. Look at the comparison with Ratchet.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_1166.jpg

:D;):rolleyes:

1AZRAEL1
13th September 2009, 02:46 PM
OMG:eek::eek::eek: Is that thing real? I mean, does it really move?
Such a great secret the Japanese have there, secretly building Gundams to take over USA... :rolleyes:

Doubledealer
13th September 2009, 05:23 PM
OMG:eek::eek::eek: Is that thing real? I mean, does it really move?
Such a great secret the Japanese have there, secretly building Gundams to take over USA... :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware it doesn't move. Sure looks amazing though, check out these night time shots (taken from cnet.com):

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/06/15/gundam_4.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/06/15/gundam_3.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/06/15/gundam_8.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/06/15/gundam_2.jpg

kurdt_the_goat
13th September 2009, 05:28 PM
The 1:1 Gundam's head could turn left to right and tilt backwards, but was otherwise immobile (but remained supremely awesome!)

blackoptimus
13th September 2009, 06:40 PM

What about yougibushicamera?

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th September 2009, 08:57 PM
The 1:1 Gundam's head could turn left to right and tilt backwards, but was otherwise immobile (but remained supremely awesome!)

Yes it was. Did you go see it? WHen I was there, there were heaps of people around. The head started to move and some music played and the whole crowd went "Whooooooooa!" everytime the head moved. It was hilarious!:D

Apparently a couple got married under it....

k.wong23
20th November 2009, 11:32 PM
hi guys thread dig-up as i'm in japan and some insight into places mentioned previously!

Ikebukuro: 2 department stores had almost nothing, 2 items (demolisher and something else)
Kiddyland Harajuku: Decent stock of everything but way over-priced compared to what else I saw
Yobodashi-Aki (level 6): Overpriced
Random stores in akihabara: Well priced, will pickup buster prime for about 6200 YEN, MP Thundercracker for 6100 and some other bits and pieces in the coming week!

liegeprime
27th November 2009, 09:49 AM
hi guys thread dig-up as i'm in japan and some insight into places mentioned previously!

Ikebukuro: 2 department stores had almost nothing, 2 items (demolisher and something else)
Kiddyland Harajuku: Decent stock of everything but way over-priced compared to what else I saw
Yobodashi-Aki (level 6): Overpriced
Random stores in akihabara: Well priced, will pickup buster prime for about 6200 YEN, MP Thundercracker for 6100 and some other bits and pieces in the coming week!

Are there any sightings of G1 stuff , loose or otherwise? Just curious...

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th November 2009, 10:04 AM
Probably some encores hanging around. Usually original G1 are in niche shops and Pricey!

heroic_decepticon
14th December 2009, 12:07 AM
Jetfire, k.wong23,

I'm visiting Tokyo during the first week of the new year. Is there any places that you can recommend that I should go to check out Transformers, based on your trip there?

Any tips would be great and much appreciated. :D

kurdt_the_goat
14th December 2009, 12:11 AM
My post earlier in this thread has got you covered!

Try this link if you go past Akihabara (http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112508988443227355345.0004676aa7da81bfd3452&ll=35.700579,139.771178&spn=0.001076,0.002221&z=19), and i recommend you do!

Most figure/hobby stores have at least a few TFs, but the best ones to visit are:
Yodobashi Camera.. i think it was 6th floor; Movie TF's, Encore's and Henkei.
Radio Kaikan.. this is a building housing heaps of smaller stores on different levels; all together, you could probably find most recent Japanese TF's and a few older ones.
Liberty Store #7.. must-visit store, 1st floor has got about 6 glass cabinets of TF's, mostly used, from all era's and a giant 1.5m Optimus statue!
Mandarake... ABSOLUTE must have if you're into G1, 2 full rows of glass cabinets, TF's from all era's, about 50% of it is Japanese G1. Make sure your wallet is prepared, though just seeing it is fun itself :) It's on the top floor, but only the right hand elevator gets to the top floor!

k.wong23
14th December 2009, 10:25 AM
Are there any sightings of G1 stuff , loose or otherwise? Just curious...

liege, yeh i'd say theres actually a fair amount of G1 scattered across different stores in akihabara, but ye it is priced the same as ebay it would appear, sometimes slightly more?

Jetfire, k.wong23,

I'm visiting Tokyo during the first week of the new year. Is there any places that you can recommend that I should go to check out Transformers, based on your trip there?

Any tips would be great and much appreciated. :D

like kurdt mentioned, you should have a look at his map of Akihabara. I'll mention that you should visit the area on kurdt's map where "GAMERS" shop is. Be sure to explore all the levels around there :)

Mandarake is also worth looking at on that map.

If you get a chance, have a visit of TOYS R US sometime, they have beast wars, encore, alternity and various others e.g ROTF and have certain items on clearance. The only one I actually went to was in Odaiba, but Odaiba itself is great for sightseeing/shopping!

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions shoot!

Jetfire
14th December 2009, 12:01 PM
I'd say print out that map, and possibly pictures of the storefronts will help you out. All the cool TF stuff in Akihabara is in walking distance. And try the back alley shops not mentioned on the map, I found a bunch of cheap henkei not neccessarrily from toy shops, more like Red Dot Akihabara or Crazy Akiba's.

I may be back there in January myself.

heroic_decepticon
14th December 2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Jetfire, kurdt, k.wong, for all the kind responses.

This is mostly going to be a sashimi, good coffee, good chocolates and sightseeing trip with my wife (with a day of Tokyo Disneyland thrown in, heh).

I'll squeeze in some TF time if I can but I know what you guys mean when you say the prices are like eBay and sometimes more. I think I certainly have more places that I can cover given the limited time I'll be there.

Jetfire, when will you be there? I'm going from 1 Jan to 10 Jan. :p

Jetfire
15th December 2009, 12:50 PM
Jetfire, when will you be there? I'm going from 1 Jan to 10 Jan. :p

Not sure yet. Tentatively January atm. I went there is September for 2 weeks to train people in the software I work with. They have asked me back in Jan for 3 weeks.. might happen, might not but their asking for quotes so it is looking more likely. No dates confirmed.

heroic_decepticon
15th December 2009, 10:28 PM
keep me posted mate!

GoktimusPrime
16th December 2009, 10:18 AM
Damnit! I found _NO_ Transformers when I was in Akihabara! Where the hell were all these stores in the 90s?!? (>o<)

heroic_decepticon
4th January 2010, 12:02 PM
guys,quick update

went to akihabara yesterday. it was VERY awesome.

- scored a Raiden giftset C9 box (complete paperworks, missing 2 small green clips) for AU$780.

- MIB Lightfoot

- MIB Carb

- MIB Doubleclouder (C9 box, complete paperworks and C9 toy) - AU$280.

I also saw MISB (Jap boxes) Springer, Broadside, Snapdragon, Beachcomber, Wheeljack and more....

MIB Overlord complete in C9,5 box (nicest Ive seen so far....

Insane!

5FDP
4th January 2010, 12:05 PM
Did you take any pics? Would love to see these sitting on a store shelf.

kurdt_the_goat
4th January 2010, 12:11 PM
All the good places on my map of Akihabara don't allow photography :(

hanprimus
4th January 2010, 12:12 PM
I also saw MISB (Jap boxes) Springer, Broadside, Snapdragon, Beachcomber, Wheeljack and more....

Insane!

Wow! Are they all tagged with the insane price as well? :pLooks like you're in heaven!

heroic_decepticon
6th January 2010, 12:10 AM
Wow! Are they all tagged with the insane price as well? :pLooks like you're in heaven!

they are all pretty high prices, but cheaper than ebay. 

I found another Mandarake in Shibuya which also st ocks a respectable amt of G1 TFs. Will update furt her when I return.

I am considering the MISB Snapdragon and MOSC Back street if I manage to make it for a revisit.

Do you guys think Hydra (recoloured Darkwing) in i ndividual box is worth getting? (this another one  Im considering.

kurdt_the_goat
6th January 2010, 12:16 PM
I can't answer that for you, but if you did, that'd take one more item off of the collective collection (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=18)...

GoktimusPrime
6th January 2010, 09:47 PM
I can see that heroic_decepticon is using a Japane se computer. ;)

heroic_decepticon
9th January 2010, 05:19 PM
heroic decepticon is back at base with lots to report and some unexpected finds to unveil! More on this soon... :D

5FDP
9th January 2010, 05:32 PM
heroic decepticon is back at base with lots to report and some unexpected finds to unveil! More on this soon... :D

*giggles like a school girl in anticipation* :D

heroic_decepticon
10th January 2010, 02:09 AM
kurdt_the_goat and jetfire, thanks again for the tips and the map for TF hunting in Japan. It is much appreciated (if you guys, or anyone on the Board, goes to HK, I will be able to return the favour with info of similar quality! :D ).

Transformers-wise, it has been a great trip and I managed to fill many holes in my collection.

Video Clip of a Mandarake Store (yes, I slipped one by them for the team... erm the Board I mean). (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/mandarake-rulers-of-time.html)

after sorting through hundreds of pics, here's one taken on the hotel bed on the night I acquired them (no, I didn't sleep with them).

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/43743/2664961020100811158S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2664961020100811158rVzSeS)

Raiden Giftset.
I still can't believe how minty this is for the asking price. 3 of the 6 sticker sheets are unused.

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/39588/2407879090100811158S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2407879090100811158BnVkcp)

More to come.

kurdt_the_goat
10th January 2010, 02:38 AM
Hah! I'm guessing they let you sneak that clip since you offloaded so much dosh into their registers ;) Maybe now Goktimus will believe G1 toys can be found in Akihabara! Where'd you find the other Mandarake not shown on my map?

heroic_decepticon
10th January 2010, 02:51 AM
There's a Mandarake in Shibuya (which my wife found through a HK guidebook on Tokyo).

And then, there is their main store at Nakano Broadway. Mandarake occupies 3 levels of this 4 storey building. The amount of stuff in this store is staggering and definitely beats the Akihabara one in terms of scope, quantity and "vintageness" (amongst other things this place has vintage anime sketches and cells and also lots of vintage US comics!). It's a little confusing to navigate the store, and I think a solid 4-5 hours will be needed to comb the place in detail.

I found the Nakano store from their website while I was in Japan. This is a full list of all their stores - Mandarake Stores in Japan (http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/). Clicking on each link will lead you to a diagrammatic map.

Both the Shibuya and Nakano stores are less than 20mins by train from Shinjuku station which was near where I stayed.

kurdt_the_goat
10th January 2010, 03:01 AM
Damn, i should have looked at that website sooner! Which store is your video from? I guess they all look similar-ish, enough so that i thought it was the Akihabara one anyway. 4-5 hours combing would have my wife pulling out her hair! (it'll grow back:)

heroic_decepticon
10th January 2010, 03:28 AM
yup. vid is of the Akihabara store (where I splashed the most dosh in your words, heh).

I went to Nakano on the day I was due to fly out and so only spent 1.5hours there. Fortunately, my wife acted as my second pair of eyes and pointed out the TF stuff that I missed in my excitement.

She's very in tune with my TF collecting and knows what I like and wouldn't like and what I have and do not have. So it was an epic fail on my part when I wanted to buy the individual Jap box Contructicons at Nakano (as an upgrade to my Devastator), when she said hey "you already have these, buy something else you don't have".

5FDP
10th January 2010, 09:50 AM
Very nice purchases heroic_decepticon!

gamblor916
10th January 2010, 09:54 AM
Nice pickup HD, loved the clandestine video too!

GoktimusPrime
10th January 2010, 10:49 AM
I was in Akihabara when Beast Wars was still out... and at that time I never saw these stores (and I was actively hunting Transformers). Either they weren't there or perhaps they were but didn't stock Transformers (and thus didn't garner my attention)... or maybe I was just unlucky and didn't come by these stores despite my efforts. :( :(

Here's me on one of my numerous TF hunting expeditions in Tokyo:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Japan/th_ikebukuro_makku.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Japan/ikebukuro_makku.jpg)
On this particular day I went to Ikebukuro where I'd just purchased Rhinox vs. Shadow Panther (the versus set is inside that blue plastic bag I'm carrying). Ah, memories.

heroic_decepticon
11th January 2010, 02:39 AM
ladies and gentlemen, I am very happy to present my Tokyo G1 specific report in the following chapters, each packed to the rafters with photos (yes, I slipped one pass them more than once!) :D

Enjoy!

~ HD

PS: Goktimus Prime, would like to hear what you think the title of the "TV artbooks" in Chapters 4 and 5 should be translated as.

Chapter 1: In which the purpose is unveiled (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-in-which-purpose-is-unveiled.html)
Chapter 2: In which we visit the Mandarake Complex (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-in-which-we-visit-mandarake.html)
Chapter 3: In which we visit Mandarake (Shibuya) (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-in-which-we-visit-mandarake_11.html)
Chapter 4: Mandarake Complex Akihabara Redux (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-mandarake-complex-akihabara.html)
Chapter 5: In which we visit Mandarake Nakano (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-in-which-we-visit-mandarake_2439.html)
Chapter 6: The Acquisitions (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/toyko-trip-acquisitions.html)
Chapter 7: The Japan January 2010 "Best Of" Tally (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/tokyo-trip-japan-january-2010-best-of.html)

bboy-toransufoma
11th January 2010, 03:27 AM
VERY very nice...people'd have a hard time topping that...ok, I admit it...I'm jealous!

Fungal Infection
11th January 2010, 10:01 AM
Some of the prices shown are actually quite reasonable compared to ebay prices. Might have to consider changing my holiday later this year to include a stopover in Tokyo..... By the way HD, which place would you say is better stocked and priced, TF-wise, out of Singapore and Japan?

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2010, 10:41 AM
You found Transformers in Shibuya?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!! I searched everywhere for Transformers (just finding Beast Wars figures at the time would've made me happy) but I found _zip_. At the end of that day I really felt deflated and frustrated like this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/toyhunt_nosuccess.jpg
...although my friend who accompanied me was delighted as she bought bag loads of clothes and shoes, which I helped carry (might as well since I had NO shopping of my own to carry!) ... and this was just after completing a major exam at Tokyo Uni; my friend and I decided to do some retail therapy. I was thoroughly untherapised dammmmnnnnit!

(T_T) Either these stores weren't stocking Transformers in the 90s or I was just unlucky and didn't notice them despite the fact that Transformers was the _only_ thing I was looking for. <insert.swear.words>

Zippo
11th January 2010, 04:56 PM
Very jealous of the finds you had.
Makes my trip to Singapore and what I saw there look pathetic..

Any larger pictures of the items in the stores - trying to look at the price tags.

heroic_decepticon
12th January 2010, 01:37 AM
Very nice purchases heroic_decepticon!

Nice pickup HD, loved the clandestine video too!

VERY very nice...

Thanks guys! :p

Some of the prices shown are actually quite reasonable compared to ebay prices. Might have to consider changing my holiday later this year to include a stopover in Tokyo..... By the way HD, which place would you say is better stocked and priced, TF-wise, out of Singapore and Japan?

Yup. Like I mentioned, the prices are actually pretty reasonable. The C9 boxed Overlord with unused accessories and paperworks works out to be around AU$620. That's way more reasonable than some of the junk eBay sellers are peddling, not to mention their exorbitant asking prices.

I'd say that Robo-Robo in Singapore could match each Mandarake in terms of G1 TFs (but not the collective number of TFs available in all the Mandarakes combined). Today, other than Robo-Robo, I'd be hard pressed to find another shop in Singapore with such a concentration of G1 TFs.

So because it is relatively easier to access and with such a concentration of figures, I'd say, at this moment, that Japan is better stocked.

I think that you can write off Hong Kong. Jgon recently went to most of my recommended shops in HK and came up zlich on G1 TFs.

You found Transformers in Shibuya?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!! I searched everywhere for Transformers (just finding Beast Wars figures at the time would've made me happy) but I found _zip_. At the end of that day I really felt deflated and frustrated like this:

(T_T) Either these stores weren't stocking Transformers in the 90s or I was just unlucky and didn't notice them despite the fact that Transformers was the _only_ thing I was looking for. <insert.swear.words>

hey dude, don't be so pissed off. To be fair, maybe there really weren't any shops stocking TFs in the early 90s. After all, G1 just ended and TFs are not considered worth much back then, and therefore not worth their effort to resell on the second-hand market (in fact, up till around 2000, TFs in Japan were going for relatively cheaper prices compared to the rest of the world).

It's been 20 years since your 1990 trip. I don't think its unreasonable to suggest to your wife that its time for a re-visit! And this time, you will be armed with the knowledge of where to go.

Any larger pictures of the items in the stores - trying to look at the price tags.

The larger pictures are too ungainly for web-viewing purposes. Let me know which photo you are interested in and I can email you a larger pic. :p

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2010, 09:42 AM
erm, I was in Japan in '97 (hence why I lot of my pre-Transmetal BW Transformers are Japanese). But yeah, I don't think G1 TFs were very popular there nor were many stores stocking them. I would like to believe that as it makes me feel better. :p ;)

k.wong23
12th January 2010, 11:29 AM
nice stuff heroic, glad you had fun hunting! :)

I also just happened to stumble upon that mandarake store in shibuya while my gf had her nails done (how long were the flight of stairs down?? lol)

Zippo
12th January 2010, 04:02 PM
The larger pictures are too ungainly for web-viewing purposes. Let me know which photo you are interested in and I can email you a larger pic. :p

All of em :-)
Ok, I shall narrow it down for you..

I'd say that Robo-Robo in Singapore could match each Mandarake in terms of G1 TFs (but not the collective number of TFs available in all the Mandarakes combined). Today, other than Robo-Robo, I'd be hard pressed to find another shop in Singapore with such a concentration of G1 TFs.

Pissed me of that I went to that store 4 times, and only once were they open.. and they were closing so I only got a very rushed look at the place and didn't purchase anything from there.. The open hours on the door didn't seem to make a difference as I visited during the stated hours as well.
Maybe this year ...

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2010, 04:40 PM
I also just happened to stumble upon that mandarake store in shibuya while my gf had her nails done (how long were the flight of stairs down?? lol)
The Japanese love their stairs. Must suck to be mobility impaired in Japan. :/

heroic_decepticon
13th January 2010, 01:23 AM

You don't say! I felt like I went don't 4 to 5 levels, caught a whiff of sulfur and thought I landed in hell. I realised it was only B2 when I took the lift up.

Pissed me of that I went to that store 4 times, and only once were they open.. and they were closing so I only got a very rushed look at the place and didn't purchase anything from there.. The open hours on the door didn't seem to make a difference as I visited during the stated hours as well.
Maybe this year ...

No offense meant but did you go to the correct side?

The guy actually has 2 shop units that are at opposite ends of a central walkway. If you go down from the escalator (next to the cafe/food court), he has one shop on the right and another on the left. The one on the left is the main shop; and he stores his stock at the one on the right, which is almost always 'closed' because he is in the left side shop.

I also have a good number of photos of his shop if want something to look at in the meanwhile :D:D

examples:
http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/44609/2979590100100811158S500x500Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/44843/2090217630100811158S500x500Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/43943/2300200330100811158S500x500Q85.jpg

Zippo
13th January 2010, 05:22 PM
Hrm, probably not then.
I'll have to check better next time I am there..

Firestorm
5th March 2010, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, I’m going to Japan with a friend of mine for a holiday at the end of the year, and we wanna know where the best places to go are for sightseeing and for Transformer/ Pop Culture Shopping.
So far we have decided to spend the first few days of our trip in Osaka and see Osaka castle, and do some shopping. And we want to spend the majority of our time in Tokyo (we’ll be staying at a hotel near Akihabara) but we’d like to know where else in Japan is worth going to, for a good place to see while in Japan and also where the best places are for Transformers, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Gundam, Anime, etc shopping. oh also my friend is interested in eating challenges, we’ve heard of a few in Japan, does anyone know of any eating challenges for him to enter in Japan?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Lord_Zed
6th March 2010, 01:20 AM
There are so many places to go, really. it's all a matter of what sorta things you want to see, cultural, touristy, shopping, nature etc I'm going back for a holiday too this year going to have a better look. Alas it's late so I'm not awake wnough to write a list of the many things you could see.

The one piece of advice I will tell you now, is that in Osaka you want to go to Den Den Town, its like the Osaka equivalent of Akihabara when it comes to collectibles, but generally speaking Den Den town has cheaper prices, and more discounted items.

Autocon
6th March 2010, 01:38 AM
cool have a great holiday in japan:)!

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2010, 03:41 PM
I've never been to Osaka and you've already covered Akihabara on your itinerary. I'd also recommend Ikebukuro.

And knowing that you're trying to learn Japanese I'd also very strongly recommend that you try and speak zero English in Japan and try to exclusively speak in Japanese. Avoid the English language like the plague. It won't be hard as the majority of Japanese people don't speak English (some of them like to think they can ;p). You learn more from daily conversations than you would from months of hitting books. :)

liegeprime
6th March 2010, 04:11 PM
ooooh enjoy!, I also would like to go there, but its all in the wish list category for now. :D..... just greet them with, ... Points to the sky... aaaaah Gojiraaaaa!!! then runs frantically hahahahahaha :D youd prolly get arrested heheheh

Heroic decepticon just went a few months ago mebbe you can ask him where he went as he had a wonderful loot when he went back :D

autobreadticon
6th March 2010, 04:13 PM
have fun, love to write about your adventure when you return

Firestorm
7th March 2010, 01:22 AM
There are so many places to go, really. it's all a matter of what sorta things you want to see, cultural, touristy, shopping, nature etc I'm going back for a holiday too this year going to have a better look. Alas it's late so I'm not awake wnough to write a list of the many things you could see.

The one piece of advice I will tell you now, is that in Osaka you want to go to Den Den Town, its like the Osaka equivalent of Akihabara when it comes to collectibles, but generally speaking Den Den town has cheaper prices, and more discounted items.

I heard there was an Akihabara equivalent in Osaka, I'll be sure to check it out.
We’d like to see all sorts of things cultural stuff (like Osaka castle) touristy (Tokyo tower) shopping (Akihabara) Nature (... umm yeah maybe some nature places too)

cool have a great holiday in japan:)!

I've never been to Osaka and you've already covered Akihabara on your itinerary. I'd also recommend Ikebukuro.

And knowing that you're trying to learn Japanese I'd also very strongly recommend that you try and speak zero English in Japan and try to exclusively speak in Japanese. Avoid the English language like the plague. It won't be hard as the majority of Japanese people don't speak English (some of them like to think they can ;p). You learn more from daily conversations than you would from months of hitting books. :)

Ha-ha yeah I’m gonna try and use as much Japanese and as little English as possible while I’m over there,
So what's Ikebukuro like?

ooooh enjoy!, I also would like to go there, but its all in the wish list category for now. :D..... just greet them with, ... Points to the sky... aaaaah Gojiraaaaa!!! then runs frantically hahahahahaha :D youd prolly get arrested heheheh

Ha-ha, interesting idea, I hope one day you can go to Japan too

have fun, love to write about your adventure when you return

We're not going till the end of the year (I'm just planning ahead). But I will have fun, and I'll definitely write all about it when I get back (and show off my purchases:D)

We'll be going there for about a month (from mid December to mid January)
So far our list of things to do is
Osaka (first few days)
Go to Osaka Castle
Go to Den Den Town (NEW)
Unused Time (about a week and a half)
Tokyo (Last 2 weeks)
Go to Tokyo Disneyland
Go to Tokyo Tower
Karaoke
Use Gundam Simulators (if they still have those)

Woo 100th post

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2010, 09:34 AM
So what's Ikebukuro like?
There are two department stores atop Ikebukuro station (similar to the former Melbourne Daimaru). There's also a Bic Camera store which is known to stock Transformers at cheap sales prices.

Robzy
7th March 2010, 08:50 PM
This is a good thread! I will keep my eye on it, cos I'm looking at going to Japan later this year too! :)

iceburn
8th March 2010, 01:17 AM
i'm heading down mar20 which is just less than 2 weeks to go so i'll post my trip reviews and hopefully i can find lots of shops to update this thread then although there's another one already created with the list of places to visit.

Firestorm
8th March 2010, 10:42 PM
There are two department stores atop Ikebukuro station (similar to the former Melbourne Daimaru). There's also a Bic Camera store which is known to stock Transformers at cheap sales prices.

Ikebukuro is now added to my list :D

This is a good thread! I will keep my eye on it, cos I'm looking at going to Japan later this year too! :)

Hope you have fun in Japan too :)

i'm heading down mar20 which is just less than 2 weeks to go so i'll post my trip reviews and hopefully i can find lots of shops to update this thread then although there's another one already created with the list of places to visit.

Wow, that's soon. Have fun Iceburn, I hope you find some really great shops
so there was already a thread about going to Japan?

oh, does anyone know if Odaiba is worth going to?

iceburn
9th March 2010, 08:56 AM

here you go:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5534

Lord_Zed
9th March 2010, 01:27 PM
That threads a bit more store focused, I though this one was for more general Japanese holiday discussion.

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th March 2010, 07:59 PM
On a semi-related note, I've applied for the JET Program and hopefully will be off soon (should find out if/when/where I go in a week or so).
Trouble is, I need to take some medications into the country, which requires a Yakkan Shoumei import certificate. As part of that I need to send a return envelope with Japanese postage stamps (enough for a Japan to Perth mail) so I can get the certificate back, but I can't find any Japanese stamps anywhere. I've tried the Japanese embassy (I'm presently in Perth and hoping I can take off for the mid-April departure) but no dice and when I tried for a standard international reply-paid envelope the post office dude said they don't do them anymore. Does anyone know where - or even if - I can find some of these babies in Oz?:confused:

Lord_Zed
9th March 2010, 08:53 PM
Well looks like I'm in the middle of the Japan trip crew with a trip planned in June, last time I did the tour thing and saw a lot of things but only briefly, This time mostly confining myself to Tokyo, so I can get a better look at it.

I heard there was an Akihabara equivalent in Osaka, I'll be sure to check it out.
We’d like to see all sorts of things cultural stuff (like Osaka castle) touristy (Tokyo tower) shopping (Akihabara) Nature (... umm yeah maybe some nature places too)

Use Gundam Simulators (if they still have those)

Osaka Castle is more of a museum than a castle, it's all new and shiny, with an elevator installed, it's still good though if you can't get to one of the old Castles. You can also pay a few yen and wear replica Samurai helmets.

On the culture side I recommend going to at least one traditional Japanese garden, and one Shrine or temple.

And I doubt the Gundam sim game has gone anywhere, I hear it's so popular you have to queue for it sometimes.

Ikebukuro is now added to my list :D

Wow, that's soon. Have fun Iceburn, I hope you find some really great shops

oh, does anyone know if Odaiba is worth going to?

Odaiba is worth a look and has a number of attractions, including one of the worlds tallest ferris wheels, A Toyota exhibition haul where you can look at their products close up, a fancy arcade, a shopping center that mimics the look of Venice (with fake sky) and a miniature Statue of Liberty. It's not much chop for TF's, though there is a Toys r Us there. I went there on a Monday night when half the stuff was closed alas, it was also near deserted and kinda eerie actually.

Taking the Yurikamome monorail over the Rainbow Bridge is pretty cool too.

Are you just going to stay in Osaka or Tokyo? Cause there are quite a few places worth seeing outside of those cities, and the speed of the Shinkansen means they don't take that long to get to.

iceburn
10th March 2010, 12:32 AM
That threads a bit more store focused, I though this one was for more general Japanese holiday discussion.

yeah agree but most places are mentioned there so he can take a reference and time to read if he didn't find it in the first place. :D

GoktimusPrime
10th March 2010, 09:36 AM
In terms of ancient culture I'd recommend Kyoto and Nara. :) But there are small temples, shrines etc. everywhere in Japan. :D

And of course, the modern day Japanese shrine -- the Jidouhanbaiki (自動販売機: vending machines!) \(^O^)/

Saintly
10th March 2010, 10:11 AM
Don't forget the Ghibli Museum if you are a fan of Ghibli :D

ps. that's in Tokyo and you do need to pre-book your ticket(s)

Firestorm
11th March 2010, 01:05 AM
here you go:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5534

After reading through that thread I am sure I will be able to find plenty of transformers to buy, thanks for showing me that thread Iceburn.
But as Lord Zed said this thread is more about general tourist/sightseeing places (as well as transformers shopping)

Well looks like I'm in the middle of the Japan trip crew with a trip planned in June, last time I did the tour thing and saw a lot of things but only briefly, This time mostly confining myself to Tokyo, so I can get a better look at it.

Have fun, hope you can find some cool stuff :)

Osaka Castle is more of a museum than a castle, it's all new and shiny, with an elevator installed, it's still good though if you can't get to one of the old Castles. You can also pay a few yen and wear replica Samurai helmets.

On the culture side I recommend going to at least one traditional Japanese garden, and one Shrine or temple.

Yeah we heard Osaka Castle was all modernised-museumified but we still wanna check it out, plus an old castle might be cool and a garden and shrine/temple

And I doubt the Gundam sim game has gone anywhere, I hear it's so popular you have to queue for it sometimes.

My friend is really into Gundam so he's really looking forward to playing the Gundam Sim, I don’t know much about Gundam but I think the Gundam sim still sounds cool

Odaiba is worth a look and has a number of attractions, including one of the worlds tallest ferris wheels, A Toyota exhibition haul where you can look at their products close up, a fancy arcade, a shopping center that mimics the look of Venice (with fake sky) and a miniature Statue of Liberty. It's not much chop for TF's, though there is a Toys r Us there. I went there on a Monday night when half the stuff was closed alas, it was also near deserted and kinda eerie actually.

Taking the Yurikamome monorail over the Rainbow Bridge is pretty cool too.

Hmm tall ferris wheel, Toyota stuff, statue of liberty, toys r us, monorail, eerie fake Venice ... I'm in Odaiba is added to my list

Are you just going to stay in Osaka or Tokyo? Cause there are quite a few places worth seeing outside of those cities, and the speed of the Shinkansen means they don't take that long to get to.

We will be over in Japan for about a month and so far we have decided to spend the first few days in Osaka, and the last 2 weeks or so in Tokyo, leaving about a week and a half in the middle for us to fill with staying in other parts of Japan, we just don’t know where else to go

In terms of ancient culture I'd recommend Kyoto and Nara. :) But there are small temples, shrines etc. everywhere in Japan. :D

And of course, the modern day Japanese shrine -- the Jidouhanbaiki (自動販売機: vending machines!) \(^O^)/

we probably will go to Kyoto at some point while we are staying in Tokyo.

Ah vending machines, greatest technological breakthrough ever ha-ha. Is it true that you can get almost anything out of a vending machine in Japan?

Don't forget the Ghibli Museum if you are a fan of Ghibli :D

ps. that's in Tokyo and you do need to pre-book your ticket(s)

The only Ghibli films I've seen are Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro, I don’t think we'll check out the Ghibli Museum, but it was a good suggestion

My list of things to do
Osaka (first few days)
Go to Osaka Castle
Go to Den Den Town
Unused Time (about a week and a half)
Tokyo (Last 2 weeks)
Go to Tokyo Disneyland
Go to Tokyo Tower
Karaoke
Use Gundam Simulators
Go to Shibuya (NEW)
Go to Kyoto (NEW)
Go to Ikebukuro (NEW)
Go to Odaiba (New)

Saintly
11th March 2010, 09:54 AM
We visited Hakone/Lake Ashi for a couple of days when we went there. A nice area if you want to see Mt Fuji (from afar).

Kyoto is beautiful as well (streets are organised like Melbourne CBD). If you do visit Kyoto, stop by the Arashiyama area.

In terms of old castle, I think Nijo Castle in Kyoto retains a far bit (ie. not allow to use flash photography)

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2010, 04:43 PM
Ah vending machines, greatest technological breakthrough ever ha-ha. Is it true that you can get almost anything out of a vending machine in Japan?
Some oddities I've seen are:
+ Hot coffee. Sounds inoffensive but think about it - it's boiling hot coffee in a METAL can. Ouchies!!
+ Condoms
+ 5L cans of beer

There are also convenience stores (コンビに) all over the place which are always open (unlike some in Australia which _close_ after late hours :()

Lord_Zed
11th March 2010, 08:43 PM
As Goki, and Saintly have said Kyoto is pretty good for historic and cultural sites, some of the worlds best gardens, not to mention the Golden Pagoda. I'd consider avoiding going on a weekend though, the amount of tourists both foreign and local was crazy.

As far as castles go I recommend Himeji Castle in the small city of Himeji it literally dominates the landscape and is the largest remaining intact castle I believe, and national treasure to boot.

Another place I recommend visiting for cultural or nature sightseeing (though a little further afield from Osaka and Tokyo) is Miyajima. A small island near Hiroshima and home to the Itsukushima shrine which looks like it is floating during high tide, as well as an incredibly beautiful national park, filled with almost tame deer who will try to eat your map. A cable cart goes up the mountain which has an amazing view of the inland sea, as well as many monkeys and yet more deer.

Saintly
12th March 2010, 02:48 PM
The Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) in Kyoto... well it can be done during the weekends but make sure you go there early, ie. 8am, no later than 9am.

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2010, 11:05 AM
I went to Kinkakuji after 9AM. Didn't have any probs (I nearly typed probes :p)

snazzbot 101
13th March 2010, 07:30 PM
As far as castles go I recommend Himeji Castle in the small city of Himeji it literally dominates the landscape and is the largest remaining intact castle I believe, and national treasure to boot.

I would definitely recommend Himeji Castle. During my round the world trip a couple of years back I ended up in Japan twice (long story) and both times I visited that wonderful place.

Curiously enough at both times I regretted not having time visiting the museum. All because I spent the while wandering about, soaking in the magic.

I like castles; it's a legitimate sickness.

GoktimusPrime
14th March 2010, 08:56 AM
I never visited any castles. Actually I never visited that many touristy places at all. *sigh* That's what happens when you're living in Japan as a full time student and you're trying to collect Transformers at the same time. :p

Firestorm
14th March 2010, 04:30 PM
We visited Hakone/Lake Ashi for a couple of days when we went there. A nice area if you want to see Mt Fuji (from afar).

Kyoto is beautiful as well (streets are organised like Melbourne CBD). If you do visit Kyoto, stop by the Arashiyama area.

In terms of old castle, I think Nijo Castle in Kyoto retains a far bit (ie. not allow to use flash photography)

The Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) in Kyoto... well it can be done during the weekends but make sure you go there early, ie. 8am, no later than 9am.

As Goki, and Saintly have said Kyoto is pretty good for historic and cultural sites, some of the worlds best gardens, not to mention the Golden Pagoda. I'd consider avoiding going on a weekend though, the amount of tourists both foreign and local was crazy.

Another place I recommend visiting for cultural or nature sightseeing (though a little further afield from Osaka and Tokyo) is Miyajima. A small island near Hiroshima and home to the Itsukushima shrine which looks like it is floating during high tide, as well as an incredibly beautiful national park, filled with almost tame deer who will try to eat your map. A cable cart goes up the mountain which has an amazing view of the inland sea, as well as many monkeys and yet more deer.

we'll probably check out the kinkakuji in Kyoto and maybe a few other cultural areas around Kyoto while we're in Tokyo

We were considering spending a few days in hiroshima in between osaka and tokyo, now i think we might go with it and visit miyajima while we're there, it sounds like a nice place to see

I would definitely recommend Himeji Castle. During my round the world trip a couple of years back I ended up in Japan twice (long story) and both times I visited that wonderful place.

Curiously enough at both times I regretted not having time visiting the museum. All because I spent the while wandering about, soaking in the magic.

I like castles; it's a legitimate sickness.

we might check out Himeji Castle too, we want to see and do as much as possible (while also buying as much stuff as possible:D)

+ Hot coffee. Sounds inoffensive but think about it - it's boiling hot coffee in a METAL can. Ouchies!!
+ Condoms
+ 5L cans of beer

There are also convenience stores (コンビに) all over the place which are always open (unlike some in Australia which _close_ after late hours :()

:eek: Those are odd! I'm gonna stay on the lookout while we're over there and see what strange vending machines i can find haha

Lord_Zed
14th March 2010, 07:33 PM
we might check out Himeji Castle too, we want to see and do as much as possible (while also buying as much stuff as possible:D)

That's doable,most stores in Japan are open till 8:00, a few seemed to stay open till 10:00 even. So you can sight see by day and shop at night. That's what I did.

:eek: Those are odd! I'm gonna stay on the lookout while we're over there and see what strange vending machines i can find haha

I found the vending machines very convenient for basic stuff like water. there literally everywhere and cheaper than the convenience stores.

+ Condoms
+ 5L cans of beer

We have condom vending machines here, but their hidden away from the public in the mens room of pubs and clubs. I think is saw one or two Beer vending machines over there though, now that's an oddity by Australian standards. A beer vending machine in Australia would be asking for trouble.

Like the Simpsons episode where Homer get's his arm trapped in a vending machine.
Fireman: "Homer are you just holding on to the can"
Homer: "Your point being?"

GoktimusPrime
15th March 2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah but I saw a condom vending machine on a public road outside an AM/PM 24h convenience store! It was disguised as a cigarette vending machine, but everyone knew what was really inside. :p

liegeprime
15th March 2010, 06:42 PM
I only saw this on TV - vending machines with panties in it. guess if anyone needed a spare panty in case they soiled themselves heheheh:D of course does that mean only womenfolk soil themselves?

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th March 2010, 07:35 PM
Oh no, it's waaay better than that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burusera). The vending machines in question actually sell - or rather used to sell, as the vending machines have now been banned as far as I know - pre-worn panties, so perverts consumers can buy them to smell. Nowadays you have to go to specialist shops, which is nowhere near as wacky cool funny IMO.:(

GoktimusPrime
15th March 2010, 08:04 PM
Ode is right. Those vending machines are now outlawed.

And not because of anything to do with countering sexual deviants/perverts -- but because it violates health laws! My guess is that it's probably a lot easier to enforce existing laws for public hygiene rather than trying to push for legislation to outlaw people from being perverts. :)

Saintly
16th March 2010, 09:26 AM
I was going to say what Ode had said but thought it was unnecessary since it is a public forum.

Also let's not divert from the topic :P

Firestorm
17th March 2010, 11:44 PM
note to self "fear japanese vending machines and toilets"

ok, here is my current plan for japan

Osaka for first 3 or 4 days (see osaka castle, go to den den town)
then Hiroshima for 3 or 4 days (go to miyajima)
(Blank)
Then Tokyo for about 2 weeks (Go to akihabara, go to shibuya, go to kyoto, go to ikebukuro, go to odaiba)

are there any other parts of japan that are worth staying at for a few days between hiroshima and tokyo for either Transformers, sightseeing, cultural stuff?

also reviews of hotels or airlines would be helpful too so feel free to post those

Kyle
18th March 2010, 01:11 AM
The panties from vending machines were pre-worn... but can you be certain they weren't pre-worn by men...? :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th March 2010, 01:33 AM
Apparently they had a picture of the inital owner on them...

Firestorm
18th March 2010, 02:09 AM
(looking at the last few messages)
... (sigh) this thread is gonna be like this for a while isnt it?
stupid japanese pantie vending machines

Apparently they had a picture of the inital owner on them...

... wow that just seems makes those vending machines seem even more wrong

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th March 2010, 03:11 AM
geographic thought here, kyoto is closer to osaka than tokyo. Although you can take the shinkansen between the two, its pricey. Oh shinkansen is the bullet train.

Make a trip to hakone which is in the vicinity of mt fuji. There is a toy museum there that doesn't have tfs, but it has lots of pre-60s toys. Plus its a good place for onsen hotels. Er hot springs, which are always nice.
Hakone tourist board site (http://www.japanvisitor.com/index.php?cID=357&pID=1095)
Some Blog guys view of the toy museum (http://toyboxdx.com/brog/?p=459)

I enjoyed the museum, it had lost of kitsch styled stuff which I reckon is awesome.

While you are there, investigate staying at a Ryokan (traditional japanese inn). They cost a bit more than a normal hotel, but the experience is worth it!

Kyle
18th March 2010, 10:38 AM
I'd love to visit Tokyo again (and maybe Osaka as well) in December. Hope I get so save enough money... :o

Lord_Zed
18th March 2010, 01:23 PM
note to self "fear japanese vending machines and toilets"

Fear them? Japanese made Western toilets are like super advanced future toilets, the traditonal kind are scary though, even if they do make more sense given human physiology.

ok, here is my current plan for japan

Osaka for first 3 or 4 days (see osaka castle, go to den den town)
then Hiroshima for 3 or 4 days (go to miyajima)
(Blank)
Then Tokyo for about 2 weeks (Go to akihabara, go to shibuya, go to kyoto, go to ikebukuro, go to odaiba)

are there any other parts of japan that are worth staying at for a few days between hiroshima and tokyo for either Transformers, sightseeing, cultural stuff?

also reviews of hotels or airlines would be helpful too so feel free to post those

I rather liked Hiroshima as a contrast to Tokyo, perhaps because it is a much smaller city it had a more relaxed vibe. You should go to the peace memorial park with the A bomb dome at what was Hirsohima's ground zero, the museum there is a sombering experience but worth it.

It's also right next to the centre of town, where a number of stores selling TF's and other things can be found if you search.

Also Himeji is between Osaka and Hirsohima, and worth a one day look (you probably don't need to stay there though, just drop by on the way up or down).

Firestorm
21st March 2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, now that all this talk of Super Toilets and Panty Vending Machines is behind us let's get back onto the actual topic of visitng japan

I rather liked Hiroshima as a contrast to Tokyo, perhaps because it is a much smaller city it had a more relaxed vibe. You should go to the peace memorial park with the A bomb dome at what was Hirsohima's ground zero, the museum there is a sombering experience but worth it.

It's also right next to the centre of town, where a number of stores selling TF's and other things can be found if you search.

Also Himeji is between Osaka and Hirsohima, and worth a one day look (you probably don't need to stay there though, just drop by on the way up or down).

Might check that stuff out in Hiroshima while we're there.

for those of you who have been to japan before (particularly in osaka and hiroshima) what hotels did you stay at and could you please review said hotels

Saintly
22nd March 2010, 01:59 PM
Hiroshima was a day trip for me, so can't comment on the hotel.

Osaka, had stayed (mainly) at Flexstay Shinsaibashi. Quiet, clean, loads of eatery around. Near Daimaru. This is more of a retail therapy area.

The other was ANA Osaka (1 night only). Like any 5 star. Had a cheap rate for it.

Hakone, we stay at an excellent onsen. Kyoto was a lovely homestay. Tokyo, we went with a fairly budget accomodation, which was fairly good but the prices was similar to ANA Osaka (maybe slightly lower).

Let me know if you want the latter 3 places.

Firestorm
23rd March 2010, 12:26 AM
Hiroshima was a day trip for me, so can't comment on the hotel.

Osaka, had stayed (mainly) at Flexstay Shinsaibashi. Quiet, clean, loads of eatery around. Near Daimaru. This is more of a retail therapy area.

The other was ANA Osaka (1 night only). Like any 5 star. Had a cheap rate for it.

Hakone, we stay at an excellent onsen. Kyoto was a lovely homestay. Tokyo, we went with a fairly budget accomodation, which was fairly good but the prices was similar to ANA Osaka (maybe slightly lower).

Let me know if you want the latter 3 places.

Thanks for the info Saintly, we've already found places to stay at in Tokyo, but I'd like to hear a little more about the places you stayed in Osaka

Firestorm
8th April 2010, 12:27 AM
Update on my plans for Japan, i will now be going with 3 friends at the end of the year instead of 1 friend
my friends consist of
a glutton
a perv
and an otaku
so i need to come up with ideas that each of us would enjoy and find hotels that have rooms for 4 people (hotel i was looking at for tokyo was 3 people maximum)
i guess i should provide more info than that
Friend A: likes gundam, food, Super Sentai, kamen rider, anime, arcades, video games
Friend B: Likes Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, anime, and some other things i wont mention
Friend C: Likes Anime, Manga, Video Games, and wants to go to a "Maid Cafe"
so if anyone knows any places any of my friends might like then please suggest away
also if you've stayed at any hotels that have rooms for 4 people please review/rate them

Saintly
8th April 2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info Saintly, we've already found places to stay at in Tokyo, but I'd like to hear a little more about the places you stayed in Osaka

Hey Firestorm, sorry that I hadn't replied... took awhile for this thread to resurfaced or find :o

The ANA Osaka (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/osaja). I can't really comment on the area as I didn't do much exploring (just wanted to sleep after 13hrs of flight and transit, the next morning we left for Tokyo). But the rooms, well.. it's 5 star, great views of the river.

Flexstay Shinsaibashi -> http://www.wmt-osaka.com/shinsaibashi/
The entry is up a flight (5 to 7 steps) of stairs, through the nightguard door then in the lift to reception. You would use the same lift to go up to the room floors. The reception area is like a clinic! as in spotlessly clean! The rooms, are also clean but had some cigarette residue smell. I noticed that they did try their best to get rid of the smell by putting air fresheners in the room. 1 of the 2 rooms we had, was dimly lit and was not sure if they could do anything about it.

In terms of going with 4 people, email (if available) the accomodation places to see what they have for 4 people, checkin/checkout dates as some places don't actually include it in their online reservation system and see what their options/responses are.

Akibahara and DenDen town has a few of those "things I won't mention" and "maid cafe" places. I didn't go looking but they are obvious especially down side streets but more so in Akibahara.

Hope that helps!

Firestorm
10th April 2010, 09:50 PM
thanks for the info Saintly, i'll look into those places and might discuss them with my friends

well with the addition of 2 more people here is the current plan for my japan trip

Osaka (all four of us)
Stay at hotel
go to Osaka castle
go to Den Den Town

Solo Time (where we all split up to do stuff we want to do)
Me and the friend i was originally travelling with will be going to Hiroshima during this time and going to Miyajima while we are there, whilst Friend B will be visiting friends he made the last 2 times he was in Japan, and i have no idea what Friend C will be doing)

Tokyo (all 4 of us)
we'll all meet up again in tokyo and stay at hotels together
go to Akihabara
go to Shibuya
go to Odaiba
go to Ikebukuro
Karaoke
go to Tokyo Tower

now the only problem is getting enough money

while i'm talking about money, does anyone know how much i could sell 3 game and watch games for? I've got Donkey Kong J.R, Fire and Mario Bros (with a dual screen) the boxes of all 3 are pretty beaten up but for how old these things are that is kinda to be expected, the styrophome trays inside the boxes are pretty much complete (one has a bit of damage) all 3 come with their instructions and as for the actual game and watches themselves they are in incredible condition like as if they were never removed from the boxes, selling them might help me money wise for japan

GoktimusPrime
11th April 2010, 09:14 AM
Roppongi is Tokyo's red light district if your perv friend wants to... ya know. ;)

liegeprime
11th April 2010, 09:19 AM
Weell, I dont know of anyplace in Japan as Ive never been but as per your general description of your party members your in the right place :D. You can prolly go to a resto with geishas, have friend A pig out on the food, Friend B perv at the geishas (although that might be frowned upon greatly) and have friend C take snappy shots at the geishas as they're in their colorful costumes like anime coxplay people:D:D

Firestorm
14th April 2010, 09:23 PM
Roppongi is Tokyo's red light district if your perv friend wants to... ya know. ;)

haha, might be a good suggestion for him, sadly (sorta) it doesnt seem like he can come as he will not be able to afford the whole trip

Weell, I dont know of anyplace in Japan as Ive never been but as per your general description of your party members your in the right place :D. You can prolly go to a resto with geishas, have friend A pig out on the food, Friend B perv at the geishas (although that might be frowned upon greatly) and have friend C take snappy shots at the geishas as they're in their colorful costumes like anime coxplay people:D:D

well Friend B Probably isnt comming and Friend C is unsure if he can go, but it seems likely he can
To save money we might be flying with Jetstar instead of Japan Airlines, (it'll save us about $800-900 each)
i think i've foind some farly good hotels in tokyo and osaka that just leaves hiroshima
then the only other problem is getting enough money to actually go, i have saved $800 so far but that is only about 1/7 of how much i'll probably need i'll be getting paid about $300 next week and all of it is going towards japan, I'm gonna have to cut back on buying transformers for a while (sadly) but it is for a good cause (going to japan to buy MORE transformers lol)
I'm not going till mid december but it would be a good idea to start buying/reserving things before hand (eg flights, accomodation etc)

by my calculations it should cost roughly 5000-6000 dollars (excluding spending money) ... i think i might need a second job ...

Saintly
15th April 2010, 09:05 AM
i think i've foind some farly good hotels in tokyo and osaka that just leaves hiroshima
then the only other problem is getting enough money to actually go, i have saved $800 so far but that is only about 1/7 of how much i'll probably need i'll be getting paid about $300 next week and all of it is going towards japan, I'm gonna have to cut back on buying transformers for a while (sadly) but it is for a good cause (going to japan to buy MORE transformers lol)
I'm not going till mid december but it would be a good idea to start buying/reserving things before hand (eg flights, accomodation etc)

by my calculations it should cost roughly 5000-6000 dollars (excluding spending money) ... i think i might need a second job ...

How long is it that you are going for?

You can always try sleeping in transit (that's if you are going on distant locations) to save on accomodation.

Firestorm
18th April 2010, 08:41 PM
How long is it that you are going for?

We're going for about a month mid december to mid-late jan

Firestorm
29th April 2010, 02:59 AM
Urrrgggghhh I NEED MONEY!!!!!!
i've got a little over $1000 saved so far which is only about 1/6 of the total trip cost (and that's without counting spending money)
with April coming to an end that only gives me 7 months to earn the other $5000 plus spending money
wish me luck everyone, I'm gonna need it (sigh)

oh and if anyone cares about my little Friend A Friend B Friend C problem i was having a while ago, it seems to have all fizzeled down to nothing, Friend C doesnt think he'll be able to go now, Friend B is now going in september so it's back to just me and friend A going in december (i hope)

Saintly
29th April 2010, 11:03 AM
i've got a little over $1000 saved so far which is only about 1/6 of the total trip cost (and that's without counting spending money)
with April coming to an end that only gives me 7 months to earn the other $5000 plus spending money

oh and if anyone cares about my little Friend A Friend B Friend C problem i was having a while ago, it seems to have all fizzeled down to nothing, Friend C doesnt think he'll be able to go now, Friend B is now going in september so it's back to just me and friend A going in december (i hope)

Look on the bright side, at least you don't need to accomodate for everyone else's needs :)

Lord_Zed
29th April 2010, 01:07 PM

My trip is almost a month away, and my friend is only hanging around for half of it. But as Saintly said, on the plus side the less people the less you have to accomodate, so you can spend even more time shopping etc, or going where you please. When I went to Japan on a tour, I always snuck of in the afternoon or evenings so I could explore at my own pace, and check out anything that caught my interest.

I thought that was in Kabukicho, which also happens to be near where I'm staying, but for the convenience of Shinjuku station rather than any perverted reason.:p

liegeprime
29th April 2010, 01:32 PM
I thought that was in Kabukicho, which also happens to be near where I'm staying, but for the convenience of Shinjuku station rather than any perverted reason.:p

So you claim....:p;) hehehehe
Are there like backpackers accomodation in Japan? Coz from the sounds of it, its kinda expensive living there just for a few weeks holiday:( ( excluding the toybuying of course)

GoktimusPrime
29th April 2010, 08:25 PM
living in Japan is expensive period.

1000JPY for 1kg of rice?!? Gah!! :( Transformers are cheaper though. :) :D

Firestorm
30th April 2010, 03:12 AM
Look on the bright side, at least you don't need to accomodate for everyone else's needs :)

My trip is almost a month away, and my friend is only hanging around for half of it. But as Saintly said, on the plus side the less people the less you have to accomodate, so you can spend even more time shopping etc, or going where you please. When I went to Japan on a tour, I always snuck of in the afternoon or evenings so I could explore at my own pace, and check out anything that caught my interest.

Yeah, to be honest I'm kinda glad those 2 arent coming since now my friend and I can do more of the stuff we want to do and we dont have to do the things they wanted to do.
but we've had to recalculate hotel costs for 2 people instead of 3 (and in one case we had to find a new hotel since there were no 2 person rooms available for when we wanted to stay there)

Lord_Zed
30th April 2010, 01:05 PM
So you claim....:p;) hehehehe
Are there like backpackers accomodation in Japan? Coz from the sounds of it, its kinda expensive living there just for a few weeks holiday:( ( excluding the toybuying of course)

There is I believe, There are also guest houses (shared accomidation) In my case though I'm renting a tiny apartment through Sakura house, so I don't have to share and can use it as a home base and to store toys maybe. :D
The rent is ok, no more than here and it's 15 minutes from one of the hearts of town (Tokyo has many).

It is quite exspensive, although he we live in Sydney so were already halfway there. If you go where the locals go, it can be not too bad though, last time I paid less eating out than I would here,transport was cheaper too, if anything toys are the most exspensive part. Ofcourse it varies too, and lots of places charge hideous prices for simple services. Don't go to any restaraunt that the hotel reccomends, they always send you to exspensive fancy places that cost a fortune.

Lint
9th May 2010, 08:02 PM
Impulse holiday! Going to Japan in July, touring Tokyo->Osaka in 20 or so days

I'm gonna test drive some of the tips on this thread Firestorm and hopefully add some more when I return.

Firestorm
9th May 2010, 09:52 PM
Awesome, I hope you have fun over there, and i look forward to your report when you get back

Lord_Zed
3rd June 2010, 10:00 PM
Thought I'd reopen this thread seeing as how I'm in Japan. So far found some cool stuff, and yeah, food, transport and accommodation aren't to bad if you shop around.

I have one toy buying tip though, it pays to roam, so far I fround some awesome TF bargains in the out of the way stores that aren't in a prime location, even saw a ROTF Devestator for around $75 not that I'd want to hall that back.

I even found a store with the Botcon Toys, by which I mean this years Botcon toys. Not cheap though.:eek:

Firestorm
4th June 2010, 02:57 AM
Thought I'd reopen this thread seeing as how I'm in Japan. So far found some cool stuff, and yeah, food, transport and accommodation aren't to bad if you shop around.

I have one toy buying tip though, it pays to roam, so far I fround some awesome TF bargains in the out of the way stores that aren't in a prime location, even saw a ROTF Devestator for around $75 not that I'd want to hall that back.

I even found a store with the Botcon Toys, by which I mean this years Botcon toys. Not cheap though.:eek:

Cool, I hope your having fun over there, I cant wait till I get over threre so i can roam the back streets of Akiba hunting down Transformers .... as well as you know see the sights, try the food, etc

I guess I have an update for my Japan Trip too, I have now purchased my ticket, i will be flying out on the 17th of December 2010 from Melbourne to Tokyo (via Gold Coast) and will be returning on the 22nd of Janruary 2011 From Osaka to Melbourne (Via Cairns)
After buying my ticket my savings for Japan have gone down to $2100 and i still need to find hotels and pay for my Rail pass, then i just need to get money for food and spending, wish december would hurry up and come!!

So how expensive are "ordinary" transformers over there? (Eg an Animated Deluxe)

liegeprime
4th June 2010, 09:02 AM
Cool, I hope your having fun over there, I cant wait till I get over threre so i can roam the back streets of Akiba hunting down Transformers .... as well as you know see the sights, try the food, etc

I guess I have an update for my Japan Trip too, I have now purchased my ticket, i will be flying out on the 17th of December 2010 from Melbourne to Tokyo (via Gold Coast) and will be returning on the 22nd of Janruary 2011 From Osaka to Melbourne (Via Cairns)
After buying my ticket my savings for Japan have gone down to $2100 and i still need to find hotels and pay for my Rail pass, then i just need to get money for food and spending, wish december would hurry up and come!!

So how expensive are "ordinary" transformers over there? (Eg an Animated Deluxe)

hehehe now you literally will be eating Ramen for weeks while in Japan:D:D

iceburn
4th June 2010, 09:29 AM

I doubt there's anything there but i might be wrong. There's a Kiddy Land that you can go to at Akihabara. TFs are expensive there but there's other goodies which you might like to grab.

Takara Animated Toys from what I saw at an expensive place around end March 2010; so budget to grab them below those prices unless you're happy to pay for them at that range.

Deluxes - 1980Y to 2400Y/2415Y
Voyager+Deluxe 2pack - 5985Y
Voyager - 3780Y
Deluxe 2pack - 4700Y
Legend - 1260Y

liegeprime
4th June 2010, 01:38 PM
Lord Zed should post an extensive walkthrough of what/where he's been since he's saying he found cheap finds and what not, would help a lot not just Firestorm here, but those planning sometime to go there.

You mustve gone to the expensive places Icy. I like the beer place you went to though :D:D not that I drink beer, but its a curio place for me.

iceburn
4th June 2010, 01:57 PM
Lord Zed should post an extensive walkthrough of what/where he's been since he's saying he found cheap finds and what not, would help a lot not just Firestorm here, but those planning sometime to go there.

You mustve gone to the expensive places Icy. I like the beer place you went to though :D:D not that I drink beer, but its a curio place for me.

that's a tourist spot that i took down prices for and went to the common shopping area and bought cheaper ones :D so those prices are the max i'll pay if i have the money or if i want all of the Takara Animated TFs

heroic_decepticon
4th June 2010, 02:06 PM
hehehe now you literally will be eating Ramen for weeks while in Japan:D:D

It's now time to reinstate that old sig of your dude!

I doubt there's anything there but i might be wrong. There's a Kiddy Land that you can go to at Akihabara. TFs are expensive there but there's other goodies which you might like to grab.

There're actually a lot of TFs in the Akihabara area (as I'm sure kurdt_the_goat and jetfire would know this too). I've seen recent release TFs in every second toy or game or manga store that I walked into. I paid very little attention to these though and I did price conversions for 1 or 2 items out of curiousity. I remember the worked out to be more or less the same as AU pre-sale retail prices. However, Jap released stuff will be cheaper. :D

iceburn
4th June 2010, 02:37 PM
It's now time to reinstate that old sig of your dude!

There're actually a lot of TFs in the Akihabara area (as I'm sure kurdt_the_goat and jetfire would know this too). I've seen recent release TFs in every second toy or game or manga store that I walked into. I paid very little attention to these though and I did price conversions for 1 or 2 items out of curiousity. I remember the worked out to be more or less the same as AU pre-sale retail prices. However, Jap released stuff will be cheaper. :D

oops... yah my bad. i was thinking about somewhere else!! i.e. Harjuku
yes, Akihabara has lots!!!!!

liegeprime
4th June 2010, 03:32 PM
oops... yah my bad. i was thinking about somewhere else!! i.e. Harjuku
yes, Akihabara has lots!!!!!

Are you sure its not the maids cafes and et al your thinking about Icy?:p;)

iceburn
4th June 2010, 03:38 PM
Are you sure its not the maids cafes and et al your thinking about Icy?:p;)

hahahahaa u saw my photos..what do you think

heroic_decepticon
4th June 2010, 10:00 PM
hahahahaa u saw my photos..what do you think

where? I wanna see.... :D

liegeprime
4th June 2010, 10:07 PM
where? I wanna see.... :D

In his Facebook account , tons of photos some very interesting places he hanged out in:D

heroic_decepticon
4th June 2010, 10:57 PM
In his Facebook account , tons of photos some very interesting places he hanged out in:D

oh, guess that's why. I don't have you guys' facebook contacts... heh.

iceburn
5th June 2010, 12:17 AM
oh, guess that's why. I don't have you guys' facebook contacts... heh.

whats yours

heroic_decepticon
5th June 2010, 01:22 PM
whats yours

heroic_decepticon@yahoo.com.sg

please add me (and leave a quick message with you useID so I know who you are and don't reject)

Lord_Zed
6th June 2010, 12:21 PM

I'll see what I can do when I get back. A lot of the main shops charge like a wounded bull, or are the same as here. There are a few hidden away that were doing 1088 yen Deluxes and the like on ROTF stuff, even found some cheap Binaltechs. There more likely clearance sales of older toys, as I haven't seen any really cheap Animated yet, though Voyagers are still better priced than OZ.

In the non Toy area been to some cool places, including two rather awesome bars, and as someone who seldom drinks thats high praise. I went to Kagaya the maddest bar in Tokyo on Friday. Behind me is the bartender.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/IMG_0910.jpg

Lint
10th June 2010, 04:45 PM
After buying my ticket my savings for Japan have gone down to $2100 and i still need to find hotels and pay for my Rail pass...

I'm taking the same flight route, bar that I actually return to Melbourne from Osaka via gold coast as well. I hope the Jetstar flight is worth the $300 saved from not going with a major carrier.

My advice with hotels is to thoroughly shop around. I found that every day I searched I found a better deal than with the previous day.

In the non Toy area been to some cool places, including two rather awesome bars, and as someone who seldom drinks thats high praise. I went to Kagaya the maddest bar in Tokyo on Friday. Behind me is the bartender.

Admittedly I haven't done nearly as much research on nightspots than I have on toygawking. Any more suggestions on cool places to hang out Lord Zed?

kaiden
10th June 2010, 08:38 PM
how long are you staying for? you could order some revoltech assembleborg there :P (i want the new green one)

Lord_Zed
12th June 2010, 12:59 AM
Well traveled around a couple places in Japan now. Went to the Silver Pavilion in Kyoto, (I've already been to the much more famous gold one). Also went to Hirsohima and Miwa Jima. Stayed in a traditional Japanese Ryokan on Miya Jima and walked down a mountain rather cool.

Just some tips for those travelling to Japan in the future. On the toy front the back srtreets of Akihabara, and Den Den town are still the best places I've found for toys, yes there are some high prices out there, but those who hunt should find bargains. Also Mandarake secondhand stores are also a good place to find bargains, it's all mostly second hand, but its all still packaged.

On the non toy front I've found food in Japan can be quite cheap, as little 540 yen could get you a decent meal like the Katsudon + 100 yen for a salad I had tonight. On the other hand there are some quite fancy pricey meals too. but there easy to avoid. Eat where the working class does if you need to save yen.

Also accommodation so far has been quite cheap around 6000-7000 Yen each a night on average for a quite decent hotel, the one we stayed in at Kyoto was the most impressive bargain, the New Miyako I recommend it right near the station. The Ryokan was more but it was worth it. Entry fees also very cheap, castles, shrines usually set you back around 500-1000 yen on average. Going to the super Aquarium at Osaka tomorrow, probably one of the priciest entry fees I've encountered at 2000 yen, but thats nothing compared to OZ.

On the way to Hiroshima I noticed some cranes (not the bird) around Himeji Castle. Apparently its undergoing major restoration work which will not be fully completed till 2015 or so. So you may want to reconsider visiting there, parts of it will be closed of till 2011 at least I didn't end up going went to the Kure Yamoto ( the ship not the toy company) museum in Kure instead, quite cool. As an alternative to Himeji Castle I recomend Matsumoto Castle I went on Monday, very nice old castle not a rebuilt one. It's not as big as Himeji but its quite pretty and can be done as a day trip from Tokyo. We also got a free quide.:)

Also I can't recommend Miya Jima enough, so pretty and tranquil, spend a day and night there if you can.

Admittedly I haven't done nearly as much research on nightspots than I have on toygawking. Any more suggestions on cool places to hang out Lord Zed?

I've just been following my friend who researched some places, or has previous experience. So far Kagaya's is a cool crazy bar, you need to book though more details when I find his business card. Zoetrope is a whiskey bar in Shinjuku which has a scifi movie theme, trailers of scifi and fantasy films are played on a screen in the background. I've heard there is a Submarine themed bar in Shunjuku too, but I have yet to find it. All these bars are small affairs literally run singlehandedly or near abouts.

I also went to the lock up restaurant, a themed restaurant where the sexily dressed warden leads you in handcuffs to a booth styled like a prison cell. There's some crazy food, and the drinks are strange colours and served in beakers and testubes.

how long are you staying for? you could order some revoltech assembleborg there :P (i want the new green one)

If I see one, can't promise atm.

kaiden
13th June 2010, 01:29 AM
If I see one, can't promise atm.

hah no, i didnt mean for me. and im not sure if you'll see any, as from what i know its bought from their online store and needs to be delivered to a japanese address (for example your hotel) the reason why i mentioned it is because i thought you liked revoltech toys as much as i do - and it would be cheaper to get it while you're in japan rather than through ebay at inflated prices.

im actually waiting for all of wave 3 to come out as a friend will be in japan for an exchange program and so will be able to send me all of them cheaper.

i probably should have posted the images in the revoltech thread, but im so lazy :P

but here it is for you -

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-01.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-04.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-04.jpg)

Lord_Zed
13th June 2010, 01:52 AM
Although I'm pretty sure we had another thread for where to look for TF's in Japan. I found a good place today near the Gundam store in Osaka Denden town. The store is across the road diagonaly opposite the Gundam store. On the second floor there is a whole TF aisle. They have TF's from G1, G2 ,Beast Wars, ROTF, Japanese exclusives, American Exclusives, Botcon, Fans Project, Marvel Comics, old TF paraphernalia, second hand TF's even the newest releases like Powercore combiners a bit of everything. Quite pricey though.

hah no, i didnt mean for me. and im not sure if you'll see any, as from what i know its bought from their online store and needs to be delivered to a japanese address (for example your hotel) the reason why i mentioned it is because i thought you liked revoltech toys as much as i do - and it would be cheaper to get it while you're in japan rather than through ebay at inflated prices.

im actually waiting for all of wave 3 to come out as a friend will be in japan for an exchange program and so will be able to send me all of them cheaper.

i probably should have posted the images in the revoltech thread, but im so lazy :P

but here it is for you -

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_gg-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_gg-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_pp-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_pp-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ss-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ss-01.jpg)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-01.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-01.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-03.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-03.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-02.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-02.jpg) http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/th_cs_ts-04.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/prettyduck/?action=view&current=cs_ts-04.jpg)

Ah ok, I hear its the same with the Revolchip stuff you have to get it posted, they say allow a month for delivery so it's a bit of a risk alas, I'd probably leave before it arrives. The only place I've seen those Revoltech types are at the Kaiyodo store. Not sure I will get any though, my favourite Revoltechs are the humanoid ones, be lucky not to go broke on regular Revoltechs and other toys, I've sourced 3 that I wanted so far for less than 2000 yen.

Firestorm
13th June 2010, 01:56 AM
Although I'm pretty sure we had another thread for where to look for TF's in Japan. I found a good place today near the Gundam store in Osaka Denden town. The store is across the road diagonaly opposite the Gundam store. On the second floor there is a whole TF aisle. They have TF's from G1, G2 ,Beast Wars, ROTF, Japanese exclusives, American Exclusives, Botcon, Fans Project, Marvel Comics, old TF paraphernalia, second hand TF's even the newest releases like Powercore combiners a bit of everything. Quite pricey though.

(mental note, save money for den-den town)

(second mental note, dont spend too much money at Akihabara)

(third mental note, buy more mental notes)

Lord_Zed
13th June 2010, 02:02 AM
(mental note, save money for den-den town)

(second mental note, dont spend too much money at Akihabara)

(third mental note, buy more mental notes)

While last time I went to Japan I found Den Den town had the advantage in terms of discounted items, this time Akihabara had more. Denden town has a better TF store for those hunting specific toys (as far as I know).

But yeah save money for Denden town, I blew a lot today though mostly on other toys.

The best discounts in either place can be found in second hand stores though, Stock is hit and miss but the Japanese are meticulous with these and second hand items are usually sealed and spotless like a mint toy.

Oh I also found a store down and alleyway in Denden town called Astro Zombie i think, it was full of Amercian toys, but including exclusives and web only toys. I found all the Toys R Us Gijoe exclusives as well as the new webstore Ghost busters and He-man toys. To pricey for me but a good resource.

kaiden
13th June 2010, 03:16 AM
Ah ok, I hear its the same with the Revolchip stuff you have to get it posted, they say allow a month for delivery so it's a bit of a risk alas, I'd probably leave before it arrives. The only place I've seen those Revoltech types are at the Kaiyodo store. Not sure I will get any though, my favourite Revoltechs are the humanoid ones, be lucky not to go broke on regular Revoltechs and other toys, I've sourced 3 that I wanted so far for less than 2000 yen.

3 for 2000Y? nice.

a month for delivery? thats quite long for something local. but yeah i didnt know that since im not in japan and had google translate 'sort of' tell me about it.

Lord_Zed
13th June 2010, 06:51 PM
3 for 2000Y? nice.

a month for delivery? thats quite long for something local. but yeah i didnt know that since im not in japan and had google translate 'sort of' tell me about it.

Nah not that cheap, still pretty standard prices, but the standard RRP is over 2000, had to pay full price for the berserk EVA 02 though, as it's very popular.

Lord_Zed
16th June 2010, 01:43 PM
I found a store called monster Toys in Yebisu that sells all western toys. No old stuff though, but some American exclusives though. Its rather popular though most toys seem to sell out fast.

Also I have found even more secondhand stores is Akihabara. All I can say now is do some leg work and you should find them.

liegeprime
16th June 2010, 02:18 PM
we need a map drawn out LZ heheheh:D

Lint
16th June 2010, 02:32 PM
we need a map drawn out LZ heheheh:D

Second that, I'm gonna be living 3 mins from Akihabara in less than a month. Anything to boost hunt efficiency is much appreciated :D

kup
16th June 2010, 02:42 PM
I found a store called monster Toys in Yebisu that sells all western toys. No old stuff though, but some American exclusives though. Its rather popular though most toys seem to sell out fast.

Also I have found even more secondhand stores is Akihabara. All I can say now is do some leg work and you should find them.

Have you seen Japanese exclusive toys like Minerva, Raiden or Metalhawk? If you have, what are their local prices?

liegeprime
16th June 2010, 09:22 PM
Additionally any Tf Myclone sets Zed?:p

Lord_Zed
18th June 2010, 02:28 PM
Maps are problematic seeing as how streets are not numbered. Also stock varies. I have a map of Denden town on a flyer. Ill get someone to scan it in and make a jpeg of it when I get back. Akiba is more all over the place harder to map, also the stock in the second hand stores is totaly random.

Have you seen Japanese exclusive toys like Minerva, Raiden or Metalhawk? If you have, what are their local prices?

Nope, nope and nope.

I did see Deathzaurus and Japanese Fort Max boxed though, but they were at least a grand.

On the non toy front Nikko is another place you can visit as a day trip from Tokyo. I went to the Shrine there the most ornate in Japan as well as Edo Town, which is like a recreation of an Edo village ala old Sydney town when it exsisted. Both were worth the trip from a cultural and entertainment perspective respectively. Hilight for me was the ninja show. A perfectly correographed Ninja battle with sound effects and disco lights. Kinda like watching Monkey Magic live.:D

Lint
18th June 2010, 03:26 PM
On the non toy front Nikko is another place you can visit as a day trip from Tokyo. I went to the Shrine there the most ornate in Japan as well as Edo Town, which is like a recreation of an Edo village ala old Sydney town when it exsisted. Both were worth the trip from a cultural and entertainment perspective respectively. Hilight for me was the ninja show. A perfectly correographed Ninja battle with sound effects and disco lights. Kinda like watching Monkey Magic live.:D

Is it worth the ticket price? I was keen on visiting Edo Wonderland but was somewhat wary of the expense.

Lord_Zed
20th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Depends, It`s hefty at about $55 so more like the cost of that sort of thing in Australia, and really pricey fro Japan.

On the other hand your not going to find an Edo Wonderland anywhere else so I just chalked it up to holiday exspense. So if your peny pinching then no, but if you are having a holiday yes. Id rather go there than some lame generic theme park or Disneyland.

Lord_Zed
22nd June 2010, 03:10 PM
Yesterday I went to Kamakura. Another easy one day trip from Tokyo for those going to Japan who want to do cultural or nature stuff as well as shopping. You can buy a one day pass to Kamakura and back from Shinjuku station (about 1900yen) it also gives you unlimited use of local rail and light rail in Kamakura for that day. Kamakura is full of temples and shrines almost like a lesser Kyoto. It is famous for its giant Buddha as well as several other world heritage temples. Although it isn`t one of the more famous temples, one has caves full of mnay carved stone Buddhas lit by candles, but people of average height cannot stay long lest they suffer back damage.

There is also hiking trails, probably the most stupid thing I`ve done this holiday (aside from splurging on toys:D) was attempt one of the hiking trails shortly after rain. I made it about 2 quarters of the way before it became just to risky and muddy to continue. I almost lost my shoes and got rather muddy. Must have been terrifying for the usually immaculately clean Japanese.

Lord_Zed
28th June 2010, 01:55 PM
I found a Mandarake in Akiharbarra, it has 8 floors, and two floors of toys, one has power rangers and masked rider toys, the other collectors stuff including Transformers. I will try and Mark this one on the mpa when I get back cause there were heaps of TF, including old stuff, Old stuff even Mega Zarrak was very not cheap though.

I have now seen a Minerva in an old eared box, asking price was 10`5000 yen.

PS: I AM NOT buying anything that exspensive on behalf of anybody.

liegeprime
28th June 2010, 03:51 PM
freaking miasma!!! 1300+ for Minerva, geez!:eek::eek:thanks for the effort of mapping these places out Zed! Valuable piece of artifact!:D:D

Firestorm
28th June 2010, 07:16 PM
I found a Mandarake in Akiharbarra, it has 8 floors, and two floors of toys, one has power rangers and masked rider toys, the other collectors stuff including Transformers. I will try and Mark this one on the mpa when I get back cause there were heaps of TF, including old stuff, Old stuff even Mega Zarrak was very not cheap though.

Power Rangers .... Masked Rider ..... Transformers ... other collecters stuff!

oh man i've gotta check that places out when i go to Japan

heroic_decepticon
28th June 2010, 09:01 PM

hey, Madarake Akihabara was on kurdt_the_goat's map. It was the first place I went to when I was in Toyko earlier this year. The google map that he provided to me already has all these places marked out. Don't need to do double work.

Ah, that fabled Minerva. I heard the HK-ers talk about it when I was in HK in April; I heard the Singaporeans talk about it when I was in SG; I heard the Americans talk about it on TFW2005 and yet more Singaporeans talk about it. Horribly yellowed Minerva in bad box right?

Lord_Zed
29th June 2010, 11:11 AM
hey, Madarake Akihabara was on kurdt_the_goat's map. It was the first place I went to when I was in Toyko earlier this year. The google map that he provided to me already has all these places marked out. Don't need to do double work.

Ah, that fabled Minerva. I heard the HK-ers talk about it when I was in HK in April; I heard the Singaporeans talk about it when I was in SG; I heard the Americans talk about it on TFW2005 and yet more Singaporeans talk about it. Horribly yellowed Minerva in bad box right?

Ah good, cause I dont like mapping places, I work on instinct.

And yeah that is probably the Minerva, honestly I saw the price tag and lost interest. The rare count is now Minerva, Deathzaurus, Mega Zarrack and Japanese Fort Max all at over a grand.

heroic_decepticon
29th June 2010, 08:18 PM
The rare count is now Minerva, Deathzaurus, Mega Zarrack and Japanese Fort Max all at over a grand.

I bought my D-93 for $350 in 2007 and I thought that was pushing the envelop. I can't believe that Mega Zarak is over a grand. It is just Scorponok in a different box.

Lord_Zed
30th June 2010, 01:25 PM
The original Headmaster heads in those little boxes are over 100 each, I just assume everything in those sort of windows is over priced.

And yeah I checked it is a yellow Minerva, meh!

Lint
5th July 2010, 12:19 AM
Finally made it to my hotel in Tokyo after an exhausting day of flights. Had a brief walkaround and some food. If i'm lucky i'll get to see the ghibli musuem tomorrow and lots of TFs!

heroic_decepticon
5th July 2010, 12:30 AM
Finally made it to my hotel in Tokyo after an exhausting day of flights. Had a brief walkaround and some food. If i'm lucky i'll get to see the ghibli musuem tomorrow and lots of TFs!

Ghibli museum at Mitaka is great fun. A bit small, but has all the magic of the Ghibli animes and design superbly. Have fun!

Lord_Zed
5th July 2010, 08:36 PM
The Ghibli museum is great, I've been twice now, though I'm still yet to see the Mei and the kittenbus short.

As Heroic Decep said it is a magical place, I love the room filled with Zoetropes, and other old film devices, that room with is pretty music just embodies the magic of film for me, stuff which in some ways modern digital cinema is somehow lacking.

Great place to relax, depending on your time budget you could also go for a walk in the park, and/or got to the beetle museum marked on the map at the Ghibli museum. I cant vouch for the Beetle Museum though as it was closed when I went, I will go next time, and hopefully see Mei and the Kittenbus too.

Also note the gift shop there sells some merchandise unique to the museum. And example is included in the photo below of some of my acquisitions, you can probably guess which one came from the Ghibli Museum, not to mention which came from the Museum at Ueno.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/Minatures%20and%20toys/supanova20052088.jpg

PS: Hows the weather in Japan? I just came back on Satuday and went from hot humid days to cold and dry eep.

Lint
5th July 2010, 10:41 PM
Moderately hot, very very humid. Got totally drenched on the way back from Ghibli. HD was right, the place is small but there are certainly some must see items such as the animation carousel and cat bus room. Only thing I didn't enjoy was how much of a tourist destination the museum is. The place was packed on a 4pm session on a Monday.

Lord_Zed
6th July 2010, 01:17 PM
Moderately hot, very very humid. Got totally drenched on the way back from Ghibli. HD was right, the place is small but there are certainly some must see items such as the animation carousel and cat bus room. Only thing I didn't enjoy was how much of a tourist destination the museum is. The place was packed on a 4pm session on a Monday.

Yeah the room with the carousel and the old cinema stuff is my favourite. It was pretty packed when I went to. I stayed long enough to wait till the crowds moved out of the places I wanted to see.

If you want to see a big museum go to the one at Ueno, and dont forget to go into the projection sphere thingy, that thing was cool, you do have to qeue for it though, but it was worth it, just.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2010, 08:12 PM
guh... Japanese midsummer = F'HOT!!

I've experienced 40 degree heat at precisely this time of year in Japan. It's crazy experiencing such sweltering heat in summer, then sub-zero temperatures in winter! But I do like how the seasons click over like clockwork. Most noticeably when Spring starts. Last day of winter, all the trees are bare, then you literally wake up the next morning and everything's smothered in PINK cherry blossoms like someone just hit a switch! Now _that's_ efficiency! :D

Lint
26th July 2010, 01:25 PM
guh... Japanese midsummer = F'HOT!!

I concur! Glad to be back is cool Australia. Have TF (and non TF) related stuff to report but I'll do that in the other(?) thread.

Lint
6th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Firestorm, heres my breakdown of Osaka.

Sightseeing
Osaka Castle: Unless you're somewhat into japanese history and artifacts the castle museum is actually pretty meh. That said it was too bloody hot for us to wander the whole castle grounds/gardens to appreciate it. The view from the top of the castle is nice. Has english subtitles... where they feel like it.
Kaiyukan (Aquarium): A MUST SEE in my books, if you're a huge proponent for animal rights you may object to seeing 2 whale sharks in a (comparitive to an ocean) small tank. The aquarium is awesome, needs about half a day to fully appreciate. Entry price is worth it. Has english subtitles.
Peace Museum: Don't bother unless you're into WWII history. Will probably take 1 hour of your time to cycle through. Has english subtitles.
Tennoji Zoo: You don't need to be a PETA freak to be disgusted by most of the enclosures in this zoo. Some of the enclosures are really good though and you get to see a very wide variety of animals. Also entry is super cheap! Will take around 2 hours to do the rounds and see everything. Has english subtitles.
Nagai Natural History Museum: Pretty cool if you're interested in the content. Worth the entry fee. Has english subtitles.
Nipponbashi Den Den Town: Traditional asian shopping streets, plus TFs!

General Shopping
Tempozan Marketplace: It's actually just a cool mall. Worth a visit before or after the Aquarium. Theres a heavily ninja/naruto themed shop in there. Theres also an absolutely INSANE shop on the ground floor of this mall selling pop culture stuff.
Shinsaibashi arcade: Really really long shopping arcade. Has everything except toys.
Dotonbori street: Food, cheap stuff, giant crabs, more cheap stuff. Traditional asian street.
Namba Parks: Cool complex just to gawk at. Mostly designer labels + TRU in the basement.

TF shopping
Yodobashi camera, Bic Camera, TRU, any other department store you find: will have the in-season wave of TFs in Japan. When I was there, Animated Blackout and Shockwave were the most exciting stuff around :(
Herogangu: Located on Nipponbashi St in Den Den town. Lots of TF's. Much boxedG1 Love. A lot of stuff boxed and loose from other lines too. Location is on kurdt_the_goat's map, not that you'd miss it, theres a giant billboard above the shop front. WARNING: Closed on wednesdays. You must go to this place.
Jungle: Located on Nipponbashi St in Den Den town. It's one block north of Herogangu and occupies a corner shop front. A smaller selection of TF's but cheaper than Herogangu. Highly recommended.
Joshin Super Kids Land: Theres a few of these around, one is a general toy store, one is totally dedicated to gundam. From memory they only had in-season TF's with one or two pieces of older stuff (encores, sky lynx)
Zombie: Located around the corner of one of the intersecting streets of Nipponbashi. Specialises in 'foriegn' stuff. You'll see a lot of Hasbro TF's at ridiculous prices (4000 yen Drift!). Great if you're homesick.
The next street running parallel to Nipponbashi St to the east Has a lot of shops selling other pop culture stuff (non-tf sadly). I didn't get to explore it much but I found a shop specialising in Ultraman, numerous hobby stores and a lot of anime goods stores.

GoktimusPrime
6th August 2010, 10:08 PM
I've never been to Hero Gangu, but I've seen their ads in magazines... their G1 stuff looks f'expensive (O_O)

Lord_Zed
7th August 2010, 10:05 PM
I've never been to Hero Gangu, but I've seen their ads in magazines... their G1 stuff looks f'expensive (O_O)

It is, however you can find some of the newer Japanese stuff at reasonable prices, Japanese Beast Wars, Car Robots etc. I picked up a second hand Henkei Jetfire for a bargain, and a second hand Rodimus for Kup at a reasonable price given the current desire for that toy.

I far prefer Jungle as mentioned above.

Two things to note all their stock is second hand and they do Duty free.

As for Astro Zombie it had an impressive selection of American exclusive toys, but not cheap.

If it wasn't for the toys I'd find Osaka overrated as a tourist destination. Kyoto and Hiroshima are much nicer.

Lint
7th August 2010, 11:14 PM
It is, however you can find some of the newer Japanese stuff at reasonable prices, Japanese Beast Wars, Car Robots etc. I picked up a second hand Henkei Jetfire for a bargain, and a second hand Rodimus for Kup at a reasonable price given the current desire for that toy.

I far prefer Jungle as mentioned above.

Two things to note all their stock is second hand and they do Duty free.

As for Astro Zombie it had an impressive selection of American exclusive toys, but not cheap.

If it wasn't for the toys I'd find Osaka overrated as a tourist destination. Kyoto and Hiroshima are much nicer.

I concur with Zed, except for Kyoto. That place was a hellhole for me :p
I think I spent an appropriate amount of time in Osaka. Although I didn't do it myself, I hear its a really good base to visit other destinations from (Kobe, Himeji, Kyoto etc)

I forgot to mention for Osaka nightlife I recommend going to the Kama Sutra bar (it's mentioned in wikitravel). It's a little tricksy to find so I suggest doing serious homework beforehand. I went there on a Tuesday night of all nights and had a rockin time. Just dont go too early as its very quiet, but not too late either as the place is cosy to say the least so you may not get a seat.

GoktimusPrime
8th August 2010, 09:16 AM
I really enjoyed Kyoto for the historical stuff. Lost my camera there though. :( Nara is also really nice and not far away. Never been to Hiroshima though -- but I've heard it's the bomb (awkward silence :p). Friday was No More Hiroshima day and tomorrow is the anniversary of the Nagasaki bombing.

Firestorm
8th August 2010, 02:49 PM
Breakdown of Osaka.

Very Informative, thanks Lint

Now I know some very cool places to check out while we're in Osaka

I forgot to mention for Osaka nightlife I recommend going to the Kama Sutra bar (it's mentioned in wikitravel). It's a little tricksy to find so I suggest doing serious homework beforehand. I went there on a Tuesday night of all nights and had a rockin time. Just dont go too early as its very quiet, but not too late either as the place is cosy to say the least so you may not get a seat.

What is the legal drinking age for Japan?

1AZRAEL1
8th August 2010, 02:53 PM
What is the legal drinking age for Japan?

According to Wiki, it's 20.

GoktimusPrime
8th August 2010, 09:05 PM
Yes, it is 20.

mknell
17th August 2010, 10:15 AM
Yay just booked for a 2 week trip to Japan next March, we are hoping to hit Tokyo, Kyoto & Osaka

kay-al
17th August 2010, 12:59 PM
I will be going to Toyama for work in Sept - just wondering if anyone knows of any place there good for toy shopping (TF in particular)?

Lord_Zed
17th August 2010, 01:12 PM
I concur with Zed, except for Kyoto. That place was a hellhole for me :p
I think I spent an appropriate amount of time in Osaka. Although I didn't do it myself, I hear its a really good base to visit other destinations from (Kobe, Himeji, Kyoto etc)

I used to dislike Kyoto too, due to the crowds of toursists, but then I went back there on a Tuesday and it was awesome, ofcourse the fact that we got the most lavish hotel room on our trip for the cheapest cost helped too. I thefore now think Kyoto is a nice place if you can avoid the tourist season otherwise it's no fun.

mknell
17th August 2010, 01:14 PM
I used to dislike Kyoto too, due to the crowds of toursists, but then I went back there on a Tuesday and it was awesome, ofcourse the fact that we got the most lavish hotel room on our trip for the cheapest cost helped too. I thefore now think Kyoto is a nice place if you can avoid the tourist season otherwise it's no fun.

What hotel did you stay at there? My GF & I are planning for a couple of days there but during the week

Saintly
18th August 2010, 11:56 AM
I've finally tracked down where we stayed in Kyoto -> http://www.ikoi-no-ie.com/home-eng.html, just north of Higashi Hoganji

Nice place, has an event calendar of what's happening around Kyoto, shared facilities for most of the rooms but there are rooms with its own toilet.

Lord_Zed
18th August 2010, 08:52 PM
What hotel did you stay at there? My GF & I are planning for a couple of days there but during the week

During the week as far away from Tourist season as possible is best. You can reach most tourist spots easily using buses or trains. Navigation is easy enough if you get a map from the tourist info office.

I stayed in the New Miyako (http://www.agoda.com.au/asia/japan/kyoto/new_miyako_hotel.html?type=3&cid=1009999&url=http://www.agoda.com.au/asia/japan/kyoto/new_miyako_hotel.html&tag=bdc7a46c-887b-4c49-b460-e5e4a83a4c45&OVRAW=kyoto%20miyako&OVKEY=new%20miyako%20hotel%20kyoto&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=5668388542&OVKWID=75011938542&OVCAMPGID=555378542&OVADGRPID=3733118930&OVNDID=ND1) Can't recall the exact rate but it was the cheapest double room we got, even cheaper than Narita, and it made the room at Osaka and Hirsohima look bad in comparison, despite both those rooms being reasonable for the price paid.

Lint
18th August 2010, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't recommend staying at a hotel near the JR station, stayed at the Capsule Ryokan (http://www.capsule-ryokan-kyoto.com) and regretted it. The hotel was nice enough but the area around JR station is pretty bleak and is far removed from the good sightseeing locations.

Although JR station is a central transport hub it will take you 20 mins minimum to go anywhere interesting. If you're planning to see multiple locations, the transit times really do stack up. During busy times the bus rides are not pleasant at all. I do strongly recommend going to the tourist office in the JR station to get a bus map in english. The only real advantage to staying near JR is that you don't have to haul your luggage as far when you arrive and leave.

Shijo-dori (central-east part of the city) is the more central, prettier and livelier part of town. From there, its a much shorter commute to all the tourist spots or you can even do away with public transport completely if you're the walking sort, though I don't know what the weather is like in March. My friend stayed in a hotel around there and, in contrast, had a great time.

kristofferrer
12th June 2011, 03:56 AM
Hi Guys,

for anyone here who has been to japan,
can they recommend any cheap/nice places to stay or visit, look for Transformers?

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2011, 10:28 AM
Which part(s) of Japan are you going to?

kristofferrer
12th June 2011, 12:22 PM
I'll be frank - my partner just purchased a ticket and told me i was going this Thursday. I have virtually no plan except to visit the tokyo toy show.

I'm guessing I'll go to Tokyo and Osaka and i wouldnt mind seeing the Himeji Castle.

gdmetro
12th June 2011, 01:41 PM
I'll be frank - my partner just purchased a ticket and told me i was going this Thursday. I have virtually no plan except to visit the tokyo toy show.

I'm guessing I'll go to Tokyo and Osaka and i wouldnt mind seeing the Himeji Castle.

Cool.

HD just posted an awesome guide for shopping for Tfs in Osaka:
http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2011/06/heroics-osaka-transformers-toy-shopping.html

He also has previous posts on tokyo.. but I cant find the link right now.

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th June 2011, 03:38 PM
How long you got? Akihabara is interesting, Shibuya, Harajuku are al close and have good shopping amoungst other things.

Lots of awesome castles and shrines in Kyoto and quite a bit around Himeji as well. I had an awesome history holiday when I was over there last!

Near Hakone in the vicinity of Mt Fuji is a sekijou. Which they rebiult, its pretty much a travellers checkpoint set up in the Tokugawa era and is fascinating to walk around. there is also one of the Toy Museums in Hakone too, but it focuses more on Tin toys and earlier.

kristofferrer
12th June 2011, 03:48 PM
Cool.
HD just posted an awesome guide for shopping for Tfs in Osaka:
http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2011/06/heroics-osaka-transformers-toy-shopping.html
He also has previous posts on tokyo.. but I cant find the link right now.

Thanks GD - this is actually very helpful!

How long you got? Akihabara is interesting, Shibuya, Harajuku are al close and have good shopping amoungst other things.
Lots of awesome castles and shrines in Kyoto and quite a bit around Himeji as well. I had an awesome history holiday when I was over there last!
Near Hakone in the vicinity of Mt Fuji is a sekijou. Which they rebiult, its pretty much a travellers checkpoint set up in the Tokugawa era and is fascinating to walk around. there is also one of the Toy Museums in Hakone too, but it focuses more on Tin toys and earlier.
hey TC, Im not even too sure what my budget is going to be like. All i know is im being sent there without any plans, for about 3.5 weeks. hoping there's nice cheap accomodation or something like that. I should get a map and plan a circuit though i heard the transportation is expensive.

Ode to a Grasshopper
12th June 2011, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently doing up business cards for an upcoming trip to Japan, can anyone tell me the correct characters/translation for:
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Cultural Studies
and
Graduate Diploma of Education (Adult and Tertiary)?

I've managed to get most of my translating for them done using Google Translate and cross-checking with a Japanese phrasebook, but the uni qualifications are proving a bit tricky.
Cheers all.:)

liegeprime
12th June 2011, 07:41 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D nice cuz!!! Happy trip!!! pics pics ha! that is awesome news!!

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2011, 11:58 PM
Ode to a Grasshopper: replied here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=247498#post247498) :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th June 2011, 09:49 PM
Cheers Goki.:)

gekisou
16th June 2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/

I would advice this chain of shops.
When I was in Japan, I loved them. Totally awesome and picked up some stuff really cheaply.

mknell
16th June 2011, 01:23 PM
Yeah Mandrake is the bomb, it was oh so awesome
Check out my Japan sightings thread here for some places:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=10868
So any idea on where you will be staying at?

kristofferrer
19th June 2011, 04:27 AM
http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/

I would advice this chain of shops.
When I was in Japan, I loved them. Totally awesome and picked up some stuff really cheaply.

oooh, im going to check out the one in shibuya and osaka.

Also, i was wondering if somebody could translate the following for me. I've been using internet in my hotel but i'm not sure if i have to pay for it (or if it's standard to their service). Also i'm wondering if they offer laundry service. I know this sounds silly :p

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1822/translate.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5905/clothesj.jpg

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th June 2011, 03:24 PM
I found out my placement for Japan today: Izumi City, Osaka.
It sounds perfect, half an hour away from Osaka proper by train, small and quiet ("sometimes seen as a countryside place because there's not much to do besides go to restaurants or karaoke" - suits me fine), nice liberal university nearby with a large exchange student population, and a few hundred kms away from the recent disaster area.

GoktimusPrime
19th June 2011, 04:58 PM
Odie: おめでとうございます!

kristofferer: That first sign says that it costs 1000JPY per night to use the hotel's PC - see reception. Doesn't say if there's any additional charge for internet usage, but you'd better ask just to be sure. The second sign says that if you want to use the laundry, then please wait at reception before 09:30AM. The laundry is closed on Sundays and public holidays.

kristofferrer
19th June 2011, 07:20 PM
Odie: おめでとうございます!

kristofferer: That first sign says that it costs 1000JPY per night to use the hotel's PC - see reception. Doesn't say if there's any additional charge for internet usage, but you'd better ask just to be sure. The second sign says that if you want to use the laundry, then please wait at reception before 09:30AM. The laundry is closed on Sundays and public holidays.

Gok, you're a life saver! Thanks for translating it for me.

I found out my placement for Japan today: Izumi City, Osaka.
It sounds perfect, half an hour away from Osaka proper by train, small and quiet ("sometimes seen as a countryside place because there's not much to do besides go to restaurants or karaoke" - suits me fine), nice liberal university nearby with a large exchange student population, and a few hundred kms away from the recent disaster area.

Ode, I'll be in Osaka from Monday - Thursday. i'm not sure when you're going to be there but if you're in the same vicinity as i am i can meet up for Sake or Starbucks :p

Gok, once again thanks.

GoktimusPrime
19th June 2011, 11:18 PM
Gok, once again thanks.
Oh my services don't come free. I'll be expecting a free toy upon your return! If you go to Mandarake, get me an Autoceptor (the Japanese equivalent to Time Warrior!) :D

jkz :p ;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th June 2011, 01:29 AM
Ode, I'll be in Osaka from Monday - Thursday. i'm not sure when you're going to be there but if you're in the same vicinity as i am i can meet up for Sake or Starbucks :pI head off on the 27th July, but have fun dude.:)

kristofferrer
20th June 2011, 01:35 AM
...Oh my services don't come free...
ooh, like a geisha!
you and i should catch up over sake eh?

I head off on the 27th July, but have fun dude.:)

drats. yeah it's been raining till kingdom come everywhere.

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th June 2011, 02:05 AM
Ode, I'll be in Osaka from Monday - Thursday. i'm not sure when you're going to be there but if you're in the same vicinity as i am i can meet up for Sake or Starbucks :pI head off on the 27th July, but have fun dude.:)

EDIT - welp, can't delete the double post, but...had the JET Q&A session today and it sounds like a blast, they even arrange the acommodation (both in general and during the Tokyo orientation) so now it's just filling out forms, making sure I can get my prescribed Ritalin through with a Yakkan Shoumei and learning basic survival phrases...

Also, Japanese workers told to beat the heat with Hawaiian shirts (http://www.npr.org/2011/06/09/137009383/japanese-told-to-beat-the-heat-with-hawaiian-shirts)
In an amazing coincidence, guess what totally extraneous item of clothing I've had a penchant for and have been collecting ever since going to Brazil about 10 years ago?:D

Jetfire in the sky
3rd October 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi guys, I know there are probably tonnes of threads on this but unfortunately I don't have the time to go through them. I am currently in Japan, Nagoya to be exact until Monday, if anyone knows of any great TF shops here please let me know. Also I will be in Tokyo in two weeks time so same goes. Any Info will be very much appreciated.

Jetfire in the sky
3rd October 2012, 09:35 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific, I am a G1 collector of US and Japanese, love boxed stuff. Also collect MP's and Alt's/BT's

liegeprime
3rd October 2012, 11:28 PM
Here's a link to Heroic Decepticon's blog, particularly his toy shop locator guide for Japan, Singapore and HK. Hope it helps you, as this is the guide used by almost all the people here who went to Japan... there may have been some newer shops now coz this was last year's but IM sure it's all still there.

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/heroics-toy-shop-locator-guide-for-hong.html

comes with some maps too so it is a very useful guide.

griffin
3rd October 2012, 11:50 PM
Store guides can be found here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586)... and recommended Japanese stores can be seen here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5534) and here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11556).

valkyrie_76
4th October 2012, 01:24 AM
The only one in that area I know is Mandarake (http://www.mandarake.co.jp/en/shop/ngy.html).

Too bad your not in Osaka or Akihabara.

Ode to a Grasshopper
4th October 2012, 07:45 AM
I live in Osaka (so I won't be much help with Tokyo or Nagoya, sorry) and use HDs maps. They're pretty good.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 09:36 AM
Just messaged a contact in Nagoya... see what he says. I've personally never been to Nagoya, but it's not too far from Osaka - we had two people from Nagoya bullet train it to Osaka for the fan meet there earlier this year. :) If you go to Osaka and you can speak Japanese, you can haggle with staff at Hero Gangu (which is a rarity in Japan -- you can't haggle at other places). :D

Otherwise you can go to any regular toy departments or toy stores (e.g. TRU) etc. to check for current stuff like Masterpieces.

Jetfire in the sky
4th October 2012, 09:41 AM
Great info guys, thank you so much. I was just in Osaka but it was overnighting only. Won't have time to get back there :-(

kristofferrer
4th October 2012, 09:52 AM
GO TO OSAKA, stay at this hotel called Hilary's

and you're virtually in the heart (i.e. neighbor or across the road) of all 3-4 big TF stores. also their other stores (like priceline/kmart) sell upcoming figures as well for cheap. Once I got 3 United voyagers for 15AUD each!

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 08:35 PM
Okay, my mate in Nagoya got back to me and recommended checking out Oosu (大須), which he says is Nagoya's equivalent to Ipponbashi in Osaka. He also recommended these places:
Russy (http://www.russy.co.jp/)
Mandarake (http://www.mandarake.co.jp/shop/index_ngy.html)
Spanky (http://www.spanky.co.jp/shop.html)

Jetfire in the sky
4th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks heaps Gok, went to that area tonight, had about five heart attacks when I went into Mandarake :p
Saw Russy as well, will check out Spanky when I go to Mandarake to make some choice purchases tomorrow night (time permitting)
I have travelled to many countries around the World and I am a fan of many but this place despite a language barrier most of the time has been a blast so far. Lets see how they put an F1 Grand Prix on in the next few days :D

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks heaps Gok, went to that area tonight, had about five heart attacks when I went into Mandarake :p
Hahaha, yeah. It's like a collector's not-very-dry dream. ;) Their G1 stuff's pretty f'expensive, but some of their other stuff's alright. I got a loose complete in box Vibrant Red Alternity Convoy for approx 3000JPY and a Transformers Animated single CD for about 400JPY. :) One thing I admire about Mandarake is their open policy on knock offs. Look carefully at all the G1 boxed stuff, if you see a hand-written sticker with 海賊版 written on it, that means it's a KO. Now I don't agree with people selling KOs, but at least they're openly honest in informing customers that the toy is a fake. At least, that's what the Mandarakes in Osaka did -- if you're not sure, just ask them 「海賊版ですか?」("Kaizokuban desu ka?"). They won't lie to your face about it unlike some toy dealers I encountered in China :mad: (they'll show you a weirdly coloured KO that's super obviously fake, and lie till they're blue in the face that it's legit :mad:).

I have travelled to many countries around the World and I am a fan of many but this place despite a language barrier most of the time has been a blast so far.
All I know about the Nagoya dialect is... say デラ (dera) in front of everything. :p
e.g.
デラ高いですよ ("Dera takai desu yo") (That's heaps expensive)
この玩具はデラ海賊版だ ("Kono omocha wa dera kaizokuban da") (This toy is heaps fake.")
孫コンボイの名古屋弁はデラうまくないんだ ("Son Convoy no Nagoyaben wa dera umakunainda") (Goki's Nagoyanese is really not good) :p :p
Considering that I've never been to Nagoya, my Nagoyanese is probably way off... here are some probably far more reliable sites on their language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagoya_dialect
http://mediazone.tcp-net.ad.jp/MISO/EBITENW/NB/
http://kikuko-nagoya.com/html/nagoyaben.html

Jetfire in the sky
5th October 2012, 08:31 PM
Good Bye Megatron and Thank you Japan and OTCA members for steering me in the right direction. One very happy camper :D:D:D:D

jazzcomp
26th November 2018, 02:08 PM
Do Japan shops accept paypass? Or do you have to sign for and or pin for credit card purchases?

Maruten
27th November 2018, 10:50 AM
I was there a year ago and IIRC I generally had to sign.

Not that many places take cards anyway!

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2018, 12:17 AM
Actually I've found that cards are becoming increasingly accepted in Japan. But yeah, they are still very much a cash-preferring society. :) Don't forget to carry your passport to get tax exemptions. Also, will you be arranging any meetups with fans? (AFAIK we haven't had a Japan meet since 2016 (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23195))