PDA

View Full Version : eBay bidder display change?

STL
22nd February 2008, 11:32 PM
Browsing through eBay, I noticed eBay has taken out the ability to look at who else is bidding. It just lists numbers now instead of the username. I can see the merits of that but I'm also annoyed.

In the past, it's helped me to know who I'm up against and what amounts the bidders are likely to put up so I can figure out if it's worth pursuing.

A bit annoying but I can see at least it'll also reduce the change of us knowing if we bidded against one another.

autobreadticon
22nd February 2008, 11:36 PM
yeah its kinda annouying, people like cosmiclad and asian syndicates sniper bidding items when they sell items where they believe they get a crap profit. So they can resell at a later time.

Borgeman
22nd February 2008, 11:47 PM
well there you go everyone - every man for themselves :P

George

griffin
23rd February 2008, 02:55 AM
That's unusual. They used to only do it for auctions that went above about $100. Maybe they got some good feedback to it, and decided to do it to all auctions.

STL
25th February 2008, 03:06 AM
My biggest concern is going up against a powerseller. Basically guys who buy up big lots. I just don't want to go into a bidding war with one of them with no idea that I am. I have won against them several times but other times I just pull out cos it's just outta my tolerance.

Soundwarp
25th February 2008, 07:18 AM
Wow that only just changed. My wife was bidding on Saturday and you could still see the names then.

MV75
25th February 2008, 12:25 PM
Mmmm, yes, it seems to have been done across the board now.

It's become shill bidding paradise now. Have a look at a "bidder" s history, and it lists the sellers they bidded on as seller1, seller2, etc. They should have made sellers names available to figure out shills.
________
ZOLOFT PRILOSEC NEXIUM (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

jaydisc
27th February 2008, 09:39 PM
I've noticed this over the last few days... this sucks.

MV75
27th February 2008, 09:42 PM
I have noticed though that if you bid, they'll then show the other bidders ids at the end of auction, but all you then have to do is have private feedback on an account like the very one I just saw. The "winner" had hidden feedback.

So, any decent ebay alternatives out there?
________
Michigan marijuana dispensaries (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

1orion2many
27th February 2008, 10:04 PM
:)I'm in the middle of bidding on something in the U.K and it is still showing peoples I.D's over there at the moment:). I like looking at peoples feedback to see what they have bought lately and for how much, the last couple of items I have won had people that bought a bit of everything which to me meant they were resellers of items that they could get at a low price. This gave me more confidence to bid on some items:D.

jaydisc
27th February 2008, 11:14 PM
Interesting... there are some items that I was the first bidder and I can see the names of all other bidders.

However, I just did a little bid on an item that already had a bidder and accidentally am now the high bidder, but am still unable to see the names of those that bid before me....

It seems to be tied to the origin of the seller. If the item is listed specifically on ebay.com.au, the bidders are hidden.... WTF?

STL
28th February 2008, 01:41 AM
Likewise. O/S it's fine but is this a trial run with Australia first? Seems very odd.

Saintly
28th February 2008, 09:01 AM
Might be offtopic... but I was reading the MX yesterday... ebay has made a deal with AusPost that if an item is paid by PayPal and the item goes missing, the seller or buyer will be able to get a full refund if the seller can proof with receipt that it has been posted.

STL
29th February 2008, 11:33 AM
That is pretty terrible. I mean it operates the same as the existing deal that if you pay via Paypal you're covered right as long as seller has 98% + feedback?

What I want to see is some sort of protection for those who pay via bank deposit. I can see that's an easier way of getting screwed over.

Saintly
29th February 2008, 12:40 PM
I supposed EBay (errr I meant PayPal) just want to give more business to PayPal...

Bank Deposits works well for me so far.

STL
29th February 2008, 02:02 PM
I supposed EBay (errr I meant PayPal) just want to give more business to PayPal...

Bank Deposits works well for me so far.

Paypal's fine with me but for a lot of seller's it isn't. And that's what bugs me about it. I don't mind more business to Paypal but the problem is that a lot of sellers then don't offer it b/c it means they incur costs on their end.