PDA

View Full Version : Bushfires

Bartrim
31st August 2009, 05:32 PM
As everyone is probably aware there are bushfires down on the South Coast. My family and I were some of the few who were evacuated on Saturday night. Thankfully we appear to be past the worst of it and are going back home tonight after work.

Here is the youtube footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkTgDODbu1E&feature=related

I am there in the dark blue t-shirt watching the helicopters pick up water from the reserve directly behind our house. My cousin Jessica gives the interview.

i_amtrunks
31st August 2009, 06:10 PM
Well thats a bugger to hear, I thought you would have been a few clicks north of the fires, far away not to be evacuated anyways.

I think I saw your cousins interview on channel 7 this morning, and I've seen odds and ends of that stock footage on a couple of channels now.

Hope you get back home tonight, and the roads open up again soon, it's got to be a big pain in the rear for business.

1AZRAEL1
31st August 2009, 06:13 PM
Damn ay, glad to hear everything is alright though.

Sam
31st August 2009, 06:35 PM
I am glad to hear you and your family are safe.

Sky Shadow
31st August 2009, 06:41 PM
Glad you're okay - I hope you and your kin (and the landscaping!) stay safe.

The_Damned
31st August 2009, 07:07 PM
glad to here you are safe didnt even know there was bushfires up near you :o

Kyle
31st August 2009, 08:40 PM
Glad you and your family are safe.

Fungal Infection
31st August 2009, 10:07 PM
For some perverted reason, when I read the thread title, I was thinking of an STD..... :o

Vector Prime
31st August 2009, 10:35 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that... stay safe mate!

kup
31st August 2009, 10:39 PM
Good to see you and your family are ok and that you are going back home soon.

Golden Phoenix
1st September 2009, 01:08 AM
Good to hear your safe

Bit early for bushfires though aint it?

Bartrim
1st September 2009, 07:47 AM
Good to hear your safe

Bit early for bushfires though aint it?

Yes it is. However I'm glad it happened now and not in Summer when it gets up over 30degrees.

We are safe and sound and back home. The road opened back up just in time for business yesterday:D

Thanks for all the well wishes guys:)

1AZRAEL1
1st September 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes it is. However I'm glad it happened now and not in Summer when it gets up over 30degrees.

Good for back burning :D
I know this summer is going to be a scorcher, just hope we don't get too many bushfires.

I remember one year Boxing day 2003? when the escarpment in the Illawarra was ablaze just up from my parents place. My dad got us outta bed at 7am to get up on the roof and clean the gutters out, so many leaves and stuff that woulda caught fire if there was an ember that landed in it. Was pretty hectic.

Then that night I remember staggering home drunk from my mates place after watching horror movies and drinking until 4am. Looking up at the fires, it kinda looked like the fire worm (13th Warrior reference :p) but it was really bright.

Anyway enough of memories, its good to hear your safe.

G1Optimal
1st September 2009, 05:28 PM
glad to hear, that the danger has passed for now Bartrim.:);)

"now wonders, if any of those helicopters was "Blazemaster" with a new paint job";):D:p

i_amtrunks
1st September 2009, 05:41 PM
Good for back burning :D

The best thing about the fires coming through now is that it not only less dangerous in terms of lives available to lose (from memory Burrill Lakes is very much a holiday house area), but also means that they wont get any large bushfires during the summer peak.

If the next 3 months are as dry as the past 3, we are looking at another really bad Bushfire summer in Sydney. :(

G1Optimal
1st September 2009, 08:53 PM
The best thing about the fires coming through now is that it not only less dangerous in terms of lives available to lose (from memory Burrill Lakes is very much a holiday house area), but also means that they wont get any large bushfires during the summer peak.

If the next 3 months are as dry as the past 3, we are looking at another really bad Bushfire summer in Sydney. :(

Although, i don know what i am talking about here :o:confused:, but.....
I kind of expect it( just like floods during/after droughts, when there is long or/and heavy rainfalls. ). ;)

Though i hope, any potential Bushfire in the future "dose" not get to a point...
To be as bad, as that "Disaster Scenario" on the Discovery Channel (or was it National Geographic, i can't remember:confused:) where the bushfire reached all the way to Sydney CBD.

Robzy
1st September 2009, 11:23 PM
Glad to hear you're safe mate!

roller
1st September 2009, 11:37 PM
Time to move away from Ullawhere barto

if fires are effecting it, it must be a remote remote remote place, moreso then WA ?

G1Optimal
5th September 2009, 01:36 PM
Time to move away from Ullawhere barto

if fires are effecting it, it must be a remote remote remote place, moreso then WA ?

"or" they get one of these
Evergreen International Boeing 747 super tanker firefighting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvBRWTumoZI&feature=related
(interesting bits, are from from 2:13)

and see if that helps, before he moves away from there ...;)

"If anyone has balls to fly it, that is".:eek:

fatbot
5th September 2009, 01:59 PM
how many times have i told you to stop playing with matches bartrim? You'll learn, eventually :p although i'm glad you , the missus, both kids and everyone else is safe!