PDA

View Full Version : lurkers

Autocon
8th September 2009, 01:52 AM
so many poeple are finally registering after lurking for so long
WHY DID THEY WAIT!!???!! its a good example for all other lurkers to register!! and join in the crazy tf fun:cool:

i call forward all the lurkers of otca to register!!:D

WELCOME!!!!

Vector Prime
8th September 2009, 06:54 AM
so many poeple are finally registering after lurking for so long
WHY DID THEY WAIT!!???!!

Probably something to do with only having limited or no access to various sections (eg Swindle's sales yard).

They've probably discovered after registering that they still aren't automatically given access either. :D

GoktimusPrime
8th September 2009, 12:24 PM
I have a friend who's been occasionally lurking here for years (some of you met him at the Sydney IMAX premiere and Lord_Zed knows him IRL ;)).

He's not really a Transformers fan (remembering that fan is short for 'fanatic') but merely someone who has a fairly casual and limited interest in Transformers. He doesn't attend Transformers meets (he only came to the IMAX premiere cos I offered him my spare free ticket :D). He sometimes lurks here just to check the NSW sightings and doesn't really have any interest in any other part of the board.

I guess some people just like interacting more passively - reading threads/posts and just don't feel like they have anything to add or may not want to add anything. <shrug> Some people may just like to watch before deciding on whether or not they want to register.

Deonasis
8th September 2009, 05:49 PM
I lurked here and on international boards for quite a while until I was confident I found the 'right community/best board' for me.

It's a pity all those lurkers can't have cool shades like these :cool:.. These :cool: cool shades are only available to members.

SOUNDBLASTER
8th September 2009, 09:11 PM
On the tfnz boards we get faction symbols. autobot, decepticon, maximal, predacon and unicron. even cooler than GLASSES (http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/hannahclapham/2005/05/29/gav_in_ridiculous_glasses.jpg)

And no thats not me . :D

tinyJazz
8th September 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm still lurking. :B

liegeprime
8th September 2009, 10:58 PM
Well there's a voyeuristic appeal to it I guess. :D:p

Autocon
8th September 2009, 11:37 PM
Probably something to do with only having limited or no access to various sections (eg Swindle's sales yard).

They've probably discovered after registering that they still aren't automatically given access either. :D

hehehe:p

stomps around trying to squash itty bitty tinyjazz

d*r*j*
9th September 2009, 11:45 AM
I lurked for a while before I signed up.
There are 2 real advantages for me;
1. ability to ask questions to mastercollectors who are also fans (griffin, gok, jgon)
2. Access to sales page.

The rest is all the usual collectors non-sense of everyone trying to out-do everyone else. I have no interest in meets, etc, because I am in melbourne and it seems that the majority of the melbourne-ites on the board have very loose collecting morals.

dirge
9th September 2009, 12:18 PM
Meets etc are useful for networking, but of course it's up to the individual if they wish to meet other fans. I try to encourage fans to interact and form relationships for that reason. My collecting is pretty stagnant at the moment since I've completed G1, but I'm always keen for meets so I can encourage others in their collecting (:

There will, of course, always be differences in viewpoint of course. But yeah, building a network of contacts for trades/group orders etc can be a useful thing. And hey, you might even make new friends out of it.

BTW, I'm not trying to argue with you d*r*j*, merely offering encouragement & a positive view. It's up to others - lurkers or otherwise - if they wish to interact.

kaiden
9th September 2009, 12:31 PM
By the time I have something to say in a thread, someone else has already said it :p

Currently, I mostly use the world news section to keep somewhat up to date on stuff. But I really dislike movie Transformers and their toys so there isnt really much for me to contribute in that area.

The other would be the sales section. I've bought a few off other members already and am slowly finishing the takara henkei line. (its so hard :mad:)

so im still lurking...

d*r*j*
9th September 2009, 12:48 PM
BTW, I'm not trying to argue with you d*r*j*, merely offering encouragement & a positive view. It's up to others - lurkers or otherwise - if they wish to interact.

When I first joined up, Dirge, you were the most welcoming person on the forum. Haven't noticed you that much recently... must be down to you not actively collecting... maybe it's down to me not actively collecting(?)!

I dunno, I also enjoy the general things in the forum... these are the type of things that are general to most of the forums I post (or lurk) on. Of course it is enjoyable to hear people's view on things, especially when you have some idea of their individual personalities.

I have a lot of time for griffin. I worked a similar job to him, at a supermarket (Safeway) distribution centre, and know how demanding his employment is. He is generous with his knowledge and makes repeated efforts to be fair and even handed. It is just a shame that the actions of a few effect the way he is able to operate this website.

Sky Shadow
9th September 2009, 12:48 PM
it seems that the majority of the melbourne-ites on the board have very loose collecting morals.

Is that when collectors don't marry their toys before sleeping with them? :D

kup
9th September 2009, 12:50 PM
I lurked for a while before I signed up.
There are 2 real advantages for me;
1. ability to ask questions to mastercollectors who are also fans (griffin, gok, jgon)
2. Access to sales page.

The rest is all the usual collectors non-sense of everyone trying to out-do everyone else. I have no interest in meets, etc, because I am in melbourne and it seems that the majority of the melbourne-ites on the board have very loose collecting morals.

I can't speak for Melbourne since I have never attended a meet there but in Sydney meets we don't see any of that. We all just start talking about transformers and we do show of our in hand loot but not to brag or inspire jealousy in others. The ambiance is actually pretty friendly and most people are usually engaged in some TF related discussion or another without comparing or criticizing each other's collection or collecting habits.

d*r*j*
9th September 2009, 12:57 PM
Is that when collectors don't marry their toys before sleeping with them? :D

*When you argue with, threaten, intimidate and harrass sales staff.
*When you push your way into and/ or enter backroom areas of a store, to look for things not on the shelves, especially when such stores generally employ younger staff.
*When you keep discounted toys misb with the specific intention of swapping that toy with another retailer not offering a sale.

Sky Shadow
9th September 2009, 01:08 PM
*When you push you way into and/ or enter backroom areas of a store, to look for things not on the shelves, especially when such stores generally employ younger staff.
*When you keep discounted toys misb with the specific intention of swapping that toy with another retailer not offering a sale.

Ah, I see now. (I get how those activities could be deemed to be morally 'loose'. Although I'm still somewhat amused by my 'no Slumblebee until marriage' interpretation. :))

d*r*j*
9th September 2009, 01:18 PM
Ah, I see now. (I get how those activities could be deemed to be morally 'loose'. Although I'm still somewhat amused by my 'no Slumblebee until marriage' interpretation. :))

That's without getting on to the misb/ mosc collectors. I can understand the vintage collections, even envy some of them, and even the graded collections that some have... Having a house/ collection that simply looks like a well stocked Target, I don't get. But, of course, that has nothing to do with morals...

TheDirtyDigger
9th September 2009, 02:12 PM

What about 'seduce?

*When you push your way into and/ or enter backroom areas of a store, to look for things not on the shelves, especially when such stores generally employ younger staff.

Does 'sneak into' count here? Oops...guilty as charged! I feel so bad about it now that it's been pointed out by the morally righteous. :o

Yeah I can't believe some people would try and save money. It's f***ing ridiculous.

1orion2many
9th September 2009, 02:53 PM
:confused:How dare they have a difference of opinion to you DD:p:D

d*r*j*
9th September 2009, 02:56 PM
What about 'seduce?

Does 'sneak into' count here? Oops...guilty as charged! I feel so bad about it now that it's been pointed out by the morally righteous. :o

Yeah I can't believe some people would try and save money. It's f***ing ridiculous.

Thanks for agreeing with me TDD... I feel even more righteous with your support. haha.

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2009, 03:08 PM
I personally love attending meets, fairs, conventions and other social events with fellow Transfans. In fact, my primary reason for attending these things isn't to buy/swap toys but just to be in the company of fellow fans. :) When it comes to collecting TFs, this is something that I can happily do on my own. Having contacts very helpful, but isn't absolutely essential. For me the main advantage of attending meets is for the social interaction. :)

dirge
9th September 2009, 04:44 PM
When I first joined up, Dirge, you were the most welcoming person on the forum. Haven't noticed you that much recently... must be down to you not actively collecting... maybe it's down to me not actively collecting(?)!

Well, it's partly down to me not collecting, partly because I've stepped away from board staff reponsibilities (which means I don't need to read as many threads) and partly because I've met a significant other, so I'm spending less of my free time at home on my own :)

I dunno, I also enjoy the general things in the forum... these are the type of things that are general to most of the forums I post (or lurk) on. Of course it is enjoyable to hear people's view on things, especially when you have some idea of their individual personalities.

Yeah I enjoy the discussions as well - even if I participate slightly less. TBH I don't read many of the sales posts, though I do follow sightings. I do enjoy seeing different POVs as well, and I must say yours is one which stands out quite a bit.

I have a lot of time for griffin. I worked a similar job to him, at a supermarket (Safeway) distribution centre, and know how demanding his employment is. He is generous with his knowledge and makes repeated efforts to be fair and even handed. It is just a shame that the actions of a few effect the way he is able to operate this website.

Yeah I can back that up, having been a moderator here. It's not _what_ stance people take rather how they choose to present their stance here that causes friction. Case in point is your aversion to fan meets. You're clearly quite happy to let others enjoy them, and just steer clear - rather than try to impose your own POV on everyone else. That sort of tolerance to difference of opinion saves griffin (and co) a lot of work :)

As for the morals thing, it's not so much about what people do, but how/if they publicise it.

blackie
9th September 2009, 11:47 PM

You self righteous bastard.

I CANT BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD EVER CONSIDER TRYING TO SAVE MONEY YOU EVIL MAN. YOU SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO BUY A TOY AT SALE PRICE EVER AGAIN!!!

I cant belive you would even think of doing something so low, underhanded, improper, shady, downright evil, and most of all IMMORAL!!

Sky Shadow
10th September 2009, 12:48 AM

I do get the point, and I know d*r*j* phrased it kind of... pontifically... but joking aside though, surely there are both moral and amoral ways for us to save money. On a small scale, yesterday I ordered two pizzas, went down to the store to pick them up, left with them and it wasn't until I was halfway down the street that I realised that they hadn't asked me to pay for them. At that point, I could have kept walking and they'd continue to be none-the-wiser as I saved $14, or I could have done what I did and go back to the store and let them know the pizzas hadn't been paid for. (The pizza-people were kind of surprised that I went back and told them, actually.) Obviously that sort of thing and choosing to or not to exchange toys at a different store to the one you bought it from isn't the same scale as Nigerian bank scams, laundering money, burglary etc. Still, surely something that resembles scamming or pilfering is arguably unethical, regardless of how big or small the scale may be.

blackie
10th September 2009, 01:02 AM
Obviously that sort of thing and choosing to or not to exchange toys at a different store to the one you bought it from isn't the same scale as Nigerian bank scams, laundering money, burglary etc. Still, surely something that resembles scamming or pilfering is arguably unethical, regardless of how big or small the scale may be.

that nigerian was scamming me????
he told me i was the cousin of the king and i had to pay a $1000 withdrawal fee for my inheritance..... :'(

kaiden
10th September 2009, 01:16 AM
that nigerian was scamming me????
he told me i was the cousin of the king and i had to pay a $1000 withdrawal fee for my inheritance..... :'(

that same nigerian told me asians were originally from nigeria and that i was the next in line to be king! then he told me my fee was 100k because i was going to be a lot richer than the cousin of the current king...

TheDirtyDigger
10th September 2009, 09:52 AM
... but joking aside though, surely there are both moral and amoral ways for us to save money.

Morality is purely subjective and what one person deems as moral righteousness should not be foisted upon anyone else.
An actively religious man with syphillis eating holes in his grey matter may see the slaughter of sexually active post-pubescent girls as morally righteous.

Closer to home however, one might believe giant, transnational corporations to be the personification for the true evils of the world and any chance to strike a blow, no matter how small, against them to be the righteous duty of the truly free.

d*r*j*
10th September 2009, 10:10 AM
Morality is purely subjective and what one person deems as moral righteousness should not be foisted upon anyone else.
Are you suggesting that I was foisting my desire to keep a hobby like toy collecting pure, of morally corrupt behavior, upon you? I was simply and obviously stating that I only participate to a certain level because of my own beliefs and judgements.

Closer to home however, one might believe giant, transnational corporations to be the personification for the true evils of the world and any chance to strike a blow, no matter how small, against them to be the righteous duty of the truly free.
I guess it would give meaning to your thoughtless consumerism if you could dress it up in some kind of Robin Hood type romance?

TheDirtyDigger
10th September 2009, 10:15 AM
Are you suggesting that I was foisting my desire to keep a hobby like toy collecting pure, of morally corrupt behavior, upon you?

Nah.

I guess it would give meaning to your thoughtless consumerism if you could dress it up in some kind of Robin Hood type romance?

Exactly.

griffin
10th September 2009, 11:41 AM
Topic closed due to unresolvable issues (as per the userguide).