PDA

View Full Version : Buying a home

kurdt_the_goat
10th September 2009, 04:17 PM
Well this probably belongs in the "i need to vent" thread, but i think i need to do more than vent!

My wife and I have been renting for around 5 years - 10 mins from the city, 2 min walk to the foreshore. We decided to get a house after our rent went up quite a bit more than normal.

First we started looking at established, only to realise that because of the First Home Owner Grant, a million other people were also looking at established. We'd rock up to home opens with heaps of rabid hunters. Ultimately we'd be disappointed in A, B, C, D and so on with the house.. just so many variables to consider. The most disturbing of course being price, not that we can't afford a decent house, but that the price varies so much according to suburb. Tiny little unit in one suburb, 600m2 virtual farm in a different suburb, both the same price.

So we started looking at building, and on initial inspection it seemed easier, and we could get more/newer for our money. Then we realised there is virtually no land available in any of the areas even remotely close to the city. Finally we found a lot, and a home design that would be fine. We went to sign and realised the lot is Strata title, and comes with $1500 a year or more fee, and all the other crap that goes along with it. No worries, there's a green title lot in the same estate, just the shape is a bit odd. We speak to the builder and they can accomodate, so it's all looking good. Then the builder checks the restrictive covenant and the house is 25m2 too small for the lot according to those rules! This is where we're at now.. seeing if they can relax some of the guidelines to allow us to put a smaller house on the lot... or find a new lot, or build a bigger more expensive home. And no-one is returning my calls! I feel like i've got this extreme sense of urgency just to capture a bit more from the First Home Owner Grant, whereas everyone else involved is walking at a snails pace!

Or, just keep on renting like i never needed a bloody home in the first place! We have no kids for the moment and short term future - My immediate need for space is wholly derived from the amount of toy boxes overflowing in my wardrobe :)

I'm starting to question whether this is really worth all the hassle, i mean this is only the beginning!

kup
10th September 2009, 05:05 PM
Everyone knows my view on this but if you plan to have a family in the future it may be worth it - particularly for your kids in the long term.

The thing is that there are lots of people going crazy trying to buy a home at the moment, so many that they won't really look after you as a costumer as if you leave, they would inmediately get another. The rental system is also like that since there is so much demand that if you leave because you don't want to pay excess rent - 2 dozen people are waiting in line already and willing to pay more than you.

In Sydney there are even rent auctions with the guy willing to pay the most rent getting the place. My rent has gone up $65 in one year and I have to take it as moving out would mean me having to pay even more for a smaller run down place as rent costs have hit the roof in just a few months but it is still much easier to manage and affordable than a mortgage on a single income.

MV75
10th September 2009, 07:22 PM
Make up the space with one mother huge rear covered area. :)

Fungal Infection
10th September 2009, 08:45 PM
The way I see it, if you don't intend to have kids anytime soon, buy a house now. Once you have kids, money will become an issue. I had an investment property which I had for 6 years before selling it earlier this year and now me and the missus are looking to buy our own place proper to live in. However, we've found that it requires alot of monetary sacrifice considering we have a very young daughter. Thank god we sold the investment property for a decent profit otherwise the mortgage on our own place would kill us. While we are still looking for our own place, we have the luxury of looking at more properties because of the money we have saved/earned.

yukitora
11th September 2009, 03:21 PM
dude, just flatten your boxes, and get rid of the plastic. you'll be suprised.
its what i had to do. we rent a lot and i got a toddler too! (also have other collections that arnt tf)

GoktimusPrime
11th September 2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with yukitora. Having said that I usually don't flatten my boxes - I throw most of them into the recycling bin. :p What few I keep clutters the closet in my collection room. ;)

Just remember that those boxes are full of _air_ and you're basically paying rent/mortgage to house packaged air.

kup
11th September 2009, 04:51 PM
Wait 40 years and your MIB boxed air will be worth a lot! 20 years ago who would have thought that 600ml of water in a bottle would be pay commodity! :p

Lint
12th September 2009, 02:23 AM
I feel like i've got this extreme sense of urgency just to capture a bit more from the First Home Owner Grant, whereas everyone else involved is walking at a snails pace!

Oh don't you worry, you are not alone. Its a mad house

A bit less-so this past week and possibly this week too due to finals fever.

Sam
12th September 2009, 10:59 AM
It's hard to say if you should or shouldn't. But I think if you can afford it now, and are thinking of having kids in the future, then get a place now, because it will probably only get more expensive in the future.

kaiden
14th September 2009, 09:37 AM
Don't buy a home rushing through things otherwise you're gonna get screwed. Because they don't care about you, but about how much money you have and how fast they can have it. They probably don't even like Transformers - so be careful of them...

Autocon
15th September 2009, 12:34 AM
dont think ill ever be bale to buy my own home unless i win lotto:(

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2009, 12:11 PM
Well, we put an offer on some land and it's been accepted!
We're still slowly crossing off points on a massive checklist until this nightmare is over, but now that we have land i feel more comfortable than i thought I would! My plastic bubbles will live long and prosper!

kup
15th September 2009, 10:15 PM
Remember that it belongs to the bank until you pay it off.

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement :rolleyes:

optimus1
15th September 2009, 11:43 PM
Have u managed to have a property valuer, surveyor and solicitor check it over?

The valuer will let u know if u are paying 2 much
Surveyor will tell u if the block is the right size/shape etc for what u r paying
Solicitor will let u know if there are any hidden costs, extra payments etc in the contract.

Also, r u buying in a brand new estate? There might b restrictions on the type and size of house u can actually have built on it.

kurdt_the_goat
16th September 2009, 12:07 AM
No, no and no. There's seriously no time to do it even if you wanted to - the agents only hold the land for a couple of days cause they've got a constant stream of people interested. We just lucked out since someone's finance fell over, so we picked up a good block that was otherwise gone for good.

We're looking in area that is sadly land depleted at the moment. Based on our own research around that area, the price of land, i think... well, we were willing to pay it, so i guess it must be a fair price in our mind. Compared to some other lots, that didn't come with front landscaping or fences, you could say it was more than fair.

If there are hidden costs in the contract, they are hidden very well, i re-read it plenty of times! We have a mortgage broker who has kept us well informed of what we'll need to pay above and beyond the initial land price.

It is not a brand new estate, although not many houses are up yet. We know the restrictions on the land and are pretty certain the house we're looking at will have no problems.

optimus1
16th September 2009, 12:17 AM
No worries, at least u got what u sort of expected.

Yeah, Im a bit iffy whenever it comes to buying something brand new, sometimes in new places some services might not be available yet. Hopefully shouldnt be any probs with a block of land. Hopefully there are no hidden easments/pipelines/contaminated land/flood/bushfire affectation issues!

Jus a little advice from a former property valuer :)

Good luck anyway mate

kurdt_the_goat
16th September 2009, 12:28 AM
Cheers! Yeah we saw the plan that locates the easements, there's nothing for us to worry about. My wife actually called the water corporation on that topic too :)

Kyle
16th September 2009, 08:03 AM
Congratulations man! Hope the rest will be smooth for you guys. :)