PDA

View Full Version : Keeping TFs MISB no longer the best investment?

griffin
24th February 2008, 09:58 PM
I've been following this topic on usenet (alt.toys.transformers) in the last couple of weeks, and thought it very informative for all fans to know how best to preserve their toys for as long as possible.
The topic was about the main elements that deteriorate plastic in toys, and the surprising one (to me) was the third one - contact of different plastics (like the toy in a plastic bubble, both carded or boxed, because there are *dozens* of different types of plastics). UV light from the sun had been common knowledge, and Fluro lights is a little bit more disputable, but the contact of plastics has me thinking that in the long term, a figure out of packaging is going to be better off than one in packaging. So not only figures that have batteries a ticking timebomb, but now collectors with MISB/MOSC (Mint in Sealed Box/Card) figures could now be sitting on toys that are slowly eating themselves away. But in the short term, their value won't be affected, especially by anyone wanting to buy them to keep sealed for display purposes. This topic just counters any claim by sealed collectors that their figures are better off in the long term. Not something to suddenly panic about, but older figures and transparent ones are already being found to be affected in their sealed packaging.

The issue with clear Transformers has been raised too, in that figures are showing yellowing in their sealed packaging, but it is uncertain if that is due to plastic-plastic contact, or some small exposure to UV or fluro lighting to start off the process (it might not take much to affect clear plastic).

One thing that concerns me is that Fluro lighting could be deteriorating or yellowing my toys, and in a few years time, the tradition lightbulb will be illegal in this country (the law was passed last year to help counter the greenhouse effect), so it could mean I should get UV resistant perspex doors attached to my display cases to protect them from my fluro lighting.

The google groups topic link:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/alt.toys.transformers/browse_frm/thread/fae725a0b21c4f5b/cf6a9cc913bbf119?hl=en#cf6a9cc913bbf119

Some of the highlights of the topic:

Going thru some research material recently (after having a conversation with a starwars collector regarding his storage methods for figures...breathing was involved), I came across a few notes I took regarding issues you can have with how you keep your tfs:
1) flourescent light damages them. (seen them yellow when displayed under one for a few years...even when the light is six feet away)
2) sunlight damages them. (we've all seen this happen to that jetfire left outside)
3) contact with other plactics...ie, their bubbles, damages them.
(elvin pena's clear prime is a fine example of the yellowing from this
process)
However, noting #3 above, it occurs to me that even a ziplock bag touching
my tfs is probably not a good idea. To say noting of their inability to
breathe in a rubbermaid tote/ziplock bag. Should I switch to
archival-quality plastic, such as the type used on my old comics (and old
tfs)? Should I go back to the wooden drawer or plastic drawer system?

I'm uncertain of the reason toys would need to "breathe" while in long-
term storage. I'm not a physicist, but wouldn't the exchange of
particles in the air contribute to entropy; i.e., oxidation of the
screws and metal pins, chemical breakdown of the plastics, etc.?

I've been annoyed at how my Action Master weapons have discolored.
The easiest example is Grimlocks tank/cannon. The orange trigger
faded years ago. Oddly enough, this isn't true of the rest of the
orange plastic. Just the trigger. Other Action Masters weapons that
use this orange plastic have similar issues: certain whole plastic
pieces are faded, but others aren't, even if they appear to be the
same color to start with.

I keep my Takara Clear Screamer in it's box w/its plastic trays (all in a cupboard) , and admittedly have noticed some mild yellowing of
the clear plastic . :-/
It never occurred to me that it was because of the contact with it's
plastic trays -- but now you've made me wonder if I should remove the
toy from it's packaging .

While working on a project a few years back I discovered that all of my
beast era stuff that was encased in ziplocks had yellowed substantially,
ruining hundreds of units. Also, I had a G1 Red Alert that was downgraded to Yellow Alert with a touch of Brown Alert (and I'm not really sure what
that means... but I bet it's not pretty.)
I also was looking at the missiles for my OmegaPrime/God
Magnus/whateverthehell they call it clear sparkly giftset recently, which I
had foolishly left in the plastic tray. They are discolored on any part
which was touching the packaging. Those parts are basically irreplacable, but I wonder how all the sealed ones have fared... badly I suspect.
You need pvc-free plastic materials to store a toy for any long period.
Since the plastic used on the bubbles and inner packaging the toys came in is *NOT* pvc free, eventually those units left sealed will deteriorate,
which is yet another good reason to collect loose units. I'm sure you've
all seen the pictures of nice minty units that are horribly yellowed on the
bubble. This is the fate of all sealed toys. It's only a matter of time.
Climate and storage precautions will help stave off the eventuality... but
never stop it.

Wait, waitwaitwait. Come to think of it, I actually *have* seen an
example of this happening. I finally decided to bust open my carded
Star Wars Episode I version of R2-D2 because I needed it for a
project, and I was surprised to discover that the little flip-open
panels on his body had turned yellow. I figured they'd just used a
bad batch of glue to assemble him or something, but in light of this
recent discussion I wonder if it had to do with being in the packaging
for so long. (And that toy has only been in storage for eight or nine
years.)

It gets better, Zob. The toys themselves are also not PVC free. Google
MEGO toys for some great examples of toys literaly eating themselves up due to the chemicals used to create them.
Vintage GiJoes (60's, not 80's) also get "pinhead" syndrome, where the head shrinks due to being different plastic than the body.
Granted, that's 40 years... but G1 Transformers are halfway there.
In the case of your R2, it was likely the softer plastic used on those
panels that felt the effects first. Did the toy itself or the packaging
cause it? Who knows... but it puts the MISB collector into a more rarified
and even more tenuous market.
My *beautiful* MISB Pepsi Prime's box was all wrinkled up when it took it
out to inspect it a few years back thanks to some unknown humidity issues at my apartment. It just about killed me. I still didn't open it, but I know that the Styro will also eventually eat the toy... so it has to come out sometime.

Regarding #3, Yes, contact with other plastics can cause plastic to yellow, but more often than not, this yellowing starts with the bubble
or packaging. If you notice the packaging starting to yellow, take the
toy out of the package! The value of the toy will drop further in the
package than out of the package at that point.
The toys themselves don't need to "breathe", but the Ziploc bags need to
breathe, else they will start to turn yellow and damage the toys inside.

I guess the moral of the story is that our toys were really never
meant to last forever, so we should not expect them to. Perhaps, we
could seal them in glass cases filled with inert gases, but what would
be the fun of that? I suppose that is what we get for considering our
toys as long-term investments (either for pleasure or money) rather
than taking a more accurate, transient view of them ... here today,
gone tomorrow.

I agree with the last sentiment - to me, they are and will always be, just toys, not an investment. I'll play with them as much as possible while I still can, because none will last forever, and if I ever grow out of collecting them, at least I had as much fun as possible from them.

autobreadticon
24th February 2008, 10:31 PM
good read, i have been reading about how to keep t/f in good shape and some of the things are a little disturbing.

i store my tfs on a self and because of the depth of the shelf , the shelf casts a shadow , constantly moving the tfs so each time the tfs are expose to different shades can çolour'your transformers.

also humidity in the air and bacteria in the air (inc. dust) can also age your tfs.

These things i am not really sure off, but are interesting things i read along the way.

Also preventing rust is another problem, i watched this BBC science show that a chemist used a metal sharper to kinda use it to oxidise the metal (NOT SURE) . But rust from vapour in the air or moisture from your hands is always a problem. i found out from a 2nd hand mini-bot that strangely one side of the wheels had alot of rust wear while the other did not. So i as thinking of positioning or using other metals in kinda an electrolysis to prevent rusting.

But I believe if premittable remove clear transformers or other, from the plastic and storing it that way, rather than in the factory plastics. The main dangers is that the plastics has chemicals that is causing the problems.

MV75
24th February 2008, 11:02 PM
UV and heat. That's it really.

You're much better off tinting your windows and putting curtains up over them.

Eventually though, you'll want to get rid of the fluro energy savers and get LED lighting instead too.
________
Buy Silver Surfer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2008, 12:01 AM
they are and will always be, just toys, not an investment.
QFT!

If you want to invest, buy shares!

Soundwarp
25th February 2008, 07:25 AM
Wow i actually read a long post for a change.

Very informative.

Saintly
25th February 2008, 11:30 AM
an excellent read! as well as informative!

iceburn
25th February 2008, 11:35 AM
sorry if i've missed reading some parts but does it also cause figures inside boxes to turn yellow if they are kept out of the sun in boxes as i've currently stored them in??? or isit because they will turn yellow since they already have initial contact with the sun rays before?

MV75
25th February 2008, 12:03 PM
If you keep it out of uv and heat, then it should be fine.
________
SATANISM, THE CHURCH OF SATAN ADVICE (http://www.religionboard.org/satanism-church-satan/)

Robzy
25th February 2008, 12:11 PM
Wow! Very interesting!

Paulbot
25th February 2008, 12:30 PM
But who buys Transformers as an investment? :) :P

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2008, 12:41 PM
so your best bet is to stick all your MISP Transformers into cardboard boxes, stick them in a dark closet, attic or basement and throw in a regular supply of mothballs, roach baits, ant baits and rodent traps/baits!

...what a really boring way to enjoy your collection! (more like a stock inventory than an actual collection) :p

I personally just don't see the fun in keeping toys sealed.

MV75
25th February 2008, 12:41 PM
Me. But only a few of them. :) Nothing serious.
________
Silver surfer vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

Pulse
25th February 2008, 03:01 PM
Fitting in with the theme of this topic (well, sort of) is this post I found over at a blog which takes on a comedic form http://pleasesavemerobots.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-constantly-wonder-why-do-i-like-toy.html#links

iceburn
25th February 2008, 03:21 PM
its only temporarily for my collection now...
they will be out soon enough

autobreadticon
25th February 2008, 04:21 PM
transformers are good art, like a scuplture

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2008, 11:00 PM
...only that they're fun to play with! :p If Michelangelo's David had 10 points of articulation, could transform into a chariot and shoot spears from his butt, as if you wouldn't want to play with it!

Renaissance Force!(TM) http://www.world-mysteries.com/david.jpg Collect them all!
Sculptures and paintings sold separately. Colours may vary from product pictured in catalog. All Rights Reserved.

sifun
26th February 2008, 12:27 PM
only reason why lots of my newer figures are MISB is that I don't have any room to put them on display. Pity

kup
26th February 2008, 01:43 PM
only reason why lots of my newer figures are MISB is that I don't have any room to put them on display. Pity

I have fallen into that category. When I get Sky Lynx and MP Skywarp, I will be forced to take them out of the box when I want to play with them and then putting them back when I am done since I have no freaking room left!

My 87 Headmasters are all over the place, just taking any free spot that is available.
________
Ford cortina (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Cortina)

kup
26th February 2008, 01:56 PM
Fitting in with the theme of this topic (well, sort of) is this post I found over at a blog which takes on a comedic form http://pleasesavemerobots.blogspot.com/2008/02/i-constantly-wonder-why-do-i-like-toy.html#links

The people commenting on that blog say that when they die, they will bury themselves with their collection, Egyptian Pharaoh style.

That would be kind of cool, being buried in a tomb filled with your toys only to be found 2000 years from now and be placed on exhibit in a British museum with all your collection.
________
Cb500 cup (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB500_Cup)

Tiby
26th February 2008, 06:45 PM
Excellent read! Thanks Griffin!

liegeprime
27th February 2008, 04:26 PM
The people commenting on that blog say that when they die, they will bury themselves with their collection, Egyptian Pharaoh style.

That would be kind of cool, being buried in a tomb filled with your toys only to be found 2000 years from now and be placed on exhibit in a British museum with all your collection.

That is if a legitimate explorer for some future museum would be digging you tombsite. What if.... grave robbers come a knockin? heheheh :D:D or worse they might think ... "man those people got buried in a dumpsite, look at all these rotting plastic rubbish the bones are buried under :D"

1AZRAEL1
9th December 2009, 02:22 PM
That was actually a good read, I only just discovered this thread lol.

Makes me glad that I don't collect MISB lol

pheonix83
9th December 2009, 02:54 PM
after reading this i think the term MISB needs to be changed to something more appropriate.

maybe
YISB = Yellowing in sealed box

kup
10th December 2009, 04:32 PM
Thinking about this topic: I have to disagree that keeping toys MIB are worse off than loose toys.

To this date, I have not come accross an MIB 20+ year old toy that is worse off than its good condition loose counterpart.

However I am in agreement that there is no point to keeping toys MISB unless you are a 'transitionary' collector or only see 'what they are worth' in your collection.

That is why I don't agree with that guy in the 40 year old Virgin movie - He was clearly only collecting for the money value and on top of that he sells them because some dumb chick tells him too.

Linthart
10th December 2009, 04:55 PM
so it could mean I should get UV resistant perspex doors attached to my display cases to protect them from my fluro lighting.

Griff you could start with what i did being getting UV treated perpex covers for your lights and windows. would be a much cheaper excerise that full size cabinet doors. Perspex is more expensive than glass by the square meter in many cases.

i just had it all cut to size from a perspex distributor

5FDP
10th December 2009, 06:29 PM
However I am in agreement that there is no point to keeping toys MISB unless you are a 'transitionary' collector or only see 'what they are worth' in your collection.

Sure there are people into collecting MISB with an intent to sell them off later and hopefully make a profit. Sure there are 'transitionary' collectors who are not in it for the long haul. I myself am a MISB collector and neither of the above are my motives for collecting.

I do not care about the monetary value of my collection aside from having it insured in case of theft. I have also been a long term fan and can't foresee when I'll stop either because Transformers has been such a big part of my life.

The reason for me collecting MISB is I appreciate the amount of effort and design that goes into making the packaging as much as I appreciate the engineering of the toys. It's all about nostalgic value to me and one is as important as the other. You can't deny gazing at a MISB collection and not help but reminisce about when you were a kid walking into a toyshop for the first time and seeing wall-to-wall Transformers. For me, it's about recreating that experience of wonder and awe.

reillyd
16th February 2010, 11:07 PM
after reading this i think the term MISB needs to be changed to something more appropriate.

maybe
YISB = Yellowing in sealed box

Yes, that's absolutely right. You need to list all your G1 MISB items (like NOW!) in this thread http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=13 and give very reasonable prices because they're all so yellowed already that you want to sell them to us real cheap ;P

Skullcruncher
17th February 2010, 10:16 AM
Has anyone got anything AFA'd and noticed its started yellowing after being graded? Would this occur?

kup
17th February 2010, 10:30 AM
Has anyone got anything AFA'd and noticed its started yellowing after being graded? Would this occur?

I was under the impression that the clear cases where they place AFA toys was designed to avoid yellowing.

Sky Shadow
17th February 2010, 10:36 AM

Unfortunately it can - even though the items are supposedly UV shielded, the reaction that is photodegradation can still occur.

1orion2many
17th February 2010, 11:39 AM
Well there's a complete waste of money then:eek::D

Skullcruncher
17th February 2010, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately it can - even though the items are supposedly UV shielded, the reaction that is photodegradation can still occur.

Rats well thats some to look out for all the AFA collectors out there!

5FDP
17th February 2010, 12:15 PM
Well there's a complete waste of money then:eek::D

Agreed. I never thought that AFA grading was worth the money anyway. I have bought cases off of them - for US$20 each, only because I have run out of room in my display cabinet and it's the only way I can avoid them becoming dusty. The cases have a sliding bottom (unlike the graded ones) so the toy can be removed whenever you like.

griffin
17th February 2010, 01:35 PM
I think the plastic can still progressively yellow, due to it's exposures (light, chemicals, smoke, humidity, contact with other plastics) before it is protected by the UV cases. It'll slow the process, but I'm thinking that if the plastic has started deteriorating before it is encased, it could well continue to yellow as the plastic bonds continue to break down.
I think AFA grading is only a protective measure if you do it as soon as the toy is released.

reillyd
17th February 2010, 02:29 PM

I know some comic collectors have complained about mold growing on CGC'd slabbed comics, if they aren't stored right.

snazzbot 101
26th February 2010, 10:36 PM
I can appreciate why people collect MISB - there's a certain fresh-off-the-shelf look that appeals to me as an Appreciator of Toys. And no doubt we all have memories - both actual and imagined - of being a kid and skipping hither and yon amongst pegs awash with row upon row of boxed and plastic-bubbled Wonderment.

But MISB for profit? I don't get it.

This is not a long term investment. This is plastic. It is slowly and inexorably, being destroyed. You can talk about keeping it out of the sun and sealing it in perspex and not feeding it after midnight and it all may help. But it is supposed to deteriorate. On an atomic level it's eating itself alive.

It's supposed to do this. It's the way of things.

None of what we do truly matters. We will all become Powder.

But before then I want some cool toys that I can have fun with.

kup
1st March 2010, 12:29 PM
I can appreciate why people collect MISB - there's a certain fresh-off-the-shelf look that appeals to me as an Appreciator of Toys. And no doubt we all have memories - both actual and imagined - of being a kid and skipping hither and yon amongst pegs awash with row upon row of boxed and plastic-bubbled Wonderment.

But MISB for profit? I don't get it.

This is not a long term investment. This is plastic. It is slowly and inexorably, being destroyed. You can talk about keeping it out of the sun and sealing it in perspex and not feeding it after midnight and it all may help. But it is supposed to deteriorate. On an atomic level it's eating itself alive.

It's supposed to do this. It's the way of things.

None of what we do truly matters. We will all become Powder.

But before then I want some cool toys that I can have fun with.

If the toys are vacuum sealed and kept away from UV rays then they could in theory last forever :)

5FDP
1st March 2010, 12:56 PM
After reading snazzbot 101's post, I'm not so much worried about my Transformers but more myself now. I don't want to become 'powder'... :(

That was probably the most depressing reply I have ever read which started off as a discussion about keeping toys MISB.

kup
1st March 2010, 03:45 PM
After reading snazzbot 101's post, I'm not so much worried about my Transformers but more myself now. I don't want to become 'powder'... :(

That was probably the most depressing reply I have ever read which started off as a discussion about keeping toys MISB.

Simple- Get yourself mummified or vacuum sealed. :p

5FDP
2nd March 2010, 08:25 AM
Simple- Get yourself mummified or vacuum sealed. :p

I always told my wife that I want to be stuffed and seated on the couch.... just the way she remembers me ;)

feralthecat
3rd March 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi guys. just thought I'd add my two cents.
Most plastics, including pvc, ps and abs are formed with large hydrocarbon chains (hydrogen and carbon atoms). Both these atoms love combining with oxygen, as in water (h2o) and carbon dioxide (co2).
Over time this will cause structural degredation to almost all plastics. Heat and UV light will speed up this process. The addition of other chemicals (flame retarding and colourings) will also speed up this process. This is the major cause of "yellowing". The process can be retarded or slowed by addition of a UV resistant, WATER based clear coating or varnish.
As for different grades of plastics contacting one another, this will, over time, definately cause degradation and in extreme cases, different plastics will "weld" themselves together. I've noticed this on my own 25 year old plastic model kits.