PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of 'Transformers' (1986 animated movie) on Blu-Ray?

Sleeve
15th September 2009, 10:28 AM
Howdy all.

I finally picked up a PS3 yesterday and figured if there's going to be at least one or two movies I buy on Blu-Ray it'll be 'Transformers'. I know the video quality of the live-action is superb so I'm definitely getting it, but I wanted to know what the quality of the original animated movie is like. It's an all-time favourite which I have multiple copies of (VHS and DVD), so naturally I thought I'd buy it again for Blu-Ray.

Does anyone have it, and if so is it worth the $30?

Vector Prime
15th September 2009, 11:40 AM
I've got it on Blu-ray and it's not bad... not as crystal clear as some of the later CGI animated movies but I think it's a marginal improvement on the DVD version.

It also depends on how big your TV is, if your TV's sub-40inch and you already have the DVD version, don't bother getting it.

On my 52" True HD, there is a noticeable difference between the DVD & the Blu-ray versions.

GoktimusPrime
15th September 2009, 11:45 AM
<--doesn't own bluray or HD :( All donations welcome. ;)

Sleeve
15th September 2009, 12:31 PM
I've got it on Blu-ray and it's not bad... not as crystal clear as some of the later CGI animated movies but I think it's a marginal improvement on the DVD version.

It also depends on how big your TV is, if your TV's sub-40inch and you already have the DVD version, don't bother getting it.

On my 52" True HD, there is a noticeable difference between the DVD & the Blu-ray versions.

I have a Panasonic 32" LCD, and the quality of the PS3 is beautiful even on a screen that size. I might run my DVD version through it and see what the upscaling is like first before I buy a Blu-Ray version.

And Gok, less money on TFs means more money for high-def. :p

Vector Prime
15th September 2009, 12:41 PM
I have a Panasonic 32" LCD, and the quality of the PS3 is beautiful even on a screen that size. I might run my DVD version through it and see what the upscaling is like first before I buy a Blu-Ray version.

Is the television HD or True HD?

Either way, I trust that you are running it through a HDMI cable?

It's not really worthwhile spending $30 on the Blu-ray version if you've got it already on DVD (upscaling should look fine on your size telly).

You're better off getting another title which you don't already have.

Get something like Spiderman 3 (or something else loaded with CGI effects) if you really want to impress your mates when they come around! :D

ITZTRU
23rd September 2009, 09:52 PM
So did you actually end up buying this for your ps3?
I bought it just today. Im loving the improvements but I can't seem to access any of the extra features on the ps3, im not sure why. I don't have any other blu ray players to test on...just wondering if you were experiencing the same problem? I can access the menu but when i choose an option it does nothing and the opening menu sequence just stops and starts again...

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2009, 08:56 AM
And Gok, less money on TFs means more money for high-def.
I'd rather have the toys thanks. :)

Jhiaxus
25th September 2009, 03:28 AM
Is the blu-ray version only widescreen? Because if it's not full screen you're losing a massive amount of the picture.

The_Damned
25th September 2009, 04:28 AM
i reckon the blue ray version looks a lot btr then then the dvd. well worth the cost even if you have the dvd ver.

SGB
29th September 2009, 10:26 PM
but I can't seem to access any of the extra features on the ps3, im not sure why. I don't have any other blu ray players to test on...just wondering if you were experiencing the same problem? I can access the menu but when i choose an option it does nothing and the opening menu sequence just stops and starts again...
You're not the only one this has happened to:

http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=27353