PDA

View Full Version : New Transformers ongoing series - November

Trailer Park Ninja
19th September 2009, 10:50 AM
Hey all,

Saw this post on comicbookresources about new ongoing series launch of Transformers in November by IDW Publishing. Nice cover art but I'm not feeling the semi-organic face look.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22988

SOUNDBLASTER
19th September 2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah those faces are definatly looking kinda bizarre.. Bot artwork looks pretty cool though :cool:

primatives
19th September 2009, 01:43 PM
isnt this going to be done by Don????? He's artwork at Dreamwave was awesome!! Pity they never got to complete it!! I get very frustrated at what that series could have been :( Maybe he changed his style for this one, I dunno.

SMHFConvoy
19th September 2009, 05:00 PM
isnt this going to be done by Don????? He's artwork at Dreamwave was awesome!! Pity they never got to complete it!! I get very frustrated at what that series could have been :( Maybe he changed his style for this one, I dunno.

He's changed it recently. There was an issue of All Hail Megatron where the new look appeared. It'll probably evolve a bit more...

GoktimusPrime
19th September 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm glad they're making it an ongoing series. Not a fan of the f'ugly faces. They should rotate between different artists.

kaiden
19th September 2009, 06:09 PM
I thought the 2 Transformers Movies were already bad enough with their designs, but why make the autobot all look like they're decepticons with all those evil faces?

Bumblebee looks like he's gonna take a bite out of ravage...

GoktimusPrime
19th September 2009, 06:23 PM
I like the movie aesthetics (they give the movie TFs an exotic otherworldliness and their "organic" streamlined bodies allow for more practically realistic range of motion), but I don't like the way that Don's trying to blend it with Neo-G1... it's like mixing oil and water.

Movie Transformers don't go around bearing crap-eating grins. (-_-)

i_amtrunks
19th September 2009, 06:50 PM
So they have gone with the worst TF art in the IDW run (AHM #13 story 1) for the ongoing.

No surprise since they will want to run off the back of the movies success, but it's a style I cannot endorse. So unless the writing is simply superb, I'll be skipping the IDW comics from now on. I had been looking forward to the ongoing lifting the Transformers comic back to the level it was pre McCarthy, but with the art style now confirmed my last vestige of interest has been sapped.

1orion2many
19th September 2009, 09:43 PM
:(Not pretty is it:(

Autocon
19th September 2009, 09:51 PM
yuk at the faces

SMHFConvoy
20th September 2009, 11:11 AM
You know what's odd?

The fact that the art for the Bumblebee mini will be more G1. Also Zander Cannon's writing it. Don't know what he'll bring to the TF table but I've always enjoyed his work.

kup
20th September 2009, 08:48 PM
I can live with fugly faces as long as the stories are good.

snaketales
20th September 2009, 11:05 PM
The new art style makes it look like the Autobots are all gritting their teeth... or they have "skull" faces.
Either way, this new style isn't to my liking either

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2009, 09:16 AM
I can live with fugly faces as long as the stories are good.
I agree. After all, G2 was awesome in spite Manny Galan. :)

kup
21st September 2009, 12:20 PM
The new art style makes it look like the Autobots are all gritting their teeth... or they have "skull" faces.
Either way, this new style isn't to my liking either

Bludgeon doesn't look unique anymore.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2009, 12:57 PM
Perhaps they're all pirates now. Hey, wasn't it International Talk Like A Pirate Day recently?

Lord_Zed
21st September 2009, 01:18 PM
I like the movie aesthetics (they give the movie TFs an exotic otherworldliness and their "organic" streamlined bodies allow for more practically realistic range of motion), but I don't like the way that Don's trying to blend it with Neo-G1... it's like mixing oil and water.

Movie Transformers don't go around bearing crap-eating grins. (-_-)

I agree, plus the faces made up of multiple compnents make more sense than the stretchy rubber ones of G1. However when I read a G1 comic I want it to have a G1 asthetic including the more cartoony elements, trying to mix toon and live action to much just looks wierd.

In any case, although Nick Roche's new Kup story was good, that alone is not enough to make me regain my love of Transformer comics. I remain skeptical of this ongoing series.

SMHFConvoy
21st September 2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe they're all gritting their teeth because they didn't like ROTF either :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st September 2009, 07:05 PM
He's changed it recently. There was an issue of All Hail Megatron where the new look appeared. It'll probably evolve a bit more...

Wa that the one with Ironhide and Optimus in the past? Man I loathed the artwork for that! Butt ugly. Never been much of a fan of dons artwork, but will have a look see.

High_Q
21st September 2009, 08:05 PM
I like their faces. The 'pirate' look gives this series a more 'edgy' aesthetic. Now, everyone has skull grins.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2009, 08:49 PM
Now, everyone has skull grins.
But do they have bugly bomb burst submarauder iguanus finbacks?!? ;) :p

SofaMan
21st September 2009, 10:32 PM
But do they have bugly bomb burst submarauder iguanus finbacks?!? ;) :p

http://www.secretcityscreenprinting.com/smart%20ass%20webdesign.jpg

GoktimusPrime
22nd September 2009, 08:51 AM
lol. :D