View Full Version : RPMs

Autocon
25th September 2009, 02:46 PM
they are much more than matchbox or hotwheels

do you think they are worth the money or just money making at its worst

Vector Prime
25th September 2009, 03:03 PM
Overpriced for something so lame... 'nuff said! :D

(No, seriously, they're a total rip off... at $3 or $4, I might consider getting them, but otherwise, meh!)

liegeprime
25th September 2009, 04:46 PM
Id rather not buy any... prefered the mini gobots from RiD series at least those transform these are just .... well, lazy...

Doubledealer
25th September 2009, 05:05 PM
They're like Legends but they can't transform and they cost more! What's not to love??

GoktimusPrime
25th September 2009, 07:24 PM
They're like Legends but they can't transform and they cost more!
+1 QFT

For a cheaper price I can buy Legends. They're not bad toys, just hideously overpriced.

AussieJason
13th October 2009, 10:10 PM
As others have said, overpriced for what you get.

Maybe wait for a sale.

The_Damned
14th October 2009, 04:54 AM
bought a couple at $9 but will wait till a sale to buy more. i do like the little things though

Jaisun
14th October 2009, 10:22 AM
As others have said, definately overpriced, so unless they make it to the bargain bin, I would prefer to save my spends for real TF's. Having said that, I do feel they are a nice tribute to the character alt modes without all the plastic seperation lines of their transformable counterparts, so it would be nice to add a few for display next to the transformable versions in bot mode, but yeah, not at that price. If I were to get any, I would make sure I never look at the bottom of them, cause imo the moulding of the bot mode is jokes =oP

MV75
14th October 2009, 06:49 PM
I voted no.

I was hyped for them at first, but after seeing the price :eek: they are a frigging rippoff.

I'd rather buy a bunch of hotwheels for $2-3 each, plus hotwheels are diecast all over.

Starscream212
14th October 2009, 10:59 PM
I Voted no!!
They dont transform, they are just over priced wanna be hotwheels!

Grievous
17th January 2010, 10:30 AM
I think they look pretty funky...but they are way overpriced...
:mad:

DarkHyren
19th January 2010, 02:37 AM
I don't see the point. They are just basically over priced hotwheels with pictures on the bottom.
I like Transformers toys because they transform and have full representations of the characters, not just their alt modes.
If I wanted die cast cars I would go and find the box of old ones I have laying around somewhere, there's no difference to me really.
Maybe if they were alot cheaper then I might not think they were as bad, but either way they arn't my cup of tea.

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2010, 11:18 AM
afaik RPMs aren't die-cast, just plastic. Which makes them _less_ than Hot Wheels but at twice the price. :/

I like Transformers toys because they transform
Hehe, yeah. They're like alt-moded Action Masters (only _without_ a transformable weapon/vehicle!). They're even dearer than Legends!

So many times I see kids/parents looking at the RPMs and they're about to buy them, but when I tell them that they can't transform they're rudely shocked and quickly put the toy back on the peg. If there are Legends in stock they'll start looking at them. (at that stage I assure them that the Legends _can_ transform)

1AZRAEL1
20th January 2010, 11:23 AM
afaik RPMs aren't die-cast, just plastic. Which makes them _less_ than Hot Wheels but at twice the price. :/

True that the ones out now aren't die-cast, but there are new ones coming out that will be. Scroll down for Soundwave (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-package-images-of-recon-ravage-scout-divebomb-rpm-soundwave-and-many-more/17688/) and you can see on the packet on the right it says die-cast. Plus he is part of the "Metal Heroes Series" and would be dumb if he was plastic :p

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2010, 11:23 PM
Plus he is part of the "Metal Heroes Series" and would be dumb if he was plastic
Not any dumber than making a toy that doesn't transform and calling it a "Transformer"! ;)

griffin
21st January 2010, 12:45 AM
Transformers is a brand name, not a description of the product.
It's like buying a GIJoe toy and getting a Cobra figure inside - you still call it a GIJoe toy. The Brand-name printed on the packaging is for the toyline, not the item inside.

Even from the beginning with Transformers, we had non-convertable toys (Decoys were play-things - ie. toys).
Transformers (with a capital T) is a name, not a description.
So it isn't 'dumb' to stylise a toy (something that is intended to be played with) to represent a Transformers Character, and package it as a Transformers toy. No more dumber than packaging a Cobra Commander in GIJoe packaging.

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2010, 01:17 AM
fwiw I've never been very fond of G.I. Joe being named after only one of its factions (I now know why it's so, but as a kid I thought it was kinda lame). Action Man and Action Force sounded better to me (yeah I know Action Man sounds sexist, but I wasn't thinking about this during the mid 1980s)

So it isn't 'dumb' to stylise a toy (something that is intended to be played with) to represent a Transformers Character, and package it as a Transformers toy. No more dumber than packaging a Cobra Commander in GIJoe packaging.
I wasn't saying it was dumb*... I said that it was no dumber (or no cleverer) than making a toy from plastic and selling it under "Metal Heroes Series." Or a competition between only two countries and calling it the World Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series). :p Or indeed not much better than selling COBRA toys under a series called "G.I. Joe."

*although I do think it is dumb, but that's JMO. :p ;)

Kyle
22nd January 2010, 04:19 PM
I think they're over priced. However, I still like them enough to assemble a movie Autobots car team. Wish they're diecast though. And yes, wish there'll also be G1 versions of these. :)

Lint
22nd January 2010, 04:20 PM
I would totally hit these if they were sculpted after G1 cars and made of die cast. Then I could re-enact the Europa 2000. Well apart from the parts where anyone transforms. >_>

optimus1
22nd January 2010, 04:36 PM
If these were at a much better price point - closer to the premium Hot Wheels/Matchbox range then they would be perfect.

They do not have to transform to be part of the Transformers range, they would be a subline that I would have liked as a kid if they were around.