PDA

View Full Version : G1 Reissues that need to happen

SilverDragon
6th October 2009, 01:08 PM
What reissues of G1 Transformers would you like to see?

Personally, I'd like the Autobot dinosaur cassettes to be released, if only for the amusement resulting from the massive drop in price that results.

SOUNDBLASTER
6th October 2009, 01:13 PM
Sunstreaker, Octane, Computron Giftset :cool::cool:

blackie
6th October 2009, 01:19 PM
Encore liokaiser FTW
that and encore fort max.
I know someone who would cry for a long long time if the Dino cassettes were reissued :P

dirge
6th October 2009, 03:53 PM
Time Warrior.

(Actually, I have all of the US G1, so I'm not really holding out for much... but I'd love the chance to get Minelba & Shuta without bankrupting myself!)

Lordy
6th October 2009, 05:40 PM
Most of the Headmasters
Computatron
Targetmaster Scrouge
Trypticon

MV75
6th October 2009, 05:51 PM
Easy, shockwave & all of the combiners.

Actually, I'd like to see a "g1 movie" line. All of the characters that were in it..... that's about all of them. :)

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2009, 06:12 PM
+ Fortress Maximus (w/ Grand Maximus as an e-Hobby exclusive)
+ Mega Zarak (w/ Black Zarak as an e-Hobby exclusive)
+ Trypticon
+ Lio Kaiser
+ Road Caesar
+ Death Zaras
+ Victory Leo
+ King Poseidon
+ Dai Atlas
+ Grandus
...and pretty much any other G1 Transformer I don't already have. :p

I don't really expect TakaraTOMY to reissue most of the Transformers on my list. Considering how badly Encore Sky Lynx, Metroflex and Omega Supreme have shelf warmed I wouldn't blame TakaraTOMY for not wanting to reissue more big expensive reissues. Does anyone know how well (or badly) Encore Bruticus has been selling?

SGB
6th October 2009, 06:14 PM
Shockwave
Blaster
The Dinobots

blackoptimus
6th October 2009, 06:22 PM
I hope they don't reissue fort max, wheeljack or sunstreaker. Because for an example, originally trailbreaker cost $90-$110 100% complete. But now that it has been reissued the value decreases ($40-$60), so thats my point it's pretty much a slap in the face for the fans who have paid a lot of money for there rarity.

blackoptimus
6th October 2009, 06:23 PM
+ Fortress Maximus (w/ Grand Maximus as an e-Hobby exclusive)
+ Mega Zarak (w/ Black Zarak as an e-Hobby exclusive)
+ Trypticon
+ Lio Kaiser
+ Road Caesar
+ Death Zaras
+ Victory Leo
+ King Poseidon
+ Dai Atlas
+ Grandus
...and pretty much any other G1 Transformer I don't already have. :p

I don't really expect TakaraTOMY to reissue most of the Transformers on my list. Considering how badly Encore Sky Lynx, Metroflex and Omega Supreme have shelf warmed I wouldn't blame TakaraTOMY for not wanting to reissue more big expensive reissues. Does anyone know how well (or badly) Encore Bruticus has been selling?

What about Sky Garry?

kup
6th October 2009, 06:35 PM
The combiner cassettes.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2009, 06:47 PM
I hope they don't reissue fort max, wheeljack or sunstreaker. Because for an example, originally trailbreaker cost $90-$110 100% complete. But now that it has been reissued the value decreases ($40-$60), so thats my point it's pretty much a slap in the face for the fans who have paid a lot of money for there rarity.
Excuse me, but how can you say that when you yourself buy reissues?!?

blackoptimus' collection (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=4683)
I see Pinkimus and the Encore cassettes there. And I remember when you bounced around with excitement after you got reissue Star Convoy. So it feels somewhat odd that you're standing there decrying reissues when you yourself buy them. :/

SOUNDBLASTER
6th October 2009, 07:08 PM
:o

Sky Shadow
6th October 2009, 07:10 PM
I see Pinkimus and the Encore cassettes there.

(And some Encore Minibots too. :))

Linthart
6th October 2009, 08:27 PM
There is no need to single out any figures. They should just reissue all of them!

blackoptimus
6th October 2009, 10:11 PM
Excuse me, but how can you say that when you yourself buy reissues?!?

I see Pinkimus and the Encore cassettes there. And I remember when you bounced around with excitement after you got reissue Star Convoy. So it feels somewhat odd that you're standing there decrying reissues when you yourself buy them. :/

I have around 35-40 G1's now. I sold most of my reissues, only kept pinktimus and seekers and minibots cause I don't have the originals yet!!!

canofwhoopass_87
6th October 2009, 10:27 PM
There is no need to single out any figures. They should just reissue all of them!

There is no need to single out any figures. They shouldn't reissue any more of them! :p

liegeprime
6th October 2009, 10:59 PM
Liokaiser
Fort Max
Dino combiner Cassettes
Road Ceasar
Overlord ( so the original ones out there will go down on their stupid price)
Deathsaurus
Monstructor - Japanese version - giftset
Galaxy Shuttle
Actionmaster giftsets - say 6 AM and partners in a pack.heheheheh

Hmmm thats about it.:D

blackoptimus
6th October 2009, 11:11 PM
Liokaiser
Fort Max
Dino combiner Cassettes
Road Ceasar
Overlord ( so the original ones out there will go down on their stupid price)
Deathsaurus
Monstructor - Japanese version - giftset
Galaxy Shuttle
Actionmaster giftsets - say 6 AM and partners in a pack.heheheheh

Hmmm thats about it.:D

They reissued AM Optimus without a trailer.

liegeprime
6th October 2009, 11:23 PM
They reissued AM Optimus without a trailer.

Well He's not one of AM Im after :D... MOre of the European released ones

optimus1
6th October 2009, 11:29 PM
Here's some I wish they reissued:

- Punch/Counterpunch
- Headmaster TFs - have any of them been reissued with the exception of Maxi or Scorponok (remold as Black Zarak?)
- Powermaster Darkwing/Dreadwind 2 Pack
- Springer, Wreck Gar- i have them but good for those who are still searching

Robzy
7th October 2009, 01:34 AM
Fort Max
Shockwave
Dinobots
Combiner Cassettes
Trypticon

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2009, 10:50 AM
I have around 35-40 G1's now. I sold most of my reissues, only kept pinktimus and seekers and minibots cause I don't have the originals yet!!!
But you're still supporting reissues buy purchasing them in the first place. It doesn't matter if you decide to sell them off afterwards, Takara(TOMY)'s already received your money for it and the toy has already been paid for.

I don't see how you can be openly opposed to reissues on one hand (calling them "a slap in the face to collectors") yet on the other hand you buy them, thereby supporting reissues. You can verbally oppose them all you like, at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets.

"Fail with honour rather than succeed by fraud."
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars

blackoptimus
7th October 2009, 04:49 PM
But you're still supporting reissues buy purchasing them in the first place. It doesn't matter if you decide to sell them off afterwards, Takara(TOMY)'s already received your money for it and the toy has already been paid for.

I don't see how you can be openly opposed to reissues on one hand (calling them "a slap in the face to collectors") yet on the other hand you buy them, thereby supporting reissues. You can verbally oppose them all you like, at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets.

"Fail with honour rather than succeed by fraud."
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Meh', I don't support them any more!

SofaMan
7th October 2009, 06:06 PM
Goktimus and blackoptimus - let's keep the exchanges on-topic please.

kup
7th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Meh', I don't support them any more!

The issue is that it's typical of you to make a big deal on how you don't collect or are against something (no reissues, no reprolabels, complete figures only, etc) and then suddenly you go 180 and do the opposite.

For your own sake, keep your collecting methods to yourself instead of bloated announcements, specially if you decide to break your self imposed rules by the next day.

sideswipes brother
7th October 2009, 06:58 PM
I dont buy my G1's for profit or dollar value....sooooo reissue them all. Nothing like a brand spankin shiney as all hell new tyre smellin reissue!!!

Linthart
7th October 2009, 07:46 PM
I dont buy my G1's for profit or dollar value....sooooo reissue them all. Nothing like a brand spankin shiney as all hell new tyre smellin reissue!!!

mmmm new car smell :p

SilverDragon
7th October 2009, 07:55 PM
...incidentally, if they reissued the Terrorcons, that'd be cool.

Although for the Technobots I think it would be better if they were redone in a modern line, rather than re-released, with better looking alt modes.

Ode to a Grasshopper
7th October 2009, 08:09 PM
Reflector.

Defcon
7th October 2009, 08:12 PM
I know I would like
Trypticon
and maybe Scorponok, preferably Black Zarak
All combiners, I have most of these already but I crave mint versions. A complete mint Computron is my most wanted
Targetmasters and Headmasters but after everything above.

I think reissues are good for me personally. I was never prepared to pay big dollars on originals. On the rare occasion I might it would be for something that has a sort of sentiment attached to it, sort of like a holy grail.
Encores appeal to me because of the packaging and box art, unlike the book style takara reissues, or even the hasbro commemorative editions. Reissues may lower the inflated value of some G1 figures, but if the figure itself is mint and complete it would still fetch a good price. Its the substandard figures that people on ebay who try to pass off as excellent deserve to come down in value, and Reissues are a better sustitute.

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2009, 08:44 PM
Here are all the G1 Transformers which have never been reissued. Names in italics are Transformers which haven't been reissued in the last 10 years. Names underlined are moulds known or rumoured to be lost or destroyed (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mold#Issues_with_Reissues).

=1984=
Bumblejumper
Frenzy
Mirage
Rumble
Sunstreaker
Wheeljack

=1985=
Minispies
Deluxe Insecticons
Beachcomber
The Constructicons/Devastator
Omnibots
Grimlock
Jetfire
Powerdashers
Deluxe Autobots
Seaspray
Shockwave
Slag
Sludge
Snarl
Swoop
Jumpstarters

=1986=
Aerialbots/Superion
Protectobots/Defensor
Blurr
Cyclonus
Stunticons/Menasor
Gnaw
Hubcap
Kup
Octane
Runabout
Runamuck
Sandstorm
Scourge
Reflector
Springer
Trypticon
Wreck Gar

=1987=
Terrorcons/Abominus
Technobots/Computron
Headmasters
Headmaster Horrorcons
Duocons
Throttlebots
Clones
Cassette Gestalts
Trainbots
Blurr (Targetmaster)
Cyclonus (Targetmaster)
Scourge (Targetmaster)
Headmaster Warriors
Monsterbots

=1988=
Godmaster Warriors
Triggerbots
Triggercons
Cassette Gestalts
Black Zarak
Pretenders
Browning
Decepticon Godmasters (except for Overlord if you count his Hasbro release)
Decepticon Powermasters
Firecons
Headmasters (Jrs)
Targetmasters
Grand Maximus
Getaway
Joyride
Slapdash
Ranger
Lightfoot
Road King
Sixknight

=1989=
Micromasters
Pretenders
Dino Force
Crossformers
Breast Force
Brainmasters
Victory Leo

...okay, reissues of post 1989 G1 Transformers are very few, so it's now easier to just list which toys WERE reissued rather than which weren't! :)

=1990=
NIL

=1991=
Star Convoy
Sixliner

=1992=
Micromaster Gestalts

=1993=
NIL

...and that covers all of G1. The only G2 toy that's ever been reissued so far has been Battle Convoy (Laser Optimus Prime).

Wheel-J
7th October 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for that list. I was wondering bout that myself when I'm reading through the thread. Frenzy and Rumble are sure are vintage but maybe not for long. With the upcoming encore cassettes #19, maybe next month or by the end of this year, they'll be off the list too.

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2009, 10:06 AM
It should also be noted that Shockwave, the Deluxe Autobots, Jetfire and the Deluxe Insecticons where all based on non-Takara moulds. So unless TOMY has managed to acquire rights to them (as they did with Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme) then it would be impossible for TakaraTOMY to reissue any of those moulds.

Sky Shadow
8th October 2009, 12:03 PM
Here are all the G1 Transformers which have never been reissued. Names in italics are Transformers which haven't been reissued in the last 10 years. Names underlined are moulds known or rumoured to be lost or destroyed (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mold#Issues_with_Reissues).

What counts as a reissue, Gok? I think way more of these toys should be in italics. Toys like Springer were rereleased as Classics - which you yourself are always referring to as reissues. Mirage was available by mail order in 1988 for $8US, 2 Robot Points and a night with your mum. Beachcomber and Hubcap were vacuum chromed and rereleased for G2. And even if you're not counting mailaways or G2 redecos, Mirage, Beachcomber, Springer and Hubcap were all rereleased as legitimate Chinese reissues from 1989 to 1995 and some of these (like the reissued Cyclonus) were even available here in Australia. In fact, 80% of the toys on your list were reissued in that way:

http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/15

blackie
8th October 2009, 12:12 PM
Mirage was available by mail order in 1988 for $8US, 2 Robot Points and a night with your mum.

thats a bargain and a half

kup
8th October 2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think that toys such as Pinkymus and TrU Soundwave should count as reissues. They are not really trying to 're-release' the original toy but being sold more as a new product with considerable intentional aesthetic changes.

Example, Pinkimus has been made pink with lighter colors to stand out more as a new product on the shelf, not to 'replicate' the G1 released toy, otherwise it would have colors closer to the original release such as the Encore version.

TrU Soundwave is a repainted Soundblaster mold. There was never a double chested G1 Soundwave released before - so not a re-release but a new product.

Child safety modifications don't count in making a reissue a 'new product' as those are more in the realm of 'necessary' changes made by Hasbro in order to release their own reissues in Western markets due to their insistence (and Walmart) of marketing them at kids.

If an old mold has been heavily changed to deliberately look different to the original release (not including child safety mods) then its not a reissue but a new product.

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2009, 12:20 PM
Sky Shadow: I thought the mail away G1s were just left over stock rather than actual reissues. The Classics are definitely reissues and I'd forgotten about Springer. Now I remember Octane and Sandstorm were also reissued as a Classics for that matter. See here (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Reissue) for lines commonly accepted as reissues.

<amends list>

kup: I see where you're coming from but those toys are still officially or commonly accepted as reissues. After all, Apex Armour Optimus Prime is counted/accepted as a reissue of Powermaster Optimus Prime despite the fact that it's the Ginrai mould and _not_ the PM Optimus Prime mould.

kup
8th October 2009, 12:40 PM
kup: I see where you're coming from but those toys are still officially or commonly accepted as reissues. After all, Apex Armour Optimus Prime is counted/accepted as a reissue of Powermaster Optimus Prime despite the fact that it's the Ginrai mould and _not_ the PM Optimus Prime mould.

I own the Ginrai reissue mold released as Powermaster Prime. Although it is a very true reissue of Ginrai (aside from the missile), it was packaged and sold as PM Prime. Although I displayed him for a long while as Powermaster Prime, I did not consider it a reissue but more of a re-release of the improved Ginrai mold representing the Powermaster Prime character .

However the Ginrai mold could also be considered a bit of a gray area as it is indeed the reissuing of a G1 toy pretty close to what it was back in the 80s but the character has been reassigned to Powermaster Optimus Prime in the western release because Ginrai is a Japanese exclusive character. What makes the reissue even more odd is that Hi-Q is called Ginrai in the bio.

So basically - Physical toy wise it is a true reissue of the 80s Ginrai toy but character bio/Box wise it is an improved (not reissue) of Powermaster Optimus Prime with Ginrai instead of Hi-Q.

On a side note: Why did Hasbro do that? Is it because it was easy to release the Ginrai mold as Powermaster Optimus Prime since Takara had already done the hard work by releasing their own reissue and all that Hasbro needed to do was repackage it with a modded missile? Or has the Powermaster Optimus Prime mold been lost?

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2009, 03:17 PM
Is it because it was easy to release the Ginrai mold as Powermaster Optimus Prime since Takara had already done the hard work by releasing their own reissue and all that Hasbro needed to do was repackage it with a modded missile?
I'd say it would be because of this reason.

Hasbro doesn't take any initiative with reissues, they just wait to see what Takara does and follows up from there. I think StepperRicochet is the penultimate proof of that. :)

mknell
8th October 2009, 03:37 PM

=1984=
Mirage
Sunstreaker
Wheeljack

=1985=
The Constructicons/Devastator
Grimlock
Slag
Sludge
Snarl
Swoop

I'd say the moulds for all these were stolen more likely and being used to make fakes like our fav Dinobot Bomander

Sky Shadow
8th October 2009, 04:28 PM
I'd say the moulds for all these were stolen more likely and being used to make fakes like our fav Dinobot Bomander

That's an intriguing theory, but I think the chicken or the egg of it is the other way around: that the bootleggers chose to reverse engineer the Dinobots, Wheeljack, Mirage, Sunstreaker and the Constructicons because Takara didn't/couldn't reissue them.

autobreadticon
8th October 2009, 05:38 PM
i want the sixth dinobot prototype to come into fruition :) secret dinobot

Linthart
8th October 2009, 06:33 PM
i want the sixth dinobot prototype to come into fruition :) secret dinobot

ah 6th dinobot? care to elaborate on that? is this a real thing?

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2009, 07:55 PM
6th Dinobot (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Paddles). There's never been a toy for it though.