PDA

View Full Version : to devastate or not to devatate, that is the question!

RagingBull
9th October 2009, 10:25 AM
this week, saw devastator combiner in the target catalog for $130 is it worth it.
i've always been 50/50 about this guy, some reviews have been good, others bad, some pictures make it look good, other make it look terrible. never have i been so conflicted whether or not to buy a transformer usually its buy or no buy decision that i come to very quickly based on what i look for in a transformer that makes it appeal to me.

personally i love the character, he was awesomeness in the movie, the toy however has is pluses and negatives and at such a high price point it makes it hard to throw money at it considering some of the negatives.

what do you guys think

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2009, 10:48 AM
The toy is just too expensive. I just cannot bring myself to pay that much for a gestalt that:
a/ Cannot transform into individual robots.
b/ Has rather unimpressive looking individual vehicles.
c/ Has a rather ungainly looking combined mode (Devastator).
d/ Is missing a Constructicon! (Overload (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Overload_%28ROTF%29))

As I mentioned before on the ROTF toy thread, if they're going to sacrifice Devastator's ability to transform into individual robots then they need to compensate by making the toy otherwise completely kick-arse. IMO Supreme Devastator _should_ have a kick-arse looking combined robot mode and kick-arse looking individual vehicles; but he doesn't. To me the vehicles look PlaySkool and the combined mode is just too simplistic (even the Legends version looks better in some way). So to me, the sacrifice of the individual robots has _not_ been justified by the rest of the toy and subsequently I cannot justify paying anything over $100 for it.

I voted on "never getting because too expensive." If it's heavily discounted I might think about getting it - but that's still a massive maybe. :/

Currently I'm happy with my Legends (EZ Collection) Devastator. _Much_ better value for money IMO considering that they can separate into individual vehicles that can transform into robots, and for such small and relatively simple and inexpensive figures, they're pretty well designed. Especially Scrapper, he's pure win. :)

Lord_Zed
9th October 2009, 11:20 AM
When it's $50 at Big W or in the clearance cage at Kmart, then I will get it.

That's what I paid for Armada Unicron, Primus and Omega Supreme, and that's all I feel its worth to me.

Quite happy to go Devestatorless If this never happens.

SilverDragon
9th October 2009, 12:51 PM
Wait until someone makes an add-on kit that gives him wrecking balls.

SOUNDBLASTER
9th October 2009, 01:53 PM
Now I chose "never buy because its crap" but if i was to find one for say $50 id buy it just so i can make him eat things NOM NOM NOM
:cool:

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2009, 06:02 PM
I'd buy one for $65 or less. :)

Saintly
9th October 2009, 09:34 PM
I'll get it if you pay me :)

though that devvy thread has made it more interesting!

Ode to a Grasshopper
10th October 2009, 09:36 AM
Pass 'cos it looks crap IMO.

I want the G1-coloured 2004 Universe mini-Devastator for Odieverse Devs.

Defcon
10th October 2009, 12:16 PM
well i voted crap! while his size is impressive, I just think I would hate myself for getting one at any price. However if they did a G1 devastator like this, I would almost definately buy! and I'm not talking about this being repainted, I'm thinking of one with pure G1 Aesthetics.

Edit. I guess if you love the movie toys, this one is the ultimate to display with the rest of your movie collection. For this reason I can understand people wanting this. I'm not really a fan, is why I really don't like it.

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2009, 12:29 PM
So you'd buy an upsized Action Master Devastator?

Seraphim Prime
10th October 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm personally torn. I like the figure and the concept, and the idea of having Devastator. But I'm not sure I like it enough to pay $130 for him. Although when I went to check out Kmart for $120 they were all sold out, so it doesn't look like he'll get much cheaper...

RageOnTheRoads
10th October 2009, 01:40 PM
Probably not, for two simple reasons: I am so very very cheap and he is so very very ugly..... Though, having said that, the collector cerebellum has been known to override the cheapskate cortex every so often.

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2009, 08:58 PM
I'm personally torn. I like the figure and the concept,
You _like_ the concept of six (even though there should be seven) vehicles that don't transform but can merge into a giant robot? Or do you just like the num num mouth gimmick? I think the gimmick is cool but I wouldn't pay $120-170 for it. :/

and the idea of having Devastator. But I'm not sure I like it enough to pay $130 for him. Although when I went to check out Kmart for $120 they were all sold out, so it doesn't look like he'll get much cheaper...
Have you considered getting the Legends/EZ Collection version. You'll have Devastator with all seven Constructicons that can transform from robot to vehicle and merge! All for $70 (not including postage) if you import it from Japan (which is getting cheaper now the AUD is real high) or you can wait and see if Hasbro brings out their own version of those toys here, in which case you ought to be able to grab the set for $49. IMHO a helluva lot better value for your dollar than Supreme Munchastator.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/ezcollection_constructicons.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/devastator_robot.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_devastator_munkky.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/devastator_munkky.jpg)

Earlier today I was at TRU and saw Supreme Devastator in the hands of a young couple. I struck up a conversation with them and it turned out that they were completely unaware that the set was "missing" one Constructicon and that the individual vehicles couldn't transform into robots. When I told them that they couldn't their hearts just dropped... I did tell them about the awesome num num gimmick, but after hearing that the Constructicons can't transform they changed their minds. They then told me that they'd just scanned it and it came up at $169.99! I guess they figured it wasn't worth parting with $170 for. :/

Defcon
11th October 2009, 09:28 AM
So you'd buy an upsized Action Master Devastator?

Yes Sir I would :p Before Hasbro gets around to doing one, Tonka will do one first in yellow. The Tonka Constructotron robot set sell amazingly well! Hasbro finally decides it should make one, and decides to include individual bot modes thus to make it clearly different from the Tonka release. Everyone is happy..... Hasbro names the toy Devastator Maximus.... Hasbro does not color the toy constructicon green, but chooses a more realistic color set...the colors are passable except devastators face is painted blue....the toy recieves moderate sales, but later shelfwarms...is put on sale at target about six months later at $29.99.... a walmart exclusive comes out with a nice G1 color scheme with green and purple... still the blue face... a henkei exclusive comes out with chromed parts, and with the face color done correctly :cool:... the Botcon exclusive is done in Diaclone Colors.

GoktimusPrime
11th October 2009, 10:44 AM
you do know that hasbro & tonka are the same co., right? :/

Defcon
11th October 2009, 01:12 PM
I didn't know that :/ it dosen't matter anyway Tonka constructicons would be damn cool.

Vector Prime
11th October 2009, 07:33 PM
Pass 'cos it looks crap IMO.

+1

And not being able to transform kinda defeats the purpose of a TF toy IMHO :p

liegeprime
11th October 2009, 07:36 PM
And not being able to transform kinda defeats the purpose of a TF toy IMHO :p

these same sentiments and words I uttered when Actionmasters came out, and now years later I am paying thruogh the nose just find the silly buggers. Id buy him but will wait for a sale less then $130. Big W put down their price of Ultimate Bee before by $88 ( now he's back to much higher price) so I know by some off chance ( hopefully) they will make that happen and Id place him on laybuy at a very cheap sale price.

Seraphim Prime
11th October 2009, 11:17 PM
You _like_ the concept of six (even though there should be seven) vehicles that don't transform but can merge into a giant robot?

Part of me, yes. Maybe it's just the idea of a giant monster that can tower over my movie figures.

Have you considered getting the Legends/EZ Collection version. You'll have Devastator with all seven Constructicons that can transform from robot to vehicle and merge!
Yeah, I do know about the Tomy EZ Collection guys. Seven V Six isn't that big a deal, considering you hardly see the crane when they're all combined (at least from the photos I've seen) and the movie wasn't exactly that clear on the subject either. Plus I don't have a credit card, so it kinda restricts imports at the moment.

...they were completely unaware that the set was "missing" one Constructicon...
See above.

...and that the individual vehicles couldn't transform into robots... Again, the individual Devastator components never actually transformed by themselves in the movie. So unless you count the fact that they've each been given names as evidence that each component has individual sentience, then there's no actual canonical evidence of Devastator being more than a multicomponent individual (like BW Neo Magmatron).

I did tell them about the awesome num num gimmick
cause describing it like that makes it sound awesome

I guess they figured it wasn't worth parting with $170 for. :/
Maybe not $170, but at $130 you start contemplating it...

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2009, 09:46 AM
Seven V Six isn't that big a deal, considering you hardly see the crane when they're all combined (at least from the photos I've seen) and the movie wasn't exactly that clear on the subject either.
The crane (Hightower (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hightower_%28ROTF%29)) forms Devastator's left arm as you can see here (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/94/ROTF_Devastator_Bay_clip.jpg). :) Perhaps you are referring to Overload (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Overload_%28ROTF%29), the articulated dump truck. He is seen assembling in the quarry with his fellow Constructicons and merging to form Devastator. He had more screen time than Sideways! :D

Plus I don't have a credit card, so it kinda restricts imports at the moment.
I would be surprised (and disappointed) if Hasbro doesn't release the EZ Collection as Legends here. I've heard rumours that they will (but again, only rumours).

Again, the individual Devastator components never actually transformed by themselves in the movie. So unless you count the fact that they've each been given names as evidence that each component has individual sentience, then there's no actual canonical evidence of Devastator being more than a multicomponent individual (like BW Neo Magmatron).
Fair enough, but for $130-170 I'd like my individual Constructicon toys to transform into individual robots. :)

cause describing it like that makes it sound awesome
I didn't use those words. I did explain the gimmick as accurately as I could and did tell them that it did seem really fun and awesome to play with. I even told them about how Jhiaxus was able to feed an entire rubber chicken through it! I never told them that it was a bad toy or anything, merely pointed out the fact that it was missing 1 Constructicon and couldn't transform into individual robots, which they weren't aware of.

Maybe not $170, but at $130 you start contemplating it...
I personally wouldn't. _Maybe_ if it got below $70? But that's just me. :)

Seraphim Prime
12th October 2009, 09:10 PM
The crane (Hightower (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hightower_%28ROTF%29)) forms Devastator's left arm as you can see here (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/94/ROTF_Devastator_Bay_clip.jpg). :) Perhaps you are referring to Overload (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Overload_%28ROTF%29), the articulated dump truck. He is seen assembling in the quarry with his fellow Constructicons and merging to form Devastator.
Yeah - I meant Overload. I couldn't remember which one I was thinking about when I was typing the message.

He had more screen time than Sideways! :D
I'll pay that. :)

I didn't use those words. I did explain the gimmick as accurately as I could and did tell them that it did seem really fun and awesome to play with. I even told them about how Jhiaxus was able to feed an entire rubber chicken through it! I never told them that it was a bad toy or anything, merely pointed out the fact that it was missing 1 Constructicon and couldn't transform into individual robots, which they weren't aware of.
Maybe I was a little condescending, but I felt I was being pressured to agree with your point of view even when I may have come to a different conclusion on what I want even knowing all the things you mentioned.

I personally wouldn't. _Maybe_ if it got below $70? But that's just me. :)"you" being used in the impersonal, general sense, not you personally. :) At $170 I'm definately out, but at $130 I'm considering it. I'll put it on layby and see what I think over the next 8 weeks...

GoktimusPrime
13th October 2009, 08:37 AM
Maybe I was a little condescending, but I felt I was being pressured to agree with your point of view even when I may have come to a different conclusion on what I want even knowing all the things you mentioned.
Whether you agree or disagree with me is entirely up to you. I hope that if you do decide to spend $130 on it that you'll be happy with your purchase and find it worth the money you spent. As long as you're happy with your purchase. :)

RagingBull
13th October 2009, 12:50 PM
impressive results in the polls. not entirely suprised though

Lord_Zed
15th October 2009, 07:41 PM
I had a quick look at Devestator today at the shops, I do admit his size and gaping maw are impressive. I revise my previous statement I'd consider paying up to $75-80 for him now.

TF76
15th October 2009, 10:31 PM
I got one at the Kmart sale and i like it a lot, with staff discount it was under $115. I think for around $130 it is a good buy and anything under is a bargain.

That is if you like him... :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th October 2009, 02:37 AM
Its a big pass for me. I considered buying it on 2 conditions.
1.The sheer size alone impresses. I remember my "wow" that engulfed me when I opened my Fort Maxx.
2. The vehicle modes look really good.

It fails on both accounts.
The size, sure its big, but its only as tall as Bumblebee. Not enough to warrant spending that amount of dosh. The bulk adds a little, but it still looks like a pile of plastic crap IMO.

Considering how there aren't robot modes for the vehicles, I would have expected better looing ones. Unfortunately they are lame and dodgy looking. Mixmasters massive cement barrel for one and Longhaul doesnt look quite right either.

If I got a free one, I might keep it.

LordCyrusOmega
16th October 2009, 08:13 AM
I brought it full price. Had been in a drought so when i saw him just grabbed it.
Not worth the money. Had to take batteries out of Mixmaster cause the noise doesn't stop in vehicle mode.
He does look impressive on the shelf though.

Tallestblue
17th October 2009, 05:21 PM
I too purchased Devastator as soon as I saw it and..well. Meh.
Of course I've gottena lot of ROTF stuff and thought Meh.
In a perfect world it would be twice the size and all the the components would transform to vehicle and robot. Of course in a perfect world Takara makes a G1 Masterpiece Devastator too.
I wish the world was as cool as could be in my head.

Sky Shadow
17th October 2009, 06:45 PM
You _like_ the concept of six (even though there should be seven) vehicles that don't transform but can merge into a giant robot?... Earlier today I was at TRU and saw Supreme Devastator in the hands of a young couple. I struck up a conversation with them and it turned out that they were completely unaware that the set was "missing" one Constructicon

This isn't true though. Legends EZ Devastator is the one that's "missing" one Constructicon. (Supreme Devastator is "missing" two. Neither of the toys have the eighth yellow Constructicon digger that helps form Devastator in the movie as the gestalt's left hand. Consequently, denigrating Supreme Devastator for his lack of numerical accuracy while lauding Legends EZ Devvy doesn't make any sense.

And that's not even counting the mysterious invisible second crane that forms Devastator's balls. :p)

dirge
18th October 2009, 09:35 AM
I wish the world was as cool as could be in my head.

I read this as "I wish the world was as cool as head." Eep :eek:

Sky Shadow, I think it's best that the twin wrecking balls are left unexplained. The less attention paid to them, the better.

rampagesss
20th October 2009, 12:30 PM
I won't be getting him mainly because i don't like the look of the movie toys, but have seen him at Toyworld and he doesn't look that bad. I thought he would have been a bit bigger, and when i saw the $230 price tag i was like WTF no one is going to pay that much for him
But he does look good in Jhiaxus's CAN DEVVY EAT IT? thread

To Punish & Enslave
4th November 2009, 04:01 PM
I am mainly a mint in box collector so the finer details of him dont concern me that much. He is one of a handfull i will get from the rotf movie series. Is he as good as other versions ? No. Nun the less I like him.

GoktimusPrime
4th November 2009, 06:50 PM
So what is it about the Supreme Devastator toy that appeals to you?

Vector Sigma 13
4th November 2009, 08:14 PM
Im possibly going to get him if hes under $100 buckaroos. Have to be well under though.

Jetfire
5th November 2009, 02:02 PM
He looks good as a display piece but he is awkward to stand. Get him standing right, then try something like pressing down that button to make his mouth gape open and he buckles at the knees. A figure that doesn't stand easily is a pain and I would think twice about putting this guy too high up on a shelf or something.

The individual constructicons lack detail and are basically big chunks of monotone plastic.

And mixmaster never shuts up.

But I don't really regret my purchase at $119 (wouldn't want to pay anymore though).. he looks cool on display ready to munch on something. Num. He should really be about $100. Paying over $200 for him is a joke.

For the price though he really should have more details, like rubber moveable tracks as opposed to little wheels underneath and fake tracks. Even a sticker set wouldn't be a bad idea for this guy and a cheap option.