PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Attendee Figure for Botcon'08 is...

Saintly
1st March 2008, 01:11 PM
Ricochet -> http://botcon.com/Botcon08/08figures.cfm

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon08/images/ricochetALT.jpg
http://www.botcon.com/BotCon08/images/ricochetBOT.jpg

dirge
1st March 2008, 01:20 PM
I think the appropriate response is... "fuh!?"

IE, why are we seeing a retconned G1 character rather than a traditional one?

foor
1st March 2008, 02:20 PM
I can't help but feel somewhat confused and disappointed. Couldn't they at least change the headmold?

Paulbot
1st March 2008, 02:33 PM
I think this looks better and would actually prefer to get Ricochet in the box set rather than Evil Autobot Jazz.

dirge
1st March 2008, 02:37 PM
I can't help but feel somewhat confused and disappointed. Couldn't they at least change the headmold?

Ricochet is the name Hasbro randomly assigned when they decided to "reissue" Stepper (but not call the toy that) a few years ago. Stepper is a repaint of Jazz, retooled as a Targetmaster.

So the head mould makes sense. Even if the choice of character isn't that inspiring.

foor
1st March 2008, 02:46 PM
Ricochet is the name Hasbro randomly assigned when they decided to "reissue" Stepper (but not call the toy that) a few years ago. Stepper is a repaint of Jazz, retooled as a Targetmaster.

So the head mould makes sense. Even if the choice of character isn't that inspiring.

Ah, no wonder. I even saw Stepper for $15 one time used and thought "bleh, do not want". But yeah, head makes sense but color scheme does not...

So... we have 6 bad Autobots now and 2 good Decepticons confirmed. wtf....

Pipesqueak
1st March 2008, 02:57 PM
When I saw the alt mode pic I thought it might be evil Red Alert or something. But I don't understand these colours for stepper/ricochet? Wasn't he black?

dirge
1st March 2008, 03:06 PM
When I saw the alt mode pic I thought it might be evil Red Alert or something. But I don't understand these colours for stepper/ricochet? Wasn't he black?

Yes, he was. I can live with the dark red for Evil Stepper. I mean, you can't get any darker than black. I think Decepticon Purple would have been a better choice, but dark red I can live with. The the use of the name Ricochet - which is a retconned concept - doesn't sit especially well with me.

If any of these toys needed dark red, surely it was Motorm... er Optimus Prime.

GoktimusPrime
1st March 2008, 03:38 PM
that's five flavours of mediocrity right there. (-_-)

Gutsman Heavy
1st March 2008, 04:04 PM
lame!

foor
1st March 2008, 06:37 PM
lame!

Not lame Conan! Lame-tastic!!

reillyd
1st March 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm greatly relieved with this, as its a figure I can do without. I'm going to have to sell blood or a kidney to get the convention exclusive Megatron figure I suspect, which will cost me enough as it is.

iceburn
2nd March 2008, 04:16 PM
saintly, i forgot this pic will be out and went ikea shopping yesterday. glad you've posted it up too

ok..i can forsee most people will be disappointed now. well, i may forgo the attendee figures at this moment but would still like to know how megatron will look like and which mould that will be used

foor
2nd March 2008, 04:27 PM
saintly, i forgot this pic will be out and went ikea shopping yesterday. glad you've posted it up too

ok..i can forsee most people will be disappointed now. well, i may forgo the attendee figures at this moment but would still like to know how megatron will look like and which mould that will be used

I think it's more or less rumoured/confirmed(?) that they'll be using Galvatr... er.. Megatron mould from Energon. I like that mould, so I hope it's true.

http://tfarchive.com/toys/mistransformed/images/energon_megatron_amazon.jpg

iceburn
2nd March 2008, 04:32 PM
hmmmm i guess that's alright but yeah, if that's the case thus confirm having the 5 figure box set would be sufficient for this year. hope next year's one will be fantastic

The_Damned
2nd March 2008, 08:14 PM
HAHA that is one set i wont be upset about not getting.

griffin
2nd March 2008, 09:53 PM
I honestly think they should have left this one until the convention to reveal it, or at least, they should have revealed a figure that would actually get hyped up. This one works against building hype, mostly because (as dirge said), it is a neo-gen1 character, not a 'classic' gen1 character. I guess they got away with it with Bugbite last year, and they may be wanting to use their 2005 BotCon character to link that set with the current one.
Maybe this is a good thing. The free figure could be the one that is the rarest (depending on how many people pre-register and show up), and if it is an unwanted one, completists won't have to pay as much. If it was the Jazz toy as the free figure, the second-hand price would be insane.

GoktimusPrime
2nd March 2008, 10:05 PM
The core idea of using a neo-G1 character is not inherently flawed, but it depends on the execution.

Bug Bite worked because original TF Bug Bite was a reissue Bumblebee repainted white and BotCon Bug Bite was a Classics Bumblebee repainted white. Original Ricochet had the same colours as Stepper whereas this BotCon Ricochet features a drastically different colour scheme that isn't reminiscent of the original Ricochet/Stepper colours at all.

And IMO Bug Bite was a more 'popular' (re: sought after) character because he was based on an e-Hobby exclusive figure. People love exotic Japanese e-Hobby online exclusive characters, just look at Sunstorm!

STL
2nd March 2008, 11:10 PM
... whoa... underwhelming...

lcz128
3rd March 2008, 07:34 AM
This offering just feels...lazy... :|

Paulbot
3rd March 2008, 09:43 AM
Seems like I'll not have much competition trying to get this toy post-Botcon. Yay! :)

GoktimusPrime
3rd March 2008, 11:12 PM
... whoa... underwhelming...

QFT! :)

benben2142
4th March 2008, 12:43 AM
Yuk it looks like a piece crap that came out of Hasbro's rear end.

sifun
4th March 2008, 04:45 PM
I agree totally.

dirge
4th March 2008, 10:39 PM
Something just hit me. The colour used _does_ actually make sense:

Stepper at Robot Kingdom (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFTR15&lang=us&CatID=)

The claret colour of the BotCon toy lines up to the colour used on reissue Stepper's box. Okay, this might not make Ricochet into that bucket of awesome you were all hoping he would be, but I think the guys who conceived this toy _have_ put more thought into this figure than they're being given credit for.

Either way, I'd still like to get this figure. I love the concept of an Evil Stepper™!

STL
4th March 2008, 11:38 PM
Flames? Face colour? Too much missing to even make him make sense. I mean so going by that theory shouldn't all Insecticons now have green since their box is green. Or Jazz be gold?

Either way, I guess we SHOULDN'T be complaining. If it was an awesome figure here, so many of us would regret not being able to get it at a cheap price. :)

dirge
4th March 2008, 11:53 PM
Flames? Face colour? Too much missing to even make him make sense. I mean so going by that theory shouldn't all Insecticons now have green since their box is green. Or Jazz be gold?

Hey I'm not saying the overall execution is great, nor that it's fantastic. I'm just saying that it's not quite the steaming pile of you-know-what that has been suggested by some. And I still get the feeling the claret was intentional - even if the flames (in some form) would have a good idea.

It's a _lot_ better than say, oh, half of the Universe line. I'd rather pay for Ricochet than score a free Universe Silverbolt.

STL
5th March 2008, 12:08 AM
It's a _lot_ better than say, oh, half of the Universe line. I'd rather pay for Ricochet than score a free Universe Silverbolt.

Don't all pike me but I gotta say I don't mind Universe toys. Some repaints are good. Some are off. I kinda like it. In my sale thread, you'll notice Armada Prime with Armada Magnus. How cool is that? As well as Universe Devastator! The Optimus Primal repaint was forgetful though.

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2008, 10:43 AM
Transformers Universe is like early Generation 2... there were a few cool repaints (e.g.: G2 Sideswipe) but most of them were pret-ty fecal (e.g.: G2 Ramjet). ;)

I mean so going by that theory shouldn't all Insecticons now have green since their box is green.
You mean like this?

http://www.toysnjoys.com/transformers/ceinsecticonclonearmy.jpg

Or Jazz be gold?
You mean like this?

http://snakas.web.infoseek.co.jp/hukoku/img/06_gold_r.jpg

:p (/smart@$$) :p

The Insecticon Clones' colours are actually from the Insecticons' Diaclone colours. ;)