PDA

View Full Version : Packaging: Robot mode vs Vehicle mode

Paulbot
9th November 2009, 02:38 PM
The Fast Action Battlers continue to sit on the shelf as deluxes fly off them...

One reason that's often suggested is that the packaging is too kiddy, and kids don't want the TFs for kids, they want the TFs.

But I was wondering today: is it because they are sold in robot mode?

If FABs were repackaged in vehicle mode would they sell better? Would ROTF Deluxes sell worse if they were packaged in robot mode?

If you're a parent looking at TFs, and deluxes and FABs are right beside each other and the same size and price: well isn't the realistic looking sports car, bulldozer, jet, helicopter, etc a much more compelling toy than the bayformer robot modes?

Look at Deluxe Wheelie. An awful looking robot toy, that's so tall it's sold all scrunched up to fit on the card, the only ROTF deluxe so far sold that way. Would it sell better if it was in vehicle mode?

ROTF Scouts, Legends, and Leaders are also all sold in Robot mode... but are they selling as quick? Most stores I visit seem to have a good supply of those sizes even if sold out of Deluxes and Voyagers.

What do others think about this as a reason FABs aren't selling and your preferences on Alt mode vs Robot mode packaging?

optimus1
9th November 2009, 02:48 PM
I always prefer seeing them in Alt mode, with the pic of the actual robot form done as a photo or artist's impression. An exeption would probably be for the Leaders and Supreme Devastator.

Legends would look too similar to matchbox cars if in Alt mode, so maybe that's a reason?

Maybe FABs/Gravity Bots aren't selling as well possibly also due to the price?

Parents probably want to pay for something a bit more worth their $$ and can recognize as an actual vehicle that turns into a robot, rather than the other away around as they tend to be easier to store away in alt mode.

I also agree that most kids want something a bit more complex.

I agree that most places Iv been to lately have a small selection of standard deluxes.

1AZRAEL1
9th November 2009, 02:58 PM
It is possible, one exception though was Frenzy from the first film, my father in law got me him, and he was in alt mode.

IMHO, I think they are too easy and look to much like kiddie toys, older kids want something that is more suiting to their growing knowledge.

Doubledealer
9th November 2009, 03:39 PM
The Fast Action Battlers continue to sit on the shelf as deluxes fly off them...

One reason that's often suggested is that the packaging is too kiddy, and kids don't want the TFs for kids, they want the TFs.

But I was wondering today: is it because they are sold in robot mode?

If FABs were repackaged in vehicle mode would they sell better? Would ROTF Deluxes sell worse if they were packaged in robot mode?

If you're a parent looking at TFs, and deluxes and FABs are right beside each other and the same size and price: well isn't the realistic looking sports car, bulldozer, jet, helicopter, etc a much more compelling toy than the bayformer robot modes?

Look at Deluxe Wheelie. An awful looking robot toy, that's so tall it's sold all scrunched up to fit on the card, the only ROTF deluxe so far sold that way. Would it sell better if it was in vehicle mode?

ROTF Scouts, Legends, and Leaders are also all sold in Robot mode... but are they selling as quick? Most stores I visit seem to have a good supply of those sizes even if sold out of Deluxes and Voyagers.

What do others think about this as a reason FABs aren't selling and your preferences on Alt mode vs Robot mode packaging?

I don't think FAB's being displayed in alt mode is going to do much for their popularity. You can polish a turd as much as you like but it's still always going to be a turd.

OrionPax
9th November 2009, 04:47 PM
I usually get the ones which look the most impressive

GoktimusPrime
9th November 2009, 07:49 PM
I generally prefer alt mode. Transformers are like a puzzle toy, and IMO transforming it from alt mode to robot mode is the fun of opening a Transformer for the first time. Having a Transformer already in robot mode I guess kinda feels like the crossword's been done already.

Autocon
9th November 2009, 10:30 PM
ive done one of these threads =P

i also think that deluxes have had more sales on them than fabs, for instance heaps of deluxes shelf warming morley kmart than they were $20 each and there were hardly any left yet fabs were still $28. also there are less fab assortments to get through so they dont need to move them off shelves as much.

anotherthing is that stores ordered so many to begin with but now only order a couple of cases so they dont shelve warm as much and sell out quickly

for instance thrust gears grrr:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Paulbot
9th November 2009, 11:13 PM
ive done one of these threads =P

i also think that deluxes have had more sales on them than fabs, for instance heaps of deluxes shelf warming morley kmart than they were $20 each and there were hardly any left yet fabs were still $28. also there are less fab assortments to get through so they dont need to move them off shelves as much.

Mainly this thread was inspired by my shopping on the weekend where FABs were all over the place. They bug me as much this time around as they did last movie, hogging shelf space and seeming not to move. The robot vs vehicle mode seem another plausible reason to me. Most times deluxes are on sale, FABs are too, so it can't just be price.

A good suggestion that Golden Phoenix made to me was that FABs might sell better if they were scout/activator sized. I think I'd buy FABs at the size/price point.

GoktimusPrime
10th November 2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, the problem with FABs is that they're relatively simple Transformers, but being sold at the same price point as Deluxes. For the same money if you had to choose between say FAB Sideswipe or Deluxe Sideswipe, I'd say most people would opt for Deluxe and leave the FAB to peg warm.

Same with the RPMs. I don't think they're really bad toys (as far as being toy cars are concerned), just overpriced. I'd get them if they were cheaper. Ditto Supreme Devastator.

Starscream212
10th November 2009, 08:13 PM
I prefer Vehicle mode only because they have less cable ties so its easier to un-pack! I hate all the ties around the body, legs and arms of figures!

GoktimusPrime
11th November 2009, 09:09 AM
That's what tin snips (http://www.photostringer.com/images/diagonal_cut_pliers.jpg) are for. ;)

yukitora
2nd December 2009, 01:15 AM
I think its more of a price issue than a box set-up issue. but when people see a big box and a dinky toy, if its not impressive in the first 5 seconds, the toy sale is screwed. i think a tf should be maybe in the best mode for that toy, so each toy would look different. and each toy should fill up as much as the 'box' as possible. none of this animated blurr crap lots of space set-up. poor thing. if you want the best sales, you have to trick the eye, and make it seem better then what it might be. if your not excited to see it, u aint gonna buy it. so, : best mode for each toy, and one that takes up space. If someone thinks all they are paying for is air... well... maybe the extra air will come in handy in space (some space kid might prefer it, extra air) but not down here, and so it is seen as a waste, playing-wise and money-wise.