PDA

View Full Version : DS RPG's

blackoptimus
15th November 2009, 12:45 AM
Whats hot for ds? There seems to be no hot titles. Everyone thing RPG wise is chrono trigger, castlevania or final fantasy. But how are they sooooo good? The graphics are shocking and they look cheesy like GBA stuff. But I saw Castlevania Order of Ecclesia at JB for $35 so I don't know??? What should I get.....

They also seem to get high ratings from old skool fans and even IGN as well, don't know why something that looks THAT crap can get a 5 outta 5.

blackoptimus
15th November 2009, 12:46 AM
If my previous post doesn't make any sense what so ever, just let me know so I can edit it.

Lint
15th November 2009, 01:06 AM
Some might disagree with me but I don't remember a time when graphics for ANY rpg did not look cheesy. The wealth is supposed to be in the story and gameplay.

Gutsman Heavy
15th November 2009, 02:17 AM
A good RPG doesn't need good graphics, hell some of the highly rated ones are text only!

I'd recommend the new Mario & Luigi RPG

Jetfire
15th November 2009, 07:15 AM
Chrono Trigger is a brilliant RPG, the graphics might look outdated but they hold up on the DS. It is one of the greatest RPG's of all time, you need to look beyond the sprites into the story and gameplay. Great soundtrack too. 5/5

Maybe checkout Zelda Phantom Hourglass, or the new one coming out.

OrionPax
15th November 2009, 12:43 PM
I highly recommend Kingdom Hearts 368/2 Days and The World Ends With You.

Wha? All Square Enix?

Yep. Square Enix is just awesome :D

Sam
15th November 2009, 05:27 PM
Chrono Trigger may have dated graphics because it was from the SNES era, but the gameplay versatility and plot in my opinion more than makes up for this.

Order of Ecclesia is a good choice too (esp. since I got mine from JB at $29 at while back). There are a bunch of places to explore and a wealth of options when it comes to configuring weapons.

If you had to choose between the two though, I'd say get Chrono Trigger.

blackoptimus
15th November 2009, 09:34 PM
Chrono Trigger may have dated graphics because it was from the SNES era, but the gameplay versatility and plot in my opinion more than makes up for this.

Order of Ecclesia is a good choice too (esp. since I got mine from JB at $29 at while back). There are a bunch of places to explore and a wealth of options when it comes to configuring weapons.

If you had to choose between the two though, I'd say get Chrono Trigger.

$29, woahh..... HOW!, it came out in FEB/March how did it get so cheap? EBgames still have it for $79.95, a normal ds games highest price is meant to be $69.95, weird.

Gutsman Heavy
15th November 2009, 09:55 PM
there is no max price for a game, its set to whatever the publisher recommends, and what the store thinks it can sell it for. Most Castlevania DS games retail for $79.95

Chrono Trigger is great, and I REALLY hate JRPGs so it must be special to get some interest from me.

Jetfire
15th November 2009, 10:01 PM
$29, woahh..... HOW!, it came out in FEB/March how did it get so cheap? EBgames still have it for $79.95, a normal ds games highest price is meant to be $69.95, weird.

Well I wouldn't used Ebgames as a price index, they are always going to quote top prices. JBHifi is good for cheap DS games. BigW also, just have a look around or check out the catalogues online or ecogamer.com (http://ecogamer.com)

On the subject of Chrono Trigger, the art style is what had to shine through in those days, and I think graphically the game still holds up pretty well visually even today.. the graphics have a certain charm to them even if they are sprite based with limited animation, there are a few suprises in Chrono Trigger and the story and characters are great..

But I also grew up on text based games and the C64. ;) It's come along way since then

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th November 2009, 10:43 PM
I found Ecclesia too damn hard and the boss fights repetetive.

Can't Speak for DS Chronotrigger, but I converted my ps1 one to the PSP and still reckon is awesome.

Remember, Graphics maekth not a game, otherwise the DS wouldn't out-sell the PSP...

As someone else said, Zelda is awesome, but short. Ive been playing Winds of Nostalgia (in japanese) and its pretty cool. I believe its still slated for english release.

blackoptimus
15th November 2009, 11:36 PM
I bought chrono trigger back in april, played it for 2-3 days, tried to like/love it, but I couldn't work with it. I didn't even know how the story ran and what I was even doing. So I sold it to get a G1 soundwave and buzzsaw in juneish. mmm....

1AZRAEL1
16th November 2009, 09:28 AM
I found Ecclesia too damn hard and the boss fights repetetive.

It is a hard game, and coincidentley, i Just finished it yesterday. It can be hard but you have to learn to configure your weapons and the more you use them the stronger they become. I must admit though, it was not as fun as the other 2 for DS, "Portrait of Ruin" and "Dawn of Sorrow".

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th November 2009, 11:09 AM
I must admit though, it was not as fun as the other 2 for DS, "Portrait of Ruin" and "Dawn of Sorrow".

Yeh, I think that was what put me off most. I loved Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin lots and would've been happy for more of the same. Having said that though, I also liked the concept of the glyphs and weapon combo options of OoE, but the difficulty level just put me right off.

1AZRAEL1
16th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeh, I think that was what put me off most. I loved Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin lots and would've been happy for more of the same. Having said that though, I also liked the concept of the glyphs and weapon combo options of OoE, but the difficulty level just put me right off.

It is fun, if you can get the hang of it, use the magical tickets every time you get low on life. The more enemies you kill, the stronger your weapons become. I for one keep on killing the same enemies to get all the items/glyphs, and it takes ages to get some of them. At least you will get your weapons stronger at the same time. I unlocked hard mode, I'm gonna start on that on the way home to see how hard it is.

blackie
16th November 2009, 11:40 AM
snes emu + secret of mana = amazing for ds :P

blackoptimus
22nd November 2009, 04:52 PM
I need help. I got castlevania today. HELL, it bloody hard. I can't even save, where do I save before the boss battle?

Scrapper
22nd November 2009, 09:58 PM
A good RPG doesn't need good graphics, hell some of the highly rated ones are text only!

I'd recommend the new Mario & Luigi RPG

is that so called "NEW super mario brothers" that has 4 play character set up? Yeah I wouldn't call that RPG. The reason WHY FF series is one of the BEST rpg games is because of story line! If a rpg doesn't have a good story line it's got crap. You have to be able to get inside your character and live for him, right now i am playing FF Dissedia which is a mixture of figthing and RPG and I love it. I have completed the individual characters first and now redoing them so that I may be able to collect all the hidden gear as well.

Saintly
22nd November 2009, 11:08 PM
started playing FF XII: Revenant Wings (on DS) yesterday.. so far so good!

OrionPax
23rd November 2009, 12:34 AM
Just started on devil survivor. Seems quite good

Lint
10th December 2009, 04:21 PM
I've heard a lot of rave about "the world ends with you", don't see what the fuss is about plus I'm not a fan of the gameplay elements. Admittedly i'm not far into the game, does it dramatically get better the further you go along?

Gutsman Heavy
11th December 2009, 01:06 PM
is that so called "NEW super mario brothers" that has 4 play character set up? Yeah I wouldn't call that RPG. The reason WHY FF series is one of the BEST rpg games is because of story line!

nope, Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story. It is an RPG.
http://www.whattheyplay.com/media/video/brightcove/mario_kart_uk_trailer/1515771888_thumbnail_480x360.jpg

FF sucks it major.

Aerith had it commming hahahaha!

SilverDragon
13th December 2009, 08:12 PM
I've been playing a lot of Fossil Fighters lately.

It's basically like Pokemon, except more like a tactics RPG. Also, it has dinosaurs.

Gutsman Heavy
13th December 2009, 11:28 PM
I've been playing a lot of Fossil Fighters lately.

It's basically like Pokemon, except more like a tactics RPG. Also, it has dinosaurs.

Sounds like a win to me.