PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, Hello and Well Met

dsaint
16th November 2009, 08:16 PM
Hello all (and to some hello again, probably for the first time since 2004, if memory serves),

I've taken the plunge and signed up to my first online forum. I have been an on and off "member" of the Australian transformers community since 1997 ... when there was a newsletter distributed by regular post (a service whereby a "mailman" or "postal worker" delivers a physical document to your house, for those who are not familiar).

Forgive my poor attempt at humor. I have met and known at one point Griffin, who was close to being bored to death by a discussion about Russian history and politics I was having with another person (Belinda it was I believe) and subsequently decided to leave well enough alone I have also met and known for a time Dirge, Belinda (I know not what nickname she goes by these days), Goktimus Prime and some others whose names alas, elude me.

My interest in Transformers has been consistent and longstanding, but my status as a collector has fluctuated with my income and living situation. My main interest is in Generation 1 based product and stories, although after what was a promising start the IDW comics seem to have descended into mediocrity.

I have suffered and do suffer from extreme shyness, to the point where I have never (until now) posted anything to an online forum (or joined for that matter) and have pretty much lived the life of a hermit since mid-high school. Just pointing that out to those who knew me once and never heard from me again (there may be a few of you here).

Outside of Transformers my interests are marvel comics characters (particularly Spider-Man and Magneto) 80s music, current affairs, politics and marxist political economy. Also my cat and my dog.

Now that I've introduced myself and the thrilling story of my life, I need only sit back and bask in the plaudits and stream of invitations to friendship that will no doubt follow.

My cat, pictured, is a lazy, arrogant and at times evil beast, so she shall henceforth be Catcon, as will my nickname. Hoorah!

Regards and congratulations to those that have made it this far,
Dsaint aka Catcon.

The_Damned
16th November 2009, 08:24 PM
greetings and welcome to the forums:). hope to see some pics of your collection soon.

dsaint
16th November 2009, 08:31 PM
Alas, my collection at present is currently living in boxes and other forms of storage containers. A lonely Henkei Prowl, bluetacked to my DVD cupboard. Only my comics and DVD collection have free reign (and finally after many attempts I am gradually working through every Generation 1 cartoon - it was great to see the animated movie in Blu-ray!).

I moved back in (due to circumstances I found myself in) with my parents at the begginning of this year and am still waiting to be allowed to use my sister's former bedroom. Until then my toy collection languishes (oh how it pains me not to have Masterpiece Megatron watching over me while I sleep).

Regards,
Catcon

GoktimusPrime
16th November 2009, 08:34 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY Welcome Back Dude! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/wb_haruhi.jpg

Outside of Transformers my interests are marvel comics characters (particularly Spider-Man and Magneto) 80s music, current affairs, politics and marxist political economy. Also my cat and my dog.
I seem to recall you reading Wonder Woman at a Sydney fan meet in 1998. <rubs chin>

Anyway, great to have you back, fellow "AusTranner"! ;)

loophole
16th November 2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome fellow Spidey Fan!!

Robzy
16th November 2009, 09:17 PM
Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong! :)

OrionPax
16th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the board! This is my first online forum as well :) I understand...I'm pretty shy as well :o

liegeprime
16th November 2009, 11:04 PM
Mabuhay and welcome to the forum!:)

dirge
17th November 2009, 10:03 AM
Hey. Again. Good to see you around once more (:

griffin
17th November 2009, 11:58 AM
It certainly has been a long time. Nice to see you around these parts again... :)

kup
17th November 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi and welcome!

I also like discussing Russian politics both Tsarist and Communist to post Soviet.

roller
17th November 2009, 03:46 PM
No discussions of politics please

unless its Transformers politics comrades

Jetfire
17th November 2009, 04:04 PM
Добро пожаловать!

dsaint
17th November 2009, 05:42 PM
Jetfire - I used to know how to read Russian and speak a little of it, but having no chances to exercise these skills when I was 15 I quickly lost them...
Kup - I have a general interest in Russian politics/history from Tsarist to present day, but am more interested in post Soviet, and for academic purposes since Putin's presidency to the present day.
Goktimus Prime - My interest in Wonder Woman has now become nostalgic - DC comics stopped making sense to me some time ago - and Wonder Woman was the only character, in their comics that I was keen on (other characters in other media appeal to me, but not their comic counterparts).
To everyone else - Thanks for the kind welcome!

optimus1
17th November 2009, 05:51 PM
Welcome (back) to Ozformers :)

I'm a keen history buff myself, but mainly on ancient Rome.

kup
17th November 2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome (back) to Ozformers :)

I'm a keen history buff myself, but mainly on ancient Rome.

I like that too.

GoktimusPrime
17th November 2009, 07:12 PM
Here's a Russian reading test. Click and drag to see the answers. ;)

Трансформер Transformers
Оптимус Прайм Optimus Prime
Меґатрон Megatron
Автоботи Autobots
Десептикони Decepticons
По́мста поле́глих Revenge of the Fallen

Sam
17th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

I like your cat's name, Catcon. Hahah.

liegeprime
17th November 2009, 11:17 PM
Oh Wonder woman was the comics that started me on the path of collecting Dc. Its mainly due to the detailed artworks and researched myriad Grecian Mythos that proliferated the story and made the whole plot very interesting. Perez's revamp sure works for me. George Perez wonderfully woven these characters and also developed the support characters very well.... It kinda got awry ( post his era) during near the hundreth issue with Artemis taking on the mantle, but I did like the twist and controversy that Hippolyta had a hand in all that:D I used to have all the individual issues but when I migrated here I "donated" them to my comic buddy whom I know will take very good care of em. I now collect the TPB of the Perez era.

1orion2many
18th November 2009, 12:26 AM
No discussions of politics please

unless its Transformers politics comrades

:eek:OMG I can't believe I agree with roller :p:D, Welcome aboard once again :D

Autocon
18th November 2009, 01:34 AM
:eek:OMG I can't believe I agree with roller :p:D, Welcome aboard once again :D

so then: red or blue:p

ps WELCOME aboard!:cool:

kup
18th November 2009, 10:45 AM
But we are not discussing politics, just mentioning our interest in their history.

dsaint
18th November 2009, 07:34 PM
Autocon - Given I lean to the left (in fact so far so that I've fallen to the ground) I'd have to be red (or are talking about Frenzy and Rumble or Democrats and Republicans?)

Catcon is my cat's alternate name - since she now has me as a solo owner since her co-owner left for Chicago, I've discovered she is a transformer and a Decepticon - beneath the cute cuddly surface lies a cold calculating mind capable of great deceit to gain additional food or extra time outside. And she transforms from a cat to a furry headless lump with foot warming properties.

My dog, Bruce the Boxer is an autobot - lovable, dumb and loyal (my G1 sympathies were always with the Decepticons - BW I suppose I rooted for the Maximals mainly because the PRedacons were for the most cardboard cutout characters in the show).

dsaint
18th November 2009, 07:38 PM
LiegePrime - Same for me - I am collecting the TPBs - George Perez's Wonder Woman (or at least when I discovered it in the late 90s) made me realise how awful (in my opinion of course) the Byrne run was - I went back and started collecting as many of his backissues as I could find and found myself enthralled (enough so to give other DC comics a try - it was Wonder Woman [born of myth and clay ] as a concept and my encounters with Byrne's FF that got me to try out Wonder Woman in the first place).

And hello to those additional "welcomerers".

GoktimusPrime
18th November 2009, 09:56 PM
BW I suppose I rooted for the Maximals mainly because the PRedacons were for the most cardboard cutout characters in the show).
Megatron, Dinobot, Blackarachnia and Tarantulas would beg to differ. ;) And everyone knows that the true star of the show was Waspinator! :)

liegeprime
19th November 2009, 09:52 AM
LiegePrime - Same for me - I am collecting the TPBs - George Perez's Wonder Woman (or at least when I discovered it in the late 90s) made me realise how awful (in my opinion of course) the Byrne run was - I went back and started collecting as many of his backissues as I could find and found myself enthralled (enough so to give other DC comics a try - it was Wonder Woman [born of myth and clay ] as a concept and my encounters with Byrne's FF that got me to try out Wonder Woman in the first place).

And hello to those additional "welcomerers".

True, how soooooo 180º the difference between Byrne and Perez in their characterization and art of WW. I stopped collecting the comics after Loebs run due to Byrne's "forehead" woman artworks and simpleton plot stories. I tolerated and somehow now kinda grown to love the "reality" approach Loebs run did to WW by making her lose her royal status and have a new set of back up characters ( even that campy biker chick outfit :p). But Byrne's runs just, well, it's like so predictable - plus the new Gods dont do it for me, it may work with Superman but it feels forced/rushed concept as a plotline. See you at the fair dsaint!:D

dsaint
20th November 2009, 09:26 PM
Goktimus - Hmmm...I'd classify Dinobot and Blackarachnia as Maximals, I'm willing to concede Tarantulas had some depth, Waspinator not so much until right at the end and Megatron I would flat out disagree. He was a cross betweem Dr Claw and the bad guy from the Toxic Avengers cartoon, both of whom I consider lazy cliche villains.

LiegePrime - I didn't get why he always wanted to involve the New Gods, hated the way the Greek Pantheon became reduced to mere super-super beings who got their powers from a freaky cosmic wave and disliked the retcons he made to the Amazons (i.e. Hypolyta no longer being born of the spirit of the cavewoman killed in issue #1 - George Perez clearly intended her to be pregnant). Anyway I guess I should leave the Wonder Woman discussion for another time, another place. With luck I'll see you on Sunday.