PDA

View Full Version : IDW Transformers ongoing [spoilers]

Pages : [1] 2

Paulbot
20th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Yes we've seen a lot of this comic book in online previews, but it is on sale now. What did people think?

I enjoyed this issue and think the previews showing things out of context hurt the book

The good
*robots in disguise theme is done well
*human reaction to the TFs is believable (and it's not that G1 cartoon everyone's friends)
*the colouring is quite beautiful
*Don's art is still pretty great
*the battle spread seen in early previews is not an actual event (so lots of chars aren't suddenly back from the dead)
*unexpected cameos
*the Decepticon threat is mostly out of sight

The bad
*the teeth... yes they are annoying but can easily be overlooked
*humanoid bodies... a bit too humanoid in some cases
*an odd time shift towards the end when it jumped to flashbacks
*random Autobots... characters who weren't seen in AHM appear on Earth now or are name-checked
*Prime's angst is a bit familiar, and not really groundbreaking or newspaper worthy

I'm looking forward to issue 2.

Gutsman Heavy
21st November 2009, 02:04 PM
I liked it, I would have liked it more if it weren't for the spoilers, thanks IDW!

I like the new art style, its what the movies should have looked like IMO. The teeth are weird...

Sad to see Ironhide get snuffed, I hope Hot Rod doesn't become leader. Disappointed to see Drift again (bloody Mary-Sues) but at least he just stood there, but I'm still scarred after his Spotlight and really want him gone!

heroic_decepticon
21st November 2009, 11:10 PM
flicked through this quickly at the comic shop. Didn't quite like the art direction.

Agree with Gutsman, I don't see the point in Drift (I mean why create a new character, and even grant him a Spotlight, when there are literally hundreds of existing G1 transformers to choose from).

Sky Shadow
22nd November 2009, 06:40 PM
Some good stuff here - the story's not too bad and the art's fine if you keep squinting until all the characters just look like blurry blocks of colour. So, it looks like this storyline is going to be about what life is like for the Autobots without Optimus Prime. WTH?:confused: Wasn't that what they did in All Hail Megatron? The IDW story immediately before this one? And the letters page claims "Hopefully, you found this issue accessible and fun, too". What exactly was fun about twenty-four pages of angst?

SMHFConvoy
22nd November 2009, 07:47 PM
24 pages of angst? Sign me up! ;-) Makes you wonder what was so wrong with Furman's direction to spend the last two years re-inventing the series...

heroic_decepticon
22nd November 2009, 07:48 PM
So, it looks like this storyline is going to be about what life is like for the Autobots without Optimus Prime. WTH?:confused: Wasn't that what they did in All Hail Megatron? The IDW story immediately before this one?

this life without Prime thing is seriously over done. Makes me think they still have not stepped out of the shadow of G1 Marvel (post Game Over Optimus Prime stories) and Marvel UK (Prey).

griffin
22nd November 2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that plot sounds a bit too unoriginal to be interesting.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I'd prefer to have Optimus hanging around, following the loss of a close friend (Ironhide), but to have self doubt about him and his actions, prompting a select few close to him to guide him (their leader) through the tough time, and eventually become stronger in the long run (a secondary story arc that could go 6-12 issues).
We get to see the strengths and weaknesses of a character's personality and how they grow as a 'person' through a tragedy, inspiring others around them in the process. Not to mention highlighting divisions between those supportive of Optimus, and those who question the reliability of a leader with self-doubt, to the point of advocating for a change of leadership.

GoktimusPrime
23rd November 2009, 01:07 PM
I like G1 style. I like movie style. I do _not_ like mixing the two together. (-_-) Gawd... all the Transformers looked like someone had come along and ripped their lips off, so they look like they're gritting their teeth and snarling.

Breakdown: "Ggrrr, give me more jaAmEnergon! Grr!"
Hot Rod: "Grrr, this sucks, let's stomp some heads. Grr!"
Prowl: "Grr, I can't sit back and watch this. Oh crap, it's a grap. Grrr!"
Optimus Prime: "Grrr, it's taken me two years to realise that I've been a crap leader. Grr!"
(you _know_ that Prime is gritting his teeth under that faceplate!!)
Bumblebee: "Grr, our facial expressions make us all look constipated, grr!"
...etc.
You know that the artwork is dubious when they have to label each Transformer so you can tell who is who! Oh look, Drift's still around. (<_<)

When Hot Rod told Prime off I just thought, wow... he's stating the obvious. Could Prime have been so blind that he didn't realise this for two years?! What was the point of remaining on Earth?!? If Prime was really concerned about more capable Decepticons returning, then why not just leave a small group (or even an individual Autobot) to monitor things; and they could activate a beacon to summon more Autobot reinforcements should a Decepticon threat arise. This was done in Transformers Generation 2 where the Autobots left Earth and gave a beacon to G.I. Joe; now it doesn't seem that the Autobots here have any human organisations that they can trust, but perhaps they could leave a lone Autobot (or a small team) behind with access to this beacon in a hidden and secured location (or the Autobot(s) could carry it on them).

It seems odd to me that Optimus Prime would even allow things to get this bad for the Autobots. And the idea of Optimus Prime walking out on the Autobots is nothing new either. Meh.

The fact that the humans view all Transformers as being a threat is interesting and provides a nice complication for our protagonists. It reminds me of early G1 with III and RAAT only that Skywatch is _way_ more dangerous to the Autobots with their reverse-engineered Cybertronian technology. Another neat moment when Prowl broke cover and risked himself to save Breakdown. I found it interesting that Prowl referred to Breakdown as "one of our own"; it seems that in an environment where the humans don't make the distinction between Autobot and Decepticon and hunt them all equally, that the Autobots would feel a closer kinship with the Decepticons against a common threat (and I wonder if any of the Decepticons might feel the same, perhaps moreso considering that they seem to have been abandoned by the other Decepticons who've left Earth).

Gutsman Heavy
23rd November 2009, 01:10 PM
While the art does looks like it could be a mix between Movie & G1, Don has stated that its his way of making the TFs look less cartoony, not a movie style merge.

GoktimusPrime
23rd November 2009, 09:37 PM
meh, either way I'm not a fan of it. Although aside from the style-aesthetics, technically his artwork is getting better. His characters are no longer all chunky (which particularly makes his humans look a lot better) and he's drawing hands a lot better too. :)

kup
25th November 2009, 04:05 PM
I seem to have missed out on the first issue so it seems to be a long wait to the paperback before I read it but if reader reviews deteriorates before then I may give it a miss altogether.

i_amtrunks
26th November 2009, 10:54 AM
After reading the first issue, I find myself even more disappointed than I thought I would be.

It felt stale, everything I read I have read before elsewhere, and often done better. The artwork is jarring, but tolerable if you can block out each characters face.

Glad I borrowed a copy and didnt pay for it.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2009, 02:57 PM
The thing that really bugs me about the art is the lack of visual continuity. Is there any reason why they all suddenly look different (and why they still look like that in flashbacks too)?? I don't really like it when characters just suddenly start looking different for no apparent reason. We had it before in AHM when guys like Prowl and Sideswipe suddenly started looking like their Universe toy versions (so did Sunstreaker, but it's since been explained), as well as the Decepticon jets suddenly looking like their Masterpiece moulds and transforming into F15s, which feels like a downgrade from their former F22 forms. (-_-) And again, no apparent reason, but at least when they had flashbacks they were still in their old forms - so there's no direct contradiction, just an unexplained time gap during which apparently some of them changed forms.

Now I might be able to accept that during the 2 years since AHM and this new series that the Transformers might have all changed their appearance, but as I said, it doesn't make sense that they still have this hybrid movie appearance when they have flashbacks back to the AHM period or even long before then (such as the flashback with Optimus Prime and Ironhide back on Cybertron back when Prime was still a rookie officer). Gah!

Now I know that this kind of unexplained cosmetic change is nothing new to Transformers; it's happened since G1 started (e.g.: shift from toy-accurate to show-like art); but I guess the difference is that in G1 they shifted from one kind of G1 style (toy-accurate) to another kind of G1 style (show-models), so they feel more cross-compatible to me. But here they've shifted from a neo-G1 style to a hybrid movie style which doesn't feel as compatible. Purely just my personal taste of course.

But yeah, from a visual continuity POV it doesn't make sense to me. :/

Lord_Zed
26th November 2009, 11:05 PM
Suddenly changing art style has always been a part of Transformers. in the old UK comic characters would change colour, gain or loose visors, eyes, teeth and all sorts of other things depending on the visual style of the artist, so yeah I'm used to that. Not a huge fan of this sudden change though, particularly prominent is Hot Rod who has been through at leas 4 changes so far, even discounting the style changes.

Anyways I read the issue, and looks to me like yet another Transformers re-boot, but this time with a little more continuity to keep us loudmouthed complaining Transfans happy. Although to be honest it's a bit late in the day and I tire of constant rehash.

Anyways I can sum up what I thought below, beware possible spoilerage.

On the like side of things:
* Humans fear and hate Transformers (and well they should).
* Non Geewun characters have returned from hiatus (yay)
* Knocking of a classic G1 character in issue one (yeah it was no surprise thanks to the preview, but at least it shows they have the will to kill off cast members)

Dislike
* Spike, he's a huge prat. Sure he doesn't like TF's which is a nice change, but he is the cliched, wise cracking, man of action. Shessh now that IDW has both licences they should have just borrowed Flint from GI Joe. Bizarre to say it, but I miss Verity now.
* Those damn teeth!!!!!!
* Prowl acting out of character, or at least completely at odds with his last appearance in the AHM Coda.
* Prime reverted to compassionate hippie self. Well not quite but he is channelling the old Marvel Prime a bit. I can't understand why the autobots are staying on earth, to protect earth from some presumed decepticon threat. And by doing so coming into conflict with humans and if anything increasing the chance of tragedy.

Things that make me go huh?

*The War is over, what? when did this happen? And why? cause Megatron got shot? AHM implied that all over the galaxy the Autobots had been wiped out and the Decepticons had been victorious. Do I smell another ret-con. how can Prime worry so much about earth when all over the galaxy the Deceps have been wiping out life everywhere?

*Which brings me to the new transformer arrivals, where did they come from? What happened to the Autobots being driven to the brink of destruction?

Oh well what can I say? Transformer comics have become just like their namesake, just when you think you know what's going on, they transform into something completely different.

Gutsman Heavy
27th November 2009, 02:33 PM
IDW have stated that they wont be enforcing a house style on the new book, so who ever works on it can draw the characters as they want to, so if Don does it we get skelly-bots, and if (hypothetically) Guido Guidi does it we'll get classic bots etc.

The Bumblebee & Wreckers mini series will be in continuity but will have a different art style.

Sky Shadow
27th November 2009, 05:36 PM
And the letters page claims "Hopefully, you found this issue accessible and fun, too". What exactly was fun about twenty-four pages of angst?

I've been thinking about this, and I'm now sure that one of the reasons IDW has to keep rebooting the series every six months or every year is that the comics aren't accessible (or fun). Even I find them hard going and I have a degree in English literature and twenty-five years of immersion in Transformers lore. I know that one of the reasons for this is that these days comics are 'written for the trade', that is, it's not about the individual issues, but how they all fit together when they're published as a trade paperback. Except that this is stupid. Firstly, I buy comics monthly. As one of the people who does this, I assume I'm in some way supporting the comic's future – presumably there can't even be a trade paperback if the comic goes under due to no one reading it on a month-to-month basis. I want to be able to read and enjoy them one by one, but I can't, because I can never remember exactly what happened in the previous issue. And now I realise that the reason I can't do that is because nothing of note ever did happen in the previous issue. Which is also the reason I can't enjoy the comic I'm actually reading either - because nothing interesting is happening there either. And the vicious cycle continues.

Tell me any issue number of a Marvel US or UK comic and I can almost certainly tell you what happened in that issue off the top of my head. Sure, something 'wacky' may have happened, like 'the Decepticons ran an evil car wash' or 'the Decepticons ran an evil island resort' or 'the Decepticons ran an evil charitable organisation', but something happened every issue. Actually, a whole bunch of stuff happened every issue - each Transformers comic was an actual fully formed story with a beginning, middle and end, and that story then fit into a greater tapestry. Even if it was in the middle of a big story arc, each issue was still about something. A kid could pick up any issue off the newsstand and actually enjoy it. But ask me what happened in issue #3 of All Hail Megatron (or issue #9 or #10 or pretty much any issue of AHM for that matter) or in any issue of Infiltration or Escalation or... that other one (Desperation?) and I have absolutely no idea. Don't get me wrong, I love story arcs. But within the story arc, each issue has to have an individual story or it's just wasting my time. And to be fair, it's not just IDW - it was as bad or worse with Dreamwave... and we know what happened to them. In my opinion, decompression is killing Transformers comics. But a bit of fun and some real storytelling could bring them back to life. I have all my fingers crossed for The Last Stand Of The Wreckers. (Help me Nick Roche! You're my only hope.)

kup
27th November 2009, 06:27 PM
I've been thinking about this, and I'm now sure that one of the reasons IDW has to keep rebooting the series every six months or every year is that the comics aren't accessible (or fun). Even I find them hard going and I have a degree in English literature and twenty-five years of immersion in Transformers lore. I know that one of the reasons for this is that these days comics are 'written for the trade', that is, it's not about the individual issues, but how they all fit together when they're published as a trade paperback. Except that this is stupid. Firstly, I buy comics monthly. As one of the people who does this, I assume I'm in some way supporting the comic's future – presumably there can't even be a trade paperback if the comic goes under due to no one reading it on a month-to-month basis. I want to be able to read and enjoy them one by one, but I can't, because I can never remember exactly what happened in the previous issue. And now I realise that the reason I can't do that is because nothing of note ever did happen in the previous issue. Which is also the reason I can't enjoy the comic I'm actually reading either - because nothing interesting is happening there either. And the vicious cycle continues.

Tell me any issue number of a Marvel US or UK comic and I can almost certainly tell you what happened in that issue off the top of my head. Sure, something 'wacky' may have happened, like 'the Decepticons ran an evil car wash' or 'the Decepticons ran an evil island resort' or 'the Decepticons ran an evil charitable organisation', but something happened every issue. Actually, a whole bunch of stuff happened every issue - each Transformers comic was an actual fully formed story with a beginning, middle and end, and that story then fit into a greater tapestry. Even if it was in the middle of a big story arc, each issue was still about something. A kid could pick up any issue off the newsstand and actually enjoy it. But ask me what happened in issue #3 of All Hail Megatron (or issue #9 or #10 or pretty much any issue of AHM for that matter) or in any issue of Infiltration or Escalation or... that other one (Desperation?) and I have absolutely no idea. Don't get me wrong, I love story arcs. But within the story arc, each issue has to have an individual story or it's just wasting my time. And to be fair, it's not just IDW - it was as bad or worse with Dreamwave... and we know what happened to them. In my opinion, decompression is killing Transformers comics. But a bit of fun and some real storytelling could bring them back to life. I have all my fingers crossed for The Last Stand Of The Wreckers. (Help me Nick Roche! You're my only hope.)

I couldn't agree with this more.

Lord_Zed
27th November 2009, 06:41 PM
I think part of the problem is all comics these days aspire to be more like pen and paper movies, or tv series than comics. It's all big splash panels and art, while the story often feels pruned to fit the visuals. Before the 2000's comics In my opinion always felt more filling, they had thought bubbles, explanation boxes and footnotes to help comunicate the story to the reader, even the panels themselves were often part of the story. Sure it all became a bit cliche, but it's stuff like that that makes comics unique compared to novels and film.

They should go back to drawing on the unique strengths of the mediums rather than making them more like another medium.

Anyways that's my rant done, back to the new TF series.

Sky Shadow
27th November 2009, 07:29 PM
It's all big splash panels and art, while the story often feels pruned to fit the visuals. Before the 2000's comics In my opinion always felt more filling, they had thought bubbles, explanation boxes and footnotes to help comunicate the story to the reader, even the panels themselves were often part of the story. Sure it all became a bit cliche, but it's stuff like that that makes comics unique compared to novels and film.

I agree with this too - I think another of the problems with modern comics is that artists a) realised that they could get more money from selling full splash pages of art to the original comic art market than what they'd get for pages of grid-like panels and b) would rather draw one 'kewl' splash page of a robot in action than have to draw a six-to-nine panel page full of storytelling and backgrounds. And at the same time, writers thought "well then why bother writing a detailed story with exposition, conflict, subplots, rising action, a climax, falling action and a dénouement when we can just script a decompressed issue of nothingness with massive panels and splash page after splash page?" :(

GoktimusPrime
28th November 2009, 09:34 AM
Very well said Sky Shadow. The great thing with the old Marvel G1/G2 comics was that we did get individual stories in each issue and a story arc! Take the Matrix Quest for example, each part is a contained story, i.e.:
Part 1: Detective mystery
Part 2: Wild west frontier with vampires!
Part 3: An Autobot's quest for personal vengeance
Part 4: Thriller/horror
Part 5: All out action aboard the Ark as the Matrix completes its journey to the dark side
...yet collectively they all form a single story arc (which had beginnings from issues long before the saga even started! (e.g. Deathbringer)). These issues can be easily read and enjoyed either on their own or all together. For example, you could pick up any of these issues without ever having read a Transformer comic before and still follow the story and enjoy it.

That's something I find sorely lacking in Transformers comics these days. :(

heroic_decepticon
28th November 2009, 05:56 PM

What you said, iss close to biblical truth as its going to get.

SilverDragon
5th December 2009, 09:10 PM
For everyone who doesn't like the broken faces, here's something you may like. (http://markerguru.deviantart.com/art/IDW-Autobots-145584277)

It's amazing what simply changing the head design can do.

Sam
5th December 2009, 09:27 PM
For everyone who doesn't like the broken faces, here's something you may like. (http://markerguru.deviantart.com/art/IDW-Autobots-145584277)

Thanks for the link. For myself, I like those faces much more than the other ones.

kup
6th December 2009, 02:04 PM

Wow! That's a massive improvement!

GoktimusPrime
6th December 2009, 02:45 PM
amazing how much improvement a... facelift... can make!

badoom-TISH!

roller
8th December 2009, 02:05 AM
one the issue 1 cover of them running on a grid

is hardhead on the back cover?

Sky Shadow
20th December 2009, 04:08 PM
Well... wow. I just read issue #2 and - with the exception of any pages with humans on them (which are all ubercrap) - this is one of the better Transformers comics I've read in recent years. I've even gotten used to the faces (although what's with the colourist whacking flat two-dimensional Autobot and Decepticon faction stickers on the characters at unrealistic angles?) I love stories where there's not just a black and white (or red and purple) Autobot-Decepticon divide, and this does it well. (Plus... Swindle and Spyglass. Yay!)

Lord_Zed
20th December 2009, 07:09 PM
Well... wow. I just read issue #2 and - with the exception of any pages with humans on them (which are all ubercrap) - this is one of the better Transformers comics I've read in recent years. I've even gotten used to the faces (although what's with the colourist whacking flat two-dimensional Autobot and Decepticon faction stickers on the characters at unrealistic angles?) I love stories where there's not just a black and white (or red and purple) Autobot-Decepticon divide, and this does it well. (Plus... Swindle and Spyglass. Yay!)

The faces are actualy quite a bit different in issue 2, they are no longer growling at everyone, and the whole construction of the face is different. I can't say I like it better than the classic look, but I must admit the faces in issue 2 do actualy succeed at making Transformers look less cartoony without making them look disgustingly ugly.

I agree the story was better, though there are still many things unexplained if you try and connect the dots with the previous comics, and yes the humans more stereotypical and paperthin than ever. I read Kup's copy of the comic, and it's improved from issue one yeah, but I'm not buying into this one just yet.

kup
25th December 2009, 02:22 PM
Iy seems that the fugly faces were Hasbro's idea afterall:

ActionFigs.com: Does Hasbro have an opinion about IDW rebooting the comic book series several times now? Are the hybrid designs from the G1 and Movie stylings in the comic Hasbro's idea or IDW's?

Hasbro: IDW has had great success with their Transformers comics. When they decided to start an on-going series there was a need to make a splash so fans would know that issue #1 was the next step in Transformers comics, so we decided that a new look would help.
Like Hasbro's relationship with all of our partners we were involved every step of the way, including a change to the new design in order to reflect a forward moving style for a more modern feel.

http://p11.hostingprod.com/@kupscigar.com/fun/fuglyrod.jpg

GoktimusPrime
26th December 2009, 11:28 AM
Wahahahahaha! Win! :D

I gotta get this off my chest, Cliffjumper calling Bumblebee "BB" really gives me the sh*ts.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_pain.gif
Note to self: if I ever meet this writer, SLAP him. (no, it's not so bad that it's worth a janglies attack... just a good pimpslap will do)

I thought the story was okay, but I personally preferred Bumblebee #1. One strange thing... WHY are they referring to Octane as Tankor and Bluestreak as Silverstreak?! Don't tell me that IDW has lost the rights to use these names as comic book characters. (-_-) And if the excuse is to support Hasbro, then why are they still calling Hot Rod "Hot Rod" instead of "Rodimus"? Gah! Another weird thing... in #2 they cited Silverstreak as one of the Autobots who deserted Bumblebee's Autobots and left with Hot Rodimus, yet in Bumblebee #1 we see Silverstreak (coloured BLUE!) standing among Bumblebee's Autobots in the cave! Buh?!

kup
26th December 2009, 11:53 AM
Wahahahahaha! Win! :D

I gotta get this off my chest, Cliffjumper calling Bumblebee "BB" really gives me the sh*ts.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_pain.gif
Note to self: if I ever meet this writer, SLAP him. (no, it's not so bad that it's worth a janglies attack... just a good pimpslap will do)

I thought the story was okay, but I personally preferred Bumblebee #1. One strange thing... WHY are they referring to Octane as Tankor and Bluestreak as Silverstreak?! Don't tell me that IDW has lost the rights to use these names as comic book characters. (-_-) And if the excuse is to support Hasbro, then why are they still calling Hot Rod "Hot Rod" instead of "Rodimus"? Gah! Another weird thing... in #2 they cited Silverstreak as one of the Autobots who deserted Bumblebee's Autobots and left with Hot Rodimus, yet in Bumblebee #1 we see Silverstreak (coloured BLUE!) standing among Bumblebee's Autobots in the cave! Buh?!

Maybe in this reboot (don't know what else to call it) Bluestreak and Silverstreak are separate characters - But it smells more of stuff up..

In regards to 'Tankor' and also 'Silverstreak', it's possible that Hasbro is pushing these names to promote the toys. Hot Rod isn't being enforced as Rodimus because the Classics toy has not been sold within Hasbro markets for a couple of years. This is also probably why he is not being forced to have a 'Classics' body.

roller
26th December 2009, 01:16 PM
Movie optimus is on the bottom of page 5!!! Really though, who is standing behind Jazz?

The enforcer of the Tyrest accord shows up at the end, but in the Bumblebee comic he is absent. Continuity errors are not fun IDW!

Tommy K
26th December 2009, 05:54 PM
hey who are the guys whom arent gunna buy the comics anymore because of the comic book style, sigh im sick and tired of people dishing this thing, i know how some people can get hooked up on things, sometime you guys have to just think of it in another perspective, plus i dont understand what you guys mean by angry faces, sigh but i guess you guys are dishing it for not just the artwork but also the writing, i myself also like the writing of it, i thought it was awesome when

spoiler alert:

ultra magnus came out of his ship

he was all like

" look at me and all my awesomeness"

and then you see the cover of the next issue and was like YEAH, (MICHAEL BAY) EXPLOSIONS!, KABLAMOOWWWWW!!! BOOOM, PEW PEW PEW, and then after all the sound effects your like, haaaawwwwwyeah, let the awesomeness seep in lmao

kup
26th December 2009, 06:54 PM
hey who are the guys whom arent gunna buy the comics anymore because of the comic book style, sigh im sick and tired of people dishing this thing, i know how some people can get hooked up on things, sometime you guys have to just think of it in another perspective, plus i dont understand what you guys mean by angry faces, sigh but i guess you guys are dishing it for not just the artwork but also the writing, i myself also like the writing of it, i thought it was awesome when

spoiler alert:

ultra magnus came out of his ship

he was all like

" look at me and all my awesomeness"

and then you see the cover of the next issue and was like YEAH, (MICHAEL BAY) EXPLOSIONS!, KABLAMOOWWWWW!!! BOOOM, PEW PEW PEW, and then after all the sound effects your like, haaaawwwwwyeah, let the awesomeness seep in lmao

See Lil'former comic in the page before.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2009, 10:34 AM
kuzzy: I'll still buy this comic despite the fact that I don't like the art. First of all, to me the art isn't as important as the story, and I don't dislike the story so much that I would stop collecting/reading it. If I can survive AHM I can survive this. ;) If I gave up on Transformers because of shoddy artwork..... phwoar... I probably would've skipped a few G1 Marvel issues (like US#68 (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/7/73/MarvelUS-68.jpg); horrific art from Dwayne Turner but a pivotal story showing the formation of the Neo Knights)! But sometimes you get well written stories accompanied with bad art.

And tbh the artwork _isn't_ technically bad (unlike say, Pat Lee). It's just drawn in a particular style that I don't like, but that's just my personal taste. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it's not as if he's committing technical flaws such as grossly ignoring proportions and forced linear perspective (unlike say, Pat Lee).

SilverDragon
27th December 2009, 01:21 PM
I thought the story was okay, but I personally preferred Bumblebee #1. One strange thing... WHY are they referring to Octane as Tankor and Bluestreak as Silverstreak?! Don't tell me that IDW has lost the rights to use these names as comic book characters. (-_-) And if the excuse is to support Hasbro, then why are they still calling Hot Rod "Hot Rod" instead of "Rodimus"? Gah!

I'm pretty sure they're doing the name change to pimp Universe toys (despite the fact that the line is basically over-finished!)-why else did Sunstreaker have his Universe toy design in AHM?

They're probably saving Rodimus for when Hot Rod becomes the Autobot leader.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2009, 05:29 PM
why else did Sunstreaker have his Universe toy design in AHM?
Fair point, although they did provide a back story to explain that physical change. It was still inconsistent though... Prowl also got 'upgraded' to his Universe toy form and I don't recall any explanation for that. Ironhide, Ratchet and Jazz never got changed to their Universe toy forms either. Neither did Hound iirc. None of the Decepticons look like their Universe toys.

It's the inconsistency that bugs me. If they want to make a proper Classics/Universe comic then just go (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/0/01/Classics_Ultramagnus_Springer_Grimlock_comic.jpg) make (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/d/d0/Classicscomicautobots.jpg) one (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/7/71/Megatronclassicscrossingover.jpg)!

They're probably saving Rodimus for when Hot Rod becomes the Autobot leader.
Well he's currently the leader of a rogue faction of Autobots and they're still calling him Hot Rod. :/ It would also be inconsistent with Hasbro's recent policy with naming Hot Rod Rodimus (http://www.transformersclassics.com/news/data/upimages/rodimus_box.jpg) and Rodimus Prime as Rodimus Prime (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/38/rodimusprime002.jpg).

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Aaron Archer had anything to do with this. :/

roller
30th December 2009, 02:17 PM
How long till they reboot the comics again i wonder

kup
30th December 2009, 03:18 PM
How long till they reboot the comics again i wonder

I give it 3 months :)

roller
30th December 2009, 05:36 PM
hahaha i agree

But if they do/when they do

i bet they have to start again, fresh, no continuation of this story/continuity

Or theyd do a Dreamwave and die

heroic_decepticon
30th December 2009, 05:38 PM
this sort of trend is very disturbing

kup
30th December 2009, 06:00 PM
hahaha i agree

But if they do/when they do

i bet they have to start again, fresh, no continuation of this story/continuity

Or theyd do a Dreamwave and die

I am sure that it will be yet another case of 'its in continuity because we say so and now excuse us while we go and attempt (but fail) to fix the derailed story line with a few very mediocre issues that actually do the opposite'

Blink90210
31st December 2009, 03:31 PM
I haven't had a chance to read Bumblebee yet but I've finally caught up on #2.
Better than #1, face designs aren't as jarring and I don't think it's because we've become more tolerant of them. Story-wise, it's still not really doing much for me but I'll give it until the end of the first arc. Who am I kidding, I'll keep buying them out of habit but I have hope that once all the ground work is laid, it'll really pick up. Much like X-2 was a huge improvement after the plodding start that was the first X-men movie.

heroic_decepticon
31st December 2009, 03:40 PM
Who am I kidding, I'll keep buying them out of habit but I have hope that once all the ground work is laid, it'll really pick up. Much like X-2 was a huge improvement after the plodding start that was the first X-men movie.

They seem to be laying and re-laying ground work for years and years already... I'd be much happier if they did comics like the good old days - start at #1 and then just go on till #80 or whenever it is that it must stop.

Blink90210
31st December 2009, 06:02 PM
They seem to be laying and re-laying ground work for years and years already... I'd be much happier if they did comics like the good old days - start at #1 and then just go on till #80 or whenever it is that it must stop.

that would be nice, I understand that there's the whole thing about "getting new readers" necessitating reboots and "re-laying" of ground work but I think Transformers comics are niche enough that the people buying them are like me doing it out of habit. Sure there'd be some new-comers since that AWESOME Transformers 2 movie would have made SO MANY new fans but aside from those people, it's the die-hards like us.

kup
31st December 2009, 06:11 PM
I have to admit that the habit is hard to break. Although I haven't enjoyed much since the first issues of AHM, I continued to get them. However I find the new Ongoing to be somewhat lame and mediocre so I am actually putting my foot down and not buying them any more unless there is a huge and consistent improvement.

The Bumblebee comic started off great so I will continue to buy that. I am also looking forward to Roche's wreckers.

i_amtrunks
2nd January 2010, 03:05 PM
I am also looking forward to Roche's wreckers.

It's the only series I will be picking up as issues, I have given up on the ongoing, and am waiting to see if Bumblebee is worth getting as a trade.

SMHFConvoy
2nd January 2010, 03:59 PM

The problem is that when the licence changes hands the new company is going to want to make it's own mark. Who's to say that if TF had remained in Marvels hands that they wouldn't reboot it anyway. They keep doing it to their own properties. Sheesh look at how DC keeps rebooting it's Wildstorm sub-line.

GoktimusPrime
2nd January 2010, 09:45 PM
Marvel made Transformer comics across two offices in New York and London for 10 years (1984-1994) without ever rebooting continuity. There were a few retcons made but never a whole continuity reboot. Continuity became more consistent after 1989 when Furman replaced Budiansky in writing the US comics allowing for greater fidelity between the US and UK stories.

I don't think we really had a 'real' continuity reboot until 2003 with Transformers Armada (or arguably 2000's Car Robot (RiD), but it's since been officially retconned as being in-continuity with G1, so technically Armada is the first continuity reboot that remains a reboot).

JustOwen
16th January 2010, 02:02 AM
has anyone read issue 3?

i_amtrunks
16th January 2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah I've read it.

I prefer Blurr having an Earthen based alt mode than the futuristic hover car mode he has in the Bumblebee #2 preview. Pretty much another bunch of Autobots leave Bumblebee's team, ongoing #3 actually takes place before Bumblebee #1.

Comic kinda goes... Ultra Magnus is a tool, Ultra Magnus is a tool, Autobots leave, and Witwicky makes a powerplay of sorts.

It's not a bad issue, but it really doesnt have any other feel than it's setting up future issues(which it should!)

kup
20th January 2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah I've read it.

I prefer Blurr having an Earthen based alt mode than the futuristic hover car mode he has in the Bumblebee #2 preview. Pretty much another bunch of Autobots leave Bumblebee's team, ongoing #3 actually takes place before Bumblebee #1.

Comic kinda goes... Ultra Magnus is a tool, Ultra Magnus is a tool, Autobots leave, and Witwicky makes a powerplay of sorts.

It's not a bad issue, but it really doesnt have any other feel than it's setting up future issues(which it should!)

I read it too. I thought it was a typical mediocre IDW issue in which nothing happens. I summarize it in this way:

'Hey looky here it's Jetfire!'
'Magnus is a dick and leaves to do dicky things'
'Spike is cool and a rebel, man!'

Aside from that nothing else really happens and I am glad that I didn't pay to read it as its pretty crappy.

When it comes to Blurr - It's not just 'style' now but jarring art inconsistencies as Blurr has an Earth mode here but in Bumblebee #2 (which takes place at most a couple of days later) he has a Cybertronian mode - That makes no freaking sense and it shows that everyone at IDW just do whatever they want with little coordination. At least Bumblebee despite the changes to the robot design - He still transforms into a VW beetle.

Looking forward to Bumblebee 2 because despite the 'bonkers' continuity its in, the first issue was rather well written and executed. I am also very much looking forward to Wreckers.

JustOwen
20th January 2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/idw-publishing-solicitations-for-april-2010-169023/

I have a feeling that Hot Rod asked Jetfire to upgrade the cons with the combiner tech.
smart move.

heroic_decepticon
20th January 2010, 06:43 PM

It seems that IDW is constantly "setting up" for later issues. Just leaves me wondering when the real action is going to happen. :confused:

i_amtrunks
20th January 2010, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling that Hot Rod asked Jetfire to upgrade the cons with the combiner tech.
smart move.

I thought he was backward engineering the badges that prevented humans getting more than a 6 mile radius of a TF location, that is until I saw the size of the ones Bee and his team were wearing.

If Hotrod has combiner tech, then wouldn't the constructicons be a better option, especially since they'd probably end up joining with the Stunitcons

Sky Shadow
20th January 2010, 09:55 PM
With the exception of the humans, who are crap as usual, I actually think this is brilliant. Here we have Ultra Magnus, a detective with no sense of humour who does things by the book (I can hear Robert Stack's 'Unsolved Mysteries' voice as I read this), who's sent to investigate the death of Ironhide and the defection of Optimus Prime. And so for once we actually get someone who questions the fact that a Transformer other than Optimus Prime has died, not just accept it as a normal case of Furmanesque cannon fodder.

i_amtrunks
21st January 2010, 09:29 AM
I thought he was backward engineering the badges that prevented humans getting more than a 6 mile radius of a TF location, that is until I saw the size of the ones Bee and his team were wearing.

If Hotrod has combiner tech, then wouldn't the constructicons be a better option, especially since they'd probably end up joining with the Stunitcons

And to prove how wrong I was, out comes a cover for Ongoing #6 (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idw-publishing-april-2010-transformers-comic-solicitations/17691/) :D

be warned there are also spoilers for the entire Wreckers comic...

kup
21st January 2010, 10:24 AM
And to prove how wrong I was, out comes a cover for Ongoing #6 (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idw-publishing-april-2010-transformers-comic-solicitations/17691/) :D

be warned there are also spoilers for the entire Wreckers comic...

I also don't understand why IDW has a need to spoil the reader 3-5 issues ahead with ill thought out press announcements and covers.

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2010, 11:24 AM
smart move.
It'd be smarter if he assembled a gestalt team comprised of both Autobots and Decepticons. That way it would keep the gestalt loyal to the Autobot-Decepticon alliance and prevent betrayal to either side. It would be neat to see a gestalt made up of a mish-mash of Stunticons, Combaticons, Protectobots, Aerialbots etc., à la Scramble City and just like the way we used to play with them as kids. ;D

However I imagine that one problem with this is that a combined Autobot-Decepticon gestalt mind would be hideously unstable. Gestalt minds can be unstable enough as they are, even when solely comprised of members of their own team; e.g.: Devastator (each Constructicon is too self-interested to sufficiently cooperate, causing much confusion in Devastator's mind), Menasor (all the Stunticons hate Motormaster) etc. -- the animosity and distrust between the Autobot and Decepticon members of a mixed team could potentially drive the gestalt insane and potentially leave them with another Monstructor on their hands. Heh, that would be kinda cool actually... but I can see why Hot Rod & Co. would be hesitant against creating an Autobot-Decepticon gestalt.

Perhaps Jetfire could install three buttons on the gestalt's back that shuts it down when they're all pressed! :p :D

I agree with i_amtrunks: I like Ultra Magnus here. Strictly professional. :) And even though I'm not fond of the hybrid moofie-neo-G1 art style, I must admit that I fangasmed over seeing Ultra Magnus transform. ;D

Paulbot
26th February 2010, 05:25 PM
Issue 4 is the best issue of this series yet IMHO and I enjoyed it's Spotlight type take on Thundercracker while it still developed the subplots. Keep up the good work IDW.

SMHFConvoy
27th February 2010, 12:46 PM
It'd be smarter if he assembled a gestalt team comprised of both Autobots and Decepticons. That way it would keep the gestalt loyal to the Autobot-Decepticon alliance and prevent betrayal to either side. It would be neat to see a gestalt made up of a mish-mash of Stunticons, Combaticons, Protectobots, Aerialbots etc., à la Scramble City and just like the way we used to play with them as kids. ;D

However I imagine that one problem with this is that a combined Autobot-Decepticon gestalt mind would be hideously unstable. Gestalt minds can be unstable enough as they are, even when solely comprised of members of their own team; e.g.: Devastator (each Constructicon is too self-interested to sufficiently cooperate, causing much confusion in Devastator's mind), Menasor (all the Stunticons hate Motormaster) etc. -- the animosity and distrust between the Autobot and Decepticon members of a mixed team could potentially drive the gestalt insane and potentially leave them with another Monstructor on their hands. Heh, that would be kinda cool actually... but I can see why Hot Rod & Co. would be hesitant against creating an Autobot-Decepticon gestalt.

Perhaps Jetfire could install three buttons on the gestalt's back that shuts it down when they're all pressed! :p :D

I agree with i_amtrunks: I like Ultra Magnus here. Strictly professional. :) And even though I'm not fond of the hybrid moofie-neo-G1 art style, I must admit that I fangasmed over seeing Ultra Magnus transform. ;D

I think you're over thinking it there. They could still do it.

GoktimusPrime
2nd March 2010, 10:28 PM
Issue 4 is the best issue of this series yet IMHO and I enjoyed it's Spotlight type take on Thundercracker while it still developed the subplots.
+1. :)

I quite enjoyed this issue. (^_^)

Sky Shadow
30th March 2010, 02:32 PM
#4: the Andy Wildman cover is so pretty. Plus, Voyager Sea Spray was in it!

SharkyMcShark
30th March 2010, 06:34 PM
The new one comes out tomorrow. I'm waiting with baited breath.

Tommy K
7th April 2010, 09:54 PM
got the new issue

ok so spoilers:
ultra magnus assembles the a team i mean "a team" to gather the betrayers

saw it coming

swindle betrays autobot betrayers

saw it coming

the optimus prime speech was nice

so yeah

i hope the next issue makes up for this months

sigh do they have to come out month by month?

GoktimusPrime
11th April 2010, 09:35 PM
Well, a few people saw that coming - and congrats to those peeps.

i_amtrunks
12th April 2010, 01:31 PM
I dont know if it is because Last Stand fo the Wreckers is so good it makes all other TF comics look terrible, but ongoing is pretty much on it's last legs for me.

A whole issue of nothing, a last page "reveal" that if you didn't guess was coming about 2 issues ago, you certainly figured it out by the cover, and art that still needs characters to be captioned or name dropped to tell who they are just dont cut it.

And all you have to do is look at the other main series being released at the time to see how a comic should be done...

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2010, 05:06 PM
SPOILERS AHOY

It was kinda like an issue filled with tense dialogues. Then: "Stunticons Combine!" The End.

Reminds me of the way Randall describes the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in Clerks II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB03lr69iU). ;)
(note: video link not suitable for children)

Tommy K
12th April 2010, 08:46 PM
Reminds me of the way Randall describes the Lord of the Rings Trilogy in Clerks II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB03lr69iU). ;)
(note: video link not suitable for children)

YEAH! TAKE THAT LOTR! it*insert some swears here* because STAR WARS ROCKS AND CAN KICK LOTR'S *insert some extra swears here* and so on lol

SharkyMcShark
17th April 2010, 02:44 PM
God I love the art in this series.

Also can anyone else imagine Ultra Magnus being voiced by Samuel L Jackson in Mace Windu mode?

GoktimusPrime
17th April 2010, 05:09 PM
I hadn't thought of that... but it might just work! I gotta try it next time I'm reading the comic out loud in character voices. ;)

kup
9th May 2010, 01:14 AM
Just finished reading No 6 which is supposedly the last issue of this 'Ongoing' series - At least of this section.

Overall it was a pretty crappy story with a lot of nonsensical character moments and super cheesy dialog.

Like AHM the story here can easily be summarized in one page as several issues have nothing of interest in them. Although I read the last few issues just a few days apart, I found myself forgetting everything I had read in the previous issue because there was nothing really in them that was memorable.

Where do IDW get this really bad writers from? I also hated the ever morphing art. At one point Spike looked like he was midway turning into the Hulk.

The only thing that I will remember vividly from this series is the super cheesy dialog between Prime and Spike - That was clearly supposed to be a character defining moment that becomes the 'climax' of the series. Unfortunately all it left me with was a sense of 'WTF?' at how ridiculous it was.

Thank God I didn't pay to read most of this series.

heroic_decepticon
9th May 2010, 01:38 AM
Where do IDW get this really bad writers from? I also hated the ever morphing art.

I'd like to know the answer to that question too :D

SharkyMcShark
10th May 2010, 07:26 PM
I'd just like to echo the sentiment that the only high so far in this series have been Ultra Magnus and Swindle (that and the more detailed robot aesthetic, which I absolutely dig).

It reminds me of Infiltration really - it isn't very snappy either in terms of characters or action, it just sort of plods along.

It also seems to be going back over a lot of ground covered in Dreamwave's v2 and v3 G1 comics (War and Peace and their Ongoing).

It's interesting the dual reaction that I've had to this and LSOTW - Ongoing drew me in with the art and wanting to find out what happened post AHM Coda, whereas initially I didn't really care about the nobodies in LSOTW reenacting The Dirty Dozen. My views on the matter have swapped now, and I find LSOTW utterly compelling and this sort of drab - to be hones what keeps me coming back, apart from the hope that it'll turn around, is the aesthetic. It might not work well on humans but it's given us some fantastic panels of robot combat.

SharkyMcShark
10th May 2010, 07:34 PM
Of course it's not helped by the Bumblebee miniseries creative team just wading in and ignoring continuity. They decided to use BBs G1 body despite him having had the hood lights on shoulder and bonnet on chest look since IDW started their run, and they made Blurr back into the simpering comedic relief that he was in the G1 cartoon (as opposed to the cocksure, self confident, calm and slightly arrogant Blurr we've had thus far in IDW he's back to not pausing for sentences and being a hyperactive spaz).

kup
10th May 2010, 10:27 PM
Of course it's not helped by the Bumblebee miniseries creative team just wading in and ignoring continuity. They decided to use BBs G1 body despite him having had the hood lights on shoulder and bonnet on chest look since IDW started their run, and they made Blurr back into the simpering comedic relief that he was in the G1 cartoon (as opposed to the cocksure, self confident, calm and slightly arrogant Blurr we've had thus far in IDW he's back to not pausing for sentences and being a hyperactive spaz).

Character inconsistency within the same continuity is something that I personally find very jarring. Whoever is supposed to maintain fluidity between the different series and writers is certainly not doing their job.

liegeprime
11th May 2010, 04:33 PM
Character inconsistency within the same continuity is something that I personally find very jarring. Whoever is supposed to maintain fluidity between the different series and writers is certainly not doing their job.

That would be the editor's job.... Do they even have one?

kup
11th May 2010, 06:23 PM
That would be the editor's job.... Do they even have one?

What I find really pathetic about Ongoing, more so than the character inconsistencies is how it is very clear that the super cheesy 'WTF?' dialogue is supposed to be deep and meaningful but it just comes off as some bizarre parody.

Who are these writers? They need to Transform too if they ever hope to write a half decent story.

SharkyMcShark
11th May 2010, 06:34 PM
What I find really pathetic about Ongoing, more so than the character inconsistencies is how it is very clear that the super cheesy 'WTF?' dialogue is supposed to be deep and meaningful but it just comes out of as some bizarre parody.

Who are these writers? They need to Transform too if they ever hope to write a half decent story.

Yeah, it's kind of like the second and third Matrix films - they've gone way over the top trying to shove meaning and poignancy into everything.

SilverDragon
7th June 2010, 08:53 PM
I went and read the first issue.

Despite all the negative reviews, I approached it with an open mind. It didn't work, as I found it to be rather blah, particularly in comparison with a certain other IDW Transformers comic out at the same time (*coughLastStandOfTheWreckerscough*).

First off, the stated aims of this issue were to be accessible and fun. I can't comment on the first one, as I'm not unfamiliar with the IDW continuity (although I do wonder why they stuck name tags on them, instead of introducing the robots in dialogue), but fun it really wasn't. It was basically an entire issue of angst over how the human hate the Transformers and how Optimus is a crap leader etc. Not really fun, and it didn't convince me to read on beyond it.

Second, I don't feel really connected with the characters. Emotionless art aside, there's nothing that made me like a character, or really get a sense of what they stood for, or their personality. The only feelings I had were annoyance at Hot Rod suddenly becoming a rebel. While the oldest IDW comics I've properly read were the Devastation ones, I can't recall Hot Rod being like this before. Was he like this in AHM? Why does Optimus pull a BSOD after Ironhide's death? I thought he was the leader of the Autobots. He should be able to deal with that without going all depressive about it.

Third, the art. Yes, the movie/G1 hybrids don't exactly work, Hot Rod's 'NOOOOOOO' face after Ironhide gets offed says that loud and clear. While detail is nice, it's excessive here. Give me the 'liquid metal' faces from previous comics anyday.

Fourth, why is it always the humans hating all Transformers? At least someone ought to have noticed that the ones with the vaguely human face symbol are trying to help them. It's really overused.

Finally, there seems to be a disconnect between Andy Schmidt's declarations of the comic being for all ages and the actual comic. His comments at the end indicate he's trying to get a younger audience beyond the geeks who buy the comics. The very next issue features Spike leaving the house of a well-endowed woman in her underwear. Okay, Marvel had Circuit Breaker's stripperific costume, but it's not really comparable, considering how superpowered females in comics tend to be flying panty shots anyway.

Overall, I found it to be rather disappointing, which is a shame as I was looking forward to the main series, most likely because it would be better than AHM.

SilverDragon
10th June 2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, Spike is an a-hole.

Also, I went and read 3 just now (because for some reason 2 isn't downloading). I still don't get any feelings of emotion from the robots (Swindle excepted, he had more personality in one panel than everyone else did in the entire issue). It's worse than the Animated comic and how one artist almost always drew everyone going D: regardless of what was happening. IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

SharkyMcShark
10th June 2010, 09:27 PM
Since the start of Revelation, certain miniseries (Maximum Dinobots and LSotW) aside I feel like the IDW writers have cast too wide a net characterwise.

What made the First three -ation runs so good was that each side had 5 - 8 main characters that the comic focused one, as opposed to now where we've got essentially the entire 84 - 86 cast in play for each side.

griffin
12th June 2010, 11:59 PM
#8 of the Ongoing - how boring...
First 17 pages of a 23 page 23 page 'Transformers' comic, not a single robot. And the last 6 pages had just one robot.
As a TFs fan, I don't care if there is some big huge plot device revealed in those first 17 pages, I'll probably never bother reading them.

Worst TFs comic issue ever.
Definitely the sort of issue that's only worth buying in a TPB.

i_amtrunks
13th June 2010, 06:11 PM
#8 of the Ongoing - how boring...
cut...

Worst TFs comic issue ever.

Thanks for the heads up Bossbot, might not even bother reading it, seems like a wasted issue (again... :()

IDW are wasting all the good karma they built up by releasing LSotW

Sharky
13th June 2010, 07:04 PM
my god i have not wanted to stop reading a comic half way through like i did with TF:O#8 for a very very long time.. i forced my self to finish it just about only to find perhaps the worst "death" ever.

i really do not like how they have made humans capable of taking on (and down) a tf one on one....

it gets some sort of recognition for the "human germ" comment...

i have to agee with Griffen

Worst issue ever.

bassbot
13th June 2010, 07:57 PM
haven't read this yet, but aside from the human-centric issue, did people get anything out of spike's developing character? i'll grab this next week.

heroic_decepticon
13th June 2010, 08:16 PM
flicked through #8 at the comic shop today. not impressed.

griffin
14th June 2010, 12:34 AM
It's the sort of issue a comic shop would want to sell sealed. There's no way any casual fan of TFs would buy this issue if they were able to flick through it in the store.
And the least they could have done with the online preview, is show 5 of the 6 'Robot' pages, to at least fool people into buying the issue (if they can't flick through it beforehand). I'd be interested to see how the sales were on this issue.

heroic_decepticon
14th June 2010, 12:54 AM
It's the sort of issue a comic shop would want to sell sealed. There's no way any casual fan of TFs would buy this issue if they were able to flick through it in the store.
And the least they could have done with the online preview, is show 5 of the 6 'Robot' pages, to at least fool people into buying the issue (if they can't flick through it beforehand). I'd be interested to see how the sales were on this issue.

Hmmm... King's Comics does not seal their issues unless its a limited run issue or an exclusive. That said, what interested me to flick through the issue was the fact that Javier Saltares' name is on the issue. I was huge fan of his work on Ghost Rider (the Danny Ketch version), which he illustrated till issue 6 or 7 before Mark Texeria took over. This was in the early 90s.

I was intrigued/surprised that he is drawing Transformers.

I wanted to see how his gritty style (imagine Ghost Rider) would be used on hi-tech clean cut robots. Or maybe they just wrote less robots in each issue so Javier would have it easier. :p

GoktimusPrime
14th June 2010, 01:29 PM
Definitely the sort of issue that's only worth buying in a TPB.

That's pretty much how I feel about most post-Marvel TF comics. Few have really been good value as stand alone issues. :( I'm just too impatient to wait for the TPBs. But I recommend anyone with better patience than me to just wait.

I recently picked up the first Henkei! Henkei! TPB, which was written for a younger audience - and I'm finding it a more satisfying read than what IDW's churning out atm! And at 490JPY (or $11 at Kinokuniya's inflated import prices) per book much better value.

heroic_decepticon
14th June 2010, 09:24 PM
I recently picked up the first Henkei! Henkei! TPB, which was written for a younger audience - and I'm finding it a more satisfying read than what IDW's churning out atm! And at 490JPY (or $11 at Kinokuniya's inflated import prices) per book much better value.

hey dude, which section do I go looking for this and what's the full title?

GoktimusPrime
15th June 2010, 01:13 PM
Should be in the Japanese book section - the new manga and magazines are near the rear entrance/window. Check Kinonavi to see if they have any in stock, cos when I went there a few weeks ago they had none in stock, so I had them specially order one for me from Japan (took less than a fortnight to get in - but they ask you to give them a month). Any books that aren't in stock but are in their Kinonavi database you can ask them to order for you. There's no extra charge. :)

SamLoi888
17th June 2010, 01:16 PM
Just read the 'For All Mankind' TPB. It was pretty good I thought.

heroic_decepticon
17th June 2010, 08:55 PM
Bought that at 20% discount from Kino and read it yesterday too.

I don't know, it felt like the six issues could be done in 2 or something (again). The highlight for me was seeing Menasor my fav combiner and to see how cunning Swindle is. That's pretty fun. Thought also that the Thundercracker solo story had a lot of potential, but then it went back to the 'main' (boring) story too soon.

The "Rodimus" part was used appropriately I thought, but Hot Rod is even more of an a$$hole (and a f**king idiot) than his G1 persona. That's fine, I hate him enough as it is already.

Once I started ignoring the faces, I'm quite ok with the art. It's highly experimental and I gotta take my hat off to Don, this guy has one heck of an imagination, this being the nth evolution of his art style.

kup
12th July 2010, 12:05 AM
I just read issue 8 of Ongoing and I am disgusted by it. I have never read such a horrifyingly bad issue, not even the worse AHM issue or the 'I am transformed' issue of the first volume of ongoing compares.

The issue is all about showing us what a hard ass Spike is and how he can take a Decepticon single handedly with no weapons with a bare chest. As I was reading I was like WTF?? every second page that just focused on how cool Spike is. What dribble.

I am so glad that I am no longer paying to read this s**t and it's becoming even less acceptable to read even for free due to how horribly written it is and themes it follows.

I am saddened by this comic - What happened to Transformers comics?? How is this crap acceptable as a professional work is beyond me, it's just crap. It feels more as if they got some school kid with a hard on for Spike to write it.

Enough ranting but Drift is becoming much more palpable than Spike, specially after this issue.

Where does IDW pick up it's writers?

heroic_decepticon
12th July 2010, 12:42 AM
that sounds horrible. I have no idea why there is such a focus on Spike even in the earlier issues of Ongoing. They certainly seem to be going for the "extreme" and "bad-ass" type characterisations lately.

My thought would be to make it another human character having this traits rather than Spike since his character has been well established by now and is quite different from how he is being portrayed.

SharkyMcShark
12th July 2010, 01:23 AM
The last half of Issue 8 was alright. Up until he went into the meeting with the generals and the Joint Chiefs it was pointless posturing and mostly unneeded NEST, I mean Skywatch development.

The second half seemed more pertinent - I'm fairly sure they're setting General Allenby to be one of their main thorns in the side, although one hopes that they do this beyond making him essentially Galloway from Revenge of the Fallen.

The context of the fight (NO BACKUP OMG LOW TECH HARDCORE) was pretty poor, but I felt there were some nice touches. The flashback with Devastator where he looks like a monster (sharp teeth, skull face etc)was a very nice touch. I mean, the concept that the humans consider all Transformers as monsters is one that should be obvious if you've read the last like 12 odd issues + Spotlight: Prowl, but it's a nice visual representation of that especially if you put it next to the frame in AHM 2 where Devastator is destroying the tunnels - they're drawn almost exactly the same aside from the face.

I like the final line, about how he hates machines that make him feel like a machine.

The concept of disabling a gestalt by physically killing off one of the opponents was I felt an interesting line to take (given that they've generally gone for a suppress and capture approach before as opposed to outright killing).

So yeah, I thought it wasn't all bad. Definitely not a great, or not even end of the road, but there are some nice touches in there.

griffin
12th July 2010, 11:37 AM
So I take it that IDW is taking on the idea that a TFs brain/spark is in its head?

For such a technologically advanced race, it would be expected that the most vulnerable component would be in the most centrally located part of their body (the torso/chest).

Shooting anyone in the head (like Megatron or Scrapper) shouldn't kill them, at the most, it should only disable them. And even still, you'd think that they would have secondary sensory backups, like how they can see, hear and speak in their alt-modes.

kup
12th July 2010, 12:41 PM
So I take it that IDW is taking on the idea that a TFs brain/spark is in its head?

For such a technologically advanced race, it would be expected that the most vulnerable component would be in the most centrally located part of their body (the torso/chest).

Shooting anyone in the head (like Megatron or Scrapper) shouldn't kill them, at the most, it should only disable them. And even still, you'd think that they would have secondary sensory backups, like how they can see, hear and speak in their alt-modes.

Bare chested Spike killed him with his super human high jump punches.

He is badass :rolleyes:

SharkyMcShark
12th July 2010, 02:45 PM

Rotorstorm thinks you're right.

Sharky
13th July 2010, 08:42 AM
Rotorstorm thinks you're right.

i think with the events that happened to ironhide recently, i think it is a case of both...

ironhide chest shot......dead.... but re downloaded....

rotorstorm scrapper megatron (i still dont think megs was dead...)

head wounds...

still offline...

but lets face it they will rebuild them maybe not rotorstorm.... but scrapper yes.. you cannnot not have devestator...

i guess same can be said for humans.. shoot us in the head were dead too... but our heart cant run without it.. and shoot us in the heart the brain doesnt run...

but i often remeber the days of marvel and marvel uk... deaths head squashing shockwaves brain chip.... the throttle bots brain chip (Personality chip) installed into RC cars and later replugged into new bodies...it all seems to be in the head...

kup
13th July 2010, 09:48 AM
I don't have a problem with TFs dying by being shot in the head but I do have a problem when a Douchey human does this super high jump and basically kills the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical.

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2010, 09:55 AM
Beats seeing the one of the strongest Autobots (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Brawn_%28G1%29) die from a single shot to the shoulder. Even humans can survive being shot in the shoulder. :/

SharkyMcShark
13th July 2010, 10:16 AM
I don't have a problem with TFs dying by being shot in the head but I do have a problem when a Douchey human does this super high jump and basically kills the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical.

When did he kill the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical?
Yes, I am being purposely obtuse, seeing as what really happened is that he stunned the Transformer using some chemical, then dropped a bunch of steel girders on him, and then shot him in the face with a laser gun. The only really unbelievable part of which (in context) is that Scrapper didn't just blow him away to start with (they've gone mostly the anime route regarding jumping and falling in Ongoing - Spikes shown leaping out of his TF sized mech suit in a previous episode, not to mention that whole leaping out of a car thing a few issues back, so it seems a bit late in the day to start criticising a lack of respect for gravity really).

kup
13th July 2010, 11:38 AM
Come on, it doesn't matter how it was done. Spike killed him in the most ridiculous way possible and they even had to have him do it without a shirt. How stupid is that?

STL
13th July 2010, 12:18 PM
I share the sentiment here too about the disappointment of the ongoing. I'm looking very hard for some positives but there are very few. The art is solid and the faces have grown on me.

Other than that though, this has been severely disappointing. Some little windows of hope but not very much. Add to that the D grade writing (probably an insult to D grade writers). The execution is poor, the storytelling backward, the script as energetic as a stuff bear. I'm not as frustrated as many are by the particular characters my concern is about the overall construction and the character development. It's severely lacking. It's forced and childishly conceived. I'm a big believer in anything can work in a story if you execute it right, have the right key notes. This book fails to even get there though on any of its major moments.

The moments, if anything, have significance b/c they reside on things not within the story. You can see through Swindle so clearly that it's stupid that Hot Rod doesn't. There is no elegance. Look at Marvel's recent Loki as a great example. The enjoyment out of that is that your enjoyment of that moment rests not on the writer's execution but your knowledge of Swindle's nature, his duplicity. None of his dialogue in the title, his actions create a dramatic impact.

To top it off, I'm really sick of the whole "Whoa. Humans are so amazing b/c they don't live as long as us" angle. It's been attempted, it's nice but TFs dwelling ont for 6 issues? Really. And you know what? You'd think Humans learn a lot more about dedication, conviction and fortitude from robots who have fought for eons. Whichever way though, can we skip it or if we attempt it, try to do in not so lame a fashion?

I'm also dropping it off my list of books each month now. There are no redeeming features for this at all.

kup
13th July 2010, 12:39 PM
I share the sentiment here too about the disappointment of the ongoing. I'm looking very hard for some positives but there are very few. The art is solid and the faces have grown on me.

Other than that though, this has been severely disappointing. Some little windows of hope but not very much. Add to that the D grade writing (probably an insult to D grade writers). The execution is poor, the storytelling backward, the script as energetic as a stuff bear. I'm not as frustrated as many are by the particular characters my concern is about the overall construction and the character development. It's severely lacking. It's forced and childishly conceived. I'm a big believer in anything can work in a story if you execute it right, have the right key notes. This book fails to even get there though on any of its major moments.

The moments, if anything, have significance b/c they reside on things not within the story. You can see through Swindle so clearly that it's stupid that Hot Rod doesn't. There is no elegance. Look at Marvel's recent Loki as a great example. The enjoyment out of that is that your enjoyment of that moment rests not on the writer's execution but your knowledge of Swindle's nature, his duplicity. None of his dialogue in the title, his actions create a dramatic impact.

To top it off, I'm really sick of the whole "Whoa. Humans are so amazing b/c they don't live as long as us" angle. It's been attempted, it's nice but TFs dwelling ont for 6 issues? Really. And you know what? You'd think Humans learn a lot more about dedication, conviction and fortitude from robots who have fought for eons. Whichever way though, can we skip it or if we attempt it, try to do in not so lame a fashion?

I'm also dropping it off my list of books each month now. There are no redeeming features for this at all.

Glad we can agree on something :)

SharkyMcShark
13th July 2010, 01:18 PM
My main hope for the Ongoing at this point is that they don't take it in the same direction that we've seen 475 times before.

I don't want the alliance between the humans and the Autobots to be the same as the NEST thing/the EDC thing (from Dreamwave). To be specific by that I mean I want them to avoid the whole Autobots being treated slightly suspiciously by the chain of command but are loved and respected by the soldiers they actually work with.

Also they're setting Allenby up as a major thorn in the side. As I said above I hope this extends beyond making him mostly a blustering bureaucratic ass who occasionally gets in the way and everyone has to tread carefully around.

I honestly don't think that the writers think that we care about the human's that much - that's been a very common sentiment amongst the fandom, especially since the 2007 movie. Since the first arc ended the subsequent two issues have been backstory issues - part of me thinks (and certainly hopes) that they're setting up to something.

Of course in the coming months if it turns our that it's really just pointless mostly aimless sometimes TF related adventures then this will have been a waste of a post.

i_amtrunks
13th July 2010, 01:20 PM

You gave it a longer shot than I did.

Its sad that the ongoing has hit such lows right when the IDW transformers comics may soon be available at newsagents and small independent stores. IDW's TF comics are terrible pretty much across the board. IDW should have looked at this move years ago when they had the better more cohesive series as well as the more straightforward movie titles, rather than the tripe they have been releasing of late.

STL
13th July 2010, 02:12 PM
You gave it a longer shot than I did.

Its sad that the ongoing has hit such lows right when the IDW transformers comics may soon be available at newsagents and small independent stores. IDW's TF comics are terrible pretty much across the board. IDW should have looked at this move years ago when they had the better more cohesive series as well as the more straightforward movie titles, rather than the tripe they have been releasing of late.
I think it's sadder that it's at a time when they've got a spanking brand new channel for readers like the iPad.

Gutsman Heavy
13th July 2010, 03:07 PM
I like the ongoing, but #8 was the worst POS I've read.

To paraphrse Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Now eventually you might have dinosaurs Transformers on your, on your dinosaur tour Transformers comic, right?

SilverDragon
14th July 2010, 11:56 AM
Read #8. Look, when your comic's titled TRANSFORMERS, you expect to see the titular robots early on. In this issue, they're first mentioned on page 10, and ONE actually appears on page 17, gets trapped in two pages, and is monologued to death by Spike for three. This comic has 22 pages. So an actual Transformer only appears for five pages of a 22 page comic titled TRANSFORMERS. What the hell, Costa?

I understand the concept behind this issue-develop the main human character-but he's such an unlikable jerk by the end of #8 that the overall quality of the comic would increase drastically if Omega Supreme stepped on him.

The only highlight for me was page 8. Those soldiers look very eager to be 'horsing around'. Henderson seems positively jubilant at the prospect of being grabbed roughly by a brawny young man. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just seems funny in an issue about how ultra-masculine Spike is.

Oilspill
15th July 2010, 09:18 PM
I just read issue 8 of Ongoing and I am disgusted by it. I have never read such a horrifyingly bad issue, not even the worse AHM issue or the 'I am transformed' issue of the first volume of ongoing compares.

The issue is all about showing us what a hard ass Spike is and how he can take a Decepticon single handedly with no weapons with a bare chest. As I was reading I was like WTF?? every second page that just focused on how cool Spike is. What dribble.

I am so glad that I am no longer paying to read this s**t and it's becoming even less acceptable to read even for free due to how horribly written it is and themes it follows.

I am saddened by this comic - What happened to Transformers comics?? How is this crap acceptable as a professional work is beyond me, it's just crap. It feels more as if they got some school kid with a hard on for Spike to write it.

Enough ranting but Drift is becoming much more palpable than Spike, specially after this issue.

Where does IDW pick up it's writers?

Quoted for truth.

Just read number 8 and it is an absolute pile of crap. They've had some pretty average issues already, but issues like this are going to kill the Ongoing all together.

For starters the art is absolutely terrible in this issue. The artist clearly can't draw humans well, and this issue is practically nothing but humans. And Spike doesn't even look like Spike from AHM or previous issues of the ongoing.

The writing is terrible. "Hey I'm Spike, I can take out a 30ft, technologically advanced giant robot who's fought in wars for millenia, with no technology, no backup, some chemicals I mixed up in my kitchen and no shirt." Awesome way to completely destroy the Decepticons as any kind of credible threat.

The stupid thing was the intent of the issue is to build Spike up as a bad-ass human hero of the ongoing story, who can hold his own against a Cybertronian. But with the whole "I'm too cool for school, I didn't pay attention and just got in fights" backstory, it just succeeds in making him look like an arsehole.

I've been a pretty big fan of IDWs stuff. Love Nick Roche. Simon Furman's earlier stuff was great. Spotlights have been 90% excellent. I even somewhat enjoyed the much maligned (particularly on these boards :D) AHM.
But, that's it for ongoing for me.

I was only getting it for the iPhone anyway, as it wasn't worth the price for a hard copy before this. But with this kind of writing it's not even worth the $2.50 for the download.

Tommy K
16th July 2010, 12:50 AM
i have the slightest feeling people didnt like no 8

well all i can say is now that we got the (insert one of the tasteful words kups used here) out of the last issue, bring on no 9!

GoktimusPrime
16th July 2010, 09:03 AM
#9's already out dude. I picked my copy up yesterday. ;) Glad to see Guidi's art... though a shame he's drawing Bumblebee in his "pimped out Commander" form (I'm assuming on IDW's behest).

Tommy K
16th July 2010, 07:55 PM
#9's already out dude. I picked my copy up yesterday. ;) Glad to see Guidi's art... though a shame he's drawing Bumblebee in his "pimped out Commander" form (I'm assuming on IDW's behest).

yeah i got it today

i loved : our special guestkim jon ill or whatever hsis name is
the fact that optimus prime still is helping out in the comic even though he still is a little bit depressed

i disliked spike, quite frankly im not sure who he is right now, is he the guy that drove lockdown or whatever after capturing him in issue one, or does he hate robots or was he the guy that caught beach comber?

overall i rate this issue a 7/10 due to the fact that there was some action, some story, the talking is starting to bother me though, as a younger tf fan i expect more KABOOM then talking about whatever

for instance

it took almost 2 pages for the president to say that he didnt want transformers working with any one, COME ON! all that could have been taken up with some driving off into the sunset or something more awesome. im all for story, but when the story is slowed down to they way it was this issue, well yeah *endrant*

SharkyMcShark
16th July 2010, 08:28 PM
I wish they'd stop drawing Spike differently. The actual Transformers themselves I'm not that bugged by, but every issue Spike looks like a completely different person, and that's annoying.

I did like the whole any nation caught colaborating with Transformers will be deemed to be in possession of WMDs - nice little real world reference and sets up a tricky situation for Skywatch

Though with that said I hope that the resolution isn't just like "oh look the TFS SAEVD THE KREA! THEY MUST BE GOOD!

At this point the whole ALL TRANSFORMERS ARE THE BADS thing is dragging a bit. I understood it like immediately post AHM (the Autobots only turned up for like what was the last hours of the Decepticon occupation so really most of the planet only knew the bad guys), but seriously you'd think they'd have got the message by now.

GoktimusPrime
16th July 2010, 09:35 PM
As an older fan I also wanna see more KABOOM! per issue! That's something folks have been griping about with IDW comics for some time now... too many issues filled with 'yada yada yada blah blah blah' and not enough giant effing robot rumbling!

Like yeah sure, have your story arcs, political intrigue and what not... but there should be Transformers action happening alongside it. Just like with the G1 comics and Beast Wars. Guh... there just isn't as much bang for your buck with TF comics these days compared to what Marvel used to give us. And technically IDW have a LOT more creative liberty than Marvel did because they're not under pressure from Hasbro to sell toys! (hence they're not directed to remove or introduce bunch of characters at inconvenient intervals)

Well, there's some influence from Hasbro, particularly with the movie comics which use several non-film toy characters like Dirtboss etc., but it's nothing like the kind of pressures that Marvel had. e.g. introducing several sub-groups of Transformers in a single issue where they spend a whole page just talking to each other blatantly announcing their names to introduce themselves to readers! "You're right Razorclaw! But I, Divebomb, will blah blah blah." "Perhaps so, but I, Tantrum, yada yada yada..."

heroic_decepticon
17th July 2010, 10:33 PM
I read the Bumblebee TPB. This was actually pretty good. The Skywatch badges looked a little goofy, but I was all excited when Bumblebee was handed one which I thought looked like a rub-sign. That'd be so cool.

One of the more enjoyable TF comics I've read in recent time. I'm quite eagerly awaiting the LSOTW tpb.

STL
19th July 2010, 03:53 PM
Okay, I lie. I just read #7 and while not the strongest of issues, it involved some very good work. For once, some of the diallogue worked quite well. The Decepticons being reeduced to what they are was very fascinating. I do feel that Starscream went backwards a bit. In the early Furman books and across AHM, he was portrayed as offering something more. A real alternative. I still fondly recall, Blitzwing and Astrotrain (?) reviving him b/c of Megatron seeming to be too obsessive.

The humans were okay. Tolerable at best. Personally I think the human element has been a fail at IDW. Verity and co = suckage. Spike = suckage. The last time I cared for beings and TFs was Budinsky's run with Galen/Spike as Fort Max. That said, 1 average win from 7 is hardly a great strike rate. The book's still been dropped. I just had to pick up #7-9 last week as courtesy to my retailer who I have a standing order with.

Paulbot
19th July 2010, 04:20 PM
Okay, I lie. I just read #7 and while not the strongest of issues, it involved some very good work. For once, some of the diallogue worked quite well. The Decepticons being reeduced to what they are was very fascinating. I do feel that Starscream went backwards a bit. In the early Furman books and across AHM, he was portrayed as offering something more. A real alternative. I still fondly recall, Blitzwing and Astrotrain (?) reviving him b/c of Megatron seeming to be too obsessive.

The humans were okay. Tolerable at best. Personally I think the human element has been a fail at IDW. Verity and co = suckage. Spike = suckage. The last time I cared for beings and TFs was Budinsky's run with Galen/Spike as Fort Max. That said, 1 average win from 7 is hardly a great strike rate. The book's still been dropped. I just had to pick up #7-9 last week as courtesy to my retailer who I have a standing order with.

It will be interesting to see what you say once you've read #8... Will anyone stick up for #8?

SharkyMcShark
19th July 2010, 04:29 PM
I did. Sort of.

Oilspill
19th July 2010, 04:30 PM
I actually quite like Verity and Hunter, they're some of the better human characters in comic and cartoon continuities in my opinion. But all humans from AHM onwards I could care less for.

In fact, the Ongoing has done a damn good job of making every TF unlikeable too. Magnus is now a dick, Hot Rod is a dick, Prime is pathetic, the only character who is actually likeable is probably Bumblebee, but it's not like he had a great storyline or anything, he's just not acting like a jerk.

The Ironhide mini seems OK, though I haven't read #3 yet.

STL
19th July 2010, 04:45 PM
In fact, the Ongoing has done a damn good job of making every TF unlikeable too. Magnus is now a dick, Hot Rod is a dick, Prime is pathetic,

Quoted for truth.

And arguably most of the same could be said for all the other pussies characters; Bumblebee included. I have never read a more forced ascension to leadership than that.

SharkyMcShark
19th July 2010, 04:47 PM
I liked Ongoing's Swindle!

And Cliffjumper to a lesser extent

STL
20th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Read #8. Not as bad but not great. I personally found very little likeable in the issue. I think the concept is fine and I'm not as angry as others are about Spike taking out a TF with so much as a bit of liquid and blasters. This seems to be where all the fanboys are up to their panties in it. A TF getting taken out by a miserable little human? While on initially reading this thread and elsewhere online I was grossly sceptical, in the context of the story I find it believable. Spike has planned this. He knows what it is, he knows it needs to be taken down and so if he is going solo, you would expect him to be prepared and have done his research. Hence, the liquid/blaster etc.

My problem however is motivation and organic growth with the plot to get it to that point. There's a mixture of motivations underpinning his attack on the combiner. Is it revenge? Is it to protect the Autobot alliance? Is it to stop the devastation that a combiner might cause? Is it to let his hair down? Is it to prove humans are tough enough to deal with the TFs themselves? All of this is messed together in a mixing bowl of the fight without any clarity whatsoever. It is set against the backdrop of a military conversation that was tense. How does this fight fit into the context of that with it's mixed messages? Honestly, there's no character work and nuance to make it work.

Human stories can be good with TFs. However, this is a superficial attempt. It's lame and is ill-directed. It is passable as a whole b/c if you really wanted to, you could construe all the motivations together such that it means Spike did some significant on multiple fronts. That said, why solo? He trusts his men seems to be the message at the start. Again your problem however you may argue to him this is very personal. BUT again, where have you developed the character to the point where any of his actions matter or can be positively construed? Nowhere. This could've worked but what it requried was more careful character work rather than a mere few pages all in the one spot where the reader has to just accept this coming out of nowhere. Did you really expect fanboys to react otherwise? While IDW/the writer may rationalise it but there's one simple fact : Execution is piss poor.

And I say this ignoring the fact that I would much prefer reading something like the Ironhide mini where it's human free. I like reading about robots. Any story can work but you have to give it the right notes and treat it like a piece of art and work on construction. This fails on all accounts.

Add to that, there's a jarring disconnect between the cover art (style wise, very G1) and interior art. Very weird. Next issue has an awesome Combaticon cover but crikey I hope interiors reflect this. Despite how harsh I've been, this issue was actually to me more tolerable than a few of the first 6 issues.

That said, despite the balance that i've provided here I'm not hanging onto the book. Well, unless 9 blows me out my socks but I'm pretty committed to the trade path now. I have three versions of various trades plus single issues. I support them more than I should for their mediocrity and it comes to an end now.

Oilspill
20th July 2010, 05:28 PM
I think the concept is fine and I'm not as angry as others are about Spike taking out a TF with so much as a bit of liquid and blasters. This seems to be where all the fanboys are up to their panties in it. A TF getting taken out by a miserable little human? While on initially reading this thread and elsewhere online I was grossly sceptical, in the context of the story I find it believable. Spike has planned this. He knows what it is, he knows it needs to be taken down and so if he is going solo, you would expect him to be prepared and have done his research. Hence, the liquid/blaster etc.

It's not so much the tools that bother me, as much as it is the Constructicon's (is it Scavenger or Bonecrusher, I'm not even sure) complete lack of fighting back. It's a completely one sided fight which annoys me as the Decepticon is a war veteran of millions of years, and Spike is a douchebag of 20 something years. :)

That, and like you said, the execution is piss poor.

STL
20th July 2010, 05:55 PM
That said, why solo? He trusts his men seems to be the message at the start. Again your problem however you may argue to him this is very personal. BUT again, where have you developed the character to the point where any of his actions matter or can be positively construed? Nowhere. This could've worked but what it requried was more careful character work rather than a mere few pages, all in the one spot, where the reader has to just accept at face value this coming out of nowhere. Did you really expect fanboys to react otherwise? While IDW/the writer may rationalise it but there's one simple fact : Execution is piss poor.

Ugh. Re-read that and that was a messy bit.

My point is:

Why solo? This contradicts the early part of hte issue where he talks about his bond with his men and their loyalty. If he trusts them, why not select a group to go with him rather than going solo?

kup
20th July 2010, 05:55 PM
STL, you seem to have misinterpreted why that Spike sequenced pissed us off. It's not so much about Spike taking the Decepticon out all by himself but how he did it and the intentions of the writer for having him do it.

It was basically a pointless sequence to show off how 'bad ass' Spike is otherwise he would have kept his shirt on while doing it.

Also in the future, please don't be so patronizing to your fellow fans. ;)

STL
20th July 2010, 06:24 PM
STL, you seem to have misinterpreted why that Spike sequenced pissed us off. It's not so much about Spike taking the Decepticon out all by himself but how he did it and the intentions of the writer for having him do it.

Really? Like this?

Come on, it doesn't matter how it was done. Spike killed him in the most ridiculous way possible and they even had to have him do it without a shirt. How stupid is that?

Bare chested Spike killed him with his super human high jump punches.

He is badass :rolleyes:

Wow, Spike is an a-hole.

Also, I went and read 3 just now (because for some reason 2 isn't downloading). I still don't get any feelings of emotion from the robots (Swindle excepted, he had more personality in one panel than everyone else did in the entire issue). It's worse than the Animated comic and how one artist almost always drew everyone going D: regardless of what was happening. IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

The writing is terrible. "Hey I'm Spike, I can take out a 30ft, technologically advanced giant robot who's fought in wars for millenia, with no technology, no backup, some chemicals I mixed up in my kitchen and no shirt." Awesome way to completely destroy the Decepticons as any kind of credible threat.

The stupid thing was the intent of the issue is to build Spike up as a bad-ass human hero of the ongoing story, who can hold his own against a Cybertronian. But with the whole "I'm too cool for school, I didn't pay attention and just got in fights" backstory, it just succeeds in making him look like an arsehole.

It was basically a pointless sequence to show off how 'bad ass' Spike is otherwise he would have kept his shirt on while doing it.

On the basis of that comment there alone (ignoring the previous couple of quotes before that) I'd say my post is more trying to dissect in a critical and reasoned manner the story than throwing around cheap little one liners.

griffin
20th July 2010, 09:30 PM

A Constructicon was chosen for a reason (re-read the issue). And the method Spike used to disable/kill, is plausible.

kup
20th July 2010, 10:18 PM
Really? Like this?

On the basis of that comment there alone (ignoring the previous couple of quotes before that) I'd say my post is more trying to dissect in a critical and reasoned manner the story than throwing around cheap little one liners.

I am not going around calling anybody a "fanboy" in a degrading manner for expressing their opinion. That's what triggered what I previously said not the rest of your post.

A Constructicon was chosen for a reason (re-read the issue). And the method Spike used to disable/kill, is plausible.

I disagree with the execution. Although I am not a fan of the concept of a human so effortlessly killing a Transformer, I could have lived with it if it was believably done. The way it was executed was horrible. It's not about plausibility but a really forced attempt to make Spike into a Super cool bad ass. Killing the Constructicon was just a tool for accomplishing that which to me sucks as well as the whole issue just building up to show us how 'awesome' Spike is.

I don't need to re-read the issue to see that.

heroic_decepticon
20th July 2010, 10:43 PM
Haven't read the issue so I can't say how good/bad it is and won't read it till it gets released as a TPB. Guess it must have been done not so well since none of us are kicking up a fuss about the likes of Circuit Breaker and the Mechanic p0wning TFs during the Marvel run.

kup
20th July 2010, 10:45 PM
Haven't read the issue so I can't say how good/bad it is and won't read it till it gets released as a TPB. Guess it must have been done not so well since none of us are kicking up a fuss about the likes of Circuit Breaker and the Mechanic p0wning TFs during the Marvel run.

Circuit Breaker was a kind of a Marvel style super heroine so she was believable within the universe presented. The Mechanic was indeed stupid and I think several of us have expressed that over the years :)

SilverDragon
21st July 2010, 06:22 PM

Minor thing: he did keep his shirt on. The shirt in question was just extremely tight. The scene was also very darkly lit, so it wasn't obvious.

STL
22nd July 2010, 03:38 PM
Minor thing: he did keep his shirt on. The shirt in question was just extremely tight. The scene was also very darkly lit, so it wasn't obvious.

Sometimes people only see what they want to see.

kup
22nd July 2010, 03:43 PM
Sometimes people only see what they want to see.

Yeah they do indeed. I remember a fair few posts of that on another topic actually.

super tight shirt or no shirt really doesn't change things that much. The intent is the same on the part of the writer.

Sky Shadow
23rd July 2010, 01:44 PM
super tight shirt or no shirt really doesn't change things that much. The intent is the same on the part of the writer.

"This friend of mine went to get you a tighter shirt..."

"There is no tighter shirt! We checked!"

griffin
23rd July 2010, 04:19 PM
Finally, something funny from TF2 worth quoting for a laugh... :p

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2010, 08:47 AM
Guess it must have been done not so well since none of us are kicking up a fuss about the likes of Circuit Breaker and the Mechanic p0wning TFs during the Marvel run.

Erm... people have b!tched about the Mechanic... he's indeed a rather forgettable G1 human villain. As for Circuit Breaker, as kup said she's a super-powered villain (later a dubious "heroine" when she joined the Neo Knights) -- plus she's HAWT. ;D

FFN
17th August 2010, 11:48 AM
Anybody read ongoing issue 10 yet?

I'm getting tired of how the art style keeps changing. YEP, the art style changed AGAIN. This is the fourth such change since Don stopped drawing this book.

Sharky
17th August 2010, 01:49 PM
Anybody read ongoing issue 10 yet?

I'm getting tired of how the art style keeps changing. YEP, the art style changed AGAIN. This is the forth such change since Don stopped drawing this book.

i read it.... didnt notice it too much but then that could be after effect of blocking bad art out..

spoilery below

what i didnt like was onslaught... he appears to be a bumbling idiot... instead of a military stategist...

and for some reason they rely on swindle for plans and everything.......

and not to mention the autobots staying in car mode...

griffin
19th September 2010, 08:50 PM
Issue 11 came out this week, and sets up a bizzare situation for what we know of Decepticons... and it bugs me.
These are warriors who take what they want, not work for it.

We have the Combaticons 'working' for Energon, supplied by Nth Korea, and now we have the Predacons appearing to be defending China's territory, like mercenaries.

I remember seeing some Decepticons barely surviving on some baren planet in an earlier issue, but these ones on Earth shouldn't be content with working for humans. They should be taking and destroying.

Is this what happens to the Decepticons when there is no real Leadership/Dictatorship controlling the troops? Or maybe this is their way of infiltrating Human super-powers without setting off a nuclear war or military strike.

I'm hoping it leads up to something worthwhile in the 12th issue, as it should be the final issue in the second story arc of the Ongoing comic.

kaiden
19th September 2010, 09:25 PM
If this is what im missing out by not reading the comics... then whatever.

Paulbot
20th September 2010, 04:48 PM
Issue 11 came out this week, and sets up a bizzare situation for what we know of Decepticons... and it bugs me.
These are warriors who take what they want, not work for it.

We have the Combaticons 'working' for Energon, supplied by Nth Korea, and now we have the Predacons appearing to be defending China's territory, like mercenaries.

I remember seeing some Decepticons barely surviving on some baren planet in an earlier issue, but these ones on Earth shouldn't be content with working for humans. They should be taking and destroying.

Is this what happens to the Decepticons when there is no real Leadership/Dictatorship controlling the troops? Or maybe this is their way of infiltrating Human super-powers without setting off a nuclear war or military strike.

Well IDW's Decepticons have never really seemed to be the just "taking and destroying" type. Their phases approach to war was to use the local resources to get their energon rather than taking by force (and it makes them stand out from other Universe incarnations of the Decepticons). Getting paid by the Asian governments for shelter and their military might seems to be working out quite well for the Combaticons and Predacons really. They've not been executed like poor old Thrust.

The only thing that really bugged me in this issue was the scene with Brawn at the beginning -- because the strong grumpy Minibot is actually Gears not Brawn and if anyone's got to have issues with being left out wouldn't it be the paranoid Red Alert?

I also think one of the panels of Vortex being taken out by the Autobot's backup seemed confused. It's like a panel is missing of the actual collision/attack? One minute he's jumping the next he's falling down to the ground?

i_amtrunks
20th September 2010, 05:13 PM
Just read issue #10, and it was a setup issue for #11, no question about it.

Though it was a stupid autobot plan... "lets get mauled, and have soldiers get truly hurt, just to instill a false sense of security on the decepticons... for when we bring in a secret weapon next time."

Art is improving, and surprise, surprise, the more transformers, and less humans the better the issue. (still hated the rather bad portrayal of a certain human leader, very Team America).

Paulbot
19th October 2010, 07:40 PM
Issue 12 provides a bit of an odd conclusion to this story. On re-reading the speech at the end might be a good bookend to some of the earlier scenes but as a standalone issue I was thinking "boy this book is getting preachy".

There's some stuff I can't comment on without spoilers so spoilers the ending is supposed to be shocking but I find myself not caring. IDW have played the shock death card far too often for me to be concerned the way I should. end spoilers

Best bit of the issue: Cosmos gets his moment to shine.

Sharky
20th October 2010, 10:20 AM
the more i read this the more disapointed i get where did the predacons get the energon from to leave the others.

and as i said somewhere else. an oh so too familiar scene to wrap up the book

a year into the book and it feels we have nothing....

i_amtrunks
20th October 2010, 05:37 PM
So boring, so dull, and some of the better scenes with TC are not seen?

And the conclusion is just a retread of a retread of a retread. I wonder if IDW will put out another Mini to revive the character "killed off" where Alpha Trion awakens him somewhere? :rolleyes:

Sky Shadow
20th October 2010, 08:02 PM
Well that was stupid. The only good bit was Rampage - it's intriguing that he and the Predacons have made their home in China and it's a fantastic contrast to the typical Transformers All Live In America trope. The problem is, the series does not have a good enough writer to take that great concept and actually run somewhere worthwhile with it. And I hope that guy at the end was IDW's Joey Slick, because if that gun was anything but Megatron, this series makes no sense at all.

GoktimusPrime
21st October 2010, 09:31 PM
Okay... this has bugged me since the previous issue as well but... since when did North Korea border the Republic of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China)?!??! Last time I checked, North Korea shared a border with The People's Republic of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Republic_of_China), _not_ the Republic of China. In the last issue the Predacons told Optimus Prime that he was coming too close to the border of the Republic of China - then in this issue again they speak of the Chinese Republic (and not the Chinese People's Republic).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmmegatron.jpg

Sharky
22nd October 2010, 05:47 AM
Okay... this has bugged me since the previous issue as well but... since when did North Korea border the Republic of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China)?!??! Last time I checked, North Korea shared a border with The People's Republic of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Republic_of_China), _not_ the Republic of China. In the last issue the Predacons told Optimus Prime that he was coming too close to the border of the Republic of China - then in this issue again they speak of the Chinese Republic (and not the Chinese People's Republic).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmmegatron.jpg

isnt that like jsut refering to the united states of america just as america.....abbreviated....

GoktimusPrime
22nd October 2010, 03:10 PM
No. You could refer to the People's Republic of China as just "China" and the Republic of China can be simply referred to as "Taiwan," but they're not the same 'country' - whether you consider the Republic of China to be a separate state from the People's Republic of China is open to debate. The People's Republic of China is officially recognised as a sovereign state by the United Nations, whereas the Republic of China is not. That's why in Australia we have Chinese embassies and Chinese consulates, but we don't have Taiwanese embassies or consulates. But we do have equivalent organisations (e.g. Taiwanese Friendship Associations (http://www.atfa.org.au/)) which perform similar duties as embassies and consulates (e.g. renewing Taiwanese passports, Visas etc.).

If you look at the Wikipedia page for "Republic of China" one of the first things it states is "Not to be confused with the People's Republic of China." The Republic of China has a separate government (semi-presidential republic) and currency (Taiwan Dollar) from the People's Republic of China (which is a communist state and their currency is the Renminbi (or Chinese Yuan)). They also have a separate flag and national anthem (although not officially recognised). The Republic of China also uses a different written language from the People's Republic of China (Taiwan uses traditional Chinese whereas PRC uses simplified Chinese).

I'm not trying to start a political debate about Taiwanese sovereignty - but the fact is that the People's Republic of China = mainland China, whereas the Republic of China = Taiwan. And it's a fact that North Korea shares a border with the People's Republic of China, not the Republic of China.

In terms of geographic location, the Republic of China is also an island which lies east to the People's Republic of China and is separated by the Sea of Taiwan. So to say that North Korea shares a border with the Republic of China is like saying that New Zealand shares a border to the north of NSW.

Paulbot
22nd October 2010, 03:39 PM
The Transformers Ongoing comic takes place on an alternate Earth to ours. One where the Decepticons spent a year bombing the #$@% out of the whole planet. Isn't it possible there were political changes after this world war against the Cybertronians?

Dislike the comic for inconsistencies with the Transformers themselves perhaps, rather than with politics of our world.

Sharky
22nd October 2010, 03:49 PM
12 issuees in that is one full year of comics... so what do we have

in a nutshell

not a lot.

Prime gave up the command
Bumbles took over
magnus came and then left i assume
hot rod has gone into space
alot of characters we have seen only once or twice...
a little fighting
and a lotta humans
thundercracker getting some limelight

after 12 months and the end of issue 12 all i can say is

why are the autobots even bothering with being on eearth, the humnas are not weak they can single handedly take down a transformer so why not leave the planet and let them take care of the cons and go do something interesting and worthy of reading in space. need protecting my butt..

Transformers is missing something. what is it you may ask

the answer is simple

a writer that knows how to write transformer storiees

More happened in 4 issues of Drift or ironhide then it did in 12 issues of ongoing

in my opinion the first year of tf comics gets a C-

GoktimusPrime
22nd October 2010, 09:58 PM
The Transformers Ongoing comic takes place on an alternate Earth to ours. One where the Decepticons spent a year bombing the #$@% out of the whole planet. Isn't it possible there were political changes after this world war against the Cybertronians?
A plausible fansplanation (about as plausible as trying to explain the significant reinvention of Europe (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Europa_2000) in "Trans-Europe Express (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Trans-Europe_Express)").

While such fan theories may be arguably plausible, one wonders if this was the author's intent or if he just screwed up. :p

Dislike the comic for inconsistencies with the Transformers themselves perhaps, rather than with politics of our world.
I thought the entire point of using real world references was to 'ground' the story into reality and make it feel more real for readers. If not, then why else bother using real world references?

Furthermore, it kinda affects my enjoyment of a story when it takes a real world reference but then portrays it in an unrealistic (or highly unlikely) scenario. I can suspend disbelief when it's something that's not grounded in reality (e.g. a race of sentient living transforming robots), but when you start making direct references to reality, then once you start defying it, it kinda feels strange. Another example would be say Spider-Man 2's suggestion that nuclear fission can be created from a single atom of tritium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium). Yeah, um... no.

You're better off just making up fictional stuff and going off that, like fictional elements (e.g. adamantium), fictional biology (e.g. midichlorians) or even fictional geography and poliltics (e.g. Prince Jumal, Abdul Fakkadi or the Socialist Democratic Federated Republic of Carbombya (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Socialist_Democratic_Federated_Republic_of_Carbomb ya)) etc. -- at least if it's fictional then noone can question it and it becomes far easier to suspend disbelief and lose yourself in the fantasy.

snazzbot 101
22nd October 2010, 10:09 PM
Isn't this simply an instance where someone made a mistake.

With name? Such as making a parsec a measure of time rather than distance?

(and no doubt it could be similarly retconned to make actual sense)

GoktimusPrime
22nd October 2010, 10:23 PM
Isn't this simply an instance where someone made a mistake.

With name? Such as making a parsec a measure of time rather than distance?
Yeah, but it's fairly significant stuff up. And they did it twice. When it happened in #11 I noticed it, but thought to myself that surely they'd correct it in the next issue. Nope.

I would also put to you that it's a greater stuff up than using parsec to measure time rather than distance, because it could be argued that time and space are one and the same (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime)... whereas I don't know how one could argue that North Korea shares her northern landlocked border with the Republic of China when it's common knowledge that it's shared with the People's Republic of China.

(and no doubt it could be similarly retconned to make actual sense)
True... but until such a retcon is cited in canon, then officially it looks like a stuff up. At best it's a fansplanation (a rather awkward one at that). If it's officially retconned then I'll happily accept it - but until then I think it's rather questionable. (-_-)

Sharky
22nd October 2010, 10:38 PM
grounding a story and making it feel more real to readers is not why i read comics.....besides how real can giant alien robots be anyway... i do not need a geographic or political explanation to figure out the predacons were not happy campers...

snazzbot 101
22nd October 2010, 10:38 PM
True, but if you believe something is correct (such as that China is the Republic of China) you will continue with that mistake until someone corrects you.

If someone asked me on the street what China's official name was I would like to think I would answer correctly. Republic of China does not sound right somehow, but I can understand how someone simply made an error and it simply not made aware of it.

But I never knew Taiwan was known as the Republic of China.

But now I know...

GoktimusPrime
22nd October 2010, 10:49 PM
True, but if you believe something is correct (such as that China is the Republic of China) you will continue with that mistake until someone corrects you.

If someone asked me on the street what China's official name was I would like to think I would answer correctly. Republic of China does not sound right somehow, but I can understand how someone simply made an error and it simply not made aware of it.
Yeah but if you're writing as a professional for a publication, then it pays to do some basic research -- which is ridiculously easy now in the age of Google. The author would've been better off just saying "China" rather than trying to sound clever and calling it the "Republic of China" then massively screwing it up. :/

But I never knew Taiwan was known as the Republic of China.

But now I know...
And knowing's half the battle! :D

Spider-Man: "What's the other half?"
Duke: "Violence."
- Mego Twisted Theatre

snazzbot 101
22nd October 2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah but if you're writing as a professional for a publication, then it pays to do some basic research -- which is ridiculously easy now in the age of Google. The author would've been better off just saying "China" rather than trying to sound clever and calling it the "Republic of China" then massively screwing it up. :/

And knowing's half the battle! :D

Spider-Man: "What's the other half?"
Duke: "Violence."
- Mego Twisted Theatre

That's the response I was hoping for!

You talk of research but if you believe what you think is TRUE than you run with it until you're proven wrong - it's human nature. No doubt Editorial should have picked that up, but in the comics industry nowadays you surely don't believe Editor actually look at words do you?

(Unless it's clear they wont all fit in a trade)

heroic_decepticon
23rd October 2010, 01:12 AM
Gok, remembering our discussion about how Americans (at least those we have been in contact with) are not so aquatinted with geography and thinks that American is the whole world, you wouldn't seriously expect Mike Costa (one of the lousier TF writers, if-not-the-lousiest) to actually know that fine a detail.

I think its a little pedantic to pick up that mistake he made, easy enough and easily confusing. Yes, he should have done research or the editing team should. However, the most appalling thing is (not that I've read #12) that there is nothing of merit to talk about, there is nothing contentious or remotely interesting to discuss, other than the writer making this silly mistake. That is sad, for the writer. I think he should quit before he is fired.

Oh, at least that bare-chested Spike issue had something for people to discuss and fight over.

i_amtrunks
23rd October 2010, 02:25 PM
I think he should quit before he is fired.

But it seems writing pointless and stretched out maxi series, and more or less ignoring the previous written fiction are two qualifiers for being an IDW Transformers writer! :rolleyes:

A problem I have had with the past 12 issues is not just the lack of momentum, or decent writing, and not even the way 12 issues have barely covered about 4 issues of material, but how boring the art has been as well. It's technically very good, but the washed out look is getting boring fast.

SharkyMcShark
23rd October 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm with Gok on this. The PRC and the ROC are two entirely different things and its very lazy editting not to have picked up on it - but then lazy editting is something I've come to expect from IDW.

The first 12 issues have suffered from too many changes in tack to be honest. It started in the vain of AHM/Revelations - large large cast of characters all of which get very little time except for a few central bots. Then we swtiched to an Infiltration/Escalation style small cast of Autobots (Ratchet, OP, Bee, Cliffjumper and Jetfire). Now they've switched back to something of a middle ground, with those and now Brawn, Red Alert and Silverstreak getting a lot of time to have a whinge back at base.

Specifically on the second arc, while I feel that the concept of having different fragments of the Decepticons form their own factions is something that can work really really well if done right (a la War Within Dark Ages), here it's too simple.

heroic_decepticon
26th October 2010, 02:21 AM
But it seems writing pointless and stretched out maxi series, and more or less ignoring the previous written fiction are two qualifiers for being an IDW Transformers writer! :rolleyes:

[bear in mind I'm saying the below only having read the first ongoing trade paperback; quite unlikely I will buy the second and suffer through more crass]

That much is true. I can't understand why IDW apparently hires writers at random. First Shane McC, then now Mike Costa, who's a friend of someone and someone who knows someone at IDW...
"hey, we happen to want to produce a TF ongoing comic book. Would you like to write it because you are a friend of a friend, etc, even though you know jack shit about the characters and TFs in particular?"....
"Sure, why not? Who doesn't want to make a quick buck"...
"Here you are fans, Transformers Ongoing = (more crass down your throat)".

If Furman is no longer top dog because his books does not sell, I can't see how IDW can justify that these jokers' writing can sell better than Furman. Even Marvel which I think is suffering from writing lows takes more pride in its production than IDW's TFs. Looking back, Ongoing is at the very most no better than the Pat Lee Dreamwave stuff and at worst even lousier than the worst Dreamwave stuff.

GoktimusPrime
26th October 2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Dreamwave's TF stuff was actually getting good before they went under. They did suffer from all kinds of weird errors though, like numerous typos and the occasional transparent speech bubble.

Paulbot
26th October 2010, 12:48 PM
However, the most appalling thing is (not that I've read #12) that there is nothing of merit to talk about, there is nothing contentious or remotely interesting to discuss

Well there's this

Best bit of the issue: Cosmos gets his moment to shine.

I can't think of any other appearance (outside the cartoon) where Cosmos gets to fulfill his dual functions of communications and reconnaissance. It's always nice to see one of your first TF toys get some in print love.

i_amtrunks
26th October 2010, 05:40 PM
Cosomos was one of only two halfway decently done things in the whole maxi, TC getting some spotlight was also handled well, the leader shift to Bee was a good idea, poorly executed.

The weapon used at the end of #12 (intentionally vague for spoiler reasons) sure better be explained (quickly), the damage it causes is ridiculously over the top.

SharkyMcShark
26th October 2010, 06:05 PM
The only issue they'd have to explain it in the foreseeable future is issue 14 - 13 is about Rodimus in space, and 15 is about Megatron returning to earth.

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2010, 09:36 PM
yeah, I liked seeing Thundercracker and Cosmos getting more limelight there. :) Not really hot about Cosmos' space helmet though... so... cheesy. He's a freakin' robot -- he doesn't breathe! :/ Anyone notice the inconsistent eye colouring on Cosmos? (sometimes he's got reddish eyes, other times he's got blue eyes... buh?!)

Tallestblue
31st October 2010, 12:26 AM
Click for spoilers!BUMBLBEEEEEE!!! WHYYYYY!!!! Mike Costa just made an army of tween TF fans cry.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2010, 11:13 AM
Meh... Bumblebee's been offed by humans before (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/e/ee/JoeTF1.jpg). Although being pwned by a single shot from a tiny handgun seems lame

i_amtrunks
31st October 2010, 11:20 AM
snip

Not really, the readers numbers on the ongoing are pretty low, doubt there are many tweens out there reading the ongoing... :rolleyes:

And no-one (bar the Prime before Optimus) ever stays dead, look at Ironhide.

kup
31st October 2010, 11:53 AM
I think they are just randomly killing Bumblebee for cheap shock value.

Tallestblue
31st October 2010, 12:16 PM
Meh... Bumblebee's been offed by humans before (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/e/ee/JoeTF1.jpg). Although being pwned by a single shot from a tiny handgun seems lame

Yeahhh....welll...click for a possible spoiler....That Handgun is Megatron, I'm sure of it.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2010, 10:40 PM
I thought that dude was still out in space aboard Astrotrain on life support. I assume that's also why Rampage wasn't with the other Predacons so that they could've formed Predaking... (cos last time we saw Razorclaw, he was on a barren asteroid overwatching the space-bound Decepticons under Starscream's command cannabalise each other).

The humans do have adapted Cybertronian technology (like the rifle reverse-engineered from Shockwave's gun hand). A rifle I could understand... but an itty bitty handgun? Reminds me of that tiny pistol from Men In Black. ;) Although if you're right it would be a neat G1 tribute (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/92/MarvelUS-13.jpg). :)

Tallestblue
31st October 2010, 11:11 PM
click for spoilers- you don't see much but that handle, hammer and silencer look very familiar.

i_amtrunks
31st October 2010, 11:54 PM
I thought that dude was still out in space aboard Astrotrain on life support. I assume that's also why Rampage wasn't with the other Predacons so that they could've formed Predaking... (cos last time we saw Razorclaw, he was on a barren asteroid overwatching the space-bound Decepticons under Starscream's command cannabalise each other).

Pfft, since when has continuity mattered? :p

GoktimusPrime
1st November 2010, 07:27 PM
Zing!

SharkyMcShark
14th November 2010, 03:42 PM
The latest issue was punchy but it felt very short and ultimately pointless.

The entire point of the episode was basically to take the Matrix (still in Starscreams possession from the end of AHM) out of play + introduce Megatron by having him 'kill off' a major character (in a way that you just KNOW will result in his resurrection later)

Sky Shadow
14th November 2010, 03:50 PM
You know what would be a shock twist? If got to the end of one of these IDW comics and they hadn't gratuitously killed someone off.

Sharky
14th November 2010, 04:20 PM
You know what would be a shock twist? If got to the end of one of these IDW comics and they hadn't gratuitously killed someone off.

Arise....Rodimus Prime.......

*****Your got the Touch*******You got the power******

bumblebee down... prime a pansy..........they may or maynot see a connection between but would be cool this new guy arrives... leads the autobots out of the darkest hour... but they dont connect its hot rod.......a prime with a secret......

SharkyMcShark
14th November 2010, 05:49 PM
Who else have they faux killed off during the course of the Ongoing? (you know, unlit optics, big hole in chest etc).

Ironhide, Hot Rod, Bumblebee...?

Sky Shadow
14th November 2010, 06:14 PM
Who else have they faux killed off during the course of the Ongoing? (you know, unlit optics, big hole in chest etc).

Ironhide, Hot Rod, Bumblebee...?

Scrapper.

I have no problem with Transformers dying at all - they should be expendable. it's when they make it a big-deal-big-name death when we all know they'll just rise again in a dozen issues time like Optimus Prime, Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Megatron etc. all have that it becomes cheap.

SharkyMcShark
14th November 2010, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about Scrapper.

Yeah I don't mind them being killed off but if they keep being brought back that's just annoying (and its something that has happened to Prime specifically too much during the IDW run) (well, twice) (I think)

i_amtrunks
15th November 2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah the Bee "kill off" is just lazy.

His popularity has never been higher thanks to the movies, so he wont be offed (and cannot be upgraded to Goldbug, since he is a different character).

If memory serves, wasn't there a big deal made about bumblebee "upgrading" to a movie-ish new body in the ongoing? So why since has he been back in his older body? (too many artists perhaps?)

Sharky
15th November 2010, 11:16 AM
(too many artists perhaps?)

to much artistic freedom more like it.... its all well and good having lots of artists... but there should be some standards, it doesnt have to be high detail mechanical art, but atleast the same alt modes....

SharkyMcShark
15th November 2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah the Bee "kill off" is just lazy.

His popularity has never been higher thanks to the movies, so he wont be offed (and cannot be upgraded to Goldbug, since he is a different character).

If memory serves, wasn't there a big deal made about bumblebee "upgrading" to a movie-ish new body in the ongoing? So why since has he been back in his older body? (too many artists perhaps?)

That was only one issue, he was in his new body for the whole of the International Incident arc (and will mow no doubt be rebuilt into the normal G1 Bee body)

i_amtrunks
15th November 2010, 06:17 PM
(and will mow no doubt be rebuilt into the normal G1 Bee body)

Or a 2008 Camaro body.... :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
15th November 2010, 07:58 PM
And don't forget Figueroa's G1-moofie hybrid designs. Visual design continuity is just all over the place at IDW! :D

Wow... what a plug for Shadow Command Megatron. (<_<)

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2010, 10:15 PM
***potential spoilers ahead***

*deep.sigh* Just when I thought visual continuity was already stuffed up with IDW's G1... not only do we bounce back and forth between 'Neo-G1' and 'G1-moofie' aesthetics... now we've shifted from FIBRIR to FIRRIB. (-_-) I don't want to start up yet another stupid FIRRIB/FIBRIR debate, but come on... surely IDW could just pick one and stick with it. IDW have consistently been using FIBRIR -- now all of a sudden in #14 - WHAM - FIRRIB! It's FIRRIB both on the outside (Cover B) and inside of the comic book. Furthermore, Rumble is predominantly purple rather than blue, which is a direct reference to the way he was coloured in the G1 cartoon (although he is blue on the front cover).

Now had IDW started off with FIRRIB from the outstart, then yeah sure, it would justify the use of FIRRIB in #14... but to use FIBRIR for the past three years (nearly 3.5 actually), only to now suddenly switch to FIRRIB with no explanation... GRAAARGH!! Somebody give Andrew Dalhouse a kick to the janglies please!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmmegatron.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_shoulders.gif

kup
11th December 2010, 11:09 PM
This is one of the reasons why I have abandoned IDW comics. There is no consistency whatsoever, not even within the same series. Hard to get immersed in the fictional world when everything is in flux from issue to issue.

heroic_decepticon
12th December 2010, 03:58 AM
Not that I have read the issue, the editor should really take a good look at him/her self in the mirror for making such a aedile mistake

SharkyMcShark
12th December 2010, 04:16 AM
Art issues aside IDWs editting has been shocking for a few years.

Paulbot
13th December 2010, 11:32 AM
Just saying that Costa's "explaining" of how the human who shot Bumblebee got his weapon was very very lazy.

Since the issue has been released, I'll just type it: The weapon used to shot Bumblebee was ordered online from a random website.... :(
Sure there are machinations behind it, but really, a website?

But it wasn't just a random website. This issue suggested a lot more was going on that and the Decepticons were involved in all steps of the plan. The radio was talking to him? Well yes I think it actually was.

I'm a little confused by the last panel of the most recent issue myself and am interested in seeing what happens next. The latest issue was a bit too talky though.

SharkyMcShark
8th January 2011, 01:45 AM
More blatant ignoring of design continuity with this one - as I've said before, look I don't mind that they're changing the aesthetic each issue (from Don's look, to Guido's took, etc) but the physical designs are now changing between issues - Starscream is now back in the F-22 Raptor body as designed by EJ Su for the start of the -ation series - it even flashes back to him battling Hot Rod (as from issue 13 when he was still in the MP Starscream F-15 Eagle body) with that look.

heroic_decepticon
8th January 2011, 03:25 AM
I should have said that I read TF Ongoing vol 2 and the Ironhide TPB. I wanted to give it another chance, even after all the bad reviews it has here.

Ongoing vol 2 is okay interest. As in the read it, then put it down and went 'hurmph' kind of interesting. Probably will not re-read this. And what's with the art? It says that Guido and EJ Su each drew stuff. Nothing in there seems to be of the quality of their past work - the illustrations look very little like what they used to produce. What gives, I wonder.

Ironhide miniseries, well is just a piece of sh*t miniseries (I don't think I want to say more or the expletives would flow).

SharkyMcShark
8th January 2011, 03:32 AM
Regarding the artwork, I read somewhere that IDW is basically being willingly bizarre - I read in an interview somewhere that they've essentially insisted that each artist not only use a different aesthetic but different designs too (whoever it was that did the art for episode 9 said that they'd gotten halfway through it and got told to start over using different designs)

heroic_decepticon
8th January 2011, 03:48 AM
Regarding the artwork, I read somewhere that IDW is basically being willingly bizarre - I read in an interview somewhere that they've essentially insisted that each artist not only use a different aesthetic but different designs too (whoever it was that did the art for episode 9 said that they'd gotten halfway through it and got told to start over using different designs)

doesn't make sense for IDW to be doing that, but who knows what these people are smoking there nowadays

SharkyMcShark
8th January 2011, 08:17 PM
A re read of this issue reveals the error I pointed out to be (another one of the many) editing mistakes that the IDW run is rapidly becoming infamous for - Starscream in one flashback is shown arguing with Soundwave still in his MP F-15 Eagle body, and then a few pages later in another flashback, this time to issue 13, in his F-22 Raptor body while fighting Hot Rod (the error being that in that issue he had his MP Starscream body)

Paulbot
8th January 2011, 11:47 PM
I read this latest issue and the character model changes just don't bother me. I can always tell who a character is supposed to be and that's what matters. I just don't care that the jet modes have randomly changed for the seekers or whatever. It's just artistic licence.

If there's any complaint about this issue it's that most of it is devoted to the bad guy (although it's not clear which) revealing the evil plot, which could have been condensed so more actually happened. The timeframe it gives doesn't feel like it matches the comics that came before, but instead seems to be based in reality. Did Ongoing #1 take place 14 months before Ongoing #15? Never felt like that as a reader.

SharkyMcShark
9th January 2011, 06:47 AM
Slightly petty continuity whining aside, the last page of this issue is a fantastic piece of art. We NEED a toy of that Starscream.

i_amtrunks
13th January 2011, 06:49 PM
So #15 is the best issue we have had thus far, but the art still stinks, and there were still about 6-10 pages wasted on crud that could have been covered in about 1-2 pages tops.

Fills in the back story nicely, it is not the first time a TF has had a new body constructed from nothing...

Having Megatron give a little of his conciousness to each gun also is silly, and a very roundabout way of getting Bumblebee shot... it's almost like this plot point was quickly thought of after Costa had decided to have Bee shot... knee jerk backstory with plenty of "lucky coincidences" ftw.

SharkyMcShark
13th January 2011, 06:54 PM
I can see where they're going with it.

And it probably will involve grabbing a bunch of the guns so they've got a sizeable chunk of Megatron's spark, and then using it to bring him down just as his plan is about to come to fruition.

Or something.

Sky Shadow
13th January 2011, 11:29 PM
Having Megatron give a little of his conciousness to each gun also is silly, and a very roundabout way of getting Bumblebee shot.

And it probably will involve grabbing a bunch of the guns so they've got a sizeable chunk of Megatron's spark, and then using it to bring him down just as his plan is about to come to fruition.

Bring on 'Optimus Prime and The Deathly Hallows'.

i_amtrunks
24th February 2011, 08:35 PM
So #16 was a bit of everything:
- Too much squishies talking
- Magnus not dealing with stuff
- Starscream being a git
- Megatron being insane
- Megatron being insane but stomping squishies (yay!)
- Thundercracker getting even more spotlight time
- resolution of an anti-cliffhanger
- very little robot-e-robot violence
- wasted pages and slow moving story
- inconsistent art

But overall, it actually was alright, not good, certainly not great, but alright. It seems Costa has a direction and an idea of how to move in that direction. Too bad it's taken so long to go nowhere to get to this point.

SharkyMcShark
25th February 2011, 02:22 PM
I've also been reading some of the movie prequel stuff, and speaking generally I wonder if IDW has been told its cool to really let the humans have it now? I mean sure we've had like... implicit off panel death before, but now three series runnng at the same time (ongoing, infestation, and the movie stuff) have humans being vaporised down to skeletons.

heroic_decepticon
26th February 2011, 12:20 AM
So #16 was a bit of everything:

- Magnus not dealing with stuff
*snip*

the guy's not improved since 1986... "consistency is not victory". You fail, Magnus.

GoktimusPrime
26th February 2011, 12:18 PM
G1 Comic Magnus was pretty cool. Yeah sure, he constantly got nine colours of snot beat out of him again and again and again -- but that's because G1 comic Galvatron was a freakin' demi-god. For a relative "mere mortal," I think Ultra Magnus did okay. :)

SharkyMcShark: since this thread is about IDW's ongoing G1 and not their movieverse comics, I would have appreciated it if you'd spoiler tagged your comment about humans being vapourised to skeletons, as I'd read that post _before_ I picked up my DotM prequel comics yesterday (and only read it this morning). :( Perhaps if it were posted in a thread for the DotM prequel comics then I would have abstained from reading such a thread until I read the comics to avoid spoilers... but I walked into this thread about TF Ongoing, which I'm up to date on, and was inadvertantly exposed to a DotM prequel spoiler. :(

A spoiler warning and/or spoiler tags would be appreciated. Thank you.

Paul Agnew
26th February 2011, 01:33 PM
the guy's not improved since 1986... "consistency is not victory". You fail, Magnus.

Ah, but it's his consistency of not being able to deal with it that ensures victory. :p

SharkyMcShark
26th February 2011, 05:09 PM
G1 Comic Magnus was pretty cool. Yeah sure, he constantly got nine colours of snot beat out of him again and again and again -- but that's because G1 comic Galvatron was a freakin' demi-god. For a relative "mere mortal," I think Ultra Magnus did okay. :)

SharkyMcShark: since this thread is about IDW's ongoing G1 and not their movieverse comics, I would have appreciated it if you'd spoiler tagged your comment about humans being vapourised to skeletons, as I'd read that post _before_ I picked up my DotM prequel comics yesterday (and only read it this morning). :( Perhaps if it were posted in a thread for the DotM prequel comics then I would have abstained from reading such a thread until I read the comics to avoid spoilers... but I walked into this thread about TF Ongoing, which I'm up to date on, and was inadvertantly exposed to a DotM prequel spoiler. :(

A spoiler warning and/or spoiler tags would be appreciated. Thank you.

Generic humans being offed isn't a spoiler and doesn't warrant two :(s.

heroic_decepticon
28th February 2011, 03:17 AM
Ah, but it's his consistency of not being able to deal with it that ensures victory. :p

... I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe if his UK love interest Cindy helped him, victory might be possible...

Fonecrusher
9th March 2011, 01:25 AM
So #15 is the best issue we have had thus far, but the art still stinks, and there were still about 6-10 pages wasted on crud that could have been covered in about 1-2 pages tops.

Fills in the back story nicely, it is not the first time a TF has had a new body constructed from nothing...

Having Megatron give a little of his conciousness to each gun also is silly, and a very roundabout way of getting Bumblebee shot... it's almost like this plot point was quickly thought of after Costa had decided to have Bee shot... knee jerk backstory with plenty of "lucky coincidences" ftw.

Yeah I gotta agree #15 was pretty good mini megatron guns aside. But who was narrating it? It's been kind of bugging me, I was under the impression Shockwave was...

Sky Shadow
13th March 2011, 04:54 PM
#17 was probably the first unawful issue in a long time. Stuff actually happened! And even though Megatron no doubt has a plagiarism lawsuit on the way from Adrian Veight, at least he was interesting this issue. "Don't be an idiot, Prime. You'd only try to stop me and I'd probably accidentally kill you. And I can't have you dead yet" was the best speech bubble in a Transformers comic since Last Stand Of The Wreckers. And the ending was great - I don't know if it was a deliberate allusion to Marvel US #4, but it was awesome either way.

(That said, the random redesigns of characters is just getting stupid. Can you imagine if every subsequent issue of Justice League America had the characters drawn with completely different costumes and hair? Seriously, IDW needs to come up with specific models for each character and get each artist to draw that design in their own style, not just use the kewlest Jetfire or Jazz or Cliffjumper that comes to their heads in any given month.)

SharkyMcShark
13th March 2011, 10:28 PM
The designs as they were in that issue (Jazz and CJwith headlamp shoulders, Jetfire as a hulking B1-ish bomber, etc) are the designs that the first arc of Ongoing used, and I wish they'd stick with them instead of randomly going back to Sunbowish funland every now and then.

Having soundwave standing there was kind of dumb and annoyed me a bit, but the twist at the end was good.

Also on page 11 it looks like Magnus is doing something to Soundwave's foot with some kind of finger tool. What was going on there?

SharkyMcShark
13th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Also that Jazz design is about 10 times better than RtS Jazz.

EDIT: I mean in saying that I understand that Ongoing Jazz is like 95% Animated Freeway Jazz done in the style of Don's Ongoing bots, but I think my point still stands.

Tallestblue
13th March 2011, 11:46 PM
So, caught up on my Ongoing reading and well, it's almost to the point where it should be. Megatron SHOULD be vaporising puny humans for daring to strike him. None of this Constructicons being taken out by one man garbage.

snaketales
15th March 2011, 01:34 AM
Also on page 11 it looks like Magnus is doing something to Soundwave's foot with some kind of finger tool. What was going on there?

I figured he was detecting/jamming Soundwave's transmissions, which I think were channeling the 'voices' to the people with those weapons.

GoktimusPrime
19th March 2011, 12:18 AM
(That said, the random redesigns of characters is just getting stupid. Can you imagine if every subsequent issue of Justice League America had the characters drawn with completely different costumes and hair? Seriously, IDW needs to come up with specific models for each character and get each artist to draw that design in their own style, not just use the kewlest Jetfire or Jazz or Cliffjumper that comes to their heads in any given month.)
YES! This is something I've whinged about before... the lack of consistent visual continuity in the character designs!! Gah! It reminds me of that scene from Kung Pow: Enter The Fist with Evil Betty... "Your shirt is red!" "Your shirt is blue!" :p

Kootchy-koo? :p

Paulbot
15th April 2011, 08:00 PM
The latest issue, the last of this story arc, feels a bit anti-climatic and doesn't flow that nicely from the last issue. At the same time it feels really rushed with many characters having very brief appearances despite their importance to the plot.

I find it hard to reconcile the two major characters facing off in this issue as the same robots we saw do the same years ago in the second IDW series.

I do look forward to the upcoming story arcs trying to make this feel like a more unified continuity.

Paulbot
23rd June 2011, 09:56 AM
I purchased and read Transformers 20 today and was pretty happy with it. It's the Hot Rod and Wheelie show again as a prelude to the Chaos story and it also picks up the story from the Ironhide limited series. Problem is if you haven't actually read that Limited series you'll be a bit in the dark as the recap occurs between panels. Or that silent panel is meant to have exposition-heavy speech bubbles!

I really liked Guido's art in this issue helped by the nice colouring. There's a Hot Rod transforms panel that's the highlight for me art wise. The "movie-esque" designs of the ongoing are gone, with the mix of Cartoon/Classics designs seen in All Hail Megatron back again. This might upset you if you need consistency, but many I think would be happy to see that look again (like I am).

Story-wise this is still prelude stuff so it's kind of missable and not essential, but the stuff being set up does make me excited for the Chaos arc's promises of tying up loose ends and plot lines.

Also, special mention must be made of the member of the swarm that debuts here. Dont want to say too much for risk of spoilers, but Fansproject should be putting one of those together.

Paulbot
13th July 2011, 08:00 PM
Haven't had a chance to buy #21 yet but I had a look at the #22 preview Kup posted (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11537) and think it looks awesome

A Variable Voltage Harness! The Black Hole thing! Xaaron! Cybertronian apartheid!

The few flashbacks in that preview and better than the entire Megatron Origin limited series.

bowspearer
22nd July 2011, 10:27 AM
Transformers 21 was great. I love the way they're handling Bumblebee's leadership and the way he's dealing with his insecurities while still pushing ahead with the job at hand.

The part where he says "I never had a chance, did I?" to Prime was just so perfect for the storyline.

Every issue they put out convinces me more and more that the biggest problem iwth the Live Action Movies is that they aren't more like the IDW comics.

bassbot
22nd July 2011, 02:33 PM
the past 4/5 issues have been building amazingly. I can't wait to grab #22 this arvo!!!

liegeprime
22nd July 2011, 03:40 PM
Nice, Just confirmed PZ at Parra still has some copies, might trek there this coming week once I feel better.:)

Hmmm reading Paulbot's comments... that would explain re: Ironhide in the ongoing, coz I only follow the ongoing and havent bought the limited series ones which is why it's got me confused. I bought also Heart of Darkness #4 (missed and searching #3) and I must say that this is really a different take on Galvy, not to mention that I really didnt like the art. It's like a grade schooler hired to do a pro comics.... :mad::mad:The covers were awesome, but inside, ugh.... glad it was only 4 issues.

Paulbot
22nd July 2011, 09:27 PM
Transformers 21 was great. I love the way they're handling Bumblebee's leadership and the way he's dealing with his insecurities while still pushing ahead with the job at hand.
Optimus Prime didn't really give Bumblebee much respect. It's interesting.

Transformers 21 is all about getting the gang back together. It starts to reveal more of IDW Optimus Prime's character which is built upon more in the next issue. I liked the look Guidi gave all the Autobots, a mix between the early models from the ongoing and a more cartoony look. There's some really nice colouring too.

There's two stories in the issue. The first is slightly longer. The second focuses on the manipulative Prowl and sets up The Last Story On Earth, as well as putting a few other characters where they need to be. After several issues setting up the upcoming stories though there needs to be some more progression.

And then Transformers #22 comes along. Best Transformers comic I've read since LOTSW. No surprise that it's the same author. I mentioned in the acquisitions thread that the book is wordy. There's more to read in the issue than there has been in most other recent Transformers, and I love it. That James Robert is a fan, and a UK fan, comes through quite clearly in the choice of some of the characters and of course the VVH. [Those poor stubbies ;)].

But it's also because of the topics of discussion. There's not much action in this book, but it doesn't mean it's dull. There's a discussion between the Autobot High Command that's quite unique and where the stakes weren't what I expected. There's Prime interrogating Megatron which is just wonderful, and manages to be funny and depressing and surprising. And there's the flashbacks to an early Megatron interacting with familiar characters as we've never seen them before. The flashbacks may tie into Megatron Origin, but are much better than that whole series in my opinion.

Alex Milne's art is also really nice. He's got pre-war Cybertron, curious Autobots, holographic Autobots, a menacing but manacled Megatron, and a terrific montage of key events from the previous 100+ issues of the IDW saga.

I hope part two in #23 lives up to this issue. I strongly recommend buying this issue if you've previously given up on the ongoing series and giving it a go.

bassbot
22nd July 2011, 11:19 PM
Nice, Just confirmed PZ at Parra still has some copies, might trek there this coming week once I feel better.:)

Hmmm reading Paulbot's comments... that would explain re: Ironhide in the ongoing, coz I only follow the ongoing and havent bought the limited series ones which is why it's got me confused. I bought also Heart of Darkness #4 (missed and searching #3) and I must say that this is really a different take on Galvy, not to mention that I really didnt like the art. It's like a grade schooler hired to do a pro comics.... :mad::mad:The covers were awesome, but inside, ugh.... glad it was only 4 issues.

Dude, if you out ur name for a standing order on Transformers at PZ you won't miss another issue! Certainly worth it for the next coming months and 2012!!!

I'll be dropping in tomorrow morning to grab #22, one for me and one for my library I think.

Sky Shadow
12th August 2011, 07:58 PM
Definitely the best of the past 23 issues - thank you James Roberts for making IDW deserve my money again. This is a great read - so much so that I thought I'd already read a whole comic at page eleven and was then elated to realise I still had the second half to go. Even Alex Milne does a great job here - in his flashback scenes (particularly his generics) he seems to be channelling Geoff Senior (rather than his usual Pat Lee.) The highlight of an issue of highlights is Optimus's scene with Rodimus - the final frame of page 7 is priceless. A+

kup
12th August 2011, 08:38 PM
Definitely the best of the past 23 issues - thank you James Roberts for making IDW deserve my money again. This is a great read - so much so that I thought I'd already read a whole comic at page eleven and was then elated to realise I still had the second half to go. Even Alex Milne does a great job here - in his flashback scenes (particularly his generics) he seems to be channelling Geoff Senior (rather than his usual Pat Lee.) The highlight of an issue of highlights is Optimus's scene with Rodimus - the final frame of page 7 is priceless. A+

It's this the issue where Impactor is having lunch with Megatron? If it is then that's awesome! I was hoping for that issue to be good and not the usual IDW mediocrity.

Sky Shadow
12th August 2011, 08:52 PM
It's this the issue where Impactor is having lunch with Megatron? If it is then that's awesome! I was hoping for that issue to be good and not the usual IDW mediocrity.

It's actually the next issue already. We 'reviewed' the Impactor and Megatron issue (#22) somewhere here on OTCA - weirdly I can't find it in a search though.

i_amtrunks
12th August 2011, 09:20 PM
I think we reviewed it in the ongoing IDW thread rather than make a thread for every issue.

I've yet to read #23 but it seems that (surprise surprise) a new writer who has obviously read much of the previously released fiction can work it all in together in a much more coherant and enjoyable story with characters rather than the blow-ins who just wanted to write a mini focussing on a character or two and then get it shoe-horned into an ongoing.

Paulbot
12th August 2011, 10:50 PM
Transformers 23. I think the Megatron issue was better but the pair of issues makes a great two parter. This was a bit more action focused which is really interesting. Megatron's issue and origin is rather non-violent, while Optimus Prime's is full of violence.

I like this story's take on the beginning of the Cybertron civil war. There's similarities to Exodus. I like that it is trying to tie in to Megatron: Origin even if I don't like that book.

But there's unanswered questions. I want to see more of that period. Perhaps one of the two new ongoings after Chaos will be set back in this era?

kup
13th August 2011, 12:04 AM
It's actually the next issue already. We 'reviewed' the Impactor and Megatron issue (#22) somewhere here on OTCA - weirdly I can't find it in a search though.

Damn! I missed out. I guess I will have to wait for the TPB.

Paulbot
26th August 2011, 06:46 PM
Transformers 24. Chaos begins and unfortunately it's a bit old school IDW. Not a lot happens in this issue really and there's a lot less to read than in the previous two parter. Livio Ramondelli's art is really nice. Unconventional for Transformers and some might hate it. Livio has some storytelling problems (often mostly because it's hard to tell who the robot in a panel is) but his renditions of the Sweeps are scary (first time in any G1 fiction I've ever thought that) and there's a great two page splash. It's helped by lovely paint-like colouring. In a way the art reminds me of the best G1 picture storybooks mixed with Animated expressionism. Still, so far the plot is not giving me what I wanted from the story and the lead up.

i_amtrunks
26th August 2011, 08:14 PM
Still, so far the plot is not giving me what I wanted from the story and the lead up.

Unfortunate to hear as the past 3 issues have been a giant leap in quality of storytelling, in two issues we got more depth and understanding of two of the most (until this point) one dimensional characters in the IDW run. Not only that but it was starting to feel as though they were building to something pivotal not only in the near future, but also relating to the "in universe" past.

But instead it looks as though Chaos is going down the trite "summer blockbuster" comic route, where there will be a big bad that shakes up the story and "things will never be the same again..." :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
31st August 2011, 09:57 PM
Transformers 24. Chaos begins and unfortunately it's a bit old school IDW. Not a lot happens in this issue really and there's a lot less to read than in the previous two parter.

Cannot agree more, issue #24 is a massive step backwards after the best two "main story" issues since Furman parted ways at the end of Revelation.

The story can be summed up very simply: "Oh! bad robots, we can't trust them, lets fight instead." Undoing everything that was built up to in the previous few issues.

And it is not like we don't all know the general idea of what is going to happen next... :rolleyes:

Art is different. I like it and dislike it at different points, it is not the best style for showing battle scenes, and this issue really tries to build up the main battle scene, so big mistake there. The next issue will shoot off on another angle, then 126 will continue this story. Could be very annoying to casual readers.

Still better than AHM and the first year of ongoing.

Paulbot
8th September 2011, 07:31 PM
Still better than AHM and the first year of ongoing.

Transformers #25 feels like a return to the early issues of the ongoing. We're back to Earth, with only the briefest mentions of what's been happening in the past few issues with the Cybertron-bound Autobots. The focus is back on Autobots in disguise in a world where the humans fear them. The art is similar to Don's early work, but the robots are a bit more rounded.

I was quite happy to see Streetwise finally making a substantial appearance after his surprise cameo in the first issue of the ongoing. There's hints that many threads from the previous (earth-based) issues of the series are going to lead towards a definite conclusion, and I do like that. If you haven't liked the Earth stories though you can probably wait two weeks until the next issue back on Cybertron.

The decision to alternate the issues is a bit odd, If you had to wait two months between issues it'd be too much. The current format does make the book two monthly comics, but I can't help feel it would have been better off to wrap up the Earth story first while the other Autobots were travelling to Cybertron.

Paulbot
22nd September 2011, 07:19 PM
Transformers #26 is the second part of Chaos and I think it's better than part one but still has flaws and we're no closer to knowing what Galvatron's plan is.

Part one seemed to be too light on plot, but part two feels like it speeds through too much plot too quickly. It's not helped by the art which, while moody and attractive, doesn't seem right for the epic battles I want to see. Instead you get a few panels only in which it's harder then it should be to work out who all those Autobots flying & driving off to battle are? (Harder when some of these haven't featured in the previous 25 issues at all, and the forces that landed on Cybertron in #24 seemed much smaller.)

Not sure about Silverbolt turning into his Universe 2.0 toy (joints and sound button included!) but there's at least another new look for a familiar character that looks really good.

Paulbot
6th October 2011, 07:36 PM
Transformers #27 takes us back to Earth, and I'm thinking it would have been better for the three-parter to have happened while the other Autobots travelled to Cybertron. Because now we've got the situation where the big important stuff is happening on Cybertron and we cut back to rather mundane happenings on earth.

But there's good stuff in the book, starting with Cover B. Sure you could pick up a cover with Bumblebee and Ultra Magnus, but those guys have been and will be on many covers. No go for the alternative cover of Streetwise vs Brawl. I quite enjoyed the Streetwise and Prowl dynamic. I like seeing the two Autobot police cars as policemen, but I really like seeing Streetwise being treated as someone more than Defensor's leg.

It's easy to tune out though during the human scenes. The ongoing comics's never made the human soldier characters all that interesting. I'm quite ready for this storyline to be wrapped up and put aside for the Chaos storyline to proceed.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2011, 09:26 PM
Not sure about Silverbolt turning into his Universe 2.0 toy (joints and sound button included!) but there's at least another new look for a familiar character that looks really good.

I liked it! Toy accuracy FTW! I wish all the Transformers were drawn like their CHUGUR toys (where possible)! :D Okay, enough exclamation marks. :p

i_amtrunks
7th October 2011, 11:26 AM
Transformers #27 takes us back to Earth, and I'm thinking it would have been better for the three-parter to have happened while the other Autobots travelled to Cybertron. Because now we've got the situation where the big important stuff is happening on Cybertron and we cut back to rather mundane happenings on earth.

Couldn't agree more, it makes these Earth issues feel like space fillers, and on their own they have made okay (if somewhat dull) comics, but when sandwitched between the more action packed Chaos issues, they pale in comparison.

I quite enjoyed the Streetwise and Prowl dynamic. I like seeing the two Autobot police cars as policemen, but I really like seeing Streetwise being treated as someone more than Defensor's leg.

It's easy to tune out though during the human scenes. The ongoing comics's never made the human soldier characters all that interesting. I'm quite ready for this storyline to be wrapped up and put aside for the Chaos storyline to proceed.

I love that we get two characters that play similar roles, but behave so differently. I'm loving that Prowl is more or less the same character we first really got to see when Roche wrote his half issue story back in the AHM Coda, until then he had been a background filler. Streetwise is just a great character to act as a counterpart.

Chaos ends in December, so really only a few weeks after the Earth based story wraps up, then we get the whole "been there, done that" vibed comics in the spotlight. Could be either good and interesting, or AHM level of stupidity.

Paulbot
7th October 2011, 11:57 AM
I liked it! Toy accuracy FTW! I wish all the Transformers were drawn like their CHUGUR toys (where possible)! :D Okay, enough exclamation marks. :p
I don't mind that the design is based on the toy, but to include the toy's gimmick button?

tinyJazz
10th October 2011, 04:55 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say how absolutely in love with Ramondelli's art I am. aauughg it's so beautiful! :C

It reads like a film colourboard, the level of depth, atmosphere and emotion is greater than I've seen with any other Transformers comic.

It's just gorgeous! In fact, I'm so distracted by the art I don't pay a lot of critical attention to the story. C: sorry!

i_amtrunks
10th October 2011, 06:06 PM
Just read the ongoing third collection (revenge of the Decepticons storyline) in trade form, and I must say it does not read well.

The mini time skips and greatly differing art styles are less noticeable when reading the individual issues weeks apart, but these differences become jarring when reading back to back. The main story holds up well enough, but the skips back to the weapons cache landing really throw out the flow. However the big thing I noticed was the massive jumps in art styles. While not problematic to the point of not knowing who charscters are from issue to issue it is annoying to have to double check that everyone is who you think they are.

Overall I'd recommend waiting for another larger collection, there is one double page of art and regular covers for each issue at back of the collection, nothing you would not have seen in the individual issues.

i_amtrunks
19th October 2011, 08:35 PM
Preview is up for issue 28, no surprise as to what ol Megsy (with a very TMNT Shredder-esque helmet) has gone and done, but what will be interesting is the relevation of where the cons are now...

After reading about the Cons dire lack of resources to survive, let alone construct anything other than Meg's new body... so how some characters have appeared and how they arrived should make for:
a) interesting reading
b) conveniently glossed over

Issue 27 was slow and the new human character they have introduced for all of 2-3 issues was wasted due to the reveal at the end of the issue.

These earth based stories have their moments (so far all tf based) but really they are just stagnating now until chaos goes all "exxxxtreeeeme".

i_amtrunks
21st October 2011, 07:49 PM
After reading about the Cons dire lack of resources to survive, let alone construct anything other than Meg's new body... so how some characters have appeared and how they arrived should make for:
a) interesting reading
b) conveniently glossed over

Surprising me, the answer given in issue #28 is both! It is only an Autobot theory as yet, but I like it! :p Love that the combiner tech can be hampered logically, and at least so far, one death has continued to mean dead.

There wasn't much given away in issue 28, but I really enjoyed it. The art works in this grand scheme of things, there is some great continuity and character driven bits and piees that correlate not only with recent ongoing events, but older Furman-verse elements as well.

Seems that whatever evil thingy (cant remember that dead zombie crossover crud too well) is coming to Cybertron that ol' Galvy is intent on stopping can control Cons, I did like the writers taking Drift out of the picture, however temporary it may be (Thanks for ruining a potentially happy moment/misdirection there press release! :D)

Maybe it is just because it is a Friday, but I realy enjoyed this issue, and overall I've enjoyed the past 8 or so issues (even the earth based few past issues have been doing something character driven, with a good lead character in Prowl.)

Since it is all meant to come to a head in issue 30, and issue 29 will wrap up the Earth story, I fear for the old furman-verse "Too much it the final issue" syndrome, bring it on!

If you have read the preview, this issue is incredibly short, but some of the double page action spreads are beautiful, if lacking in detail, but it really lends itself to the dark story.

Paulbot
21st October 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm still struggling to tell who everyone is at times, but it will really make a wonderful looking book.

I quite enjoyed this chapter, in particular spoilers Sunstreaker's defeat of Devastator, Bob vs Ravage, and the surprise return of Arcee's return.

Some gripes, the Sweeps spoilers are traditionally great trackers, but somehow managed to miss a lot of the station's crew, or just didn't care about the escape pod.

I also don't recall all those Decepticons on Earth but to be honest I do need to reread the issues about their return.

If you have read the preview, this issue is incredibly short
Which is why I avoid the previews these days. They show too much of the issue.

Seems that whatever evil thingy (cant remember that dead zombie crossover crud too well) is coming to Cybertron that ol' Galvy is intent on stopping can control Cons,

It's actually the dark force (that's pretty much IDW Unicron) from the Hearts of Darkness mini-series. The Infestation crossover is actually pretty much unrelated to, well anything except for the spoilers status quo change for Kup.

i_amtrunks
22nd October 2011, 12:24 AM
I also don't recall all those Decepticons on Earth but to be honest I do need to reread the issues about their return.

Most of the cons were seena t one point or another during AHM, which is primarily when we saw who was on Earth, all were oon (or returned to) the rock/dead planet that Megatron was taken to during the ongoing.

No need for spoiler tags, since the whole point is to talk about the comics.

I figured the sweeps didnt care about survivors, they were after Kimia itself.

Agree that it is hard to tell characters apart, thankfully the constant name drops help a fair whack, the hiding of prominant features like helmets and the overal ashed out colours dont help.

Still wouldnt mind some nice a3+ versions of some of the pages though.

And whats the bet Arcee is just back to murder Jhaxus all over again? :D

Paulbot
22nd October 2011, 01:00 AM
After the Prelude to Chaos, Chaos, and Last Earth stories, I'd forgotten that there were Decepticons on Earth that Megatron had left behind when he surrendered. Did the Autobots forget them too, it never really seemed to come up. My first thought was of the stragglers from earlier in the ongoing, and seeing Shockwave I recall him helping rebuild Megatron but still don't recall him coming to Earth. I see they wanted the "big name" Cons there but since none of them show any characteristics, I'd have preferred more random choices.

Re the Sweeps, the 'fuel' bath of the first Chaos issue is a little less effective with the number of survivors, but yes they were just after the station so it kinda makes sense that they ignore escape pods (and that the Technobots had the right sort of advanced tech to cloak themselves) but I can't see why the scientist-bots are necessary for the conclusion (but they were some nice comic relief).