PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Trouble

1orion2many
5th March 2008, 10:38 PM
:(I have come to the sad conclusion that I will most probably have to throw away the bubbles on the backing cards for series like Beast Wars, Cybertron , Armada and Energon. I have limited room and storage space, I'm not 100% sure just yet as it grieves me to do this. I have spent all this time keeping my backing cards complete with bubbles. Has anyone else had to make a decision like this? If anyone has any storage suggestions so I don't have to do this please let me know.:(

Gutsman Heavy
5th March 2008, 10:51 PM
bin the bubbles, keep the art if you like it, its not like you can box em back up so ditch the plastic IMO.

STL
5th March 2008, 10:52 PM
:(I have come to the sad conclusion that I will most probably have to throw away the bubbles on the backing cards for series like Beast Wars, Cybertron , Armada and Energon. I have limited room and storage space, I'm not 100% sure just yet as it grieves me to do this. I have spent all this time keeping my backing cards complete with bubbles. Has anyone else had to make a decision like this? If anyone has any storage suggestions so I don't have to do this please let me know.:(

You're not alone, mate. I was talking about it with Paulbot and Iceburn the other day. I mean, I don't care about the boxes generally. The very few I have MISB are generally doubles that I must have. But I want to keep them in the case that I go 6 feet under and my family has some value in the estate to make back the money from my collecting.

If it were up to me, I'd personally throw them out.

I'm contemplating keeping just the boxes and folding them to conserve space so I can preserve some value. However, it's really tempting to throw a lot of it out. Stuff I'd keep is Botcon boxes, nice looking boxes and Japanese boxes b/c they're generally so much superior.

I still can't decide. At one point i figured it'd never be a problem seeing as my house is pretty huge. I had most of the garage and the cellar downstairs to myself. But I still ran out. :confused::eek: :(

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2008, 10:58 PM
I throw out most of my Hasbro packages. Just remember to recycle! :)

Paulbot
5th March 2008, 11:06 PM
I used to keep the bubbles but separated them from the packaging because then they usually stack together very well. But I got to the point like you did where they were too bulky and taking up too much space... so they went and now I just keep all the cardboard stuff (and that takes up enough space!)

Are the bubbles recycleable? There's no little Arrow symbol on the plastic so I just toss them. ???

1orion2many
5th March 2008, 11:11 PM
:(Thanks for the replies everyone, now I just have to get up the courage to do it:(.

kup
6th March 2008, 07:13 AM
I am in the same boat too. I used to place them under my bed but that space has ran out. Now I am just stacking them in the corner...

I am very careful when opening toys (even card backs) so All of them can be placed back in their packaging and still look good.

I don't know why I do that but it could be that when I was a kid, I used to play with the boxes and inserts in the sense that I used to place a toy back in it's bubble and pretend that it was frozen in 'ice' and have the other toys come and free it.

iceburn
6th March 2008, 08:40 AM
I've opened up some of my toys, kept the bubbles initially but has now gone to saving space by throwing them away and just keeping the card backings. so yeah, you won't be alone in this

i_amtrunks
6th March 2008, 09:45 AM
Ive always thrown out the bubbles, they take up too much space, crack and fade over time too.

I only keep the card backings now (used to cut them up for art and tech specs) and only keep the back of larger figures packaging (and artwork).

I have kept all my Japanese figures boxes and stuff intact, but I am already running out of room.

dirge
6th March 2008, 10:26 AM
I never keep the bubbles - they just dont add anything to my collecting "experience". I do keep insert trays sometimes, usually Takara's (not some Hasbro).

turtle boy
6th March 2008, 10:36 AM
i keep every box. i have them all put away in the shed. dad's been yelling at me to take them out, i say right. i take them out of the shed and move them into your bedroom, easy.. he then states a profanity and the discussion is over.

Zippo
6th March 2008, 07:16 PM
Im getting near the point where I need to do this as well. However, what to do with boxes is another thing.

The_Damned
6th March 2008, 08:19 PM
i use to keep all of the packaging for the doubles that i opened but it became a mountain of stuff in my roof so i decided enough was enough and through the whole lot out.kept the backing cards though.

lcz128
6th March 2008, 08:25 PM
I used to keep the bubbles... but it just ate up all my space... So now I just cut out the bubble and keep the backing :) All the best with your choice! XD

Pipesqueak
6th March 2008, 08:53 PM
I only keep backing cards and I'm seriously considering ditching them too. They only get stuffed into plastic bags and dumped in a cupboard where they're never looked at anyway.

Tiby
7th March 2008, 12:17 AM
I keep the backing cards and paperwork, all catalogued, but I throw out the insert bubbles. I have been keeping some of the outside bubbles (movie line etc) but I through away box inserts and flatten the boxes, with a few exceptions.

Regarding recycling - I say recycle them all and let the depot sort 'em out!

hound
7th March 2008, 01:14 AM
What about boxes guys? Do you fold them up and throw away the inserts? I still keep the bubbles and boxes but there will come a time to get rid of them to conserve space.

1orion2many
7th March 2008, 09:16 AM
:)I have got rid of most of my inserts for my G1 boxes so they fold down nice and flat in storage containers. I do keep the foam inserts I might add with their boxes in tact.:D

STL
7th March 2008, 10:30 AM
I never do that for G1 stuff. Gotta keep inserts. I may go back and rip out energon and armada inserts though. Maybe Cybertron too.

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2008, 12:28 PM
What about boxes guys?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers%20Collection/collection43.jpg

1orion2many
31st March 2008, 11:27 PM
:eek:6 large green bin bags so far in Bubble town and I have only just started on RID:eek:.

jaydisc
1st April 2008, 10:48 AM
You should consider ebaying your bubbles. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Is certainly better than sticking them in a landfill.

I'm lucky as I'm a n00b (not that many boxes) and I live in a 3 bedroom house with my partner and child of which the 3rd bedroom is my office/toy room, so I still have plenty of space and thus keep everything.

Where I am, you have once been. Where you are, I will one day be

SofaMan
6th April 2008, 10:32 AM
I've always discarded the bubbles and kept the backing cards. I used to keep boxes intact, but that ended up taking too much room, so I discard the inserts and flatten the boxes, and now they take up about a quarter of the room they did before.

I do make exceptions for very nice boxes though (usually Japanese). :)

liegeprime
6th April 2008, 12:40 PM
I throw boxes away generally except when it strikes my fancy ( quite a few only). I usually keep the transforming instructions, mini comics (energon & armada) - one sample per story, any trading card. The rest i just throw away especially if its like the boxes of Energon Unicron, Cybertron series, and them bubble plastic from the new series. Too much clutter for my lazy ass to clean later so get rid of it as quickly as possible - in recycling bin