PDA

View Full Version : Alternity Bumblebee/Cliffjumper comments

kurdt_the_goat
9th December 2009, 12:19 AM
Just received mine today, anyone else?

First impressions are very solid - the car mode is probably the best of Alternity so far - 5 doors + bonnet all open, engine detail, 4 seats! He is positively tiny, which makes all the above more impressive. But, he's so small, it's hard to even see the back seats! Same as my Megatron (at least), his front doors don't quite close with as much solidity as Convoy's did unfortunately.

Transformation is simple in concept, but intricately done - and everything locks nicely. The legs had me confounded with so many folding (tight!) joints, but when you get it, they look really solid. The "Synchro-Tech" part this time is thankfully different to Convoy & Megatron - pushing his windshield into the front seat area extends his legs down and out through some mechanism you can't even see - very, very clever!

Robot mode looks great too. I feel the chest size has been blown out of proportion thanks to some unflattering photography or something - in person it seems proportional and typical of Bumblebee. His head is sculpted nicely and his horns are like Universe/Henkei Sunstreaker, excepting you manually expand them this time. I think i'm particularly partial to his design since i'm a fan of the BT Tracks style wheel-shoulders!

The guns look suitable (perhaps not for Cliffy!) and store in both modes. In car mode it's particularly impressive since once clipped into place, they provide a tab to hold the engine block in place too, which feels so nice compared to fumbling with BT engine blocks!

Hoping to get photos of mine in here later this week!

valkyrie_76
9th December 2009, 06:47 AM
How much did it cost? I wouldnt mind buying the BB Alternity version.

kurdt_the_goat
9th December 2009, 11:15 AM
My inlaws in Japan shipped me this one, so it was around $50 all up. RK has them for US41.90 each.

liegeprime
10th December 2009, 07:30 AM
wow that cheaper than how we got it pre ordered. Is there a lot of metal in this one. I remember seeing Alternity Megs in a Parra fair post meet and, well, there seem to be a lot of plastic and less metal than I expected...this will go great with my Alts... Im getting CJ as well but prolly wont see it til Feb:(

lcz128
10th December 2009, 07:49 AM
Hrmm... I have opened my Bumble, as the Cliff is going to the missus first (chrissie present) (she also managed to transform Bumble last night! So looking good!)

:D

but yeah - while totally in scale with the other two alternities already released, it was a tad bizarre that when transformed, bumble is a bit out of scale next to optimus (of alternity anyway) probably will fit right in on your classics shelf - but for me, that spot's already going to another WIP custom bumblebee - oh what to do - what to do... XD

I do like the transformation a lot - the legs involve a lot of unfolding and clicking to get things in the right spot - good to have reference the first time you do it so you know where things are 'supposed' to go! I love the mechanism that gets the legs pulled out and the engine compartment and windshield pulled in - that's som clever engineering there - and while he seems 'fat' he just feels stout and tough! I imagine it'll work even better with ol Cliff! Just need to feed the boy some big weapons and we're good! :D

The horns are a nice touch as well - i didn't think I'd like the head much, but it's very satisfying to finish transforming him then adjust the horns in place. :D Beautiful light piping as well this time as there is no engine block on the back of the head.

My only real disappointment with Bumble is that the yellow is more of a lemon yellow than a deeper, richer, brighter - say, maccas yellow that I see (at least I think I see) on the actual cars. That said, the paint matching is top-notch and nothing looks wrongly mismatched paint-wise! :D Great job TT!

Ah. And a slightly amusing observation:
Alternity convoy had his engine become his head - y'know - like the brain and the thing that 'powers' him ... bumble/cliff ... it's their crotch... I wonder what the Japanese designer was alluding to :b

kurdt_the_goat
10th December 2009, 11:25 AM
wow that cheaper than how we got it pre ordered. Is there a lot of metal in this one. I remember seeing Alternity Megs in a Parra fair post meet and, well, there seem to be a lot of plastic and less metal than I expected...this will go great with my Alts... Im getting CJ as well but prolly wont see it til Feb:(

I'm at work now, but i think there's more metal than Megatron - the inner frame of the back of the car at least.

liegeprime
10th December 2009, 12:43 PM
Ah. And a slightly amusing observation:
Alternity convoy had his engine become his head - y'know - like the brain and the thing that 'powers' him ... bumble/cliff ... it's their crotch... I wonder what the Japanese designer was alluding to :b

Chicks dig the Bee. :D:D
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/SDF%20drawings/1675-ArceeBumblebeeChromiaElita_One.jpg

kurdt_the_goat
11th December 2009, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately, I still haven't had time to do Bumblebee photographic justice (I want to compare him with many versions plus some BT and Car Robots).

The size is really impressing me though - he's almost exactly the same size as X-Brawn for instance, but X-Brawn has only 2 doors & the hood that can open, no seats, no dash, arms and legs piling up on the insides... Not to say X-Brawn is bad, but Bumblebee shows great advancement (thanks a little to extra budget too).

I'm really hoping they announce the next Alternity soon, but i'm not sure who'd they'd have in mind... Perhaps Ironhide? He skipped BT and since he's in the movies... Fingers crossed :)

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2009, 07:42 PM
Chicks dig the Bee. :D:D
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/SDF%20drawings/1675-ArceeBumblebeeChromiaElita_One.jpg

Tiger Woods'd! Mine came in today but it's still at kup's house (I piggybacked on a group order through him) :)

gamblor916
11th December 2009, 07:47 PM
Just received mine today and I quite like the look of them. Car mode is nice, a great representation of a Swift and robot mode is also very good with a solid stance. The proportions are good despite what some may say about the large chest. The way the blasters stow away and the flip out horns on 'bee are nice little touches.
The only thing I dislike would be the shade of red used for Cliffjumper. I would have preferred a bright solid red closer to the 1:1 rather than the dark metallic red used. I already have chips in the paint too so I think I see a repaint in the future with a Suzuki colour :D

liegeprime
11th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Tiger Woods'd! Mine came in today but it's still at kup's house (I piggybacked on a group order through him) :)

Same, Im getting it next year :eek::D. Coz I'll be on holidays til January, so its at the next Parramatta fair prolly.

Gamblor if mine chips as well, can I commision a repaint hehehe :)?

gamblor916
11th December 2009, 08:45 PM
Same, Im getting it next year :eek::D. Coz I'll be on holidays til January, so its at the next Parramatta fair prolly.

Gamblor if mine chips as well, can I commision a repaint hehehe :)?

If I paint mine :D

kup
11th December 2009, 10:53 PM
My Photo Gallery and Comments Here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6363)

sifun
12th December 2009, 09:38 AM
does it have a lot of diecast compared to alternity megatron?

Stompy
21st December 2009, 10:06 PM
Well I finally got my Bumblebee and I do like it a lot. although the automorph thing didn't work for me. The dashboard of the car folded down rather than over the seat and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pull the legs out and the windshieldgo inwards. Thank goodness for the doors to be able to see whats going on. Fixed it up and it just slided in.

The leg joints were too tight tho. I just couldn't figure out whether it was meant to fold out or not. I was scared I was going to snap off the car panels.when doing so. I like tight joints but not ones that felt like it was glued together.

The car mode is pretty amazing. All 5 doors plus the bonnett all open with a decent interior and still have the gimmick. The bot mode isn't too bad. The "fat" torso isn't as bad in person but it still fatty looking. the legs are too thin for my liking and the arms a tad weedy. Also the arms are positioned back behind the head which only exagerates his wide plumpy torso.

It's still a winner tho and look forward to future molds in the line.

Grievous
28th January 2010, 04:10 PM
Mine just arrived today and I have to say...he is just amazing.
:eek:

All the photos and video reviews can't really do this Bumblebee justice...
Everything about him is just...well...perfect.

I was actually kinda shocked when I opened the box from China
and saw how small he was...I don't know why...but I expected him
to be bigger...but really...his size also adds to his character...I
mean it is Bumblebee after all.

I'm so impressed that Cliffjumper will also soon be added to my collection.

I'd give Alternity Bumblebee a 9 Out 0f 10

Pick him up!
;)