PDA

View Full Version : DVD Players

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2007, 05:51 PM
I'm looking for a new DVD player but I need to get one that I can region hack via the remote control. I bought a Sony DVP-NS57P today and I tried to Google for a hack code but after lots of searching I was unable to find anything. I haven't opened the box or anything, so I should be able to take it back and refund/exchange it...

Does anyone have any suggestions on which model/players are good for region hacking? (cos otherwise my Region 2 Metrodome G1 Takara Collection DVDs are gonna get useless real soon :p)

Someone recommended the Pioneer DV300S (apparently it's multi region by default) - but I need confirmation.

What do you guys recommend?

dirge
31st December 2007, 05:58 PM
Sony tends to make their machines difficult to crack. Try Philips (:

kup
31st December 2007, 10:17 PM
The worse thing you can buy is a Sony DVD player. I have found that the best hassle free players are actually the cheapo $50-$100 ones.

I have a Magnavox and a cheap TEAC DVD players and their region codes were easilly found. If you wish to persist with your Sony player I will see if I can find the region code somwhere for you.

Edit:

See if this helps:

http://www.auspaytv.com/sony/Sony_DVP_NC615.txt

Also are you sure its not Region free already? It is commonly advertised as region free on the Net.
________
T350 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_T350)

GoktimusPrime
1st January 2008, 02:31 AM
Yeah, it's labelled as Region 4 on the box one of the staff at the store confirmed for me that it is pre-locked Region 4. I haven't even broken the sticky tape on the box yet, so it's still MISB which means I will be able to refund/exchange it no probs. I might go for a Philips or TEAC.

GoktimusPrime
2nd January 2008, 10:38 PM
Graargh! I refunded my Sony and picked up a Soniq QDP550B (QT550B) because one of the staff members there recommended it to me saying that it's default set to Region 0... I came back and tried a Region 1 disc in it and it didn't work! Graargh!

Could someone please recommend a specific model (not just make) of a DVD player that you know can be region hacked (preferably one that you've hacked yourself) and please give me the code to hack it?!?!? Because I've opened this player I'm not entirely sure if I can get a refund for it now... the box wasn't taped (sealed) so tomorrow morning I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask for the password and if they can't help me then I'm going to repackage the player and try to get a refund or exchange... I'm thinking about getting an LG because I've previously been able to hack LG DVD players. I used to own an LG DVD player and I was able to hack it and I've also successfully hacked two other LG DVD players at school - all using the same code. I just hope that current models still accept the same code.

Trailer Park Ninja
3rd January 2008, 12:00 AM
Region locking DVD players is a violation of the Trade Practices Act according to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. Therefore, DVD players sold in Australia should be multi region. If the region code is not supplied with the DVD player, contact the support help line to obtain the code. http://www.soniqav.com/contact.html

dirge
3rd January 2008, 07:30 AM
Try some of the Soniq codes listed here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=soniq&hits=50&Search=Search

GoktimusPrime
3rd January 2008, 10:43 AM
That code didn't work. I called Soniq's tech support today and got the right code though, so it's working now. :)

Trailer Park Ninja
3rd January 2008, 11:31 AM
Nice to see a happy ending

gamblor916
4th January 2008, 12:59 PM
Of all the DVD players I've used the Pioneer ones tend to be the least hassle to use. Region free and super reliable I've found. I recently bought a new one for around $200 which comes with a usb port which comes in handy sometimes.
I don't know about the Soniq player but I have a digital receiver made by them and it's a POS. My 2 cents.

Saintly
4th January 2008, 01:53 PM
I recently just bought an Olin Portable player (with a 7" screen) from officeworks which was multi-region as well as divx compatible. Took it on the car trip to Melb before christmas and up till now, it's still running :)

It also comes with the necessary cables (audio as well) to hook it up to the TV and a remote.

It cost me $129 I think.

Trailer Park Ninja
4th January 2008, 02:05 PM
I've got a Panasonic DVD player which I've hadfor yonks now. Never had a hassle with it and it is region unlocked. I specifically was after a region free DVD player to play imported DVD's and that is what I demanded from my salesperson. Panasonic themselves provided a 1 button remote to unlock the thing which they sent me. Only have to use it once and no dramas since. None of this scouring the net for region unlock codes garbage.

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2008, 02:44 PM
I found out that my Soniq doesn't convert 5.1 to 2ch... so now I think I'm gonna need to by an amp and more speakers and finally force myself to set up some rudimentary home theatre. Graaargh... more spendage. :/

Borgeman
4th January 2008, 03:46 PM
dude, you can find cheap speaker sets anywhere, and it also help to do a bit of reading so you know what you're buying ;)

George

Saintly
4th January 2008, 03:51 PM
Totally agree... but you wouldn't buy cheap speakers so cheap that they would break next week

Borgeman
4th January 2008, 08:29 PM
hows this - logitech 5.1ch speakers for $99?

George

Magnus
31st May 2018, 03:46 PM
(eight-year thread necro)

For anyone who's interested, if you have a Panasonic BD player that's region-locked, you can have it unlocked at an authorised service centre. (http://eng-au.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21522/kw/region%20unlock/p/1638/related/1) Mine was within warranty, but the service centre told me that they'll do it for free as long as you have the receipt, irrespective of age.

I don't know about other brands, but it might be worth investigating to see if they can do something similar.

UltraMarginal
31st May 2018, 05:08 PM
(eight-year thread necro)

For anyone who's interested, if you have a Panasonic BD player that's region-locked, you can have it unlocked at an authorised service centre. (http://eng-au.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21522/kw/region%20unlock/p/1638/related/1) Mine was within warranty, but the service centre told me that they'll do it for free as long as you have the receipt, irrespective of age.

I don't know about other brands, but it might be worth investigating to see if they can do something similar.

which centre, I haven't bothered getting ours done simply because I only found out about it just after the year was up.

Magnus
31st May 2018, 05:44 PM
which centre, I haven't bothered getting ours done simply because I only found out about it just after the year was up.

When I called Panasonic, they offered me the choice of two service centres in Sydney: one at Miranda and one at Seven Hills. (https://www.tecworks.net.au/) I chose Seven Hills.

My understanding was that you won't necessarily need a service number from Panasonic, but check with them anyway.

UltraMarginal
31st May 2018, 06:41 PM
When I called Panasonic, they offered me the choice of two service centres in Sydney: one at Miranda and one at Seven Hills. (https://www.tecworks.net.au/) I chose Seven Hills.

My understanding was that you won't necessarily need a service number from Panasonic, but check with them anyway.

cool thanks, I've got a few region A/1 discs I'd like to watch.

Magnus
31st May 2018, 09:42 PM
cool thanks, I've got a few region A/1 discs I'd like to watch.

Sorry, I should have clarified; it's only DVD region unlocking that's done. I was told it wasn't possible to do BD region unlocking.

UltraMarginal
1st June 2018, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I should have clarified; it's only DVD region unlocking that's done. I was told it wasn't possible to do BD region unlocking.

oh, bummer, thanks anyway.

tron07
7th June 2018, 05:21 PM
China brand DVD players are usually not region locked... I suppose its the same with their BD players