PDA

View Full Version : Airachnid

SilverDragon
19th December 2009, 09:26 PM
Hasbro has trademarked a new name-AIRACHNID. (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/283786-new-hasbro-trademark.html)

What could this be? A new character is the most likely option, but it could also be a specific class of TF or something.

I like the triple-changing helicopter/spider idea in the thread.

Maybe this is in the new series.

MV75
19th December 2009, 09:42 PM
Probably a scout sized flying thing that turns into a spider for recon/infiltration.

Tabias Prime
19th December 2009, 10:54 PM
a flying spider...:D possible beast wars series..

MV75
19th December 2009, 11:03 PM
Nah, just a transforming spidey-chopper (spiderman) like those old hotwheels styled toys with the web as the rotor blades.

Starscream212
20th December 2009, 12:11 AM
Its the return of Beast Wars!

Firestorm
20th December 2009, 01:25 AM
Please be new beast wars please be new beast wars please be new beast wars ....
but in all seriousness it's probably a character from the new cartoon series that is either A) a spider with wings that transforms into a robot (FUZOR) B) a tripple changer fly spider robot or C) it's a drone scout thing like those little insect guys from ROTF
hmmm will it be organic (beast wars) Techno-organic (Beast machines/ Animated) or completly robotic (Like G1 and ROTF Ravage)
although that flying spider base thing that someone in that thread mentioned sounds kinda cool (i can just see tarantulus and blackarachnia laughing maniacally as they shoot down all the maximals, and waspinator
my main guess is the drone thing
still hoping it's a new beast wars series character for a new beast wars series

GoktimusPrime
20th December 2009, 09:56 AM
I'd like to see a realistic beast mode... we haven't had a realistic beast moded Transformer in a long time. Robotic/cybernetic beast modes =/= robots in disguise. :/

I think this name is rather lame, but I'm used to lame names being assigned to Beast TFs
e.g.
"Cheetor" the cheetah
"Rhinox" the rhino
"Waspinator" the wasp
"K-9" the Doctor's faithful robotic dog
"Tarantulas" the tarantula (that's not a name, it's a plural!)
"Dinobot" the dinosaur who transforms into a robot but isn't a subgroup
"Insecticon" guess what he is?
...all incredibly LAME names. As much as I really love Beast Wars, it had some pret-ty poor names.

Could you imagine if we had such lame names in G1? We'd have:
Bumblebee = Volks
Starscream = Fi-Tor
Whirl = Cop-Tur
Wreck Gar = Cy-Kill
Beachcomber = Buggy Man
Astrotrain = Loco Spacey
That's right! :D

MV75
20th December 2009, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see a realistic beast mode... we haven't had a realistic beast moded Transformer in a long time. Robotic/cybernetic beast modes =/= robots in disguise. :/

Funny how I see universe cheetor at my local Toyworld...... Saw it last week in fact. :p

A virus? Oh wait, Insecticon is what you said.

GoktimusPrime
20th December 2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah alright, Universe Cheetor and Dinobot do have realistic beast modes. Although technically Dinobot isn't a realistic velociraptor, but neither was the original BW Dinobot either. Both are more based on the inaccurate image of the velociraptor as seen in Jurassic Park (which some people argue more closely (but still inaccurately) resembles a Deinonychus). Mutant Beast Razorclaw has a more accurate elongated snout and shorter stance, but still no feathers. What the pluck is up with that, eh? ;D

Gutsman Heavy
20th December 2009, 10:11 PM
in JPs defence at the time it was written the Deinonychus was known as Velociraptor antirrhopus. But they didn't correct it for the film, fair enough since Velociraptor is a cooler name.

hmm that was kinda off topic.

So a new Spider-man TF?

SMHFConvoy
21st December 2009, 02:58 PM
Astrotrain = Loco Spacey

Dude, that name deserves to be made into a toy! :)

Verno
21st December 2009, 03:42 PM
Whats all this Beast Wars talk? Beast Wars is like The Matrix. It comes along and light the darkest hour of Transformers, re-energises the market. I hardly think Transformers has quite reached those depths again.

1orion2many
21st December 2009, 03:46 PM
Whats all this Beast Wars talk? Beast Wars is like The Matrix. It comes along and light the darkest hour of Transformers, re-energises the market. I hardly think Transformers has quite reached those depths again.

After ROTF I think it has:p:D

Paulbot
21st December 2009, 04:35 PM
I keep seeing this thread and thinking it sounds like an Animorphs character.

Animorphs 10th Anniversary line anyone?

SilverDragon
21st December 2009, 09:08 PM
I keep seeing this thread and thinking it sounds like an Animorphs character.

Animorphs 10th Anniversary line anyone?

Nah, Animorphs tended to go with names that weren't word mashups. Well, the books did.

MV75
21st December 2009, 09:10 PM
What? No word mashups like, well, I dunno, animorphs? :D

Tommy K
21st December 2009, 09:28 PM

I think this name is rather lame, but I'm used to lame names being assigned to Beast TFs
e.g.
"Cheetor" the cheetah
"Rhinox" the rhino
"Waspinator" the wasp
...all incredibly LAME names. As much as I really love Beast Wars, it had some pret-ty poor names.

Bumblebee = Volks
Starscream = Fi-Tor
Whirl = Cop-Tur
Wreck Gar = Cy-Kill
Beachcomber = Buggy Man
Astrotrain = Loco Spacey

wait hold on, are you saying if the writers of beast wars had their hands on g1 they would of called

optimus- truckacon

ironhide - bustron

grimlock - t-rox

blitzwing- tank-jetor

soundwave- cassetinator

megatron - blasty? :0
lmao "all hail blasty"

something we should also remember is that as time went on the names got better

inferno (still in the fire antthing but quite awesome)

rampage ( that has nothing to do with a crab)

transmutate ( well that one was, ehhhhhh interesting)

DEPTH CHARGE ( come on, you can get chicks with a name like that)

its was just hasbros naming ideas that were the problem, plus their names cybertron modes were completely different, rattrap was still a demolition experto n cybertron, thus the name.

Starscream212
21st December 2009, 10:14 PM
The Names where ok in my opionion but like kuzzy said they got better as the show went on

Lord_Zed
21st December 2009, 10:34 PM

e.g.
"Cheetor" the cheetah
"Rhinox" the rhino
"Waspinator" the wasp

Bumblebee = Volks
Starscream = Fi-Tor
Whirl = Cop-Tur
Wreck Gar = Cy-Kill
Beachcomber = Buggy Man
Astrotrain = Loco Spacey

Well G1 was just lucky enough to get names form a Marvel comics writter rather than some toy company marketing guy. But don't worry Hasbro are trying to retcon TF names to bring them more in line with Beast Wars and Gobots, Universe Tankor anyone?:p

Autocon
21st December 2009, 10:35 PM
jawbreaker:cool:

GoktimusPrime
22nd December 2009, 09:11 AM
Yes I know all that and I wouldn't deny it for a second. But you gotta admit, it had some odd names. As much as I love Dinobot, I was initially horrified by his name. Ditto Insecticon... the use of sub-group names for individuals didn't gel well with me. As I'm sure you remember Beast Wars copped some flak from fans when it first came out (as often happens with new things), but I liked Beast Wars... but I didn't like some of the names.

As Lord_Zed said, prior to Beast Wars Transformer names were devised by Marvel comic writers, so when Beast Wars came along it was a bit of a rude shock being exposed to names like Cheetor, Cicadacon and B'Boom after having gotten used to Marvel-style names for the past 11 years. Not all the Beast Wars names sucked, there were some good ones like Airazor, Depth Charge (as mentioned by kuzzy), Razorbeast, Sky Shadow etc. But what I was saying is that a name like "Airachnid" reminds me of those suckier BW names.

grimlock - t-rox
T-Wrecks (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/T-Wrecks)

blitzwing- tank-jetor
T (http://www.tfu.info/2000/Vehicon/Tankor/tankor.htm)a (http://www.tfu.info/2005/Vehicon/Tankor/tankor.htm)n (http://www.tfu.info/2005/Autobot/KBTankor/tankor.htm)k (http://www.tfu.info/2005/Autobot/Tankor/tankor.htm)o (http://www.tfu.info/2009/Decepticon/LegTankor/tankor.htm)r (http://www.tfu.info/2008/Decepticon/TFUTankor/tankor.htm)

something we should also remember is that as time went on the names got better

inferno (still in the fire antthing but quite awesome)

rampage ( that has nothing to do with a crab)
btw kuzzy, any reason why your posts are in double space? Anyway, "Inferno" and "Rampage" were names devised by Marvel during the 1980s for G1. Hasbro simply recycled them for Beast Wars. They recycled them well, but the fact remains that they didn't devise those names.

its was just hasbros naming ideas that were the problem, plus their names cybertron modes were completely different, rattrap was still a demolition experto n cybertron, thus the name.
Erm... their Cybertronian modes have nothing to do with how Hasbro would name them. Hasbro/Takara makes the toys then they come up with a name for that toy (product) as part of its marketing appeal. e.g.: Here's a robot that transforms into a rat. So let's call him Rattrap. Here's a robot that transforms into a tiger. Let's call him Tigertron, no wait, Tigatron! (but later on we'll call him Tigerhawk, just for laughs!)

The Names where ok in my opionion but like kuzzy said they got better as the show went on
It's true that we saw a decreasing proportion of sucky names as the Beast Wars series progressed, although the show has nothing to do with it. Hasbro creates the names for the toys then the show is created to help market these toys. By time the show is even in its conceptual stage the characters, names etc. have already been decided by Hasbro based on the existing toys.

SMHFConvoy
22nd December 2009, 08:17 PM
Don't forget guys that the Beast Wars characters were produced by Kenner before that company was assimilated by it's parent company, Hasbro.

That could be why the initial BW guys had not so imaginative names...

kup
23rd December 2009, 12:22 AM
Don't forget guys that the Beast Wars characters were produced by Kenner before that company was assimilated by it's parent company, Hasbro.

That could be why the initial BW guys had not so imaginative names...

yeah but that still doesn't change that most of the original G1 names were created by real comic book writers (Bob Budiansky to be more exact) and that modern day Hasbro still makes stupid names when it wants to create a new character or make up for a name which they have lost the rights to.

Tommy K
23rd December 2009, 11:52 AM
Erm... their Cybertronian modes have nothing to do with how Hasbro would name them. Hasbro/Takara makes the toys then they come up with a name for that toy (product) as part of its marketing appeal. e.g.: Here's a robot that transforms into a rat. So let's call him Rattrap. Here's a robot that transforms into a tiger. Let's call him Tigertron, no wait, Tigatron! (but later on we'll call him Tigerhawk, just for laughs!)

no what i ment is, even though we all know that hasbro gave them the sucky names, namely because
1. they are for kids
1.1 kids dont know better ( ever heard of ben 10? (comeo n you could call it something completely better!))
2. it was the cheasy 90's!
3. hasbro wasnt bothered with giving them good names(like you said my dear gok)

but moving on, if we think about this, if lets say the transformers did have those names before they came to earth, then that means that the beast modes would have been chosen because of their names, you wouldnt have rattrap as a rhino, or waspinator as a tarantula

though i do think rhinox or cheetor should deserve something better, like armour-hide, or yellow-lightning (yeah i know i know dont quit my day job lol

roller
31st December 2009, 06:38 PM
waspinators pre earth name was punginator