PDA

View Full Version : Botcon

orionpax1
29th December 2009, 05:22 PM
Hey guys just a couple of questions RE: Botcon. ( I finally have the chance to go to one).

1. to get into the convention there is general admission that you pay when you rock up at the door but what is the pre-registraion about and is it worth getting?
2. Is it worth it to join up to the transformer club?
3. Is it worth it going for the whole four days? ( i know a couple of other guys that want to go so iam just asking for them)
4. When do things need to be paid by for eg: registration, bookings?

Just a few questions if answered would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Demonac
30th December 2009, 09:08 PM
Here is a brief rundown.

1. If you are going to Botcon from long distance, then pre-reg is a must.
You are able to do everything, and not be in the long queue.
I didn't take a pic, but the queue on Sunday morning for general admission was INSANE.

2. No. Even going to Botcon, it costs more to join up than you save on your pre-reg.

3. If you want to go for more than just Botcon, add Wednesday & Thursday as they run tours of the area. I don't feel it is worth an international flight just for Botcon, so if you can, make a holiday of it.

4. Pre-reg, they take your $$ as soon as they can.

Hope that helps.

Paulbot
31st December 2009, 10:16 PM
If you have friends thinking of going too they might only want to go one day. Depends on how must Transformers fandom they can take. If they're not really into TFs one day is probably going to be more than enough for them. They can get a good feel for BotCon in just one day but if you're going all that way you might want to go more days. The first full day would be the best one to go to if they are just going to one.

griffin
1st January 2010, 01:25 AM
Hey guys just a couple of questions RE: Botcon. ( I finally have the chance to go to one).

1. to get into the convention there is general admission that you pay when you rock up at the door but what is the pre-registraion about and is it worth getting?
2. Is it worth it to join up to the transformer club?
3. Is it worth it going for the whole four days? ( i know a couple of other guys that want to go so iam just asking for them)
4. When do things need to be paid by for eg: registration, bookings?

Just a few questions if answered would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Here is a brief rundown.

1. If you are going to Botcon from long distance, then pre-reg is a must.
You are able to do everything, and not be in the long queue.
I didn't take a pic, but the queue on Sunday morning for general admission was INSANE.

2. No. Even going to Botcon, it costs more to join up than you save on your pre-reg.

3. If you want to go for more than just Botcon, add Wednesday & Thursday as they run tours of the area. I don't feel it is worth an international flight just for Botcon, so if you can, make a holiday of it.

4. Pre-reg, they take your $$ as soon as they can.

Hope that helps.

Would have seen this earlier, but have had limited net access in the last week.

1&3 - Pretty much what Demonac said. Day-passes are really for those from the local area, who aren't a big enough fan to want access to everything. Pre-registration packages cover extra events that day-passes do not, and those who travel long distance, solely or primarily to attend the convention, would be more inclined to do as much as possible.
Also, pre-registration gets you access to exclusive, limited-edition toys, that usually have a resale value, equal or more than what the entire pre-registration package costs. Most dealers sell their exclusive toys at the price of the entire package, without taking into account that the convention itself and all the other features are part of that package price as well. But that's beside the point...
Basically, if you are planning to go, reguardless of how long you spend at the convention itself, it is best to register for the full package, and decide later what you want to do (and if you want to keep the toys or sell them off to make back what you spent).
For a guide on what to expect with packages and prices, check out the ones from last year here (http://www.botcon.com/BotCon09/).

2 - That really depends on what you want from it, or how much you value its features. The cost of joining as a non-American is a lot more than Americans pay (about twice as much) - but if you intend to utilise all its features (Members annual toy, the bi-monthly newsletter, access to their members-only website, discounted stuff from their online store and a discount to the BotCon registration package), it's annual fee could be considered worth it. But if you are only interested in one or two elements of the Club, there might be other, cheaper alternatives to joining.
See the club features page here (http://www.transformersclub.com/shop/index.cfm?do=benefits).

4 - The 3 main, required expenses are Transportation, Accomodation, Pre-registration. The airfares part of the Transportation expense is something people should book and pay as soon as they can, to get the cheaper Economy seats (in case there aren't any sales on in the next few months). Accomodation isn't something you pay until you stay at the hotel (they put a hold on the estimated amount when you check-in, and then complete the transaction when you check-out). And pre-registration is paid soon after you send in the registration form, which is something you want to do as soon as you can after they are released, as some things may be limited on it (registration forms this year are expected in February). Other expenses (can) include food, shopping (in and out of the convention), public transport/hire-car, Passport (if you don't have one), good quality luggage, travel insurance, camera... to name a few.
Best to budget 3-5 thousand, as Airfares will be at least $2000 this year (flying all the way over to Florida - the current QANTAS sale fare is $2,600), Accomodation at the convention hotel will be about AU$170 per night (less if you share), and pre-registration can be AU$500-800 depending on what extras you select.

orionpax1
1st January 2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the information guys i really appreaciate it just thought id ask a few questions before booking reservations. I am booking the accomodation tomorrow, been wanting to go back to Orlando it is a nice city and universal studios/ disney world are awesome. Botcon here i come (getting excited already). we will be staying in the states for two weeks thats why i asked if it was worth the four days and is it same stuff everyday, not that it worries me.