PDA

View Full Version : It's official - TF2 was biggest grossing US Movie for 2009.

griffin
1st January 2010, 05:27 PM
Since Harry Potter isn't as big in America as other countries, it didn't even come close to the Transformers takings.
In North America (US and Canada), Transformers took in US$400million, while HP came in second at US$300million, helping to push their 2009 total to over US$10billion. Close third was UP, and just behind that was New Moon (still in release) and The Hangover, rounding out the top five.
TF2 now sits at number 9 on the US All Time Grossing list, and no other 2009 movie made it into the top-30 (HP was at 31).

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B901X20091210

Looks like one factor that has helped boost total takings was a 30% increase in ticket prices in the last 2 years there (we've had a significant jump in prices recently as well), which is well above inflation (close to zero over there during that time).

As for us in Australia, I could only find data up to the end of September, but looks like Harry Potter came in first at US$35million, with Transformers a close second at US$33.5million.

As expected, globally the top spot went to Harry Potter, at US$929million. This was because, like their earlier movies, HP grossed twice as much in non-US countries as it did in Nth America, while TFs only grossed an equal amount (which is why it was number 1 in America, but not globally). Same thing happened for the number two spot - with Ice Age 3 coming in at US$888million, thanks to almost US$700million coming from non-US markets (helping it leapfrog over TFs globally). Our Transformers movie came in third at US$835million, which currently puts it at number 20 in the All Time Worldwide Gross listing.
Fourth was Avatar, at US$745million, and fifth was 2012, at US$735million - both of which are still in release at the moment. And both are like Harry Potter, in that they are doing twice as well in non-US markets.

Source - Boxofficemojo website (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2009&p=.htm).

So why are four of the top five movies globally, grossing twice as much outside of America as within America? Could it be the heavy US Military presence in the Transformers Movie once again reduced its popularity in the non-US markets? If that is the reason, could we have seen TF2 pass US$1billion (based on the global figure being 3 times US gross, like the other four movies in the top five) if there was no Military Theme involved?
Maybe something Paramount and Hasbro bean-counters could think about with TF3. US$800million might seem like a lot, but if there was potential for an additional US$400million, find me one corporate fatcat who wouldn't be asking for alternative ideas...

SofaMan
2nd January 2010, 12:05 AM
It's also worth remarking that TF2 won:

Sexiest Female Star - Megan Fox
Worst Female Performance - Megan Fox (TF: RotF)
Best Action Movie - TF2: RotF
Worst Movie of the Year - TF2: RotF

It came 2nd (behind Brüno) for "Most disappointing movie of the year".

source - Inside Movies (http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/12/18/year-end-movie-poll/)

5FDP
2nd January 2010, 01:43 PM
TF2 now sits at number 9 on the US All Time Grossing list, and no other 2009 movie made it into the top-30 (HP was at 31).

It came 2nd (behind Brüno) for "Most disappointing movie of the year".

:confused:

Gutsman Heavy
2nd January 2010, 03:16 PM
Strange how the biggest money spinners suck, except Avatar which will probably decimate all of them.

SMHFConvoy
2nd January 2010, 04:07 PM
Strange how the biggest money spinners suck, except Avatar which will probably decimate all of them.

I saw that last night. It's an okay sci-fi movie. The fact that there's a story in it that you can follow makes it leagues ahead of TF2 :D

Lord_Zed
2nd January 2010, 07:12 PM
I saw that last night. It's an okay sci-fi movie. The fact that there's a story in it that you can follow makes it leagues ahead of TF2 :D

Yeah agreed, but even then the plot is simple and unoriginal, but well excecuted and comfortable. A few friends of mine saw Avatar without the 3D, and had no idea what the big deal was.

Scoring both films on plot alone, out of 5 I would give Avatar 3, and ROTF half of that. I had no idea that Harry Potter was so comparatively unpopular in America though, I guess because it's not home grown.

griffin
2nd January 2010, 08:03 PM
It's not really unpopular - most movies earn twice in non-US countries than they do in America, except TFs. Considering the anti-US military sentiment globally lately (a reason for GIJoe movie to be a global unit not a US unit), the TFs movie just did worse outside of the US than it should have.

SMHFConvoy
2nd January 2010, 08:28 PM
even then the plot is simple and unoriginal, but well excecuted and confortable.

Oh yeah without a doubt. It was a really straightforward story, what really drove it was the CG. But it's a story that's been done so many times before...

Autocon
3rd January 2010, 01:10 AM
It's not really unpopular - most movies earn twice in non-US countries than they do in America, except TFs. Considering the anti-US military sentiment globally lately (a reason for GIJoe movie to be a global unit not a US unit), the TFs movie just did worse outside of the US than it should have.

forgetting that the story sucked balls could also be a facter as to why:p

Robzy
27th January 2010, 10:42 PM
Breaking news: Well, it's official... Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, having finally beaten Titanic! Man, this film is a juggernaut! :eek:

I guess ROTF never really had a chance of being the biggest 2009 film!

griffin
28th January 2010, 01:29 AM
I think the title was for highest grossing movie during 2009, not highest grossing 2009 movie. Avatar would indeed be the highest grossing 2009 movie, but during the 2009 calendar year, TF2 earnt more than any other movie in America.

1orion2many
2nd February 2010, 12:06 PM
:)It's also been put up for one of the worst movies along with Meagan foxs acting:D

kup
2nd February 2010, 12:10 PM
:)It's also been put up for one of the worst movies along with Meagan foxs acting:D

At last, something that the movie actually deserves.

Gutsman Heavy
2nd February 2010, 02:17 PM
Razzie Nominations:

Worst Picture of 2009
Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
Worst Screenplay
Worst Director
Worst Lead Actress: Megan Fox (for both Revenge of the Fallen and Jennifer's Body)
Worst Screen Couple: Shia LeBouf and either Megan Fox or any Transformer
Worst Supporting Actress: Julie White

Bartrim
2nd February 2010, 03:59 PM
Razzie Nominations:

Worst Picture of 2009
Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
Worst Screenplay
Worst Director
Worst Lead Actress: Megan Fox (for both Revenge of the Fallen and Jennifer's Body)
Worst Screen Couple: Shia LeBouf and either Megan Fox or any Transformer
Worst Supporting Actress: Julie White

Thats a bit harsh me thinks. It wasn't the greatest movie but far from the worst.

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2010, 04:41 PM
Thats a bit harsh me thinks. It wasn't the greatest movie but far from the worst.

I didnt see as many films last year as previous years, but it was the worst film I saw all year... :D

kup
2nd February 2010, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't even call it a film in the traditional sense - It's more of a collage of strung together action and comedy sequences.

Bartrim
2nd February 2010, 05:04 PM
I didnt see as many films last year as previous years, but it was the worst film I saw all year... :D

*Cough*Dragonball Evolution *cough*:p

5FDP
2nd February 2010, 06:57 PM
There are other films that were much, much worse than ROTF, however you wouldn't hear about Halloween II being nominated for a Razzie cause if you did no one would give a crap anyway.

There's more shock and awe value in nominating a movie that made 800 million at the box office. It's the way that the Razzie's have promoted themselves by going after the big fish.

Now I'm not saying that ROTF was all it was cracked up to be, nor do I particularly care if it 'wins' a Razzie or not, but worst movie of the year... far from it.

And that's my 2 cents.

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2010, 10:21 PM
*Cough*Dragonball Evolution *cough*:p

With the budget and amount of people working on it, ROTF pips DB:E at the post. Kinda like the Street Fighter movie, no-one expected DB:E to be anything better than it was! :p