PDA

View Full Version : Perth or Brisbane?

Zippo
2nd January 2010, 10:06 AM
I need some advice. Starting to plan my next overseas holiday and at this stage I have the following

Dunedin (NZ - home) -> Christchurch -> Sydney -> Sinagpore

Then it was the same in reverse, staying in Sydney for a few days.
However this morning I got a thinking, that maybe I could return from Singapore into either Perth or Brisbane before moving onto Sydney for a few days.

Having been in Brisbane in 2006, I can still think about where i want to stay, where I want to go and how I get there. Having never been to Perth .. I don't have any of this insight.

Flights from Singapore to Brisbane are the same as to Sydney, with a Qantas/Virgin/Jetstar flight to Sydney around the $130 range. Going to Perth would save about $50 on the Singapore flight, but cost me either $250 on Jetstar or $400 on Qantas.

Hotels for 4/5 nights are the same in Brisbane and Perth.

So, I need some help.
Best places to compare flights across the airlines
Best places to compare hotels
Attractions in both cities

Or skip the extra and focus on Sydney as the one AU stopover.

GoktimusPrime
3rd January 2010, 04:55 PM
When will you be in Sydney? We have to arrange a fan meet on at least one of those days! :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd January 2010, 05:21 PM
Theres no attractions in Perth, our state government makes sure of that!

Ace
3rd January 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi mate,
i've lived in both cities in the past year. What is your focus on the trip exactly?

Perth and brisbane are probably the most two alike cities in australia in my opinion.

Perth is nice for its beaches, the swan river and Rottnest, the only place youwill find a 'quokka'.Perth weather is nice and warm in the summer but can get pretty stormy in the winter. Perth is the best place for a 'Sunday sesh' especially down at cottesloe. It's unique because you get to see the sun set over the coast whilst relaxing and having a drink. It's descirbed as a big small town city being so far away from everything else, the problem with that is the cost it takes to get back to the eastern states.

Brissie has awesome tropical-ish style weather and has a wicked location being that you can drive an hour or two north for the sunshine coast and noosa etc. or south for the gold coast and byron bay at the top of NSW. QLD does have all the theme parks if that is what you are looking for?

Hope that can help you a little bit. Let meknow if you want any more info

Lint
4th January 2010, 03:34 PM
If you come to Perth, prepare some time to tour the surrounding regions. The city itself has very few attractions apart from the beaches. The south-west of WA has many natural attractions which are good for a few day road trip.

Best places to compare flights across the airlines:
No one-stop website or travel agency I know of that will cover ALL airlines but www.studentflights.com.au is pretty good but keep tabs on Virgin Blue, Tiger Airways, Air Asia and Jetstar.
Best places to compare hotels:
Just type in 'name of city' and hotels in google. Most of the australian hotel finder websites are pretty good and equivalent in services

Or skip the extra and focus on Sydney as the one AU stopover.
Might not be a bad idea

1orion2many
4th January 2010, 03:39 PM
:confused:It really does depend what you are looking for Zippo, Perth is pretty laid back and relaxed in general, If you like Catamarans, Paragliding, Helicopter rides and numerous other water orientated things. Roughly when are you looking at, also if you come in summer expect heat and lots of it lol.
All of the above of course comes at a cost:rolleyes:;)

Zippo
4th January 2010, 05:57 PM
Cheers for the feedback so far.
I have modified my plans somewhat since first posting and now think that I will visit Sydney before heading to Singapore and then come back via Brisbane as its all the same cost.

Nothing is set in stone though ... It's going to be a bit of a savings struggle to save what I need to save in the time I have.

Bartrim
4th January 2010, 08:16 PM
Come down to Ulladulla... there is so much to see down here:p

Zippo
11th January 2010, 06:18 PM
Right, after thinking about it, I am falling back to my orginal plan and going with Sydney as my Australian destination of choice.

So, expect threads in the upcoming months, asking where to find things and what to do over in Sydney.

The_Damned
11th January 2010, 07:30 PM
he he while you are in ulladulla you can then make the short trip to the tourist mecca of Batemans Bay. :)

Hereticpoo
11th January 2010, 07:41 PM
If you like being bored out of your skull visit Perth.

Kyle
12th January 2010, 01:31 AM
If you like being bored out of your skull visit Perth.

+ 1... :o