Size - Voyager
New/remould/redeco - new
Wave - 2010 w1
Released here - not yet, should be by Feb 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $40
Approximate Size - 20cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Tank
Main Features/Gimmicks - Mech-Alive hidden scabbard, 2 swords.
Main Colours - Dark green, orange, black, grey.
Main Accessories - 2 swords.
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 3
Stability - Very good in both modes
Poseability/articulation - Very good
Playability - A bit fiddely to convert to Tank mode, but very playable in robot mode. Backpack is a bit big, but the swords feature was well executed. The 'fake armour' in robot mode gets in the way a little as well.
My Thoughts - I like the look of the Tank mode, and the robot mode portrays the classic Gen1 character well. The face bugs me a bit though, as I would have liked to see a proper skull face like the original. The toy doesn't quite live up to the initial hype, but comes close enough to still be a required part of everyone's collection.
Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 8.5 (Buy it)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10003b.jpg

Vector Prime
3rd January 2010, 11:11 AM
Well this is one that I eagerly anticipated when I first saw it and thought it looks awesome in both alt and robot mode.

I don't have it yet, but based on the time spent playing with one in person (at the last Parra fair meet up), I still would grab it despite the paint apps not looking as pretty as the initial promo shots.

If I remember correctly, the transformation process from his alt mode to robot is fairly straight forward with the exception of his legs/hips, which is quite fiddly and took a bit of time to figure out (without referring to the instructions) - as Kup can attest to!

Bludgeon is also a bit small for a Voyager sized toy and the plastics used for his blades/swords is quite soft so it warps easy, giving them a flaccid bent look.

Besides these points, I think overall, it is quite a nice toy and a worthwhile addition to your collection - more suitable for your Classics/Universe shelf rather than to go with the Movie toys.

IMHO, overall I think he's worth giving an 8.5/10 - minus half a point each for lack of size, cheap plastics and paint apps.

lcz128
3rd January 2010, 09:28 PM
more suitable for your Classics/Universe shelf rather than to go with the Movie toys.
Precisely why I'm getting it :D

Thanks for the reviews guys :D

griffin
4th January 2010, 01:10 PM
If I remember correctly, the transformation process from his alt mode to robot is fairly straight forward with the exception of his legs/hips, which is quite fiddly and took a bit of time to figure out (without referring to the instructions) - as Kup can attest to!

I'd have to agree that the transformation to robot mode is easier, but that's usually the case with TFs, as the alt-modes usually need everything lining-up/interlocking in an exact way. I did that review after only converting it from robot mode to tank mode, so I guess the rating was a little biased.
I've changed my difficulty rating from 3.5 to 3, as I've since come across some other figures that make bludgeon feel like an auto-changer.

Wheel-J
5th January 2010, 10:21 PM
Is there a choice that says "win it at OTCA"? :rolleyes::D

Oh YES, I'll buy it! :D

Lordy
7th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Oh yes, it will be mine :)

I might give the swords a coat of paint, get rid of the dullness of the grey plastic

fatbot
7th January 2010, 10:22 PM
i've already got him, he's pure awesomesauce

liegeprime
8th January 2010, 01:28 PM
Already got him, was my main target at the toyfair heheheh. even though I only got 2 toys I was very very pleased.:D:D:D

Grievous
15th January 2010, 12:41 PM
I personally cannot wait for this guy...

A Skeleton Samurai Tank Warrior!

What's not to like?
:cool:

Tommy K
15th January 2010, 01:49 PM
i got the toy today (thanx griffin)

may i first say dont buy this toy, my reason

SO I AM THE ONLY ONE WHOM HAS THIS TOY BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahhahahaaaaaaa

the alt mode

very detailful(if thats a word), it does resemble a chinese tank, not just a tank, thus making it that slightest bit more awesome, it the turrent looks neatfully detailed and all over looks quite fine lol i jsut cant wait for a mod pack for this thing that has flags and extra stuff for him

transformation
hard
except for the turret, i loved that part lol

robot mode
hes a little bit stubby, but he looks awesomely detailed, he has i love his skull like armour, its soo legendary, its like so sweet, he has 2 very nice swords that makes him look like hes ready to go into a rambo movie

overall
the alt mode and robot mode are both fantastic, the only thing i disliked was the transformation, he works really neat with some of my toys, not just transformers, in all i give him a

altmode
8/10

transformation
5/10

robot mode
9/10

details
9/10

possability(right now)
6/10

overall toy factor
8/10

total:
7.5/10

Grievous
15th January 2010, 01:54 PM
^Nice evil laugh...
;)

Tommy K
15th January 2010, 02:10 PM
^Nice evil laugh...
;)

well we do what we can, some of us laugh historicaly evil, others cough, grievous lol

Grievous
15th January 2010, 02:22 PM
Too many cigarettes me thinks...
:p

How is his height in robot mode?
When compared to say Voyager Ratchet or Long Haul...
:confused:

dirge
15th January 2010, 03:10 PM
kuzzy, what are you smoking?

I want some :)

DarkHyren
15th January 2010, 05:53 PM
I don't usually like the movie figures but I would consider getting this one, for the right price.
The following sums it up quite well:

the robot mode portrays the classic Gen1 character well.

more suitable for your Classics/Universe shelf rather than to go with the Movie toys.

Tommy K
15th January 2010, 06:56 PM
kuzzy, what are you smoking?

I want some :)

cygars, theyre very fashionable lol

griffin
15th January 2010, 11:14 PM
Too many cigarettes me thinks...
:p

How is his height in robot mode?
When compared to say Voyager Ratchet or Long Haul...
:confused:

Bludgeon is a more compact figure, in both modes, but if you ignore all of the back-pack kibble of Longhaul, and the simpler looking (and
detailed/engineered) Ratchet, Bludgeon is a fair sized Voyager.

http://www.otca.com.au/voy01.jpg

Grievous
16th January 2010, 04:25 AM
^Thanks for that Griffin...

You the man...
:cool:

christalcase
23rd January 2010, 02:29 PM
if u want to kno, his head is approximately a head taller than sideswipe's head (if dat makes sense, so errrrr, top of sideswipe's head is the height of his chin)

anyway he wasnt a great as I expected him to be (I guess I had too high an expectation), but he's still a great toy, only problem, I hate his soft plastic swords, da short one is alright, but the long one warps too easily, specially with da hot weather making da plastic even softer -_-, I do NOT like a bent sword

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2010, 09:40 AM
He's 17.2cm in robot mode up to the top of the head. The turret can add more to the height depending on how you position it.

The swords on mine are really soft. I've only had this toy for less than a day and the handle of the Katana is already covered with several dents from having played around with Bludgeon holding the sword (as I make his arms swing around holding the sword in the two-handed position the fingertips dig into the handle). I'm rather disappointed with how soft/frail the material is for the swords. :( I'm also not a big fan of the orange panels which are very visible in tank mode (the panels which also form his shoulders).

But otherwise I'm impressed with the toy - overall it's better than what I was expecting.

kurdt_the_goat
7th February 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure how you feel about modifying your toys, but someone at TFW2005 posted how to fix up the orange showing in tank mode (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creative-general-discussion/290429-movie-universe-classics-bludgeon-leg-modification-tutorial-guide.html).

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2010, 09:39 PM
From here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6851):

---------------

Also it is not as if G1 Bludgeon fits well with the 1984-85 G1 toys.
But he does fit in well with other G1 1989 toys, which is the era that he came from! Especially alongside other 1989 Pretenders. IMHO he's the best of the 1989 Pretenders; and that has nothing to do with the character or the way he was portrayed in G1 canon - it's because he has a nifty looking shell (despite the orange), a simple yet efficient transformation (by the standards of the day), and a really good looking alt mode as far as being a robot in disguise (Longtooth's would be the 2nd best by those standards).

A good example of 'Universe' releases that ended up as Movie were the Crankcase, Fracture (Crasher) and Big Daddy releases. It was said that the redecos were conceived for the Universe line as representations of their G1 characters (Gobots on one) but Walmart or some other store demanded more Movie toys so they were instead packaged as such.
My Big Daddy is on my movie Autobot shelf.

Given that the decision of assigning a toy to a line is more motivated by marketing or store demands rather than proper thought on where the figure best fits from a design intention and character point of view - The package that Hasbro assigns it means very little to me, specially in the last couple of years. Another example on odd line assignations and why it would be hard to be strict about where hasbro places a figure are the Animated legends which were released in Universe Packaging while the Animated line was still on the shelf. It would be very hard for a strict 'package based' collector to assign them as Universe on the shelf instead of Animated as they would look very odd with Universe.
Good point about the Universe Animated Legends.

Bludgeon appears to be a design originally intended for Classics or at least as a direct representation or 'update' of the original character - There is some art work that does suggest this. It seems that only before a hard copy was due to be made, did they decide to put it in the movie verse and added certain detailing and somewhat peripheral movie features (such as mech alive) on his limbs to make it fit better.

Aside from Bludgeon's limbs and very 'added on' mech alive features - It is a very clunkly, square and blocky toy which does go against the mouch rounder and slim organic movie designs.
I agree with this. But the end result is that Bludgeon is a "hybrid" movie-Classics/Universe toy so it's quite subjective as to which one he looks more like.

While I can see the Classics/Universe elements on this toy, according to my own personal perception he looks more like a movie toy to me. The fact that he's packaged as a ROTF toy further reinforces my reasons to categorise him as a movie toy over being a Classics toy because of the chronologically based way that I sort my toys.

If he looks more like a Classics/Universe toy to you and you therefore wish to sort him that way, then that's cool too. He's like one of those optical illusions (e.g. Rubin's Vase (http://www.cs.unm.edu/~forrest/projects/ndb/images/rubin_vase.gif)). ;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2010, 11:11 PM
I got my TT version in the post the other day. Imust say I am impressed. I think he has better face paint than hasbros. Will get some pics up after tomorrow. Floppy swords, but they are still cool and I like the way you can stick them on his waist.

Also dig the chest as it has a skull motif too. However I dont like his bio very much, they seem to have chosen a "forgotten jungle soldier" theme, even going so far as to mention south east asia. Is bludgeon a japanese WW2 vet?

Aside from my minor niggle with the bio, I likey.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th February 2010, 12:38 AM
Some pics of Tak toms bludgeon.

I like it in that he can reach across his body for his swords.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/IMG_0476.jpg

Face shot

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/IMG_0477.jpg

Chest has funky skull look to it too.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/IMG_0483.jpg\

"I have failed you Megatron!"

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/IMG_0486.jpg

The way the armour is set, and the way his face is moulded, it almost looks as if the outside is detachable. Have a look in this last shot at his eye and it almost looks like the skull is a type of helmet and another layer hides within!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/face.jpg

Extra pics here, with tanks and accessories (http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Bludgeon/)

kup
15th February 2010, 02:13 AM
Is there a difference between the Japanese and Hasbro release?

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th February 2010, 09:02 PM
Is there a difference between the Japanese and Hasbro release?

Intially I thought the face paint was a bit more subtle on TT over Hasbro, but I dont think that is the case so much anymore. From my experience between the two, TT has slightly better paint apps on the one that I have both versions, which admittedly is Ransack. The paint on the top of the wings is IMO applied more cleanly.

So, not really all that much difference

liegeprime
16th February 2010, 08:11 AM
hmmm I hoped that TT would chrome the swords, but yeah they didnt, ah well. Mebbe they'd release a "premium" repaint? hopefully

dirge
16th February 2010, 09:03 AM
hmmm I hoped that TT would chrome the swords, but yeah they didnt, ah well. Mebbe they'd release a "premium" repaint? hopefully

The swords are soft "bendy" plastic, since the long one has to bend slightly to stow. It'll be almost impossible to chrome them. Hold out for a more metallic soft paint, perhaps?

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th February 2010, 09:05 AM
The swords are soft "bendy" plastic, since the long one has to bend slightly to stow. It'll be almost impossible to chrome them. Hold out for a more metallic soft paint, perhaps?

As well as that, the swords both have scabbards, which would just scrape off the chrome. His main Katana goes into the turret in tank mode and its a pretty tight fit.

lcz128
16th February 2010, 04:02 PM
Having pulled his head apart, I can safely say there ain't another hidden layer behind the skull face. The eyes are just sculpted to look that way. They would have made for some great light piping if they actually did it. Judging from the colour (grey) there mustve beenother pieces on the same mould sprue that would have looked nice in a clear colour...

Kyle
16th February 2010, 04:06 PM
Having played with the toy now I would prefer him to have a better, longer neck.

lcz128
16th February 2010, 04:34 PM
Having played with the toy now I would prefer him to have a better, longer neck.

Heh I am actually working on that as a side project. Funny u should mention it.

Kyle
20th February 2010, 10:06 AM
Just realised his two swords can combine into a single weapon. AWESOME.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/Toy%20Review%2015%20Feb%202010/d4b9ee0b.jpg

MV75
7th March 2010, 09:45 PM
BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.

Did I say buy it?

I finally got around to freeing my bludgeon today, and man, it's been a long time since I've come across a transformer that is fun to play with.

I give it a 9/10. It loses a point due to the tank treads getting in the way in robot mode.

Plus I only noticed when putting it back to tank mode, but the little left hip "scabbard" auto pops out when moving that panel without noticing it at first. :)

It also makes one think how great universe galvatron could have been as a voyager.

kup
7th March 2010, 09:54 PM
It also makes one think how great universe galvatron could have been as a voyager.

I had a very similar thought.

MV75
7th March 2010, 10:04 PM
Oh yea, and for some reason, I dunno, but I was able to follow the japanese instructions no worries. Well, much easier than standard hasbro fare anyway.

Grievous
28th March 2010, 07:18 AM
Okay...seriously...Bludgeon is fantastic...
The design, the colors, the two swords...everyone should own this guy...

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8914/45000384.jpg

:D

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2010, 10:49 AM
Interesting to see that you've got the turret backpack closed in robot mode, cos one thing that bugs me about this toy is how easily it closes up when you're playing with it. I like to have the turret pack open in robot mode, but it just doesn't lock open well enough and keeps sliding back down during toy play. :(

Grievous
28th March 2010, 10:53 AM
Interesting to see that you've got the turret backpack closed in robot mode
I just like it closed rather than open...

griffin
28th March 2010, 12:33 PM
Interesting to see that you've got the turret backpack closed in robot mode, cos one thing that bugs me about this toy is how easily it closes up when you're playing with it. I like to have the turret pack open in robot mode, but it just doesn't lock open well enough and keeps sliding back down during toy play. :(

I like it both ways. Open, it looks a bit messy at the back, but closed can look a bit boring from the front.

klystron
29th March 2010, 03:58 PM
Hmmm, I never even considered leaving it open in 'bot mode.
I mean, he has hilt-storage for his 2 blades; what purpose does the open turret on the back serve?

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th March 2010, 04:31 PM
For when you find ANOTHER sword ;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th March 2010, 06:32 PM
For a nobori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobori)!

klystron
31st March 2010, 11:21 AM
Nice idea.
Has anyone does this yet?

Autocon
31st March 2010, 02:14 PM
i dont like the face

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st March 2010, 11:57 PM
i dont like the face
LOL
He doesn't like YOUR face!;) Just kidding, you have a beautiful face Autocon.

As for the Nobori, Just a Decepticon Insignia is a little boring. OOoo, but what if it had traditional japanese stylings....If only my Photoshopping skills weren't so poor:(

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st April 2010, 06:18 PM
Likewise on the skillz, but since the Type 90 is a Japanese tank something featuring a 'con-themed variant on the flag of the JGSDF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_JSDF.svg) with maybe the kanji for Bludgeon 棍棒, Type 90 90式戦車 or Destron デストロン would be doable.

All kanji courtesy of babelfish and/or the TF wiki, so anyone thinking of actually doing this might want to check with Goki as to their accuracy (or whether they are all kanji as opposed to hiragana or katakana, not that it makes a big difference). :)

klystron
1st April 2010, 08:33 PM
been thinking of making a nobori. i was just gonna rip-off some of the cybertronian glyphs that are scrawled all over the ROTF products. like on the v'ger starscream.
depends how much time i get this long weekend though...

VERT
2nd April 2010, 07:19 AM
I got him yesterday and I think its great. the only thing that bugs me is the rubber treads. I worry that they will crack with age. But great figure :D

GoktimusPrime
2nd April 2010, 09:22 AM
Likewise on the skillz, but since the Type 90 is a Japanese tank something featuring a 'con-themed variant on the flag of the JGSDF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_JSDF.svg) with maybe the kanji for Bludgeon 棍棒, Type 90 90式戦車 or Destron デストロン would be doable.

All kanji courtesy of babelfish and/or the TF wiki, so anyone thinking of actually doing this might want to check with Goki as to their accuracy (or whether they are all kanji as opposed to hiragana or katakana, not that it makes a big difference). :)

棍棒 (にんぼう) means a "club," as in a weapon. The Kanji 棒 (ぼう) means staff, or what is commonly called a "bo" when referring to Japanese martial arts (e.g.: Donatello's weapon in TMNT). The Kanji for "bludgeon" would be 殴 (おう).

The word "Destron" is in Katakana and all the other words you've typed are in Kanji. Well, except for "90" which is obviously in Hindu-Arabic numerals. If you want to go full Kanji you could write 九十式戦車.

Back in '98 I drew a picture of Bludgeon with a nobori that had the Decepticon insignia and デストロン written on it. I'll scan it and post it next time. :)

GoktimusPrime
2nd April 2010, 11:58 AM
Posted drawing of Bludgeon w/ nobori here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=159054) (^_^) m(__)m

Tommy K
5th April 2010, 09:35 PM
if im gunna do the flaggy things too, i think ill do them like the ones in the idw concept art with the 2 small ones instead of the 1 big one lol

Tallestblue
10th April 2010, 08:03 PM
Awww. Now I want tiny Samurai flags for my Bludgeon.

Maybe that could be something for the people who make the gears of war sets to think about?

klystron
10th April 2010, 10:49 PM
They're not too hard to make.
Theres a pic of mine in the Bludgeon Fan Art thread (Grapple's Creative section)

Stompy
13th April 2010, 10:43 PM
I finally located one and I was very impressed by this figure. It looked convincing as a tank and the bot mode is awesomurai™! The conversion was really good fun. It isn't as ridiculous as most RotF conversions which allows for good playability of back and forth conversions. The way the turret splits for the back revealing the dagger and angling the main sword in a easier to reach position. I like the hilts on the side skirt and using the treads as skirts is a brilliant idea. Articulation is ace and can manage to get decent poses even grabbing the sword two handed.

I had so much fun that I played around and took pics...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeon-Tankclose.jpg

Brilliant use of colour. Using 3 tones of green With grey, black and orange .

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeon-close.jpg

Great detail and paint apps for the head and chest.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeon-back.jpg

The back looks as good as the front with no hanging kibble besides the turret which is made useful by housing both swords.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeon-pose.jpg

This was the big test. The ability to hold the sword two handed and it was a success. poseability is restricted though when gripped by both hands due to the wrists having no rotation.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeon-pose2.jpg

Nice to have the dagger for those up close battles. This was the big test. The ability to hold the sword two handed and it was a success. poseability is restricted though when gripped by both hands due to the wrists having no rotation.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonvsShinMushaGundamclose.jpg

An enemy approaches. Crossover battle of two of my favorite robot lines (TF and Gunpla). Shin Musha Gundam approaches with his blingy self.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonvsSMGclose3.jpg

Fight is on.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonvsSMGclose2.jpg

... and on...

until ***SLASH***

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonVictory.jpg

Bludgeon gives the final blow and Shin Musha Gundam crumples to the ground. But Bludgeon ain't done yet...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonTankVictory.jpg

He is a tank too and just has to make sure.

Awesome figure. The best in a long time.

optimus1
13th April 2010, 11:06 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/RotF%20Bludgeon/small%20size/RotFBludgeonTankVictory.jpg

He is a tank too and just has to make sure.

Awesome figure. The best in a long time.

Hahahahaha! Thats classic!

I'm loving Bludgeon already :D

Great review Stompy :cool:

Vector Prime
13th April 2010, 11:12 PM
Great poses (review, storytelling & pics) there Stompy!

Yeah, the awesomurai™-ness of Bludgeon cannot be disputed! :D

It's truly the best figure in the ROTF line IMHO

GoktimusPrime
14th April 2010, 01:16 PM
heh, that last pic looks like the reversal of the JAAM! comic -- robot not hump tank, tank hump robot! :p

Anyway, I've posted some comparison pics between TakaraTOMY and Hasbro ROTF Bludgeons here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=161687&postcount=146). It's like a really frustrated game of spot the difference... cos there really isn't any. :p But hey, the pics are there in case anyone can spot something I missed. d:

Sutton
17th April 2010, 08:58 PM
It's truly the best figure in the ROTF line IMHO

Yeah, although he and Seaspray will both be going into my Classics pile (after a few simple 'G1' paint touch ups...Seaspray's head just aint yellow enough...)

SamLoi888
1st May 2010, 08:22 PM

Can anyone please help me figure the legs/hips out? The instructions are useless.

SamLoi888
2nd May 2010, 05:24 AM
Can anyone please help me figure the legs/hips out? The instructions are useless.

Please?

Soundwarp
2nd May 2010, 08:14 AM
The more i look through this thread the more i am getting convinced to get him!

1AZRAEL1
2nd May 2010, 08:25 AM
The more i look through this thread the more i am getting convinced to get him!

He is well worth it. I'd say you should buy him if you spot him. One of very few movie figures I own because he is cool.

klystron
2nd May 2010, 12:19 PM
Now he's starting to pop up at target, kmart and the like, if I see him on special I'll probably grab a second one to leave MISB. Which must say something about this figure since:
a) I am NOT a MISB collector
b) I have never ever bought a double up of any figure (except a spare G1 Grimmy I needed for parts and no longer have).

Yep, he's that good!

GoktimusPrime
2nd May 2010, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucyuj74gaiY

SharkyMcShark
2nd May 2010, 04:20 PM
I'm increasingly tempted to track this down.

I should stop reading back through my IDW stuff...

SharkyMcShark
4th May 2010, 09:19 PM
I have it and I must say that I'm not that impressed - you can tell his design predates that of most of the movies figures.

Also mine has a bad QC issue - his right hip won't snap into place (the two rectangular pegs on his body don't like up with the corresponding holes on his hip piece).

GoktimusPrime
4th May 2010, 10:01 PM
They are trying to make a green tank transform into an orange robot - which complicates things, much like a lot of Star Wars and Crossovers Transformers, but I think Bludgeon's a lot better engineered than those. RE: QC - I recommend bringing it back to the store w/ the receipt and getting an exchange, or even a refund if you're unhappy with the product and considering that it's defective.

SharkyMcShark
4th May 2010, 10:43 PM
They are trying to make a green tank transform into an orange robot - which complicates things, much like a lot of Star Wars and Crossovers Transformers, but I think Bludgeon's a lot better engineered than those. RE: QC - I recommend bringing it back to the store w/ the receipt and getting an exchange, or even a refund if you're unhappy with the product and considering that it's defective.

It's not the just the leg - the barrel of the gun (ie sword handle) is bent aswell - which I saw in the shop, but it's the last one within like 30km of where I live, and I'm not really that fussed seeing as I'm not big fan of playing with it so it's going straight on display.

The pop open scabbard for the smaller blade was quite a neat touch.

I really have far too many ROTF and TF07 Voyagers...

Re the design, I meant insofar as his torso is essentially a solid chunk of plastic, and his head is larger proportionally than most of the other movie and ROTF voyagers - it looks like a Unicron trilogy/Classics toy, which isn't a look that I'm particularly a fan of.

SilverDragon
5th May 2010, 07:46 AM
I have it and I must say that I'm not that impressed - you can tell his design predates that of most of the movies figures.

According to the TF Wiki, Don Figueroa came up with the initial design around the time of the Unicron Trilogy, although he wasn't involved with it after that.

I have a weakness for robots wielding swords, so Bludgeon will find his way into my collection one day or another. Maybe even this week if I find him.

GoktimusPrime
5th May 2010, 08:44 AM
Perhaps we're also looking at a generation gap here? I think a big thing about ROTF Bludgeon that appeals to those of us who grew up with G1 is that this is the first Bludgeon toy that not only is an 'update' of the old G1 toy, but also comes with swords -- the sword being Bludgeon's weapon of choice constantly throughout G1 canon, but the original toy never had it. So I guess if you didn't grow up with that then maybe this toy may not hold that same meaning -- that's not to say the toy has no appeal to younger fans, but I think the appeal may be different. Just my speculation. :)

the barrel of the gun (ie sword handle) is bent aswell
Yeah, I really don't like the soft material that the swords are made of. It's my biggest complaint about this toy. Even if it doesn't bend, Bludgeon's fingers dig into the handles each time he holds it -- and when you're playing with the toy, the fingers move about as they're dug into the handles, which then leaves ugly and permanent dents all along the handle. This of course means that in tank mode the barrel tip is pock-marked with those dents. :(

Re the design, I meant insofar as his torso is essentially a solid chunk of plastic,
Considering that the torso is:
1: looks like Samurai-esque armour and nothing like tank armour
2: is predominantly orange not green
...it's hard to incorporate any of that into the alt mode. But again, if you compare this with say a lot of Star Wars/Crossover Transformers which work along the same principle (e.g. Luke Skywalker/X-Wing, Commander Cody/Turbo Tank etc.), I think Bludgeon's fairly well designed. The other alternative would be to incorporate more alt mode parts into the torso (like with say movie Wreckage) -- or heck, have the toy look more like G1 Bludgeon's ROBOT (rather than his outer Pretender shell)... but clearly the design was based on having the robot look like the Pretender shell with the green tank alt mode.

Generally I'm not a fan of "forcing" robot modes to look like characters like Jedi, Superheroes etc., but in the case of Bludgeon I'm more forgiving since the character in question is a G1 Transformer. But this is probably my childhood G1 bias kicking in. ;p

and his head is larger proportionally than most of the other movie and ROTF voyagers - it looks like a Unicron trilogy/Classics toy, which isn't a look that I'm particularly a fan of.
It does make it look out of place amongst movie toys, I agree. In fact, I wish they'd just engineered this toy as a Classics/Universe mould instead of fitting it with ROTF. I know some collectors have repurposed the toy for Classics, but there's a lot of design elements that are movie-esque. Aesthetically it's like a hybrid I suppose, but officially HasTak have classified it as movieverse. It looks too movie-like to fit into Classics in my eyes.

Poor Bludgeon, too crazy for boystown but too much of a boy for crazytown. :p

I like the larger helmet though because it does make it look more samurai like. The G1 helmet was too small (in my fan art I always enlarged the kabuto (http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/img/item/L25A-0.jpg))

kurdt_the_goat
23rd May 2010, 12:14 AM
I got mine today after my longest hunt since the great search for an original BB'08! Either he's really shortpacked in Perth at the moment, or he's really popular (or both!).

I think it's an excellent figure, rounding off a pretty much flawless run of Decepticon ROTF Voyagers (forget about Demolisher:D)

I also quickly (10 mins) did the leg mod i linked earlier in this thread .. and will link it again (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/290429-movie-universe-classics-bludgeon-leg-modification-tutorial-guide.html) cause i highly recommend it. It makes for a much cleaner tank, with only one light grey wheel out of place (that could be easily painted)