PDA

View Full Version : Review 10-004a - TF2 Movie Legends Soundwave

griffin
4th January 2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.otca.com.au/tr10004a.jpg
(Soundwave is around the wrong way, but looks worse from the other direction)

Review 10-004a - Soundwave
Series - TF2 Movie
Sub-line - Legends
Size - Legends
New/remould/redeco - new
Wave - 5
Released here - December 2009
Approximate Retail Price - $8
Approximate Size - 8cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Spy satellite
Main Features/Gimmicks - none
Main Colours - Grey, black, dark blue.
Main Accessories - none
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 1.5 (not really more difficult than the others, but just confusing to know what the odd-looking alt mode is actually acheived, without looking at the packaging picture)
Stability - Fairly stable.
Poseability/articulation - Limited. Legs have no articulation at all below the hip-joint.
Playability - Not much you can do in robot mode, with such limited articulation and size-scale to other figures. Alt mode is even less playable.
My Thoughts - One of the rare occasions when the design focus is on the robot mode, sacrificing the appearance of the alt-mode. Which is unecessary, considering Soundwave never took on robot form in the Movie. The alt-mode looks completely different to the regular (Deluxe) version of this toy, and nothing like the Movie version. The Legends class is a fun novelty sub-line, so unless you colllect these cheaper versions of cast character, this toy won't interest most. The detailing on the figure is nice, in robot mode, but the overall playability, limited articulation, and weird looking alt-mode spoils this one.
Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 3 (don't buy it)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10004b.jpg

dirge
4th January 2010, 03:28 PM
I really like this toy. Sure it's simple and limited, but for the size class I'm very impressed with the satellite mode, even if there is a somewhat random panel underneath. And hey, it beats spending $20+ on an unsatisfying deluxe with two alt modes that look less like a satellite (or a ship) anyway.

optimus1
4th January 2010, 03:32 PM
I also tend to agree with Dirge here, I much prefer this version over the Deluxe sized version.

I'm also impressed with his articulation, particularly with his feet and arms (he has elbows!)

Vector Prime
4th January 2010, 06:59 PM
I picked one up today and I don't mind it actually... it has its limitations and the alt mode is kinda lame, but it doesn't look too bad displayed in robot mode.

Not the best ROTF Legends class figure, but not the worse either IMO (that dubious honour would go to Starscream)