PDA

View Full Version : KO coverage

Borgeman
8th March 2008, 12:49 AM
I dont recall a qu like this and cbf looking...

I know many people dont count a figure until it is complete, whereas others will count it if its missing a non essential piece, like a gun. Some people may also be willing to settle for a KO accessory when it is very hard to find the real thing on its own. My question is how much KO cover can a toy have while retaining a general realness to it?

I'll give some examples:

1 - G1 Mirage missing only the gun - is it ok to replace with the KO gun and never really look again?

2 - G1 Metroplex missing both fists - could i use fists off the KO metroplex?

3 - G1 Prime missing some rubber wheels - could i replace them with some off a KO version?

I know this depends on who you are and how much you care, but i guess look at this from a purists point of view....

George

turtle boy
8th March 2008, 01:10 AM
I would say that, using all the things you just stated would be ok. Tires and guns, are after all molded from the same mold (like the whole KO i guess) but a gun Molded by Takara and a gun molded by Justatoys would have little to no difference at all, slight plactic difference and or color maybe.

kup
8th March 2008, 01:16 AM
I have no issues with accurate repro parts but I do feel a bit ikky about using KO parts (particularly the non G1 accurate types) since they are usually notably different to the real article in both look and feel.

Something that the fan community has been needing for some time, is a good repro parts maker to help us with our impossible to find accessories.

The service that Transrepro once gave the fan community was invaluable so it was real sad when it shut down but it was even more tragic that this was due to the owner having a stroke.

TheDirtyDigger
8th March 2008, 07:12 AM
1 - G1 Mirage missing only the gun - is it ok to replace with the KO gun and never really look again?

2 - G1 Metroplex missing both fists - could i use fists off the KO metroplex?

3 - G1 Prime missing some rubber wheels - could i replace them with some off a KO version?

Yes to all long as it's not horribly noticable. Some of the genuine parts on the Hasbro reissues are so stupid, large and without chrome I think they are worse than KO parts and I've started replacing them with older genuine playworn parts just coz they look better and I would be willing to use KO parts if they are more G1 accurate than the reissues.

1orion2many
8th March 2008, 10:09 AM
:(This sort of thing has had me thinking as well, I am missing both of Fort Max's large guns (Photon & double barrelled). The conundrum is do I pick up both guns as repro's for about $25.00 or pick up the guns seperately for about $50.00 each. I have been ummming and ahhhing about this for at least 6 months now, just when I'm about to buy an original gun i see a figure I like going for the same price so you can guess which one I end up buying. In the end I will more than likely buy original parts depsite the pain to the pocket. Fort Max is to an important a figure for me to put repro parts on it unfortunately for me:(.

roller
8th March 2008, 10:24 AM
since i will probabky buy metroplex yes its ok to give him ko fists

everyone luv rollr

liegeprime
8th March 2008, 11:37 AM
:(This sort of thing has had me thinking as well, I am missing both of Fort Max's large guns (Photon & double barrelled). The conundrum is do I pick up both guns as repro's for about $25.00 or pick up the guns seperately for about $50.00 each. I have been ummming and ahhhing about this for at least 6 months now, just when I'm about to buy an original gun i see a figure I like going for the same price so you can guess which one I end up buying. In the end I will more than likely buy original parts depsite the pain to the pocket. Fort Max is to an important a figure for me to put repro parts on it unfortunately for me:(.

also I haven't heard/seen a KO made to the size specs of Fort max, 1orion.... the KO fort max is only 6-7 inches tall so I highly doubt its guns would qualify as a replacement :D.

Yes to all your samples Borgeman, I myself have partiucularly replaced one of buzzsaw's mortar cannons (lost eons ago:D) with that of a Kos and it fits the bill just fine. Provided that the figure itself isnt KO and the KO accessories
isnt noticaeable. that I can live with.

kup
8th March 2008, 12:39 PM
also I haven't heard/seen a KO made to the size specs of Fort max, 1orion.... the KO fort max is only 6-7 inches tall so I highly doubt its guns would qualify as a replacement :D.

There are no same scale Fort Max KOs but there are some proper size Repro parts in the market.

Most of them originated from this guy:

http://www.transrepro.com/autobot1.htm

Sadly the website and business no longer functions due to health issues of the owner.

MV75
8th March 2008, 01:26 PM
If you're that concerned though, how about marking the KO parts with a dab of red paint or something so you know what exactly the part is from, (non-genuine). :)
________
Buy magic flight launch box (http://www.vaporshop.com/mflb-vaporizer.html)

GoktimusPrime
8th March 2008, 04:03 PM
My question is how much KO cover can a toy have while retaining a general realness to it?
Article19 of the UCM states "Only Transformers in C-6 condition or above count" with the general interpretation of C-6 being "not a junker."

And toys can be quite incomplete without being considered a junker. For example, if you had a G1 Mirage that was missing all of his weapons but the toy was in otherwise good condition then most people would still consider it not to be a junker and thus in "countable" condition.

So your toy can have as many KO parts as you like so long as the core figure is legit and not a junker then it counts.

Of course that's according to the UCM... how it would count according to individual collector's rules is too varied for me to comment on.

Some of the genuine parts on the Hasbro reissues are so stupid, large and without chrome I think they are worse than KO parts and I've started replacing them with older genuine playworn parts just coz they look better and I would be willing to use KO parts if they are more G1 accurate than the reissues.
Which is why you buy Takara reissues, duh. :p

Borgeman
8th March 2008, 05:37 PM
Article19 of the UCM states "Only Transformers in C-6 condition or above count" with the general interpretation of C-6 being "not a junker."

And toys can be quite incomplete without being considered a junker. For example, if you had a G1 Mirage that was missing all of his weapons but the toy was in otherwise good condition then most people would still consider it not to be a junker and thus in "countable" condition.

ok, then how about missing fists?

George

1orion2many
26th March 2008, 03:45 PM
:eek:I said I wouldn't do this but I have, I bought the Photon rifle and double barrelled gun for Fort Max as reproductions. They are in original colours and seem to be good quality. It is going to cost me about $45.00 U.S including postage compared to about $120.00-$150.00 U.S just to buy original items.
Scrooge McDuck here was just to tight in the wallet so here comes the reproductions:rolleyes:.