PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - TF2 Brakedown

griffin
10th January 2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.otca.com.au/tr10008a.jpg
(Only realised while reviewing the figure - the blue crotch-piece should be folded back and under the black waist bit)

Review 10-008 - Brakedown
Series - TF2 Movie
Sub-line -
Size - Scout
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 5
Released here - December 2009
Approximate Retail Price - $15
Approximate Size - 10-15cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Sports Car
Main Features/Gimmicks -
Main Colours - White, Dark Blue, black.
Main Accessories - None
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 1.5
Stability - Not very good on its feet, but the car mode holds together well.
Poseability/articulation - Very good for its size, but probably standard for contemporary figures. For me, having neck and wrist joints is a bonus.
Playability - Very playable in both modes, and easy enough to convert to keep up the momentum when having play-battles. Fair bit of kibble in robot mode though, that can get in the way of a good 'fist-fight' between the toys.
My Thoughts - Kibble for the smaller figures is a common thing as the designers don't have much to work with to develop a fully convertable figure that is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. Overlooking the big back-pack and doors on the arms, this one doesn't do too badly. The main hinge for the backpack probably should have been able to go the other way, to let that backpack fold down more behind the robot mode. One of the better Scouts for me, and a good homage to the 'Breakdown' toy of Gen1. Just a pity that they can't seem to use the name anymore.
My Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 8 (buy it)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10008b.jpg

5FDP
10th January 2010, 04:09 PM
I haven't bought any of the scouts as I normally stick to core characters that appeared in the movies (I know Scalpel did but meh)... this might just tempt me.

GoktimusPrime
10th January 2010, 05:36 PM
So you skipped Scout Class Wheelie too?

5FDP
10th January 2010, 06:48 PM

Yep. I got the Legends class (Wheelie) instead. I find him to be a better toy and in scale with the Deluxes and Voyagers.

dirge
10th January 2010, 09:23 PM
There's a Scout class Wheelie?

Brakedown is a win for me.

GoktimusPrime
10th January 2010, 09:24 PM
Fair enough. I might have made the same decision had I known/anticipated that they'd make a Legends Wheelie at the time I got the Deluxe. Still, scale issues aside I find Scout Wheelie to be a pretty neat toy. :) I'll probably grab a Legends Wheelie anyway when I find one.

Autocon
10th January 2010, 10:47 PM
Fair enough. I might have made the same decision had I known/anticipated that they'd make a Legends Wheelie at the time I got the Deluxe. Still, scale issues aside I find Scout Wheelie to be a pretty neat toy. :) I'll probably grab a Legends Wheelie anyway when I find one.

pics of scout wheelie next to deluxe wheelie please:)

griffin
10th January 2010, 11:54 PM

There's no scout class Wheelie.
http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/checklists/revenge_of_the_fallen.php
Only Legends and Deluxe (and I haven't seen any other future Wheelies mentioned either).
Strange that such a prominant character has only got 2 toys, while obscure characters, and some that didn't even appear in the sequel, get more toys (like Barricade).

5FDP
11th January 2010, 07:30 AM
Agreed. It is weird that he only has 2 toys and is so prominent in ROTF. Kind of like Frenzy from the first movie. He only had one transformable toy (Fast Action Battler). Fortunately, that was executed quite well.

MV75
11th January 2010, 05:10 PM

Pictures or you're going before the quintessons. :p

Yes, buy brakedown. :)

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry, I should've said Deluxe, not Scout. For some reason I got thinking that Deluxe Wheelie was a Scout Class... I think I got confused because Wheelie doesn't have any card art like other Deluxes, but instead just has a photo of his alt mode like a Scout. But anyway - I sit corrected. :)

Lord_Zed
12th January 2010, 12:13 PM
Brakedown is good, but IMO he didn't live up to the hype the first toy pics generated.

ROTF Dead End is just as cool. :D

The_Damned
12th January 2010, 01:24 PM
still waiting to find him in the shops :(

Deceptic_Optic
12th January 2010, 01:58 PM
Not really a fan of scouts but brakedown change my mind so i got two :)

Grievous
15th January 2010, 12:27 PM
This little guy is pretty sweet and he makes a good running buddy
for scout class Dead End.

My only problem with him is his feet...mainly the lack of proper heel
spurs. Heel spurs are like my favorite part of a Transformer...and
yes...I know that sounds strange.
;)

I picked him up from Big W for $15.00 and he was worth every cent.
:cool:

BigTransformerTrev
28th September 2013, 08:45 PM
Nice little figure, probably the closest we have had to a G1 Breakdown homage outside of the Collectors Club or Botcon. Well worth the small price he is/was in my opinion. The makers of War for Cybertron and TFPrime respectively could have learned a lesson from how good this small figure did of being new while simultaneously paying homage to its roots.

Omega Metro
28th September 2013, 09:04 PM
I was recently thinking of replacing this with the TFCC subscription (buying it) deluxe but hate that mold. This scout is a lot better.