PDA

View Full Version : (Classic) Review 10-009 - Gen1 Starscream

griffin
11th January 2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.otca.com.au/tr10009a.jpg

Review 10-009 - Starscream
Series - Generation 1 (although, it wasn't called 'Generation 1' back then - that was only coined by fans about 10-15 years ago)
Sub-line - Seeker Jet (also a semi-official term that was in a store catalogue, and adopted by fans and Hasbro later)
Size -
New/remould/redeco - 'New' (it was new to Transformers at least, but was a mould that existed prior to this release, in the Diaclone series)
Wave - First Year (1984)
Released here - 1984/85?
Approximate Retail Price - $15-20?
Approximate Size - 20cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - F-15 Fighter Jet
Main Features/Gimmicks - Missile Launchers
Main Colours - Grey, Red, Dark blue.
Main Accessories - (lotsa wing bits), 4 Missiles, 2 Launchers, landing gear.
My Difficulty rating (out of 5) - 1
Stability - Stands well, but with lots of bits plugged in all over it in both modes, it comes apart fairly easily with semi-rough play. And most toys of this mold after several years lose tightness in the cock-pit hinge, making the main chest section swing forward in robot mode.
Poseability/articulation - Arms are the only body-parts that move in robot mode.
Playability - Alt-mode is the most playable mode, plus it has missile-launchers to shoot at the Autobots.
My Thoughts - Reissued more for the cheap redeco potential, rather than it being an example of a great Transformers Toy. For a kids's small hands, the big jet mode would be a lot of fun, and the quick conversion is even better for play amongst school friends, or on your own. All the removable parts are a drawback, as they come out easily, especially as the toy gets older, making it easier to lose bits. My first Starscream toy was bought in 1992, and it was just as exciting as when I used to play with a friends' six years earlier.
My Overall Recommendation Rating (out of 10) - 8 (for its time, and the character, it is definitely worth having)

http://www.otca.com.au/tr10009b.jpg

5FDP
11th January 2010, 08:26 AM
I love G1 Starscream. I'm a bit biased though being primarily a G1 collector. Never had this toy when I was a kid however my God Parents son did and I remember playing with him at every opportunity I had.

He's not so much a great toy as he is a great and integral character in the Transformers universe. No collection is complete without one.

DarkHyren
11th January 2010, 11:48 AM
I would love to have one of these again, Starscream was the first Decepticon I ever had and probally my second or third TF.
I agree that compared to newer molds this one is not as great, but it's the nostalgia and character itself that's the main reason it's a "must get" (at least eventually) for me.

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2010, 12:49 PM
I clicked on "Buy It" but with the proviso that you would be a fan/collector of vintage G1 toys. As DarkHyren said, it's kinda ordinary compared to contemporary moulds, but at the same time it was a great toy for its time. I got this toy as a birthday present when I was a kid. :)

I suppose any TF line could come with a proviso that you'd need to be a fan of that line anyway (e.g.: ROTF, Animated etc.) :)

Lord_Zed
11th January 2010, 01:40 PM
Starscream was always my least favourte Seeker colourwise. He is one of those "classic" characters though.

I have an incomplete token Starscream, but I'm not to concerned as his subordinates all look so much cooler to me.

MV75
11th January 2010, 06:05 PM
Buy it buy it buy it.

The alt mode is the most win ever in the TF line.

I used to love laughing at catalog shots of these guys. They'd pose the missle launchers at stupid angles. :D Griffin has a bit of that in the robot picture, but the pro photographers would really mess them up. :)

The best memory I have is myself and friends would get our jet transformers, (they all had a seeker each, I had cyclonus), and we'd "fly" them all over the school during lunch time. Mostly follow the leader, or formations, it was alt mode only.

dirge
11th January 2010, 09:42 PM
Buy it. But only after you have purchased Dirge (:

MV75
12th January 2010, 03:17 PM
Done. Dirge is cheap, you can lure him home with a bag of doritos. But it has to be cheese supreme for the best results, or he may run away, well, sort of.

Scrapper
13th January 2010, 01:57 PM
The character of star scream has changed so much over the years from the g1 to animated. Over recent years he has got more comical to the sense that the character himself gotten more ballsy with his attacks for example in season 3 of animated I believe it was when he first had the all spark shard in his head.

Though for many one of the most memorable star screams was the armada star scream due to his change of character I believe besides from the beast wars episode that star scream appeared in this was our first proper full series length star scream (please correct me if I am wrong) for the english dubbed series. With him wanting to lead his decepticon brothers for the right reasons and wanting to be a leader for the right reasons as well. As he stated he wanted to be a leader like optimus prime in the episode where he dies.

Though there have been many star screams only one truly became decepticon commander and had a coronation to show it yet 5 minutes into that he was destroyed by his reformatted ex commander.

The toy is something a series collector should have. It shows the evolution of jets and of transformation. Back in the days where hands were an accessory that you HAD to plug in to the figure with some to today where hands fold into the character itself. The fact that if you collect leaders of both armies you HAVE to have him or if you collect G1 or the decepticons armies you still HAVE to have him. Heck I have known some collectors out there that love the character so much they have gone out to try and get every star scream type of toy there is.

As a piece of history into our fandom and the story line I have to give him a 10 but as a toy how ever I would say a 9 for its age and as fat boy slim once said "we've come a long way baby".

AussieJason
14th January 2010, 08:53 PM
I selected "Buy it". It was a great toy for it's time.

As as kid the only seeker I had was Thundercracker, so at my house he did the occasional bit of plotting against Megatron instead...

I have an original G1 Starscream now though.

GoktimusPrime
14th January 2010, 09:44 PM
As as kid the only seeker I had was Thundercracker, so at my house he did the occasional bit of plotting against Megatron instead...
Which kinda makes sense for Thundercracker!

From Thundercracker's original tech specs (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/techspecs/decepticon/1984/ts_thundercracker.jpg):
"Not totally convinced of the Decepticons' cause..."

...not to mention that in the Machine Wars Thundercracker's function was "Rebel Warrior" and his tech specs (http://www.tfu.info/1997/Decepticon/Thundercracker/thundercracker.htm) states:
"...remains rebellious among his own ranks."

Mmm... rebel scum fresh... :)

heroic_decepticon
21st January 2010, 08:23 AM
Buy it. There's no two ways about it. :p

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2010, 11:00 AM
I dunno... I'm not sure if I'd recommend this toy to a non-G1 collector, especially the youngins who never grew up with G1 in the 80s. This toy holds special value for oldies like you and I because we grew up playing with it. We look at it with nostalgic fondness and appreciation for the engineering of its time.

But if I were born after the 80s and didn't grow up with G1, then I don't think I'd care for this toy. I certainly don't care much for toys that were before my time like the original 30cm G.I. Joes or Microman/Micronauts etc. I appreciate them; especially in terms of the role they play in the pre-history of Transformers, but because I never played with them as a kid I don't care enough to ever want to buy one. There are some young collectors who like collecting old vintage toys, but I find that they're exceptional.