PDA

View Full Version : War For Cybertron Toys - First Images

5FDP
11th January 2010, 09:29 AM
Aside from the prototype picture of Optimus Prime that was leaked a couple of weeks ago, there are now a couple of new pics posted up on TFW2005 that reveal what looks to be War For Cybertron Optimus Prime (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/4/1/8/2/war-for-cybertron-optimus-prime_1263136408.jpg) (Deluxe) and possibly a War For Cybertron Soundwave (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/0/5/9/7/RPM-soundwave-vehicle_1263130030.jpg) RPM.

Soundwave seem to be heavily influenced by the Animated version but displays greater detail.

Personally, I question whether or not the Soundwave RPM is based on the War For Cybertron series as the alternate mode seems based on an 'earthen' mode and not what a pre-G1 toy should look like.

kup
11th January 2010, 09:38 AM
I agree with your viewpoint on Soundwave, it doesn't make any sense as far as War for Cybertron is concerned.

I need a better view of that Prime Cybertronian truck vehicle but I am not fond of the neon pink.

1AZRAEL1
11th January 2010, 09:38 AM
Damn you beat me to to it haha.

Like the look of Op, don't like RPM's so Soundwave would be an easy miss for me.

SilverDragon
11th January 2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe the Soundwave RPM is actually for whatever the new series is, and War for Cybertron ties into it.

5FDP
11th January 2010, 09:44 AM
Maybe the Soundwave RPM is actually for whatever the new series is, and War for Cybertron ties into it.

There is some speculation on the other forums that the War For Cybertron game is actually a prequel to the new show and that the Soundwave PRM displays his alternate mode when they arrive on Earth - meaning that the new show will be earth based.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

1AZRAEL1
11th January 2010, 09:50 AM
For an underside picture of Soundwave RPM, go here (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-rpms-soundwave-and-optimus-prime-repaint/17641/)

Looks pretty much like the concept art for Soundwave for the game. And because it is a car, it could be for the TV show if the game is the prequal to the show.

TheFallen
11th January 2010, 10:44 AM
There was a proto pic of that Prime months ago and now we know what it is

I am not that impressed though

Golden Phoenix
11th January 2010, 02:00 PM
why don't we all just wait for better pics
We've had only a couple of pics and none of them were flatering.

Just relax before someone has to yell 'TRUK NOT TANK-TRUK-THINGY'

1AZRAEL1
11th January 2010, 02:12 PM
why don't we all just wait for better pics
We've had only a couple of pics and none of them were flatering.

Just relax before someone has to yell 'TRUK NOT TANK-TRUK-THINGY'

No, we all must whinge about every little thing that we don't like about the first pictures we see :rolleyes::p

I quite like the Op, I just want to see him transformed (though I know how he will look anyway thanks to the trailer :p)

kup
11th January 2010, 02:16 PM
No, we all must whinge about every little thing that we don't like about the first pictures we see :rolleyes::p

I quite like the Op, I just want to see him transformed (though I know how he will look anyway thanks to the trailer :p)

That's true - Those colors wouldn't be there to begin with if they weren't 'trialing' them.

autobreadticon
11th January 2010, 02:20 PM
haha wasnt soundwave a lamppost in the g1 cartoon

5FDP
11th January 2010, 02:28 PM
haha wasnt soundwave a lamppost in the g1 cartoon

He sure was http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/a/a2/Cybertronsoundwave.jpg

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2010, 09:26 AM
lucky there were to Cybertronian dogs sniffing at his base. ;)

Judging just from these pics I'm not impressed with either toy. Soundwave looks too much like Animated Soundwave and Optimus Prime's alt mode looks too "WTF?!" to me. Meh. I might get Prime but so far Soundwave doesn't appeal to me. My opinion may change when more pics come out and/or when I see the toys IRL - but so far this is what I think.

kup
12th January 2010, 09:36 AM
Reports are that Optimus Prime is mistransformed badly or with parts missing as its not as smooth as the earlier leaked protoype and there is considerable kibble not present in the character model - However that does not save the horrible paint job. I know its just a prototype but horrible paint jobs including pinks and flat colors do manage to get approved by Hasbro.

I believe that Soundwave is merely an oddity - I don't think he represents anything.

dirge
12th January 2010, 09:42 AM
TRUK NOT LAMPPOST!!!

:D

Pipesqueak
12th January 2010, 07:28 PM
I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be a mostly earth-based series. I was looking forward to a series full of interesting cybertronian designs.

Lord_Zed
12th January 2010, 08:46 PM
I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be a mostly earth-based series. I was looking forward to a series full of interesting cybertronian designs.

Really?

Whenever I think of Cybertronian designs I think of the lazy space car designs of the Armada-Cybertron series. I would prefer either proper earthen modes, or completely alien looking vehicle modes.

Admitedly this deluxe primes vehicle mode isn't too bad, far better than the Armadaverse space trucks anyway.

kup
12th January 2010, 08:49 PM
Really?

Whenever I think of Cybertronian designs I think of the lazy space car designs of the Armada-Cybertron series. I would prefer either proper earthen modes, or completely alien looking vehicle modes.

Admitedly this deluxe primes vehicle mode isn't too bad, far better than the Armadaverse space trucks anyway.

Same. I would not like a series composed of only Cybertronian vehicles.

Cybertronian vehicles are still good however but in measured doses. I am fine with a subline or 'mini-line' like the video game toys appear to be or the odd Cybertronian/Sci-Fi/Beast mold within a line mostly composed of realistic vehicles.

Tommy K
12th January 2010, 08:59 PM
does anyone else think that this may be the next cartoon, war for cybertron may be a 3d cartoon? anyone?

kup
12th January 2010, 09:31 PM
does anyone else think that this may be the next cartoon, war for cybertron may be a 3d cartoon? anyone?

Its been said that its a prequel to the new franchise but I am somewhat skeptical on that.

autobreadticon
12th January 2010, 11:33 PM

i would love a groundbreaking 3d cartoon to make the SW clone wars cartoon feel ancient and outdated

GoktimusPrime
13th January 2010, 01:27 AM
History has shown that more alien/abstract alt modes aren't as popular with the market as more authentic looking alt modes (i.e. "robots in disguise"). If you talk to a lot of people about G1 they tend to remember the early years more fondly than the later ones. Some people started to lose interest in Transformers around 1987 when a lot of them started using Cybertronian/futuristic alt modes (e.g.: Targetmasters & Headmasters). Later on following the immense popularity and success of Beast Wars, quite a few people got turned off by Beast Machines (long before Michael Bay signed on to direct Transformers, many TF fans were accusing BM story editor Bob Skir of "killing my childhood" and making threats against him); one criticism some fans made was that their alt modes didn't look like anything immediately recognisable. Transformers Car Robot came out in Japan around the same time as Beast Machines and was far more popular; and when Hasbro released Car Robot in their markets as Robots In Disguise, the toys were flying off shelves - months before the cartoon ever aired on TV.

Now I'm by no means trying to diminish your opinion or statement in any way - it's perfectly valid and I don't personally disagree with it. I like Cybertronian modes if they're done well as a toy (like Classics Jetfire; even if the jet mode isn't aerodynamically sound; it's a neat toy :)) - but in terms of overall market appeal I'm not sure if a line entirely consisting of abstract fantasy modes would sell as well as those consisting of realistic vehicles. You could get away with it in limited numbers, as we saw with Animated (i.e. Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime and Megatron), but I don't know about a whole line of Transformer with fantasy alt modes.

I could be wrong though. <shrug> :o

The_Damned
13th January 2010, 04:52 AM
i am really not liking that pic of optimus at all, but as always i will have to see it in the the context of the actual show and is there any pics of the robot mode?

5FDP
13th January 2010, 08:41 AM
History has shown that more alien/abstract alt modes aren't as popular with the market as more authentic looking alt modes (i.e. "robots in disguise"). If you talk to a lot of people about G1 they tend to remember the early years more fondly than the later ones. Some people started to lose interest in Transformers around 1987 when a lot of them started using Cybertronian/futuristic alt modes (e.g.: Targetmasters & Headmasters). Later on following the immense popularity and success of Beast Wars, quite a few people got turned off by Beast Machines (long before Michael Bay signed on to direct Transformers, many TF fans were accusing BM story editor Bob Skir of "killing my childhood" and making threats against him); one criticism some fans made was that their alt modes didn't look like anything immediately recognisable. Transformers Car Robot came out in Japan around the same time as Beast Machines and was far more popular; and when Hasbro released Car Robot in their markets as Robots In Disguise, the toys were flying off shelves - months before the cartoon ever aired on TV.

Now I'm by no means trying to diminish your opinion or statement in any way - it's perfectly valid and I don't personally disagree with it. I like Cybertronian modes if they're done well as a toy (like Classics Jetfire; even if the jet mode isn't aerodynamically sound; it's a neat toy :)) - but in terms of overall market appeal I'm not sure if a line entirely consisting of abstract fantasy modes would sell as well as those consisting of realistic vehicles. You could get away with it in limited numbers, as we saw with Animated (i.e. Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime and Megatron), but I don't know about a whole line of Transformer with fantasy alt modes.

I could be wrong though. <shrug> :o

Truer words have never been spoken. As an old-school G1 fan (grew up with Transformers in the 80's), the series started to loose my interest after season 2 of the TV show when they started using more 'alien' alternate modes instead of recognisable cars, planes, and objects.

It kind of killed the fantasy aspect for me believing that my dad's car could actually be a Transformer.

kup
13th January 2010, 09:17 PM
They did go back to some more realistic alt modes in 1988 but they did take their freedom in stylizing them somewhat like Nightbeat, Siren and the Powermasters.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th January 2010, 03:56 PM
If the game is a prelude to another series though, the Cybertron modes could work, afterall they might only do 8 or so playable characters. I would get them. I like the look of Prime from the hand drawn shots and one pictureisn't going to put me off of a new toy.

1AZRAEL1
24th January 2010, 12:46 PM
GameInformer (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/official-confirmation-on-transformers-war-for-cybertron-toyline/17715/) reports that the Optimus figure will be part of a limited assortment of figures. Also, rumours are that Bumblebee's figure will be featured in this months Transformers Collectors Club Magazine.

I eagerly await.

The_Damned
24th January 2010, 01:38 PM
so they do say a limited assortment of figures but not a limited amount of figures?

1AZRAEL1
24th January 2010, 01:41 PM
Limited assortment yea. My guess is you can get each of the playable characters. If it was a limited amount of figures, I would be annoyed.

"In 2010, Hasbro will be introducing a limited assortment of Transformers figures tied to Activision’s War for Cybertron game."

5FDP
24th January 2010, 02:17 PM
I hope that they get released to retail. I actually like some of the designs but wouldn't pay for them if they were a limited release through the Transformers Collectors Club Magazine. That would just drive up the price to something comparable with a BotCon toy.

1AZRAEL1
24th January 2010, 02:29 PM
I hope that they get released to retail. I actually like some of the designs but wouldn't pay for them if they were a limited release through the Transformers Collectors Club Magazine. That would just drive up the price to something comparable with a BotCon toy.

It is more than likley it would be in retail. Just have to sit tight and see what happens. I can imagine that these will be out in the next few months, seeing as how the game comes out in June 22nd according to Amazon.

5FDP
24th January 2010, 02:34 PM
It is more than likley it would be in retail. Just have to sit tight and see what happens. I can imagine that these will be out in the next few months, seeing as how the game comes out in June 22nd according to Amazon.

*fingers crossed* Thanks dude :)

kup
24th January 2010, 02:39 PM

I hope the game is not rushed to meet Hasbro's release schedule. Rushing development has been the death knell of too many promising releases. Usually you get noticed about the game at least a year and often 2 years before release. With War for Cybertron we only got first time notice a few weeks ago and now its due to release in just a few months.

It is also in Hasbro's main interest for the game to be above average otherwise no one will care much about the toys if the game sucks - I hope they are aware of that.

1AZRAEL1
24th January 2010, 02:49 PM
I hope the game is not rushed to meet Hasbro's release schedule. Rushing development has been the death knell of too many promising releases.

It is also in Hasbro's main interest for the game to be above average otherwise no one will care much about the toys if the game sucks - I hope they are aware of that.

I don't think this game has been rushed. From what I have heard, this game has been in development for quite some time and been kept under a very tight lock and key. This release date will most likely change, Amazon has been known to be wrong at times. And dates usually change all the time for releases. But as we have all speculated before, if this is to be a precursor for the new TV show, Hasbro will want it out as soon as they can.

As for the game being above average, I think we all hope that this game will be great. I won't make any major judgement on it until I either see in-game footage, or have it in my hands. Hope we can see footage of it soon.

Tetsuwan Convoy
24th January 2010, 07:54 PM
If confirmed, the new line will include Autobots Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, and Drift, while the evil forces of the Decepticons get new Megatron and Soundwave toys
DRIFT?!?

I think the game may have been in development for a while as well. The art work we saw when it was firts announced had dates that were a month or two earlier and hey had the video available straightaway so I reckon things might be looking good.

kup
24th January 2010, 08:13 PM
It just seems odd that they are not releasing gameplay footage yet - At this stage they should already have the whole game completed and in the process of fine tuning it.

I am very curious about the gameplay style of the game and its single player campaign.

DRIFT?!?

I think the game may have been in development for a while as well. The art work we saw when it was firts announced had dates that were a month or two earlier and hey had the video available straightaway so I reckon things might be looking good.

Drift seems very odd - I thought he was IDW's mascot which this games seems to have very little to do with.

Golden Phoenix
25th January 2010, 10:09 AM
Drift seems very odd - I thought he was IDW's mascot which this games seems to have very little to do with.

They could just be taking the character and running with it. It'd be like how they made a movie Lockdown

kup
25th January 2010, 10:34 AM
They could just be taking the character and running with it. It'd be like how they made a movie Lockdown

Possibly but wouldn't it have an Earth mode? Unless its a cybertronian drift as in his spotlight.

kup
25th January 2010, 02:49 PM
For a War for Cybertron Omega Supreme, I would settle for a 'black and grey' repaint of G1 Omega in the same color scheme as the game but that's too clever for Hasbro :)

i_amtrunks
25th January 2010, 08:52 PM
Drift???

Blech.

Paulbot
25th January 2010, 09:21 PM
A Drift toy had been designed and it was mentioned at Botcon and it was gonna be part of the Universe line. I'd guess that maybe Hasbro are just sloting this in whereever it fits best in the 2010 lines.

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th January 2010, 01:36 AM
I am curious to know if they will actualy shove it into the game as well...

Sleeve
26th January 2010, 11:21 AM
'War For Cybertron' will have a limited assortment of figures (http://tformers.com/transformers-confirmed-war-for-cybertron-game-will-have-limited-assortment-toyline/12962/news.html).

griffin
28th January 2010, 12:53 PM
Split off the news about Bumblebee, Megatron and Optimus. News topics shouldn't be ongoing topics, as news items can get missed by others, and re-posted elsewhere (like WFC Optimus & Megatron was).