PDA

View Full Version : Encore Metroplex second run

kurdt_the_goat
14th January 2010, 04:13 PM
Thought this little bit of news might go unnoticed since it was just reported on the international sites amongst a regular BBTS update.

Seems Encore Metroplex is getting a second run (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK10827&mode=retail), great news for those that missed out the first time! It seems to indicate that the larger Encore release was at least profitable, contrary to the general consensus that they shelf warmed.

I hope this means the continuation of G1 reissues!

kup
14th January 2010, 04:24 PM
I hope it means future larger Encore reissues - I want an Encore Overlord, Victory Saber and Deszaras!

1AZRAEL1
14th January 2010, 04:32 PM
I hope it means future larger Encore reissues - I want an Encore Overlord, Victory Saber and Deszaras!

The likleyhood of them actually doing those would probably be slim to none, and slim left town :p

I would buy them as well if they did them. One can only hope they do.

Gutsman Heavy
14th January 2010, 05:55 PM
This means Trypticon has to come out!* All those 'plexes with no one to fight...

*doesn't mean anything more than a rabid fan speculation

Paulbot
14th January 2010, 06:56 PM
This means Trypticon has to come out!* All those 'plexes with no one to fight...

I wonder if the new video game would help the chances... :D

Zippo
14th January 2010, 07:21 PM
Sweet. Picked two up in Singapore on release but managed to stuff up my monthly order for them and have to give one away on my return.

Yet to pick up one since they got so expensive..

Lordy
14th January 2010, 08:01 PM

*doesn't mean anything more than a rabid fan speculationI would so like that. Then I would have both cities :D

SofaMan
14th January 2010, 11:22 PM

+1!

Sky Shadow
14th January 2010, 11:58 PM
The likleyhood of them actually doing those would probably be slim to none, and slim left town :p

Surely if they're willing to do a second run of Metroplex (a barely-used character at a huge price point) then Overlord, Victory Saber or Deszaras would be likely potential possibilities owing to their far more prominent roles in Japanese canon?

llamatron
15th January 2010, 01:02 AM
I guess it's safe to say that K.O.'s really have minimal impact on sales of official items.

This rerelease is a good sign that maybe we'll see some more large figures. Overlord would be magnificant but unlikely.

kup
15th January 2010, 01:07 AM
What I have always wandered is: Which yet to be reissued figures do they still have molds for?

canofwhoopass_87
15th January 2010, 02:01 AM
I've always wondered whether or not lost moulds are really just hearsay or fan rumours? I mean...can the companies really be able to lose the ability to manufacture thousands of the same pieces they produced in the 80's and early 90's?

If fans in their garage / KO'ers can produce something of similar (if not the same) calibre and likeness of many vintage items, surely anything can be reissued by HasTak if they wanted to?

or am I just a noob?

5FDP
15th January 2010, 08:40 AM
I've always wondered whether or not lost moulds are really just hearsay or fan rumours? I mean...can the companies really be able to lose the ability to manufacture thousands of the same pieces they produced in the 80's and early 90's?

If fans in their garage / KO'ers can produce something of similar (if not the same) calibre and likeness of many vintage items, surely anything can be reissued by HasTak if they wanted to?

or am I just a noob?

GoktimusPrime said it quite well in a previous post (unable to find it though) that the cost of reverse engineering a toy would be significantly higher for HasTak as they have different production standards when compared to your average bootlegger. These would include marketing, quality control, registering trademarks for names in some cases etc. Bootleggers don't seem to care about legalities as the product they are making is technically illegal significantly reducing the cost of producing KO toys.

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2010, 09:31 AM
Exactry. I mean, exactly. Making counterfeits is a lot cheaper and easier compared to legitimately making a reproduction.

Moulds that have been confirmed as lost, broken or too far deteriorated are:
G1 1985 Grimlock
G1 Mirage
G1 Slag
G1 Sludge
G1 1985 Snarl
G1 Swoop
G1 Wheeljack
Most (if not all) Beast Wars Basics
All the mass-released Armada Mini-Cons
RiD Prowl, Side-Burn and X-Brawn

Moulds which are rumoured to be lost are:
G1 Constructicons
G1 Sunstreaker

reference (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mold#Issues_with_Reissues)

-------

I hope that this second production run does mean that Metroflex is selling well. I would support any future endeavours from TakaraTOMY to release biggies; none of my G1 biggies are 100% complete anyway, so I'd jump at the chance to get Trypticon or Scorponok... and who _wouldn't_ want a reissue Fortress Maximus?! (Well, maybe not Linthart; I wouldn't bother if I were him ;)) You just know that a Japanese Fort Max reissue would come with Mastah Sword (even if the mould for that sword is deteriorated judging by the quality on the God Fire Sword, unless it was just Takara using cheap plastic on that thing).

DarkHyren
15th January 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, this is good news. I don't have a Metroplex yet so I hope this means that costs will stay down and I won't have to pay double or more the actual retail price on him.
Yay :D

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2010, 12:49 PM
I still wish e-Hobby would give us a reissue Metrotitan (I don't care if it doesn't come with Metrobomb), but I guess that ship has sailed. :(

canofwhoopass_87
15th January 2010, 01:09 PM
I've noticed that many of the recently reissued 80's formers such as metroplex, the insects, perceptor and predaking generally sell for more than their originals? I always thought the main justification for collectors purchasing reissues was primarily cheap cost vs expensive vintage counterparts.

I've had a couple of reissues in my collection before and I must say - it's an immensely different feeling when cracking open a supremely mint encore jazz as opposed to an original C8 bubble wrapped one in a cardboard box, but it would be interesting to know what drives other people to collect the reissues?

Sky Shadow
15th January 2010, 02:10 PM
I've noticed that many of the recently reissued 80's formers such as metroplex, the insects, perceptor and predaking generally sell for more than their originals?

MISB reissues don't sell for more than equivalent MISB originals though. If they sell for more than used or incomplete toys, then that's different - personally, my feelings on the issue are "why would I buy a crappy used Metroplex with scratches or torn misplaced stickers and a missing missile (and many other potential problems not made clear by the seller) when I can buy a brand new mint reissue?" I would always rather have a new toy than a second (or third or fourth) hand one.

dirge
15th January 2010, 04:10 PM
I agree with Sky Shadow as to why I'd grab a reissue - it's new and complete - and far more affordable than an original in similar condition.

I've actually replaced many of my old originals with reissues simply because over the years I (or the previous) owner played with the originals.

kup
15th January 2010, 05:42 PM
I personally prefer to go with an original rather than the reissue but its not a fixed rule as I do make exceptions and consider the reissue to be every bit as legit as the original as far as my collection goes.

However there are some so called 'reissues' which I would not consider an acceptable re-release of the figure as far as my G1 collection goes (assuming I buy it). Such a figure would be Pinkymus Prime.

5FDP
15th January 2010, 06:31 PM
I only buy originals if there is no KO version of it available. If there is, and it has been reissued, I'll go for that.

MV75
16th January 2010, 11:06 AM
Someone must have really put the demand in for an order to get a 2nd run done.

I'd much prefer news of the next character in the line. Of course I'd love Trypticon, scorponok or devastator, but I'm hedging bets on sideswipe. Thrust would be sweet as though.

canofwhoopass_87
17th January 2010, 02:15 AM
I only buy originals if there is no KO version of it available. If there is, and it has been reissued, I'll go for that.

Sometimes you can still stick to the original by buying variants though. I believe high quality knock offs of scourge were manufactured to replicate the sticker top original. You can quite simply track down and purchase the vintage moulded top variant instead without any worries of it being a crappy fake.

On the top of my head I think the variants of the following are available for those worried about KO's

- Cyclonus
- Optimus
- The Decepticon tapes
- Metroplex

Maybe others, but they don't come to mind right now :)

Also, I noticed RK have the encore metroplex for $30US cheaper than BBTS. Not to mention the massive saving on shipping too. BBTS charge an arm and a leg in comprison and this fella is a big whopper in the box

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFECR12&lang=us&CatID=

MV75
17th January 2010, 07:43 AM
Also, I noticed RK have the encore metroplex for $30US cheaper than BBTS. Not to mention the massive saving on shipping too. BBTS charge an arm and a leg in comprison and this fella is a big whopper in the box

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFECR12&lang=us&CatID=

Yea, I just quoted their system of being US$ 92.88 INC SHIPPING. :)

It's tempting to get one this time.

langzixinxin
23rd January 2010, 12:46 AM
the 2nd round won't be lower quality even lower than KOs.