PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who new series

Scrapper
17th January 2010, 02:00 AM
If you haven't seen David Tennant's last episode and if you feel you can't bare to see him say good bye then do not. It is quite a sad final episode but there is a new trailer out now available on you tube a trailer for the new series and it shows this doctor hitting another person, which is not doctor like at all since the doctor does not really like violence and well I can barely remember him hitting a person only sword fighting in his first episode. So if you are a fan talk here about what you have heard and like and dislike about this so called new doctor.

My disliking already is he's ugly and he's way to young in my eyes.

roller
17th January 2010, 02:30 AM
i call the new guy Metro Who

Scrapper
17th January 2010, 02:44 AM
metro? I highly disbelieve that with him for one he hasn't got short hair and he doesn't wear pink shirts (don't care what color you call it salmon or what ever its pink).
I think they should of stuck with some one a little bit older.

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2010, 10:27 AM
Meh... some people initially complained about Peter Davison (Fifth Doctor) as being too young, but he turned out alright. Even David Tennant (Tenth Doctor) is relatively young compared to most Doctors. I'll judge this Doctor after I see him in action. My least favourite Doctor is Colin Baker (Sixth Doctor).

And no roller, I'm including Peter Cushing's Doctor Who into my evaluation :p If only the President of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu_Jintao) had a PhD. ;)

Eruntalon
17th January 2010, 11:58 AM
Haven't seen the last episode yet, I've been too busy. The last episode I've viewed was The Waters of Mars.

Meh... some people initially complained about Peter Davison (Fifth Doctor) as being too young, but he turned out alright. Even David Tennant (Tenth Doctor) is relatively young compared to most Doctors. I'll judge this Doctor after I see him in action. My least favourite Doctor is Colin Baker (Sixth Doctor).

And no roller, I'm including Peter Cushing's Doctor Who into my evaluation :p If only the President of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu_Jintao) had a PhD. ;)

Peter Davidson to me always seemed less lively and more 'whimpy' as an actor portraying the doctor, but I suppose he had a lot to live up to after Tom Baker.

I also agree with you, Colin Baker was my least favorite Doctor as well. Go Jon Pertwee!

Lord_Zed
17th January 2010, 07:23 PM
[/url] had a PhD. ;)

Ask any Doctor Who fan, and they'll tell you their least favourte Doctor is the Sixth Doctor, he's like the Wheelie of Doctor Who. :D

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2010, 09:01 PM
Should/could this thread be merged with the Doctor Who discussion thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2284)?

It is quite a sad final episode but there is a new trailer out now available on you tube a trailer for the new series and it shows this doctor hitting another person, which is not doctor like at all since the doctor does not really like violence and well I can barely remember him hitting a person only sword fighting in his first episode.
The Doctor is meant to be a pacifist with a disdain against using forms of violence. I saw a trailer where the Eleventh Doctor is discharging a gun... buh?! However with trailers we're not seeing these actions in the context of the stories that they're in. Perhaps when we see these actions in context then they may make more sense. I hope so anyway. :/

Vector Sigma 13
17th January 2010, 09:40 PM
I saw Colin Baker and Sylvester Mcoy live while they were doing an Australian Doctor Who tour called "Inside the Tardis". I must admit that both were not great doctors in their respective series. But after listening to their stories about their experiences during the show i gained a little more respect for them. Although i didnt like it when Mcoy started talking about politics and the Iraq war (which was just starting) during the show. Id take Baker over Mcoy any day.

By the way- i was a bit sad too when David Tennant regenerated. I thought the scene was very well written and played out.

Unregistered
18th January 2010, 01:11 AM
whens the last episode of David Tennant's airing on tv?

5FDP
18th January 2010, 08:42 AM
There is and always will be only one true Doctor - Tom Baker ;)

Genesis of the Daleks was the best story ever (even though I'm more of a Cyberman fan).

Paulbot
18th January 2010, 09:51 AM
whens the last episode of David Tennant's airing on tv?

Feb 14 (part one) and Feb 21 (part two) (http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/01/airdate-doctor-who-the-end-of-time.html)

SilverDragon
19th January 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm not going to definitely like or dislike Eleven until the new series airs. Because there is always whining about the new Doctor until the new series comes along and converts us into fans of him (well, save for Colin Baker).

I saw Colin Baker and Sylvester Mcoy live while they were doing an Australian Doctor Who tour called "Inside the Tardis". I must admit that both were not great doctors in their respective series. But after listening to their stories about their experiences during the show i gained a little more respect for them. Although i didnt like it when Mcoy started talking about politics and the Iraq war (which was just starting) during the show. Id take Baker over Mcoy any day.

I went to that show too! Most of the fan questions directed at them were variations on "Did the Doctor get it on with his companions?", which was kind of annoying.

Eruntalon
21st January 2010, 05:35 PM
I went to that show too! Most of the fan questions directed at them were variations on "Did the Doctor get it on with his companions?", which was kind of annoying.

I went as well. Some highlights for me included seeing a fan dressed fully as the Master practicing his best Master impersonations in the mirror of the mens room.

Burn
21st January 2010, 06:59 PM
Tennat was, and will most likely always be, one of the best Doctor's (it's tough to decide between him and Tom Baker).

That being said, it doesn't matter how great he is, Russell T Davies is a god awful writer and that two part finale was full of so much garbage.

Bring on the new guy and Stephen Moffett in charge!

SilverDragon
28th January 2010, 09:08 PM
I went as well. Some highlights for me included seeing a fan dressed fully as the Master practicing his best Master impersonations in the mirror of the mens room.

The only costumed fan I saw there was someone dressed as the Fifth Doctor. And they were about my age at the time! Hooray for young fans of old Who! :)

Autocon
29th January 2010, 02:43 AM
whens the episode on where the dr dies and the new one is introduced?

griffin
29th January 2010, 03:53 AM
Go up to post #11 - airdates have already been posted.

Tabias Prime
18th April 2010, 11:16 PM
thought I'd resurrect this thread..what do you think of the new doctor?

I wasn't entirely happy with him at the start of the show but by the end he had grown on me...Crazy as Tom Baker and tough as David Tennant...

griffin
19th April 2010, 12:31 AM
I missed the 2-part regeneration story, but saw the ad for the new episode yesterday, so set the video to tape it while at work last night. Not a fan of this young Doctor though, as I'd prefer an older, wiser, experienced actor to more easily portray those similar traits of a Timelord who is over 800 years old.
Gonna miss David Tennant though. He was too young as well, but was entertaining to watch.

iceburn
19th April 2010, 12:36 AM
he's good. just watched the first official episodes and so many nice epis to go!!
i can't wait

5FDP
19th April 2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah, not a fan of the 'younger' type Doctors and after watching the episode last night, the new Doctor did nothing to change my views.

I guess it's a new generation of viewers though and they are trying to appeal to the younger audience. They did that with Peter Davidson and it failed miserably.

iceburn
19th April 2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, not a fan of the 'younger' type Doctors and after watching the episode last night, the new Doctor did nothing to change my views.

I guess it's a new generation of viewers though and they are trying to appeal to the younger audience. They did that with Peter Davidson and it failed miserably.

haha...go for the storyline :D; not the doctor unless you're a chick

5FDP
19th April 2010, 09:23 AM
haha...go for the storyline :D; not the doctor unless you're a chick

It did sound a bit like that didn't it :o

I'm currently watching some Tom Baker episodes (Genesis of the Daleks & Revenge of the Cybermen)... nothing beats the classic episodes.

Burn
19th April 2010, 06:42 PM
nothing beats the classic episodes.

While I do enjoy the new stuff (though "Victory of the Daleks" was like watching something RTD would churn out, and that's generally a crock of crap), I agree, the classic stuff is just better.

Hursticon
19th April 2010, 06:57 PM
thought I'd resurrect this thread..what do you think of the new doctor?

I wasn't entirely happy with him at the start of the show but by the end he had grown on me...Crazy as Tom Baker and tough as David Tennant...

I'd definitely have to agree with Tabias here though I had no problem with Matt Smith as I saw the last episodes of the 10th Doctor, Tom Baker was the Doctor that I remember most when I was young even though it was at least a Decade after he'd left the role :p and David Tennant was an absolute genius in the role.

I've *cough*acquired*cough* the first 2 episodes and I have thoroughly enjoyed them and am avidly looking forward to the next episode, of which looks to be awesome but I will not be the one to issue a Spoiler. :D

SMHFConvoy
19th April 2010, 07:20 PM
I like the new doctor. It's part of the canon that he gets younger with each regeneration.

But hey I'm watching it for Karen Gillan as much as I'm watching it for the new guy.

Vector Sigma 13
19th April 2010, 09:58 PM
I must admit i had my reservations regarding this guy. However I enjoyed the first episode and like the concept of a younger Doctor.

Hursticon
20th April 2010, 04:08 PM
Just finished watching the 3rd episode: "Victory of The Daleks" and all I can say is :eek::eek::eek:

I'm so glad Doctor Who was given a Proper Budget and passionate employees to keep the series alive. :D

5FDP
20th April 2010, 06:24 PM
Just finished watching the 3rd episode: "Victory of The Daleks" and all I can say is :eek::eek::eek:

I'm so glad Doctor Who was given a Proper Budget and passionate employees to keep the series alive. :D

Hmmm.... did you say Daleks :D Might have to give this a second chance.

Burn
20th April 2010, 10:16 PM
I thought the Dalek episode was complete and utter garbage, worse than anything RTD churned out last year.

Autocon
20th April 2010, 11:19 PM
watched the first ep. liked the red head.

QUESTION: the doctor only has 10 regenerations in total? this is his eleventh:confused::confused:

Gutsman Heavy
20th April 2010, 11:50 PM
a dalek did it!

griffin
21st April 2010, 12:04 AM
watched the first ep. liked the red head.

QUESTION: the doctor only has 10 regenerations in total? this is his eleventh:confused::confused:

12 regenerations, so 13 doctors... until a plot device occurs giving him a new set of lives to keep the series going on and on and on and on...

Hursticon
21st April 2010, 11:27 AM
Griffin is right, they kind of shot themselves in the foot by placing a limit on regenerations, lol, does anybody know which Doctor stated it? by memory I think it was between the 3rd and 5th Doctors though I could be wrong. :p

Paulbot
21st April 2010, 11:46 AM
Simple resolution to the number of regenerations: just say the limit on regenerations was just a law the Time Lords enforced. No Time Lords, no more limits. Or you know, take a James Bond like approach?

I wasn't sure about this new incarnation before I watched the first episode, but by the end of the episode I thought David Who? Amy's pretty great so far too. I don't like the new desktop theme in the TARDIS though.

1orion2many
21st April 2010, 12:09 PM
:(Sorry the Young Doc's don't float my boat:(, Tom Baker was my favourite closely followed by John Pertwee but you Young uns are most probably going John Who:p:D

Sky Shadow
21st April 2010, 12:54 PM
:(Sorry the Young Doc's don't float my boat:(, Tom Baker was my favourite closely followed by John Pertwee but you Young uns are most probably going John Who:p:D

Possibly because it's "Jon"?

The new season has been good - the Stephen Moffatt era so far is definitely better than the past few years of Russell T Davies. At least the dei ex machina basically make sense for once.

And Amy Pond is dreamy.

Burn
22nd April 2010, 10:26 PM
12 regenerations, so 13 doctors... until a plot device occurs giving him a new set of lives to keep the series going on and on and on and on...

Perfect example being The Master.

The Richard Delgado Master was The Master's final regeneration, however he cheated it by using the body of Nyssa's father and regenerated into Anthony Ainley's Master.

He was then executed by The Dalek's in the movie however he managed to stay alive until he could find another body (Eric Roberts).

Some where along the line he got pulled out of The Eye of Harmony and as part of his contribution to the Time War was given a whole new body by The Time Lords.

And then he had his Lord Voldermort come back which was just your usual run of the mill RTD garbage.

1orion2many
22nd April 2010, 11:46 PM
Possibly because it's "Jon"?

The new season has been good - the Stephen Moffatt era so far is definitely better than the past few years of Russell T Davies. At least the dei ex machina basically make sense for once.

And Amy Pond is dreamy.

It was actually John Devon Roland Pertwee on his Birth certificate:cool:

Autocon
23rd April 2010, 10:04 PM
i love the new girl
what else has she been in?

snaketales
24th April 2010, 10:00 AM
Griffin is right, they kind of shot themselves in the foot by placing a limit on regenerations, lol, does anybody know which Doctor stated it? by memory I think it was between the 3rd and 5th Doctors though I could be wrong. :p

It was first mentioned in Tom Baker's The Deadly Assassin, to give a reason why The Master was after the Eye of Harmony (to extend his lifetime).

From Wikipedia:

It is first stated in The Deadly Assassin (1976) that a Time Lord can regenerate twelve times before dying (thirteen incarnations in all). There are exceptions to this rule....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Doctor_Who)

Sky Shadow
24th April 2010, 10:10 AM
i love the new girl
what else has she been in?

Your dreams.

(She was also in Doctor Who a couple of years ago as the Soothsayer in The Fires Of Pompeii: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Soothsayer. And she hasn't been in much else except The Kevin Bishop Show.)

SMHFConvoy
24th April 2010, 12:18 PM

It may be a limitation but it doesn't mean they can't do an interesting thing to side-step it or not go there at all e.g. Tenant stalling his regeneration by putting all of that energy into his spare hand...