PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review: 10 000 B.C.

TheDirtyDigger
10th March 2008, 08:24 AM
Well apart from not using the more politically correct term of BCE I thought that once this movie had got a crappy review in the Melbourne Herald-Sun it was sure to be good.....

Not so!

I just couldn't suspend my disbelief enough to get past some gaping plot-holes, geographical anomalies and the contrived, formulaic storyline.
The Mastadon effects are nice enough and it is ok escapism as long as you don't think too hard.

My wife loved it!:rolleyes:

This movie gets a Double D rating of 2 smilies out of 5!:):):(:(:(

Lord_Zed
10th March 2008, 08:45 PM
One of the girls at work saw it last week, she said it was horrible. I tried to find out more detail but only found out that the ancient cavepeople had immaculate hair and nails.

I think I shall avoid.

autobreadticon
10th March 2008, 08:50 PM
i wanted the cavemen to have flies hanging aroun them.. not real !! 1 star for me

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2008, 06:57 PM
I was really annoyed when I heard that they speak Modern English in Beowulf (still reluctant to see it for that reason)... the idea of people speaking Modern English in 10,000BCE ... words escape the ridiculousness.

And from what I've seen in the trailers, the actors all have modern day physiologies too - strong, tall, clean, good teeth, not limping... they should be filthy and disease-ridden like the peasants in Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Life of Brian, where even upper elite rich politicians like Pontius Pilate and Biggus Dickus had no access to speech therapy (because no amount of money at that time would've given them access to medical treatment that didn't exist back then!).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/pokeystockman/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRfKw)

TheDirtyDigger
11th March 2008, 07:40 PM
The Modern English wasn't too cringe-worthy as I've seen it in a series of movies some of you may have heard of....the Star Wars Saga.

However instead of seeing this I would recommend Apocolypto. Sure it's 11,500 years later and on a different continent but it's basically the same sort of deal....only decent scripting, acting, directing, storytelling and no obvious cgi.

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2008, 09:05 PM
Actually technically the English language doesn't exist in Star Wars. Human languages are used to represent fictional languages in the Star Wars universe - in the case of Modern English, it represents the Aurrabesh language (aka Galactic Basic). Some languages are combinations of human languages (e.g.: Ewokese is mostly Mongolian with some Nepalese and Tibetan thrown in) and others are just entirely fictional (e.g.: Wookie, Geonosian etc). Tolkien did the same thing where some real languages represented language of Middle Earth, e.g.: Modern English represented the language of Gondor, Old English represented Rohirrim (language of Rohan), whereas others were entirely fictional (e.g.: Elvish, Orcish, Dwarvish etc). and some were modifications of real languages, e.g.: Hobbitish is modified Modern English.

But yeah, real world languages technically don't exist in Star Wars or Tolkien literature.

Lord_Zed
11th March 2008, 09:57 PM
In the paper 10 000 bc got half a star.

Although I often disagree with the papers reviews, half a star is pretty telling.

I was really annoyed when I heard that they speak Modern English in Beowulf (still reluctant to see it for that reason)... the idea of people speaking Modern English in 10,000BCE ... words escape the ridiculousness.

In the case of Beowulf It's a stlylised fantasy version of an old poem, so I don't think there's anything wrong with having them speak modern english, its the same with 300. In the case of 10 000 BC, speaking modern english alone wouldn't bother me, but with so many other inacuracies, (perfect modern cavemen with bleached white teeth, giant sabertooths, the wheel, sail boats, modern cities) I think it would get annoying, its not like there following some established fantasy tale.

And mising Beowulfon the bigscreen would be a shame, those 3d glasses really worked! it really was cutting edge stuff, and the first of a new breed technology wise.

TheDirtyDigger
12th March 2008, 06:25 AM
Actually technically the English language doesn't exist in Star Wars. Human languages are used to represent fictional languages in the Star Wars universe

Actually, technically the English language doesn't exist in 10 000 BC either!:rolleyes:

Bartrim
12th March 2008, 08:08 AM
Actually technically the English language doesn't exist in Star Wars. Human languages are used to represent fictional languages in the Star Wars universe - in the case of Modern English, it represents the Aurrabesh language (aka Galactic Basic). .

So who's to say Modern English isn't used in this film to represent the caveman language in this film?

TheHandsomeCrab
13th March 2008, 04:29 AM
However instead of seeing this I would recommend Apocolypto. Sure it's 11,500 years later and on a different continent but it's basically the same sort of deal....only decent scripting, acting, directing, storytelling and no obvious cgi.
That was a terrible film stuffed full of historical inaccuracies. Just pro-Catholic drivel by that Gibson idiot. "We destroyed countless historic artefacts and documents for no reason, but they were all bloodthirsty savages so it's fine!". Enough to make you sick.

TheDirtyDigger
13th March 2008, 06:11 AM
That was a terrible film stuffed full of historical inaccuracies. Just pro-Catholic drivel by that Gibson idiot. "We destroyed countless historic artefacts and documents for no reason, but they were all bloodthirsty savages so it's fine!". Enough to make you sick.

List some of the historical inaccuracies to back up your statement THC.
And they weren't all bloodthirsty savages. Just the urban elite who were known to have a cult of sacrifice.

iceburn
13th March 2008, 07:50 AM
I so wanna watch this movie originally...but guess is better off "waiting"

Lord_Zed
13th March 2008, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by TheHandsomeCrab

I wanna see Mel Gibson direct a movie on the Spanish Inquisition, that would be cool.