PDA

View Full Version : Animated Activators (auto-transform is back).

griffin
10th March 2008, 02:37 PM
A new gimmick range, that looks to be about Basic size and with spring-loaded transformations - press a button and the toy transforms itself to robot mode.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/transformers-animated-activators-starscream-bumblebee-and-bulkhead-in-package-on-ebay-164388/

Three shown are Starscream, Bumblebee and Bulkhead.

autobreadticon
10th March 2008, 08:40 PM
they seem really cartoon accurate and have a unique mechanism, i wouldnt mind collecting them :)

MV75
10th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Awesome.

I want a jumpstarter bumble bee. :D

Also reminds of the duocons a little too.
________
No2 vaporizers (http://no2vaporizers.com)

1orion2many
10th March 2008, 09:27 PM
We really are going down kiddy lane here, these are for people who are unable to manage a simple transformation. The early basic BW's had a spring loaded transformation but it didn't last long. I always considered Transformers to teach some of our younger fans (and older:D) hand eye co-ordination and the ability to read and interpret instructions. Completely lost on spring loaded gimmicks:(.

griffin
11th March 2008, 01:24 AM
It's about getting their foot in the door, so to speak. The Animated toyline looks to have toys for a greater age range of kids, which would hopefully draw them into collecting more of the regular toys. Animated has paralled itself to Beast Wars in a number of ways - it is essentially resetting the demographic target to a lower age, and aim to grow up with them over 3-5 years - releasing more complex toys and more mature storylines. Beast Wars was the same, the early toys were very simplistic and some were even auto-transformers, while the cartoon itself in the first year was very kiddie focused, colourful and almost cutesy.
The Animated Activators aren't aimed at anyone over the age of four, but it 'brainwashes' those under 4s into thinking and talking and demanding Transformers for the next 6-8 years. A bit like Happy Meals and kids parties at McDonalds - they aren't aimed at adults, but they hook in the kiddies with a small meal and toy (with little profit) so that they can reap in a lifetime of sales later when they grow up later and only think of Mcdonalds when wanting fast food.
Try not to think of the Activators as toys that would be of any interest to us collectors, and instead evaluate them for their purpose and target demographic. Compared to Movie Slammers, at least the Activators have articulation and more accurate modes.

i_amtrunks
11th March 2008, 08:47 AM
With the way Hasbro writes their instruction manuals, I dont blame them going out and making springformers for the young ones again.

These guys look pretty good to me, I'll probably skip them myself due to money saving more than anything else, but they could make good presents to young tackers who arent quite old enough to start school.

1orion2many
11th March 2008, 01:10 PM
With the way Hasbro writes their instruction manuals, I dont blame them going out and making springformers for the young ones again.

These guys look pretty good to me, I'll probably skip them myself due to money saving more than anything else, but they could make good presents to young tackers who arent quite old enough to start school.

:)Hey I did say interpret the instructions:p:D

sifun
11th March 2008, 01:17 PM
its funny, kinda what supreme roll out prime is like but you have to roll him to get him transformed.
pity theres no real "leader" prime..

Gutsman Heavy
11th March 2008, 02:10 PM
Pretty cool, unless there are some dedicated activators only characters I'll skip them, except at chrissy, Ithink they'll make great charity presents for less fortunate children, spread the TF love!

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2008, 06:31 PM
Agreed. They're shooting themselves in the foot by making characters where there are better versions available. (-_-) Sure, original Rattrap and Terrorsaur were flipchangers, but those were the only versions of those characters available so it's not like they had any competition!

MV75
31st March 2008, 03:10 PM
Bumblebee on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150231195104

They still look pretty good for things that jump into robot modes.
________
ENZO FERRARI HISTORY (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Enzo_Ferrari)

i_amtrunks
31st March 2008, 03:37 PM
I am amazed at their actual size though, I presumed they would be bigger and easier to hold in little hands...

The_Damned
31st March 2008, 03:46 PM
yea i reckon they are pretty cool, would they be the cyberslammer price range?

STL
31st March 2008, 09:22 PM
Unlike the movie toys they look kinda neat. I might grab a few on sale. My sister *sigh* really digs the new BB. I for the life of me can't stand that brat.

MV75
31st March 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm starting to think of him as "cpt fanzones car" instead. :)
________
Buy Silver Surfer (http://www.vaporshop.com/silver-surfer-vaporizer.html)

i_amtrunks
1st April 2008, 08:58 AM
yea i reckon they are pretty cool, would they be the cyberslammer price range?

That makes the most sense to me, I'd be willing to part with $12 or for these guys. I've found the Cyber Slammers to be great distractions when younger relatives come to visit, these guys would be more of the same.

GoktimusPrime
1st April 2008, 06:54 PM
They're the new Basic/Scout Class price point. :)

i_amtrunks
2nd April 2008, 09:22 AM
They're the new Basic/Scout Class price point. :)

Damn, that means these guys will be in the $17 area... bloody store markups with every new line of Transformers figures.

Paulbot
5th April 2008, 12:16 AM
I am going to get all of these. Auto-transform's a bit misleading... they are more like the first year Beast Wars basics.

MV75
5th April 2008, 08:59 AM
So they don't transform when you press the button?
________
Mercedes-benz t2 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_T2)

Paulbot
5th April 2008, 11:32 AM
Yes. On Bumblebee the police light on his roof activates the transformation. It's a spring loaded so pressing releases the clip and he pops open and then you manually position the feet and arms. You have to manually transform it back to vehicle mode.

The Bumblebee IMO looks really good. It has the feel of a classic Bumblebee toy, small simple to transform. It's arms are weak though, no real forearms. If I was only getting one toy each of each character the activator one would be the one I'd get for Bumblebee.

MV75
5th April 2008, 10:32 PM
I just saw the video and now I understand more. It only just "pops out". I was expecting it to also jump onto its feet and be in standing robot mode.

Yea, I was only expecting a vehicle to robot with a manual robot to vehicle. :)

They very easily could have done that, (jumps to standing), why not, I dunno, but it would have more matched the show transformations if it did.
________
vapir oxygen vaporizer (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

STL
8th April 2008, 10:00 PM
More pics of Ratchet, Prime, Lockdown, Bulkhead, Starscream and BB
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=172506

I'm very impressed. They're in much better proportions than FAB and look to have decent articulation. At the price point of $12 on sale or even $15, coloured me a potential buyer.

Paulbot
9th April 2008, 07:53 AM
Just FYI they are much smaller than FAB toys, less than half their size.

STL
9th April 2008, 08:31 AM
Just FYI they are much smaller than FAB toys, less than half their size.

Yep, yep. I was more referring to them having good proportions and joints. Most of them seem to have elbow and knee ball points which make them neat smaller versions. And I doubt Hasbro would be generous enough to sell them to us at $15 if they were the same size at FABs!

GoktimusPrime
9th April 2008, 11:25 AM
I've been under the impression that, as the replacement for the Scout class price point, that they'd be about the same size as a Scout or Basic figure (approx. 10cm).

Paulbot
9th April 2008, 01:10 PM
The Bumblebee and Starscream activators I played with felt smaller than a Cybertron Scout toy and more like the size of the smaller Beast Wars Basics.

But yes they have better proportions and joints and a better feel than FABs.